HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

What is the biggest need RIGHT NOW?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2012, 01:36 PM
  #1
Internazionale
Registered User
 
Internazionale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 226
vCash: 500
What is the biggest need RIGHT NOW?

Is it a change in goal? A stud DEFENSIVE DMAN? Is Rick Nash the answer to be a spark up front? I can honestly see Doug Wilson making 2-3 changes, but don't want to lose the likes of Pavelski, Couture. Would a second rounder for Matt Hackett from Minnesota be a good option? Obviously my biggest need would be in net to shake things up and hopefully give the team a much needed boost. What do want to see?

Internazionale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:39 PM
  #2
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor
 
KpopandHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 8,573
vCash: 50
Getting rid of Colin White.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:40 PM
  #3
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 31,553
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internazionale View Post
Is it a change in goal? A stud DEFENSIVE DMAN? Is Rick Nash the answer to be a spark up front? I can honestly see Doug Wilson making 2-3 changes, but don't want to lose the likes of Pavelski, Couture. Would a second rounder for Matt Hackett from Minnesota be a good option? Obviously my biggest need would be in net to shake things up and hopefully give the team a much needed boost. What do want to see?
Getting Douglas Murray healthy would be a good start if it pushes Colin White out of the lineup. Giving Greiss a week's worth of starts would also help. They don't need to change anything offensively. It will come naturally. Their commitment to defense is and has been waning since the All-Star Break. Until that is changed, and it's not the coaches as they've been harping on it since the problems started, losses will keep piling up.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:42 PM
  #4
sjshark91
Registered User
 
sjshark91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 23,596
vCash: 2810
1st get healthy.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:43 PM
  #5
Nighthock
**** the Kings...
 
Nighthock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 15,780
vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
Getting rid of Colin White.
priority numero uno

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:44 PM
  #6
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,273
vCash: 500
No big trades. The deadline big trades generally don't put teams over the top. It is generally the secondary moves.

I don't want Nash and would bet that it would diminish the slim chance the Sharks already have for the cup. IMO, the Sharks hopes are in the hands of the health Gods and coaching and players. A lot of enlightenment would go a long way.

Best coaching moves would be White out of the lineup to get time for the guys who would actually be workable for the playoffs. A reworking of the PK to a more aggressive style. A permanent demotion of Handzus to the 4th line. Put up with line shuffling while the coaching puts it on the lesser players to put up performance or sit in the PB. Possible decrement to JT's minutes (or any other top guy's minutes (Boyle, Pavs, Clowe)) if they don't take care of the puck.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:45 PM
  #7
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn
 
USF Shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DC Area
Country: United States
Posts: 20,523
vCash: 500
Confidence.


__________________
"I hate books; they only teach us to talk about things we know nothing about."
-Jean Jacques Rousseau
USF Shark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:47 PM
  #8
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,609
vCash: 1965
Our biggest need right now is patience.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:53 PM
  #9
sjsharklover
Registered User
 
sjsharklover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: san jose
Country: United States
Posts: 595
vCash: 500
Beating Minnesota

sjsharklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:54 PM
  #10
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 31,553
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
No big trades. The deadline big trades generally don't put teams over the top. It is generally the secondary moves.

I don't want Nash and would bet that it would diminish the slim chance the Sharks already have for the cup. IMO, the Sharks hopes are in the hands of the health Gods and coaching and players. A lot of enlightenment would go a long way.

Best coaching moves would be White out of the lineup to get time for the guys who would actually be workable for the playoffs. A reworking of the PK to a more aggressive style. A permanent demotion of Handzus to the 4th line. Put up with line shuffling while the coaching puts it on the lesser players to put up performance or sit in the PB. Possible decrement to JT's minutes (or any other top guy's minutes (Boyle, Pavs, Clowe)) if they don't take care of the puck.
I actually disagree with the more aggressive PK. The cross-box passes are happening because they're over-aggressive positionally to the guy in the slot AND playing the point guy closest to the puck-carrier to tight. Once that pass gets through, they enter scramble mode and fail miserably. If they had the speed throughout their lineup to be aggressive on the puck carrier and still get back in position, I'd be fine with it. However, they just don't have the personnel for it. They're too slow to play aggressive.

As for demotions and cutting ice time, I agree with White out of the lineup and cutting ice time to Thornton and Boyle especially. Taking them off the PK would be a good start. Handzus to the 4th line would be great if they had someone to play the third line center spot with Moore out of the lineup. They don't. If you move Handzus down, you either break up Rifleman-Desi, move Wingels or Mitchell into the center spot, or break up the top line.

The first thing I would do in terms of an acquisition is find a depth defenseman or another depth forward. If you get the forward, you can move Vandermeer back to D where he should be the first guy in after someone gets hurt rather than White. I'd rather they call up Taylor Doherty at this point than continue to play Colin White. It's that bad.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:55 PM
  #11
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 12,873
vCash: 500
Winning games.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:59 PM
  #12
SoupyFIN
Moderator
Lu ♥
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 19,783
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
Getting rid of..


"He who shall not be named"

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:00 PM
  #13
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton
 
StreetSharks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Frisco
Posts: 5,473
vCash: 327
Resigning Wallin and trading for Huskins

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:02 PM
  #14
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I actually disagree with the more aggressive PK. The cross-box passes are happening because they're over-aggressive positionally to the guy in the slot AND playing the point guy closest to the puck-carrier to tight. Once that pass gets through, they enter scramble mode and fail miserably. If they had the speed throughout their lineup to be aggressive on the puck carrier and still get back in position, I'd be fine with it. However, they just don't have the personnel for it. They're too slow to play aggressive.

As for demotions and cutting ice time, I agree with White out of the lineup and cutting ice time to Thornton and Boyle especially. Taking them off the PK would be a good start. Handzus to the 4th line would be great if they had someone to play the third line center spot with Moore out of the lineup. They don't. If you move Handzus down, you either break up Rifleman-Desi, move Wingels or Mitchell into the center spot, or break up the top line.

The first thing I would do in terms of an acquisition is find a depth defenseman or another depth forward. If you get the forward, you can move Vandermeer back to D where he should be the first guy in after someone gets hurt rather than White. I'd rather they call up Taylor Doherty at this point than continue to play Colin White. It's that bad.
They are playing the weakside forward passive on all but the Marleau/Pavs pairing. Very close to 1-1-2. IMO, it would be better to stop or deflect the pass from the dman that sets up the cross ice than to worry about what happens should it get through. They will give up some cross ice but I think on balance that they will come out ahead.

I did mean to say on the lineup moves that it would depend on health. I really prefer Desi on third even with Moore out.

I think they would have a hard time acquiring a depth dman as that type of transaction is usually pick for player and the Sharks don't have an open contract slot.

I would go Irwin over Doherty as Irwin is a lefty and Doherty a righty. Don't want them swapping on their first callup to play.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:09 PM
  #15
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 31,553
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
They are playing the weakside forward passive on all but the Marleau/Pavs pairing. Very close to 1-1-2. IMO, it would be better to stop or deflect the pass from the dman that sets up the cross ice than to worry about what happens should it get through. They will give up some cross ice but I think on balance that they will come out ahead.

I did mean to say on the lineup moves that it would depend on health. I really prefer Desi on third even with Moore out.

I think they would have a hard time acquiring a depth dman as that type of transaction is usually pick for player and the Sharks don't have an open contract slot.

I would go Irwin over Doherty as Irwin is a lefty and Doherty a righty. Don't want them swapping on their first callup to play.
The problem though with giving up the cross box passes is that their recovery is awful. They have frequent issues when the pass goes from the forward to the weak side d-man who then slides towards the middle. Couture and Desi got confused on who was supposed to challenge the shot and it got through. That's not the first time that's happened with the group as a whole.

The first thing they should be focusing on as a collective on the PK is preventing cross-box passes. Yes, they will go across along the perimeter and that's fine but getting it through the box causes the forwards to get turned around and that is what creates the confusion that inevitably leads to a goal. The simpler they make it, especially for guys like Desjardins and Thornton, who are not sound positionally, the better they'll be.

I would not be opposed to Irwin but the point of saying Doherty is to show how bad I believe it has gotten with White. I think Doherty switching for his first NHL game would have a better chance at success at this point.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:16 PM
  #16
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,730
vCash: 500
Get colin white out of the lineup. Get murray back. Stay healthy. Continue to develop chemistry. Get Niemi out of his slump.


or

Acquire Nabby

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:20 PM
  #17
Iron Chef
Registered User
 
Iron Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,917
vCash: 500
1) Bench Colin White
2) Our talent, playing to their talents, especially D and goaltending
3) Getting healthy

We have the team on paper that can win a cup. Instead of seeking for help through a trade, we can do this by just having our existing team elevate their game and work as a team. I saw too many guys last night trying to do it all on their own.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:22 PM
  #18
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The problem though with giving up the cross box passes is that their recovery is awful. They have frequent issues when the pass goes from the forward to the weak side d-man who then slides towards the middle. Couture and Desi got confused on who was supposed to challenge the shot and it got through. That's not the first time that's happened with the group as a whole.

The first thing they should be focusing on as a collective on the PK is preventing cross-box passes. Yes, they will go across along the perimeter and that's fine but getting it through the box causes the forwards to get turned around and that is what creates the confusion that inevitably leads to a goal. The simpler they make it, especially for guys like Desjardins and Thornton, who are not sound positionally, the better they'll be.

I would not be opposed to Irwin but the point of saying Doherty is to show how bad I believe it has gotten with White. I think Doherty switching for his first NHL game would have a better chance at success at this point.
That confusion is what happens when the weakside forward is playing low middle.

BTW, I think they have demoted JT yet again on PK from #5/6 to #6/7.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:23 PM
  #19
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow
 
JayP812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 5,807
vCash: 449
Defense, no question about it. There is no timetable for Murray, White is horse crap, and Niemi is left out to dry every game. All this Nash talk is useless if we don't improve our horrible D.

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:24 PM
  #20
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
Confidence.

Lol that is awesome now if we could only find a pic of a guppy looking in the mirror and seeing a shark...

I agree with Jeasy. Although Wilson would be taking a big risk sitting on his hands. Pray for health...

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:25 PM
  #21
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!
 
VP and GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: at home
Country: United States
Posts: 5,345
vCash: 500
We need to get healthy - Murray on D is missed for sure. Havlat, etc are all needed on the ice not the training room.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:26 PM
  #22
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The problem though with giving up the cross box passes is that their recovery is awful. They have frequent issues when the pass goes from the forward to the weak side d-man who then slides towards the middle. Couture and Desi got confused on who was supposed to challenge the shot and it got through. That's not the first time that's happened with the group as a whole.

The first thing they should be focusing on as a collective on the PK is preventing cross-box passes. Yes, they will go across along the perimeter and that's fine but getting it through the box causes the forwards to get turned around and that is what creates the confusion that inevitably leads to a goal. The simpler they make it, especially for guys like Desjardins and Thornton, who are not sound positionally, the better they'll be.

I would not be opposed to Irwin but the point of saying Doherty is to show how bad I believe it has gotten with White. I think Doherty switching for his first NHL game would have a better chance at success at this point.
Or they could just play Vandy as a defenseman.,..

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:49 PM
  #23
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!
 
HOOCH2173's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Anacrime
Country: United States
Posts: 4,351
vCash: 516
Weber

HOOCH2173 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:53 PM
  #24
sjshrky27
Registered User
 
sjshrky27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,638
vCash: 500
Niko Dimitrakos!

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:59 PM
  #25
Hold the Pickles
Registered User
 
Hold the Pickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: 03-K64
Country: United States
Posts: 2,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
Niko Dimitrakos!
yeah screw taco torrey, we need the original.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.