HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings trade Jack Johnson and a 1st Round Pick to CBJ for Jeff Carter

Old
02-23-2012, 08:13 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLocus View Post
How is Brown doing this year? Heard he would only be moved because of Cap issues with Carter coming in. What would be his value in a trade with the Oilers?
There are no cap issues with JJ going the other way.

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscourt26 View Post
Is it even possible to have a 30 goal scorer in a Murray or Sutter system? Frolov was a 30 goal scorer.
Sure... Our "system" is the most common system in all of hockey. So yea... people score,,,

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:14 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

As frustrating as Brown can be, at a $3M cap hit you seriously can't get a more bang for buck guy. The potential return better be something magical, or else I'm gonna be mad.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:15 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
How is Brown doing this year? Heard he would only be moved because of Cap issues with Carter coming in. What would be his value in a trade with the Oilers?
More than you're willing to part with.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
As frustrating as Brown can be, at a $3M cap hit you seriously can't get a more bang for buck guy. The potential return better be something magical, or else I'm gonna be mad.
Yeah, pretty ridiculous. Short of trading for Pominville which is somewhat lateral or something completely unrealistic, there isn't a Brown trade that would leave me satisfied.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shellz

Quote:
Pretty much.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
The difference between JJ's contract and Carter's is less than a million. It wouldn't be due to a cap issue unless the player coming back for Brown has a bigger contract.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tadite

Eklund is so pathetic. He's writing rumors like he created them without sourcing. Such blatant plagiarism.

Old
kingscourt26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
Sure... Our "system" is the most common system in all of hockey. So yea... people score,,,
Maybe in 1998. Pasting Kopitar to the half wall is a common system? Moulson says hi.

Too much relies on getting shots from the point. In the NHL now, you have 6 goalies on the ice. It's a momentum game, not a pick up garbage game.

kingscourt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Don't kid yourselves, this is a huge gamble. Seriously. It's a potential franchise defining move. Carter could turn out to be nothing more than another Dustin Penner in this system but one we're stuck with for TEN YEARS and Jack could potentially blossom now that he's the go-to guy and become the #1 defender he always seemed just a few steps away from becoming.

That's the worst case scenario. I doubt that's what's gonna happen but I also doubted that all three out of Penner, Gagne and Stoll would flop this season.
Agreed 100%

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Yeah, pretty ridiculous. Short of trading for Pominville or something completely unrealistic, there isn't a Brown trade that would leave me satisfied.
+1. Brown gettting traded would be the end of all. That's the one where we'd have to have an actual massive stupid crazy return.

He's a true King with the best bang for the buck contract in the NHL.

Old
02-23-2012, 08:18 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

It would be mistake to get rid of Brown.

DocWest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:19 PM
ShattStar03

I say you chalk this season as a loss, keep the roster, fire Dean and clean house. No need trading your most valuable assets for players who will won't get you passed a first round loss (if you're lucky to make the playoffs).

**** trade Bernier for Pominville, get someone to shake up the roster without costing us big assets.

What Dean is doing, he is doing what every desperate person is trying to do to save their job.

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
King Richards
Dry Island II

There are very few players in the league who could come back in a Brown trade where I wouldn't be furious about it. I highly doubt a deal with Brown actually gets done. It just wouldn't make sense.

Old
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
King and Nolan are playing in the top 6 and you think this team has good depth?

Bringing up names like Lewis, Richardson, Parse, King, Nolan, Fraser, Westgarth ect isn't helping your argument. These guys are fringe NHLers. Every team has players like that, they're a dime a dozen.
Players like that are only a dime a dozen until they establish themselves on a winning team. A couple years ago when the Bruins were last in the NHL in scoring people would have said the same things about a lot of their players. Brad Marchand had 1 point in 20 games. Lucic had 20 in 50. Marco Sturm led that team in goals with 22. One year later they won the cup. The difference between a bad team with good players and a good team is not that drastic.

King and Nolan are only playing in the top six because Penner has been a total bust and Parse and Gagne are both hurt. Loktionov could have stepped up and grabbed a top-six spot but has really not shown all that much. Everything that could have gone wrong has gone wrong. There are so few teams in the league with six legitimate top six forwards that the fact that we entered the season with eight possible candidates (Kopitar, Richards, Brown, Williams, Penner, Parse, Gagne, Loktionov) was promising.

Somehow we're still in a playoff spot. It's not too late to salvage this season and I don't think trading for Carter is in any way negative long-term. We're adding one of the most established goal scorers in the NHL and trading away a guy who we can readily replace from within (Voynov). It's a smart move to me.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:21 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Players like that are only a dime a dozen until they establish themselves on a winning team. A couple years ago when the Bruins were last in the NHL in scoring people would have said the same things about a lot of their players. Brad Marchand had 1 point in 20 games. Lucic had 20 in 50. Marco Sturm led that team in goals with 22. One year later they won the cup. The difference between a bad team with good players and a good team is not that drastic.

King and Nolan are only playing in the top six because Penner has been a total bust and Parse and Gagne are both hurt. Loktionov could have stepped up and grabbed a top-six spot but has really not shown all that much. Everything that could have gone wrong has gone wrong. There are so few teams in the league with six legitimate top six forwards that the fact that we entered the season with eight possible candidates (Kopitar, Richards, Brown, Williams, Penner, Parse, Gagne, Loktionov) was promising.

Somehow we're still in a playoff spot. It's not too late to salvage this season and I don't think trading for Carter is in any way negative long-term. We're adding one of the most established goal scorers in the NHL and trading away a guy who we can readily replace from within (Voynov). It's a smart move to me.
Man do I wish more people exhibited this kind of common sense on these boards.

Old
02-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Yeah, pretty ridiculous. Short of trading for Pominville which is somewhat lateral or something completely unrealistic, there isn't a Brown trade that would leave me satisfied.
Couldn't have said it better. Short of a Benn/Giroux/Seguin type return (which would obviously never happen), there is no Brown trade that makes sense. Hometown discount, captain, effort never in question, physically imposing, been here since we were in the cellar. I want Nash bad but wouldn't even include him in a Nash trade. He may not be a superstar but if he get's moved I will be furious.

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:23 PM
damacles1156

Quote:

At least I don't have to watch Jack miss the net in prime scoring area's. Now if Drew would take some shooting practice hmmmmm.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:24 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:

To me, this makes alot of sense.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NoLocus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
The difference between JJ's contract and Carter's is less than a million. It wouldn't be due to a cap issue unless the player coming back for Brown has a bigger contract.
Maybe I just misheard McKenzie then, didn't know his cap hit was only around 3.

NoLocus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Nex06

Perhaps this was leaked on purpose so that Lombardi could get easier something else. Remember when he lied to Hammond before?

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I can say goodbye to Johnson, but Brown would be a whole different story. My newest jersey is a Brown jersey. He would be my favorite player on the team if we didn't have Richards.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:27 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Quote:
Maybe I just misheard McKenzie then, didn't know his cap hit was only around 3.
I just watched it and McKenzie did say for cap reasons. I think he meant because Brown has such an attractive cap/contract, that it increases his value.

Old
02-23-2012, 08:28 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

I'm scared now.

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:30 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Players like that are only a dime a dozen until they establish themselves on a winning team.
And most of them never do.

The Kings forward lines are very depleted and lacking depth RIGHT NOW, and that's one of the primary reasons they're not scoring.

Nearly all our production has come from Kopitar, Willliams, Brown and Richards. There's no secondary scoring here. Statistically speaking, the Kings production has come from a smaller percentage of players than nearly any other team in the league; that's the very definition of lacking depth.

It's not about injuries or "what ifs" or "former scorers"; the lineup the Kings are icing RIGHT NOW is very shallow, and they're playing a system that is not conducive to offensive production.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote