HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings trade Jack Johnson and a 1st Round Pick to CBJ for Jeff Carter

Old
02-24-2012, 10:08 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Congrats on being the 48th person to crack that exact joke.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:09 AM
do0glas

hey guys,

seems like there is a lot of mixed opinion on carter/JJ trade.

you guys seem like a super defensive group and i wonder how carters production will be affected.
i dont know where to find the stats, but are most of his starts in his own zone and does he excel at pushing the play forward? or does he feed off of offensive zone starts?

just curious how you guys feel about him in your system rather than him as a player.

if its been posted forgive me, dont have a ton of time on my hands.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:13 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Anyone driving by by this thread to crack nightlife jokes or post photos of Richards and Carter having a good time (trust me, we've seen them all) gets a trolling infraction as a parting gift.

Trolling and thread hijacking are no bueno.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:26 AM
RyK15*

Hopefully Carter can put up his 30+ goals in LA's system.It's hilarious, in a season and a half, Philly's entire top line went to LA: Gagne - Richards - Carter.

RyK15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Uhhh... Long term contracts guarantee one thing and that is a **** load of money. Ntc are supposed to give you security of location. There is no backstabbing here or whatever other fancy words people are using.
BTW, I don't see this in other sports. Sure, teams trade players a year after signing them from free agency but this is different. JJ had been with the team the whole time and he got traded after signing an extension.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:56 AM
no name

Be right back.... dumping Carter from my fantasy leagues.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryb View Post
Hopefully Carter can put up his 30+ goals in LA's system.It's hilarious, in a season and a half, Philly's entire top line went to LA: Gagne - Richards - Carter.
Haha. If only Gagne were healthy.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
BTW, I don't see this in other sports. Sure, teams trade players a year after signing them from free agency but this is different. JJ had been with the team the whole time and he got traded after signing an extension.
It happens. I'm sure Johnson knew it would happen. defense was our strong spot, and seeing how Voynov did early on, it made Johnson expandable for the right piece if it became available. What else could we have traded for a top 6 goal scoring forward? Penner? combination of roster players, thus losing any kind of depth we had? Martinez? Johnson was the ONLY one that we had a replacement for. Bernier is still a solid goalie and clearly we couldn't get Sanford due to injury (and I heard Columbus didn't want him) so Bernier wasn't going to be moved there. The 1st rounder is a slight overpayment, but we needed Carter more than anything.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Lyndon Slewidge

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Be right back.... dumping Carter from my fantasy leagues.
You didn't do that a long time ago??

Lyndon Slewidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:10 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndon Slewidge View Post
You didn't do that a long time ago??
Good point. He couldn't be much worse I suppose.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:10 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
hey guys,

seems like there is a lot of mixed opinion on carter/JJ trade.

you guys seem like a super defensive group and i wonder how carters production will be affected.
i dont know where to find the stats, but are most of his starts in his own zone and does he excel at pushing the play forward? or does he feed off of offensive zone starts?

just curious how you guys feel about him in your system rather than him as a player.

if its been posted forgive me, dont have a ton of time on my hands.
Carter can push the play forward. Plays great D and has great speed leaving the zone.

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:15 AM
livingminimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
It happens. I'm sure Johnson knew it would happen. defense was our strong spot, and seeing how Voynov did early on, it made Johnson expandable for the right piece if it became available. What else could we have traded for a top 6 goal scoring forward? Penner? combination of roster players, thus losing any kind of depth we had? Martinez? Johnson was the ONLY one that we had a replacement for. Bernier is still a solid goalie and clearly we couldn't get Sanford due to injury (and I heard Columbus didn't want him) so Bernier wasn't going to be moved there. The 1st rounder is a slight overpayment, but we needed Carter more than anything.

This, and the numerous threads citing facts about Jack Johnson on-ice (good but not great, statistically pretty brutal), pretty much summarize this trade succinctly. Friendly-contract or no, Jack was never long for the Kings. I remember his dad telling anyone he'd meet that he couldn't wait for his son to get out of LA. Lots of factors here.

Luckily, Dean flying coach on crappy Aeroflot over the hellish ends of Russia and Central Asia to watch Voynov play during the 07/08 season made this all possible. You can disagree with some of his moves, but never doubt his work ethic.

Anyway, this trade is essentially a coup for Dean provided Carter plays well. Howson really should have pushed Carter to TOR for Schenn or something comparable.

livingminimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:17 AM
TML91

Leafs need a tendy What would it cost to get J Bernier from you guys

TML91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Does any other sport sign players to these long term deals? I know Albert Pujols just signed a long term deal in Anaheim but I believe that is anomaly in baseball. I think Basketball has some sort of restriction on term but I could be wrong about that. And in football it would be stupid to sign anyone much longer than say 5 years. These lifetime contracts in hockey are kinda unprecedented but I stand by what I said. Jack didn't get a NTC which means he could be out the door at any moment. I agree that it is a bit tacky and sends a bad message to RFA's but the Kings are desperate. If JJ played like one of our top defensemen, he wouldn't have got traded because we couldn't have afforded to move him. Unfortunately, Voynov came in and did as good of a job, if not better for less money. I didn't like how it went down with Visnovsky and this rubs me the wrong way initially but at the end of the day, I don't care about the players feelings. Like someone else mentioned in this thread, players get paid a boat load of money because the fans spend money on the team and watch the games on TV which creates ad revenue. Management owes it to the fans to ice the best team possible. I had mixed feellings about this initially but at the end of the day it makes the Kings better and that is all I care about.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Lyndon Slewidge

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Good point. He couldn't be much worse I suppose.
I had a great run this season, picked up Carter, Bobby Ryan and Chris Stewart in the draft only to have all of them crap the bed on me!! Ended up trading Ryan for Lucic straight up... and actually came out on top!

Lyndon Slewidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML91 View Post
Leafs need a tendy What would it cost to get J Bernier from you guys
Before we get to specifics, you'd have to promise to never use the word "tendy" again.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Bandit

Quote:
Before we get to specifics, you'd have to promise to never use the word "tendy" again.
I know you hate me, but I love you. So much.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
I know you hate me, but I love you. So much.
I only hated you for being right about the implosion in that game.
I can't quit you.

Old
02-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Quattro

Quote:

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
My little diatribe didn't judge the trade specifically because, like tomd said, Lombardi didn't have much of a choice - he had to make a move. We'll have to wait and see how things mesh.

I'm just concerned that the Kings as they are currently constituted just aren't that good - and they are almost out of options. They have traded away huge chunks of their high ranking prospects, young players, and high draft choices to win now AND they don't have any cap space left. Like Richards, Carter isn't the final piece of the puzzle - far from it, and now it looks like this could be a repeat of years ago when the Kings had a big time gap in their pipeline.

After listening to all of the hype over all those years, is this really the team that you envisioned?
The place in the standings isn't that good, but if you asked me five years ago if I thought the rebuild would lead to the team looking this good on paper, I'd have told you no. Hell, three years ago I would have said no. There were times I didn't think the prospects and young guys we had then were anywhere near good enough to make this a successful team. Now we have guys who we know can make the team successful, whether or not they actually will is another thing entirely.

Next season is when we're going to see if this thing is for real or not. With the Penner and Stoll problems removed, coach having a full training camp to remove the stain of Terry Murray, and finally a 35 goal scorer type. This one isn't over by any stretch, but we'll see how that goes.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:16 PM
whskybarJM

ive always been a fan of the kings but I am sorry. have fun with old high and wide.

whskybarJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:22 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Any updates on if he will play Sat? There was initial reports that he wouldn't arrive in LA till Sat night, but on Hammonds blog it say's he may be able to play if the physicals are all completed.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Looks like Andrei Loktionov has been reassigned to Manchester with Stoll going back to C.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Leo W

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Looks like Andrei Loktionov has been reassigned to Manchester with Stoll going back to C.
I don't think Andrei will have to wait that long before being called up again, tbh.

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Booooo!