HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hemsky close to re-signing for $5M/year

Old
02-24-2012, 01:47 AM
HellsBells

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemmer_forever View Post
Oilers fans know the value of hemsky to the Oilers and it's good to see most of them sticking up for him. This would be a great deal if it were 2 years at 10 mill and if you cannot see that than I don't know what to say. I can't believe how the other fan bases see him as garbage that's not worth a 1st or even mill plus, it's absurd. CAN'T WAIT until he makes you all eat crow.
FYI: Just because you are not worth $5M, it does not mean you are garbage.

We will see whos eating crow when he plays 90 games over the next two seasons combined.

HellsBells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:47 AM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
I really hope they do sign him to that, it'll shut the people up who defend tanking 5-6 years in a row to get high draft picks and then say thats smart management for a rebuild. Good luck signing the rest of your core (Hall, Eberle, MPS, Hopkins) and then adding a half decent supporting cast along with them. The Edmonton Oilers are a terribly run franchise from top to bottom.
No one defends "tanking". It will prove that the Oilers arent "tanking". Why would it be so hard to resign those 4 players? Using Tavares' new contract as the benchmark shouldnt be an issue. Hall and RNH have a 3.9m cap hit now so adding 1.6 each isnt a big issue. Eberle is due for the biggest raise from 900k to that 5+mark. Gagner and Paajarvi will be a blessing if they are due big raises like that.

Do you even have a clue what the Oilers cap situation is in the next two years? I didnt think so

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:48 AM
SephF
[b][/b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
They NEED to trade him while hes playing half decent. Its hilarious they are going to pay a 2nd liner 5 mil.
He might play second line on the Oilers but Hemsky is a first line RW on a lot of teams and his production throughout his entire career has proven that.

One thing people aren't taking into account is the duration of the contract...

If he signs a two year deal he's doing the Oilers a big favour, he comes off the cap when RNH needs to be re-signed and probably just as the Oilers become a playoff threat and the kids can handle hard ice time.

You need to pay him more money to have him sign a SHORT TERM contract, he would not take 4 million dollars on a two year contract... A 5 or 6 year contract? Probably but since the Oilers are trying to play it safe with two years he of course wants a little more money.

He could get injured again during the duration of the two year contract and knock another 1-2 million dollars off his value on the open market, that's a lot of risk for Hemsky to take on so they oilers HAVE to pay him extra.

5 million dollars isn't alot

Ryan Smyth makes 6.25 million this season and needs to be re-signed. Most Oilers fans think it will be around 3 million cap hit so they're saving 3.25 million dollars there alone, Hemsky already makes 4.1 million so he's getting a 900k dollar raise and they're saving 2.35 million on their cap in comparison to the year before.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:49 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Fox View Post
Complain when they lose due to lack of quality players, label them as tankers. Complain when they attempt to keep quality players. #HFBoards
Did you miss the part where I said Oilers have a good young group of forwards? Oh silly me, of course you did.

Hemsky doesn't help them win now (not that they need to) or in the future. Not to mention, he's played a whopping 115 over the past 3 seasons and struggling to put up points this season. Oilers are good offensively anyways, with or without him.

What's the point of keeping him? Just trade him and get some assets.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:50 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
I really hope they do sign him to that, it'll shut the people up who defend tanking 5-6 years in a row to get high draft picks and then say thats smart management for a rebuild. Good luck signing the rest of your core (Hall, Eberle, MPS, Hopkins) and then adding a half decent supporting cast along with them. The Edmonton Oilers are a terribly run franchise from top to bottom.
How are the Leafs doing with there near completed rebuild how is 9th feeling talk about a horrible run organization

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:50 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
It's fine if it's only 2-3 years. The Oilers won't have any problems fitting under the cap at all if that's the case.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:52 AM
SephF
[b][/b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Did you miss the part where I said Oilers have a good young group of forwards? Oh silly me, of course you did.

Hemsky doesn't help them win now (not that they need to) or in the future. Not to mention, he's played a whopping 115 over the past 3 seasons and struggling to put up points this season. Oilers are good offensively anyways, with or without him.

How doesn't he help them win? Do you have any idea what you're talking about? he's proven time and time again to be an impact player and he's getting thrown to the wolves so the kids can get easy minutes and rack up points. Is there something difficult to understand about that?

They need veteran support, you need more forwards then just Eberle Hall RNH and Gagner, a two year deal would leave flexibility and he could be moved (might even be worth more if he performs better next year).

He has 9 points in his last 12 games, good numbers for a second liner playing tough minutes, he had a bad stretch at the start of the season that doesn't determine the value and skill of a player as a whole when the rest of his career has been impressive. Give him some credit.

Old
02-24-2012, 01:55 AM
HuMz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post

Maybe read SephF's last couple posts, it really isn't hard to understand why signing Hemsky for 2 years is very valuable as long as he can stay fairly healthy.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:55 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Since the lockout, excluding this season, Hemsky has 331 points in 359 games (.92ppg). This has been a bad year for him, though he appears to be coming around.

His injury history is a concern but hopefully he's passed the worst of it and can stay in the lineup. That's a risk the Oilers or any team who decides to trade or sign for him has to take. Outside of this season there isn't any doubt that when he plays he's productive. A guy with his talent doesn't just lose it all of a sudden.

By all accounts Hemsky wants to be here and is well-liked by his teammates. $10M over two years doesn't hurt the Oilers and I hope it gets done.

What happens if the Oilers trade Hemsky for prospects/draft picks and the team struggles next season with secondary scoring? Are the same people laughing now going to turn around and accuse the Oilers of tanking for dumping off one of their better veterans for assets that won't replace Hemsky's usual production right away? Because that's what it sounds like you want them to do.

Quote:
I really hope they do sign him to that, it'll shut the people up who defend tanking 5-6 years in a row to get high draft picks and then say thats smart management for a rebuild. Good luck signing the rest of your core (Hall, Eberle, MPS, Hopkins) and then adding a half decent supporting cast along with them.
Thanks for showing you know nothing about the Oilers.

Quote:
The Edmonton Oilers are a terribly run franchise from top to bottom.
Yeah, as shown by their farm team being first in the AHL right now.

Couldn't 'terrible' be defined as not putting a winner together in the last 45 years?

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:57 AM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
He might play second line on the Oilers but Hemsky is a first line RW on a lot of teams and his production throughout his entire career has proven that.

One thing people aren't taking into account is the duration of the contract...

If he signs a two year deal he's doing the Oilers a big favour, he comes off the cap when RNH needs to be re-signed and probably just as the Oilers become a playoff threat and the kids can handle hard ice time.

You need to pay him more money to have him sign a SHORT TERM contract, he would not take 4 million dollars on a two year contract... A 5 or 6 year contract? Probably but since the Oilers are trying to play it safe with two years he of course wants a little more money.

He could get injured again during the duration of the two year contract and knock another 1-2 million dollars off his value on the open market, that's a lot of risk for Hemsky to take on so they oilers HAVE to pay him extra.

5 million dollars isn't alot

Ryan Smyth makes 6.25 million this season and needs to be re-signed. Most Oilers fans think it will be around 3 million cap hit so they're saving 3.25 million dollars there alone, Hemsky already makes 4.1 million so he's getting a 900k dollar raise and they're saving 2.35 million on our cap in comparison to the year before.
I'm sorry but there's so much wrong here as a result of your poor perspective I don't even know where to start.

Smyth is not a good comparison. He doesn't deserve 6.25. Just cause Hemsky is already making 4.1 million doesn't mean he deserves that or .9 million more.

If Hemsky gets paid 5 million he'll be paid .3 million less than Bobby Ryan.

Hemsky has 5 goals on the season. Bobby has 22. The value isn't close and Hemsky is being overpaid as it is.

And on what teams is Hemsky a number one right winger? He's not even a number one right winger on the second worst team in the league. What a terrible claim and I've seen some crazy **** around here lately. what exactly has his career proven? That for the last 3 years he hasn't played one season where he hasn't missed at least 20 games due to injury.

5 mill is not worth it and I'd be furious if I was an Oilers fan and he got that contract.

Good luck giving new deals to Hall, RNH, Eberle, Grigorenko, MPS, and Klefbom with that disgusting contract. And then good luck trading him when he's overvalued like that. A deal like this is what guarantees more delay to success.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:59 AM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
If the valued return for him is to low then re-signing him would be excellent. He's under-rated. Hemsky was a legit top3 forward for at least 4 years leading up to 08/09 and his shoulder injuries. Many players with that injury have been able to play a long time. I'm good with him either way, and if he gain regain his form from a few years ago we'll have a good top6 in no time.

Patch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Megan Fox
ლ(◉◞౪◟◉ )ლ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmageddon View Post
How are the Leafs doing with there near completed rebuild how is 9th feeling talk about a horrible run organization
Home of 13 Stanley's.

Megan Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

Please, go ahead and pay him 5m a year. Less space for Hall, RNH, Eberle, this year's first/second pick, etc.

Dellstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:00 AM
HuMz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
How doesn't he help them win? Do you have any idea what you're talking about? he's proven time and time again to be an impact player and he's getting thrown to the wolves so the kids can get easy minutes and rack up points. Is there something difficult to understand about that?

They need veteran support, you need more forwards then just Eberle Hall RNH and Gagner, a two year deal would leave flexibility and he could be moved (might even be worth more if he performs better next year).

He has 9 points in his last 12 games, good numbers for a second liner playing tough minutes, he had a bad stretch at the start of the season that doesn't determine the value and skill of a player as a whole when the rest of his career has been impressive. Give him some credit.

I really wish all of your posts were somehow stickied at the start of this thread so people wouldn't look like idiots trying to act like this is the end of the world.

A healthy Hemsky is a top line RW on alot of teams in this league....end of story. Therefore the only risk is money, and as long as the deal is only 2 years that completely eliminates all risk.

So how is this "possible" signing a huge failure, as many are suggesting?

Old
02-24-2012, 02:02 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Home of 13 Stanley's.
All when 6 teams played whoope home of 5 stanelys 7 finals since joining in the same amount of time since 1979 leafs 0 cups 0 finals yeah I wonder which organization has been worse, and btw no team has as many cups or finals since Oilers entered so any way you look at it we are the most winning franchise in the Nhl since 1979-80

Old
02-24-2012, 02:03 AM
HuMz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucic View Post
Please, go ahead and pay him 5m a year. Less space for Hall, RNH, Eberle, this year's first/second pick, etc.
So on a 2 year contract, how does this play a factor at all with the players you listed?

Old
02-24-2012, 02:04 AM
The K Man

Quote:
Doing pretty solid. One of the youngest teams in the league while battling for a playoff spot and lots of young talent coming up through the minors. Oh, and we have defense.

Feel like that's better than bottom 2 in the league 3 years running.

The K Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:05 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The K Man View Post
Doing pretty solid. One of the youngest teams in the league while battling for a playoff spot and lots of young talent coming up through the minors. Oh, and we have defense.Feel like that's better than bottom 2 in the league 3 years running.
Lol 27 in the league one of the worst given up more goals than the Oilers but hey we know how leafs pimp crap as gold

Old
02-24-2012, 02:06 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I'm sorry but there's so much wrong here as a result of your poor perspective I don't even know where to start.

Smyth is not a good comparison. He doesn't deserve 6.25. Just cause Hemsky is already making 4.1 million doesn't mean he deserves that or .9 million more.

Hemsky has 5 goals on the season. Bobby has 22. The value isn't close and Hemsky is being overpaid as it is.

And on what teams is Hemsky a number one right winger? He's not even a number one right winger on the second worst team in the league. What a terrible claim and I've seen some crazy **** around here lately. what exactly has his career proven? That for the last 3 years he hasn't played one season where he hasn't missed at least 20 games due to injury.

5 mill is not worth it and I'd be furious if I was an Oilers fan and he got that contract.

Good luck giving new deals to Hall, RNH, Eberle, Grigorenko, MPS, and Klefbom with that disgusting contract. And then good luck trading him when he's overvalued like that. A deal like this is what guarantees more delay to success.
Oilers fans aren't stupid, so I doubt you could ever be one. So what if the Oilers are the 2nd worst team in the league. A lot of teams would kill to have a top 6 like ours. Oh, and I didn't know you could see the future. Please tell us which team is going to win the Stanley Cup 2 years from now.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:08 AM
The K Man

Quote:
Lol 27 in the league one of the worst given up more goals than the Oilers but hey we know how leafs pimp crap as gold
Worst PK and terrible goaltending will do that to you.

Anyways, regarding Hemsky, if there is really nobody willing to trade any meaningful assets for him might as well resign him I guess, not for this contract though.

The K Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:08 AM
Oilking83

Quote:
Home of 13 Stanley's.
And the last one was before the moon landing.

2 years is pretty good for the Oil BTW

Oilking83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:09 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Simon Gagne from this point on out. He is about to be paid Bergeorn/Krejci money (using Bruins examples as I compare him to what the Bruins have on the roster for the same amount of money).

Most teams are going to look at what they have on their roster for that amount and scoff at the Oilers.

Truth is, if they are happy to have him around for that kind of money then I guess they see something a lot of us don't.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:09 AM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

I'd bash this but given what Ruutu got - I guess?

cbjerrisgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:10 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucic View Post
Two more guys that haven't glanced at the Oilers cap situation.

Are all of you people making these asinine posts aware that this won't be a 5 or 6 year contract? It'll have no bearing on what Hall, Eberle, RNH, etc. get.

And DuckJet, really? Trading a guy that has produced at the NHL level for prospects or draft picks is going to delay success?

Last edited by Vomiting Kermit*: 02-24-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:11 AM
SephF
[b][/b]

Quote:

I know Smyth isn't worth 6.25 million, the Oilers didn't sign him to that contract he is massively over paid. All I'm saying is there are no cap issues because from that one player alone the Oilers will already save more then enough to give Hemsky a 900k raise.

Quote:

Here's the part where your perspective is poor first of all Bobby Ryan is on a LONG TERM CONTRACT, players take LESS MONEY to have MORE SECURITY. The proposed Hemsky contract is a TWO YEAR DEAL where Hemsky takes all the risk and could end up getting hurt again and really ruining his value. Thats why you have to pay him a little more money, understand?

Another thing Bobby Ryan is a goal scorer and Ales Hemsky is a play maker. I can play this game too

Bobby Ryan has 16 assists and Hemsky has 21 in less games after a major surgery. Hemsky is worth more then Ryan!

See how dumb that is?

Quote:
And on what teams is Hemsky a number one right winger? He's not even a number one right winger on the second worst team in the league.
We might be the second worst team in the league in the standings but our #1 RW is Jordan Eberle. If you haven't noticed he has 60 points (more then anyone on the Ducks) he's top 10 in scoring. Thats why he's a second line RW. You also need to understand match ups

He would be a first line RW on:

Nashville, Columbus, Phoenix, Carolina, Minnesota, Montreal

A case could be made for him playing infront of Horton in Boston and Oshie in St.Louis.

Versteeg, Wheeler and PA Parenteau are first line RW's for their respective teams but are having very impressive years but an argument could be made that Hemsky would play infront of them. The point is he could help almost every team in the NHL.

Quote:
What a terrible claim and I've seen some crazy **** around here lately. what exactly has his career proven? That for the last 3 years he hasn't played one season where he hasn't missed at least 20 games due to injury.
He's proven that he can produce at a first line rate over the entire course of his career and has preformed well in the playoffs. Injuries is the only thing that people can hold against Hemsky and they need to realize that two year deal all the risk lays on Ales.

Quote:
You'd be mad I'd say 85% of Oilers fans will be estatic that we get to keep our star RW and don't have to take draft picks and a prospect.

Quote:
It's a two year deal man, get that through your head. His contract will be up before we need to worry about resigning these guys.