HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings trade Jack Johnson and a 1st Round Pick to CBJ for Jeff Carter

Old
02-23-2012, 06:56 PM
The Butcher
A True American

vCash: 500
I think that the Kings need to make a move like this. The team needs a shakeup in one form or another. The Murray firing got us some added fire temporarily but now something obviously needs to happen.

I guess my real question is do you guys really think DL is going to be fired if the Kings miss the playoffs?

I mean, I'm not arguing (necessarily) that it isn't the right move but NHL GM's have been given alot longer to do alot less on other teams.

The fact of the matter is that good teams have down years. And seemingly mediocre teams have caught lightning in a bottle and made it through May and sometimes even through June.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
King Richards
Dry Island II

The Carter deal leaking is one thing, but Brown's name being bandied about now is pure speculation. Let's not get caught up here.

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Hey guys, so what's the general consensus here? Is Carter worth what is reportedly being offered? Even if it goes down do we see DL go for more help up front ie. Nash, Hemsky, etc.? I'd assume that if their 1st and JJ are moved for Carter that Nash to LA is all but dead. I'd assume that a rebuilding team like Columbus would covet top young NHL talent or 1st round picks for both players.

FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
"Dennis Bernstein ‏ @DennisTFP
Bob McKenzie says Kings Jonathan Bernier and Dustin Brown (good cap hit) in discussion though nothing close."

Dean going all out?
Please no

FrozenKing18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

If JVR is on the table IMO he's the guy that DL should target, big, explosive skater, and still coming into his own, not to mention a hell of a lot cheaper than Nash.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KingsCourt

deal had to be made...you know we'd have to over pay cause teams see we cant score for ****

KingsCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
drbob

If we substitute someone else instead of Brownie, then I'm cool with that trade, but he is one tough, physical forward that we can't replace,

as our team cannot afford to lose any toughness,

Keep Brown and put someone else in his place, Dean!!!!

or go get JVR and don't give up too much doing it...

drbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post

JJ + Bernier + Brown + Pick for Carter + Nash?

I don't buy it. I doubt Lombardi is that desperate. Don't regard TFP with much more than a grain of salt.
I would go *******.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:59 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Hey guys, so what's the general consensus here? Is Carter worth what is reportedly being offered?
Kings fans are apparently split. I believe Carter is what this team needs and PMD is our biggest organizational strength, so yes.

Quote:
Even if it goes down do we see DL go for more help up front ie. Nash, Hemsky, etc.?
We'll see. I wouldn't doubt it. We now need bottom six help like a Moen type.

Quote:
I'd assume that if their 1st and JJ are moved for Carter that Nash to LA is all but dead. I'd assume that a rebuilding team like Columbus would covet top young NHL talent or 1st round picks for both players.
Nash to LA is dead unless we pull off a mega blockbuster for Carter and Nash (highly doubt it).

Old
02-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob View Post
If we substitute someone else instead of Brownie, then I'm cool with that trade, but he is one tough, physical forward that we can't replace,

as our team cannot afford to lose any toughness,

Keep Brown and put someone else in his place, Dean!!!!
Its not Brown to CBJ, itd be a seperate trade

Moses Doughty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:00 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
We started this season with six former 30-goal scorers (Gagne had 40 but we all knew he wouldn't match that) and three former 20-goal scorers (admitedly two were Hunter and Moreau). That, and we had Kyle Clifford, Trevor Lewis, Brad Richardson, Andrei Loktionov, Scott Parse, Dwight King, Jordan Nolan, Colin Fraser, and Kevin Westgarth competing for the other spots. That's 18 NHL-capable forwards. How can you possibly equip a team with better depth than that? This isn't a rose-colored-glasses perspective, nobody could have predicted the Kings' offense would be this bad, even the most cynical on this board.

The players have been underachieving as a whole and for whatever reason did not respond to the coaching change. If they don't respond to one of the core players getting shipped out, then something is seriously wrong and it's not something that firing a GM in bringing in a new set of personnel is going to change.
I guess it all boils down to if you believe it was the right move to put all those eggs in those baskets. Penner had every warning sign imaginable shipped with him. Gagne was a declining player who is never healthy. Parse never accomplished anything and was always injured. All the young guys had not proven anything.

I still like the Richards move, but again he was a semi injury prone player with character issues and had been declining for reasons unknown.

Carter has all of the same issues and is not a fit for the current regime.

He's brought in all of these question marks who are all trending down and are questionable character guys. Some of which are locked in albatross contracts. He has traded away guys who are high character guys, trending up and locked up to healthy contracts. Just last year he preached about signing the right guys in FA where they come free. Now he's trading away the right guys for the wrong ones. It just irritates me.

With all that said, if the Kings start entertaining me I'll be happy in about 2 minutes.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Shellz

Just for the love of god leave Quick alone!!!!!

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:02 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Oh man, hilarious!

Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie: Jeff Carter is at a Blue Jacket fan event tonight until 8 pm CT. Could he be traded while at a fan event? #awkward? #TradeCentre #tsn

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:04 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
We started this season with six former 30-goal scorers (Gagne had 40 but we all knew he wouldn't match that) and three former 20-goal scorers (admitedly two were Hunter and Moreau). That, and we had Kyle Clifford, Trevor Lewis, Brad Richardson, Andrei Loktionov, Scott Parse, Dwight King, Jordan Nolan, Colin Fraser, and Kevin Westgarth competing for the other spots. That's 18 NHL-capable forwards. How can you possibly equip a team with better depth than that? This isn't a rose-colored-glasses perspective, nobody could have predicted the Kings' offense would be this bad, even the most cynical on this board.

The players have been underachieving as a whole and for whatever reason did not respond to the coaching change. If they don't respond to one of the core players getting shipped out, then something is seriously wrong and it's not something that firing a GM in bringing in a new set of personnel is going to change.
King and Nolan are playing in the top 6 and you think this team has good depth?

Bringing up names like Lewis, Richardson, Parse, King, Nolan, Fraser, Westgarth ect isn't helping your argument. These guys are fringe NHLers. Every team has players like that, they're a dime a dozen.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:04 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Oh man, hilarious!
Same thing happened to Eric Gordon of the Clippers when he was traded for Chris Paul.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:07 PM
ShattStar03

I would never trade JJ, 1st, for Carter no ****ing way. This team will help the Kings for 2-3 years but will **** them once Jack hits his prime.

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
I would never trade JJ, 1st, for Carter no ****ing way. This team will help the Kings for 2-3 years but will **** them once Jack hits his prime.

Not really. What JJ does or doesn't do is irrelevant so long as Carter keeps on doing what he does. 30 goals a year. JJ is welcome to go and have a nice successful career.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
where there is smoke there is fire.
Remember when Chara signed with the Kings?

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Hey guys, so what's the general consensus here? Is Carter worth what is reportedly being offered? Even if it goes down do we see DL go for more help up front ie. Nash, Hemsky, etc.? I'd assume that if their 1st and JJ are moved for Carter that Nash to LA is all but dead. I'd assume that a rebuilding team like Columbus would covet top young NHL talent or 1st round picks for both players.
The feelings here depend on what people think about Jack. Lots of mixed feelings over here about him.

I'm personally not a big Jack Johnson guy, so to me, Carter is worth what's rumored to be heading Columbus way. We could be in the market for a rental D or may swap Brown/Bernier for another forward, so I expect we'd still be active.

Brown/Bernier in tandem would net a really big return, Bernier not a huge return, Brown by himself would be worth a fair bit. Hemsky naturally fits what the Kings like trading for (injury prone guys), so it wouldn't be shocking, but almost everyone here wants Dean to steer clear of him. If we don't have a first, we don't have a second to put with a prospect either, so it would seem like there's nothing that would make sense for both teams with regard to Hemsky.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kingscourt26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
Not really. What JJ does or doesn't do is irrelevant so long as Carter keeps on doing what he does. 30 goals a year. JJ is welcome to go and have a nice successful career.
Is it even possible to have a 30 goal scorer in a Murray or Sutter system? Frolov was a 30 goal scorer.

kingscourt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:11 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Remember when Chara signed with the Kings?
and kovy

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:12 PM
BigBrown
They did it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
I think that's a very valid concern. Let's hope those 2-3 years are good ones.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:12 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Man this deal has been out there for a while now, this has to be hard on JJ especially without it being official yet. You know his phone is blowing up.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:13 PM
NoLocus*

How is Brown doing this year? Heard he would only be moved because of Cap issues with Carter coming in. What would be his value in a trade with the Oilers?

NoLocus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:13 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

bouncing around it looks to me that the Kings are working on two deals

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote