HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

What is the biggest need RIGHT NOW?

Old
02-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Internazionale

vCash: 500
What is the biggest need RIGHT NOW?

Is it a change in goal? A stud DEFENSIVE DMAN? Is Rick Nash the answer to be a spark up front? I can honestly see Doug Wilson making 2-3 changes, but don't want to lose the likes of Pavelski, Couture. Would a second rounder for Matt Hackett from Minnesota be a good option? Obviously my biggest need would be in net to shake things up and hopefully give the team a much needed boost. What do want to see?

Internazionale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:39 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Getting rid of Colin White.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internazionale View Post
Is it a change in goal? A stud DEFENSIVE DMAN? Is Rick Nash the answer to be a spark up front? I can honestly see Doug Wilson making 2-3 changes, but don't want to lose the likes of Pavelski, Couture. Would a second rounder for Matt Hackett from Minnesota be a good option? Obviously my biggest need would be in net to shake things up and hopefully give the team a much needed boost. What do want to see?
Getting Douglas Murray healthy would be a good start if it pushes Colin White out of the lineup. Giving Greiss a week's worth of starts would also help. They don't need to change anything offensively. It will come naturally. Their commitment to defense is and has been waning since the All-Star Break. Until that is changed, and it's not the coaches as they've been harping on it since the problems started, losses will keep piling up.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:42 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
1st get healthy.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
Getting rid of Colin White.
priority numero uno

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:44 PM
SJeasy

No big trades. The deadline big trades generally don't put teams over the top. It is generally the secondary moves.

I don't want Nash and would bet that it would diminish the slim chance the Sharks already have for the cup. IMO, the Sharks hopes are in the hands of the health Gods and coaching and players. A lot of enlightenment would go a long way.

Best coaching moves would be White out of the lineup to get time for the guys who would actually be workable for the playoffs. A reworking of the PK to a more aggressive style. A permanent demotion of Handzus to the 4th line. Put up with line shuffling while the coaching puts it on the lesser players to put up performance or sit in the PB. Possible decrement to JT's minutes (or any other top guy's minutes (Boyle, Pavs, Clowe)) if they don't take care of the puck.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:45 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

Confidence.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:47 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Our biggest need right now is patience.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:53 PM
sjsharklover

Beating Minnesota

sjsharklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
No big trades. The deadline big trades generally don't put teams over the top. It is generally the secondary moves.

I don't want Nash and would bet that it would diminish the slim chance the Sharks already have for the cup. IMO, the Sharks hopes are in the hands of the health Gods and coaching and players. A lot of enlightenment would go a long way.

Best coaching moves would be White out of the lineup to get time for the guys who would actually be workable for the playoffs. A reworking of the PK to a more aggressive style. A permanent demotion of Handzus to the 4th line. Put up with line shuffling while the coaching puts it on the lesser players to put up performance or sit in the PB. Possible decrement to JT's minutes (or any other top guy's minutes (Boyle, Pavs, Clowe)) if they don't take care of the puck.
I actually disagree with the more aggressive PK. The cross-box passes are happening because they're over-aggressive positionally to the guy in the slot AND playing the point guy closest to the puck-carrier to tight. Once that pass gets through, they enter scramble mode and fail miserably. If they had the speed throughout their lineup to be aggressive on the puck carrier and still get back in position, I'd be fine with it. However, they just don't have the personnel for it. They're too slow to play aggressive.

As for demotions and cutting ice time, I agree with White out of the lineup and cutting ice time to Thornton and Boyle especially. Taking them off the PK would be a good start. Handzus to the 4th line would be great if they had someone to play the third line center spot with Moore out of the lineup. They don't. If you move Handzus down, you either break up Rifleman-Desi, move Wingels or Mitchell into the center spot, or break up the top line.

The first thing I would do in terms of an acquisition is find a depth defenseman or another depth forward. If you get the forward, you can move Vandermeer back to D where he should be the first guy in after someone gets hurt rather than White. I'd rather they call up Taylor Doherty at this point than continue to play Colin White. It's that bad.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Winning games.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:59 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
Getting rid of..

"He who shall not be named"

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:00 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
Resigning Wallin and trading for Huskins

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:02 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I actually disagree with the more aggressive PK. The cross-box passes are happening because they're over-aggressive positionally to the guy in the slot AND playing the point guy closest to the puck-carrier to tight. Once that pass gets through, they enter scramble mode and fail miserably. If they had the speed throughout their lineup to be aggressive on the puck carrier and still get back in position, I'd be fine with it. However, they just don't have the personnel for it. They're too slow to play aggressive.

As for demotions and cutting ice time, I agree with White out of the lineup and cutting ice time to Thornton and Boyle especially. Taking them off the PK would be a good start. Handzus to the 4th line would be great if they had someone to play the third line center spot with Moore out of the lineup. They don't. If you move Handzus down, you either break up Rifleman-Desi, move Wingels or Mitchell into the center spot, or break up the top line.

The first thing I would do in terms of an acquisition is find a depth defenseman or another depth forward. If you get the forward, you can move Vandermeer back to D where he should be the first guy in after someone gets hurt rather than White. I'd rather they call up Taylor Doherty at this point than continue to play Colin White. It's that bad.
They are playing the weakside forward passive on all but the Marleau/Pavs pairing. Very close to 1-1-2. IMO, it would be better to stop or deflect the pass from the dman that sets up the cross ice than to worry about what happens should it get through. They will give up some cross ice but I think on balance that they will come out ahead.

I did mean to say on the lineup moves that it would depend on health. I really prefer Desi on third even with Moore out.

I think they would have a hard time acquiring a depth dman as that type of transaction is usually pick for player and the Sharks don't have an open contract slot.

I would go Irwin over Doherty as Irwin is a lefty and Doherty a righty. Don't want them swapping on their first callup to play.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
They are playing the weakside forward passive on all but the Marleau/Pavs pairing. Very close to 1-1-2. IMO, it would be better to stop or deflect the pass from the dman that sets up the cross ice than to worry about what happens should it get through. They will give up some cross ice but I think on balance that they will come out ahead.

I did mean to say on the lineup moves that it would depend on health. I really prefer Desi on third even with Moore out.

I think they would have a hard time acquiring a depth dman as that type of transaction is usually pick for player and the Sharks don't have an open contract slot.

I would go Irwin over Doherty as Irwin is a lefty and Doherty a righty. Don't want them swapping on their first callup to play.
The problem though with giving up the cross box passes is that their recovery is awful. They have frequent issues when the pass goes from the forward to the weak side d-man who then slides towards the middle. Couture and Desi got confused on who was supposed to challenge the shot and it got through. That's not the first time that's happened with the group as a whole.

The first thing they should be focusing on as a collective on the PK is preventing cross-box passes. Yes, they will go across along the perimeter and that's fine but getting it through the box causes the forwards to get turned around and that is what creates the confusion that inevitably leads to a goal. The simpler they make it, especially for guys like Desjardins and Thornton, who are not sound positionally, the better they'll be.

I would not be opposed to Irwin but the point of saying Doherty is to show how bad I believe it has gotten with White. I think Doherty switching for his first NHL game would have a better chance at success at this point.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Phu

Get colin white out of the lineup. Get murray back. Stay healthy. Continue to develop chemistry. Get Niemi out of his slump.

or

Acquire Nabby

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Iron Chef

1) Bench Colin White
2) Our talent, playing to their talents, especially D and goaltending
3) Getting healthy

We have the team on paper that can win a cup. Instead of seeking for help through a trade, we can do this by just having our existing team elevate their game and work as a team. I saw too many guys last night trying to do it all on their own.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:22 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
The problem though with giving up the cross box passes is that their recovery is awful. They have frequent issues when the pass goes from the forward to the weak side d-man who then slides towards the middle. Couture and Desi got confused on who was supposed to challenge the shot and it got through. That's not the first time that's happened with the group as a whole.

The first thing they should be focusing on as a collective on the PK is preventing cross-box passes. Yes, they will go across along the perimeter and that's fine but getting it through the box causes the forwards to get turned around and that is what creates the confusion that inevitably leads to a goal. The simpler they make it, especially for guys like Desjardins and Thornton, who are not sound positionally, the better they'll be.

I would not be opposed to Irwin but the point of saying Doherty is to show how bad I believe it has gotten with White. I think Doherty switching for his first NHL game would have a better chance at success at this point.
That confusion is what happens when the weakside forward is playing low middle.

BTW, I think they have demoted JT yet again on PK from #5/6 to #6/7.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:23 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 449
Defense, no question about it. There is no timetable for Murray, White is horse crap, and Niemi is left out to dry every game. All this Nash talk is useless if we don't improve our horrible D.

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:24 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
Confidence.

Lol that is awesome now if we could only find a pic of a guppy looking in the mirror and seeing a shark...

I agree with Jeasy. Although Wilson would be taking a big risk sitting on his hands. Pray for health...

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:25 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

We need to get healthy - Murray on D is missed for sure. Havlat, etc are all needed on the ice not the training room.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:26 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:

Or they could just play Vandy as a defenseman.,..

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:49 PM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
Weber

HOOCH2173 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:53 PM
sjshrky27

Niko Dimitrakos!

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
Niko Dimitrakos!
yeah screw taco torrey, we need the original.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote