HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Purpose Trade Rumors and Speculation Thread Part 5

Old
02-24-2012, 01:36 PM
sr228

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
He's not 100% reliable like Bob, but he must have some kind of sources to beat the whole TSN crew at TDL.

When it's quiet, they make stuff up to get hits on their respective sites.
I agree, Kypreos is pretty reliable...I've sort of tuned out Dreger lately as he's moved from being like McKenzie (very reliable info) to being a bit like Spector (more rumors than anything concrete).

The comment Wilson made about making a decision on how to move forward based on injuries...this is one of the times I believe him. If Murray (or Havlat) aren't going to be playing anytime soon he'll have to decide if the 7 healthy D he does have are good enough.

sr228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Umberger is a very reasonable possibility. Keep in mind that if the Sharks got Umberger he would most likely replace Clowe eventually... I don't know where you are getting the slow part. He is a pretty good skater and would be an upgrade to Clowe. Now he isn't fantastic in the D zone, but I think would be an upgrade to Clowe. All in all he fits the orgainzations desired vision better then Clowe does
That is exactly my view on Umberger. Clowe will probably want Umberger money or more in his next deal so RJ provides a tad more certainty long term. He gives top 6 fwd depth now and long term hedge.

Gilligans Island is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:56 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
This might sound ridiculous but I really think Richards just wasn't cut out for the Western Conference. IMO there's a big difference between being matched up against the best forwards in the East and the best forwards in the West. A lot of the top guys in the East like Kovalchuk, Kessel, Gaborik, Stamkos, Ovechkin, Spezza (at least prior to this year...looks like that leopard may have changed his spots), etc. are in reality not that difficult to play against. They can create tons of scoring opportunities, sure, but they give up just as many at the other end of the ice and Richards was able to take advantage of that. Playing against complete players like Datsyuk, Kesler, Toews, Backes, M. Koivu, Thornton, Hanzal, Stastny and the like is a much different challenge and it's obvious based on Richards' numbers this year he wasn't at all cut out for it. His underlyings are grotesque and he's slowly been moved away from the top matchups, a process that even started when Murray was still head coach.

That's why I think his two-way game was always a bit overrated and it looks like Lavi agreed, at least last year, when he gave Carter tougher matchups (although some of that was Richards playing with crap for much of the season). He's a solid player I think and he might rebound eventually when he learns how to modify his game to play in the West (although it's been a while already) but I would definitely take Pavelski over him and would for the past 3-4 years, even without taking contracts into consideration.
Pretty much my thoughts. Glad to see you agree.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:57 PM

If Steve Ott ends up on VANC, that would really put icing on the hatred cake...

209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209 View Post
Ott and Burrows trolling on a tree ...

02-24-2012, 02:03 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
If only they kept Torres.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Admiral*

R.J. Umberger is not better than Clowe. The sudden hate for Clowe on this board is hilarious. "He may not resign here after NEXT year, lets trade him now!" Jesus. Unless one of you guys is related to Nostradamus, you have no idea what Clowe is going to do in basically 2 years. And there is NOBODY in the NHL that can replace Clowe's skillset except for Lucic. You don't trade something as rare as Clowe in this league.

Admiral* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:05 PM

So let me be the one... as I have no clue through 5000+ posts if its been discussed...

What would it take to bring the menace, the pest, the button pusher Steve Ott to the Sharks. Could he even coexist on a team that has players who dont like him very much on the ice (JT, Clowe) but is rather highly respected by his teammates (or so they say...)???

Demers/Braun and a pick? DEF, G and a pick?? I can already hear the naysayers...

Old
02-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
So let me be the one... as I have no clue through 5000+ posts if its been discussed...

What would it take to bring the menace, the pest, the button pusher Steve Ott to the Sharks. Could he even coexist on a team that has players who dont like him very much on the ice (JT, Clowe) but is rather highly respected by his teammates (or so they say...)???

Demers/Braun and a pick? DEF, G and a pick?? I can already hear the naysayers...
Agree we can use a pest but eww on Ott and no way Demers or Braun.

Rather go for Derek MacKenzie. He's a fireball 4th liner and probably can be had for cheaper.

Winchester - Desjardins - MacKenzie would cause a lot of trouble and bring energy.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4U2NV View Post
R.J. Umberger is not better than Clowe. The sudden hate for Clowe on this board is hilarious. "He may not resign here after NEXT year, lets trade him now!" Jesus. Unless one of you guys is related to Nostradamus, you have no idea what Clowe is going to do in basically 2 years. And there is NOBODY in the NHL that can replace Clowe's skillset except for Lucic. You don't trade something as rare as Clowe in this league.
There's no hate on Clowe. It's just fans recognizing the Sharks need to bolster the top 6 and we don't have many tradeable assets.

If you have some other ideas, toss them out...

Old
02-24-2012, 02:11 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:

Sure he could co-exist. I don't think Dallas would be willing to make trades within the division however. Although offering Demers or Braun plus a pick would be such an outrageous overpayment Dallas probably would pull the trigger on that.

From most teams Dallas would probably be glad to get a second out of ott

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Admiral*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
There's no hate on Clowe. It's just fans recognizing the Sharks need to bolster the top 6 and we don't have many tradeable assets.

If you have some other ideas, toss them out...
How about not messing with the top 6 and acquring a tweener, since, you know, that's what the Sharks actually need? The Sharks don't need to become more of a top heavy team by acquiring Nash.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:13 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Better is a relevant term. I think RJ would be a better fit and may have a career year on a line with Havlat.

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Admiral*

Quote:
Better is a relevant term. I think RJ would be a better fit and may have a career year on a line with Havlat.
Well that's fantastic, but that's pure speculation. Take Clowe off the team and you basically give the team a vasectomy.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
How about not messing with the top 6 and acquring a tweener, since, you know, that's what the Sharks actually need? The Sharks don't need to become more of a top heavy team by acquiring Nash.
Yeah, I'm not opposed to that route either. It's all about value.

A tweener like Stempniak might be decent. He's injured now with a high ankle sprain so tough to say if he'll recover in time.

Bailey if cheap would be solid but not for Demers. Purcell would be good but doubt the Bolts trade him since they dealt Downie and Moore.

So what's your list of tweeners and what would you give?

Old
02-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Franchise13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Yeah, I'm not opposed to that route either. It's all about value.

A tweener like Stempniak might be decent. He's injured now with a high ankle sprain so tough to say if he'll recover in time.

Bailey if cheap would be solid but not for Demers. Purcell would be good but doubt the Bolts trade him since they dealt Downie and Moore.

So what's your list of tweeners and what would you give?
Pretty much why Nash is popular, Other than being a big name, he's really the only difference maker available atm.

Franchise13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Sure he could co-exist. I don't think Dallas would be willing to make trades within the division however. Although offering Demers or Braun plus a pick would be such an outrageous overpayment Dallas probably would pull the trigger on that.

From most teams Dallas would probably be glad to get a second out of ott
Then they can have a bag of pucks and Mitchell

Old
02-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Admiral*

Well, Downie was at the top of my list but he's off the market now. If Washington decides to be sellers I would definitely try to get Troy Brouwer. Ryan Jones from EDM is intruiging. Clutterbuck would be on my list, but highly doubt he's available. If Dallas decides to get rid of Morrow, he would be ideal. No idea what any of these guys would cost or if any of them are even available, but they're the ones I want the most.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Well, Downie was at the top of my list but he's off the market now. If Washington decides to be sellers I would definitely try to get Troy Brouwer. Ryan Jones from EDM is intruiging. Clutterbuck would be on my list, but highly doubt he's available. If Dallas decides to get rid of Morrow, he would be ideal. No idea what any of these guys would cost or if any of them are even available, but they're the ones I want the most.
Yeah, I like your list - same as my tweener list. :-) though I don't have Morrow down as a tweener and he'd be expensive.

I'd probably give a 1st for Brouwer.

The cheaper and more prudent route would be to get one of those guys and put him on the line with Jumbo and Pavs - that fast F1 forward who can retrieve pucks for Jumbo but also with some scoring so teams don't clamp down on Pavs. Then roll Clowe-Couture-Marleau and have McGinn-Moore-Havlat as our 3rd. I'd be fine with that going into the playoffs.

I still wouldn't mind a feisty pest on the 4th line to go with Winchester and Desjardins. Someone who can spell Wingels if Wingels gets overwhelmed in the playoffs.

Ferriero and Mitchell can make sure the pizza stays warm.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:50 PM
hockeyball

Clutterbuck is the 'best' tweener I think is even remotely possible. McGinn - Moore - Clutterbuck would be an absolutely brutal 3rd line heh, other teams would hate us.

Ott would be good too, not a fan of Avery though.

It sounds to me though like DW's plan was to get a bottom 6 depth guy (Moore) and a top-6 guy (Nash) so unless he 'settles' and goes with a tweener I expect he's still shopping for a true top-6 player (to replace Seto).

We have no one that can fill in the top-6. Most teams have prospects that they can call up and do so, we do not.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:13 PM
do0glas

I thought wingels has done really well, as had desjardins. unfortunately they were producing point wise as much as i expected, but not often do you lose two top 6 guys.

since clowe has been back ive felt wingels has done what is required from depth, unfortunately he is acting as a long term replacement for havlat atm and its making him seem less useful. if havlat was out for five games wingels would look like he could do the job.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:15 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
I thought wingels has done really well, as had desjardins. unfortunately they were producing point wise as much as i expected, but not often do you lose two top 6 guys.

since clowe has been back ive felt wingels has done what is required from depth, unfortunately he is acting as a long term replacement for havlat atm and its making him seem less useful. if havlat was out for five games wingels would look like he could do the job.
Wingels is fine, but he's not a top-6 player, not even close. He needs 3rd line time for a few seasons (like McGinn). He's a great bottom-6 fill in, terrible top-6 fill in.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:16 PM
ramstoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Clutterbuck is the 'best' tweener I think is even remotely possible. McGinn - Moore - Clutterbuck would be an absolutely brutal 3rd line heh, other teams would hate us.
I wish we could get Clutterbuck somehow, but it doesn't seem likely. The only place I've seen his name thrown around is on this forum. I haven't seen a single source say anything about him being on the block. I'd love to be corrected on that though.

ramstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:19 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Wingels is fine, but he's not a top-6 player, not even close. He needs 3rd line time for a few seasons (like McGinn). He's a great bottom-6 fill in, terrible top-6 fill in.
im curious as to why you think he is terrible in the top six.

sinces hes been in the top 6...i think since the tampa game for the most part.

hes 3 pts in 5 with an even +/- rating.

ive seen him lose a mark once in recollection (on the nash goal). and i havent seen him lose the puck easily.

what are you expecting from top 6 depth?

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:24 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

colby armstrong out of toronto for a 2013 3rd? mcginn-moore-armstrong

and hell to the ya on ott if the price is fair. we need to get nastier

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote