HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings trade Jack Johnson and a 1st Round Pick to CBJ for Jeff Carter

Old
02-29-2012, 06:06 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Yeah we'll never know...

I was sad to see him go, because I know Jack wanted to very much be part of the first cup team in Los Angeles.

I do however see Jack back in LA when he is a free agent way down the road.
Not if Lombardi is still GM. Besides, we all know he's a Red Wing at heart.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:51 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Not if Lombardi is still GM. Besides, we all know he's a Red Wing at heart.
Why not if DL is GM? I don't think a grudge will linger in this situation on either side.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Why not if DL is GM? I don't think a grudge will linger in this situation on either side.
I think it's missing the .

It's the old open joke that JJ was just waiting to either go to Russia or demand a trade/sign with the Red Wings. I think it's a little old at this time..

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Johnny Utah

Look what they said during the NBC Broadcast last night, Sutter said Voynov is as good as JJ offensively and better defensively. Enough said.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:03 AM
gonnaneedsomewine

It's a steal to get a 30-40 goal scorer locked up long term at a reasonable cap hit for an overrated physical specimen defenseman who is always -15 to -20 on pretty defensively solid teams.

If we traded JJ, I thought we were going to be getting a young forward with potential who hasn't really broken through yet like JVR, not a proven sniper like Carter.

I think this is one of the better deals Dean has ever made. The only thing I don't like is giving up the 1st rounder.

gonnaneedsomewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:28 AM
King Richards
Dry Island II

My only concern for Voynov is his durability. His abilities at the NHL level seem to be pretty obvious. Jack looks like he's a truck out there, like you can't hurt him. VV looks a bit more fragile, but we'll see.

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:51 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
My only concern for Voynov is his durability. His abilities at the NHL level seem to be pretty obvious. Jack looks like he's a truck out there, like you can't hurt him. VV looks a bit more fragile, but we'll see.
That's why the Kings have Drewiske (and possibly Muzzin or Hickey next year) so that Voinov can sit once in a while or in case he gets banged up. Any of those three I think would do a decent job of filling in as needed as the 7th guy.

tigermask48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
Didn't Jack miss half a season due to injury? Injuries happen to everyone.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:33 AM
no name

I have a hard time believing JJ is a Red Wings type player. Takes two to tango, right?

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:27 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
I have a hard time believing JJ is a Red Wings type player. Takes two to tango, right?
Did you think Brad Stuart was though? I mean he was almost as big a turnover machine and screw up as JJ was at times and Detroit loves him.

Old
03-01-2012, 11:36 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Did you think Brad Stuart was though? I mean he was almost as big a turnover machine and screw up as JJ was at times and Detroit loves him.
Yep. Stuart simplified his game a lot when he got to Detroit. He concentrated on taking care of his own end first and didn't worry about generating offense. Easy to do when you have Lidstrom and Rafalski on the team already.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:36 PM
flyerfanish

I really don't understand the whole "injury prone" thing.
Carter was called the ironman before he broke his first foot before the playoffs in 2010. I think he had the most games played streak on the flyers roster before those broken feet... That ofc included a postseason with a ****ed shoulder in 2009. But luck or bad luck can't last forever, just look at Lupul.

I think Carter will be a beast in LA. I think the "partying" with Richards was way overblown and he'll be VERY motivated to play with Richards again.

My guess is that this trade was a steal for you guys, and will be a good trade for Columbus aswell.

flyerfanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Bingo. Besides, everybody in Detroit knows that ANY player can adapt to their system. Using Brad Stuart and Todd Bertuzzi as examples.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 08:46 AM
livingminimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Bingo. Besides, everybody in Detroit knows that ANY player can adapt to their system. Using Brad Stuart and Todd Bertuzzi as examples.

Yep...there's these two guys, Ken and Nick...maybe you all have heard of them...

livingminimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:07 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Is there anybody still even questioning the trade now? Johnson is a defensive disaster, low hockey IQ and the only way he turns his career around is if he signs with Detroit (after his contract expires). This is an outright steal for the Kings, no doubt in my mind, take it to the bank!

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Aussie King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Is there anybody still even questioning the trade now? Johnson is a defensive disaster, low hockey IQ and the only way he turns his career around is if he signs with Detroit (after his contract expires). This is an outright steal for the Kings, no doubt in my mind, take it to the bank!
Voynov has already slotted into JJ's place quite nicely.

Aussie King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:47 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Was it ever not considered one? I mean almost all of us around here knew what Johnson was and always went on about what he could be someday. It was the rest of this place that doesn't watch him on a regular basis that thought he was a stud because he's a high draft pick...

Old
03-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

See? I told you Jeff Carter sucks

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventyx7 View Post
See? I told you Jeff Carter sucks
Yeah he does. He was directly responsible for the beer incident last night.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:34 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
The biggest question that I had about the trade was whether this would instantly turn the team around and allow them to be more than just challengers to make the playoffs. Anything less than immediate playoff success would probably foretell a very long dry spell.

Let's hope that the Time really is now...

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:43 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
The biggest question that I had about the trade was whether this would instantly turn the team around and allow them to be more than just challengers to make the playoffs. Anything less than immediate playoff success would probably foretell a very long dry spell.

I agree with this and still think that Carter will have his ups and downs for the rest of this season but all in all he has given us something that we needed desperately and that is a pure sniper with good size and a nice turn of speed. It spreads out our opponents when they have another player to worry about like him.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:27 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I agree with this and still think that Carter will have his ups and downs for the rest of this season but all in all he has given us something that we needed desperately and that is a pure sniper with good size and a nice turn of speed. It spreads out our opponents when they have another player to worry about like him.
The thing with Carter is, he used to be pretty streaky but last season he evened that out. Hopefully that continues. It's also interesting to see that he and Richards are starting to click, the first time they played together was in the 2010 playoffs in the final game of the conference finals and then for the 6 game series vs Chicago. Then last season they played together a bit but for most of the season he was on Giroux's wing and they worked really well. I like that they're both playing the pp and pk because that will further help the chemistry. He didn't play the pk much in Philly because they had 2 forward pairs in Richards/Giroux and Betts/Powe.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post

There is no way PSP typed this sentence. No way.

Change your passwords everyone. Someone be hacking!

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
I still think the time is next season, although getting into the playoffs this time looks much better from my perspective than it did even a week ago.

If the Kings had Carter for a full season, I don't think not making the playoffs would be something we'd be considering as a possibility right now. The deal has changed the team.

Not having to watch guys scramble to cover for Johnson's defensive blunders is a relief too.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I still think the time is next season, although getting into the playoffs this time looks much better from my perspective than it did even a week ago.

If the Kings had Carter for a full season, I don't think not making the playoffs would be something we'd be considering as a possibility right now. The deal has changed the team.

Not having to watch guys scramble to cover for Johnson's defensive blunders is a relief too.
True..true

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote