HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can We Trade Gionta? or Are we afraid to change core?

Old
02-25-2012, 09:00 AM
Habs4ever

vCash: 500
Can We Trade Gionta? or Are we afraid to change core?

I know I will get lot of heat for this but this team has to change otherwise we'll continue to suck next year and this change has to start from the top, and I see Gionta value to be very good at trade deadline, so why not take advantage and get something to build for next year.

We can not bring same team next year and expect better result, so what I'd like to see is change from the top as thats the top minute guys.

Why do we consistently hung on to guys until they are untradeable; why can't we be more aggresive rather then waiting until either the player retire; goes off to free agency or simply leaves no value to be traded.

Habs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:02 AM
SnapVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever View Post
and I see Gionta value to be very good at trade deadline, so why not take advantage and get something to build for next year.
Gionta is out for the season, how can he has good value at 'trade deadline'?

SnapVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Coldplay
Courage

**** that.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:03 AM
HabsSlappy

Quote:
I know I will get lot of heat for this but this team has to change otherwise we'll continue to suck next year and this change has to start from the top, and I see Gionta value to be very good at trade deadline, so why not take advantage and get something to build for next year.

We can not bring same team next year and expect better result, so what I'd like to see is change from the top as thats the top minute guys.

Why do we consistently hung on to guys until they are untradeable; why can't we be more aggresive rather then waiting until either the player retire; goes off to free agency or simply leaves no value to be traded.
Gionta is out for the season, so his trade value is zero at the deadline. Maybe next seasons deadline.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:04 AM
hockeyfan2k11

I still don't quite understand why people want to trade Gio.

He leaves it all on the ice every frigging game
He's a playoff performer
He's led this team in scoring the last 2 seasons
He actually shoots the puck
He's our captain

Unless there's a deal that absolutely blows you away, he should be retained.

Cole, Pacioretty, Gio are the only guys on this team who shoot and hit the net with consistency...and you want to get rid of one of these guys?

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Gionta is out for the season, how can he has good value at 'trade deadline'?
Trade him at the draft. I wouldn't wait till half way through the season hoping to showcase him. I think this season is a sign of what to expect from Gionta for the rest of his career.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mytor4*

Quote:

If we can get something reasonable for Gionta than i say go for it.Gorges will replace him as our next C. A good young prospect with both size and ability would be a great addition for Gionta.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:05 AM
couris

yes get rid of him during the summer. clean the house.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:07 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Nah, he'll stay.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:08 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I still don't quite understand why people want to trade Gio.

He leaves it all on the ice every frigging game No he doesn't but when he does it's not enough and he won't be doing it for very much longer
He's a playoff performer I would change "is" to "was"
He's led this team in scoring the last 2 seasonsWhich is really a reflection on how bad we've been offensively
He actually shoots the puck And actually misses the net 95% of thetimes
He's our captainIn Montreal better captains have been traded

Unless there's a deal that absolutely blows you away, he should be retained.
I was never really sold on him and with DD on the team and gallagher knocking on the door, i don't want to go through another smurf cycle.

Old
02-25-2012, 09:27 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post

I was never really sold on him and with DD on the team and gallagher knocking on the door, i don't want to go through another smurf cycle.
Gionta leaves it all on the ice. Your hatred is blinding you.

He IS a playoff performer, period.

So 29 and 27 goals is bad in the NHL in a defensive minded system? Go try to find a 29-27 goal scorer on the open market and see how much it costs you.

Yea, he misses, but he SHOOTS THE FRIGGING PUCK...instead of dangling and losing it like every other Hab does besides Cole, Patches

Could care less if better captains have been traded.

DD is a centerman and is useless as a winger. He's one-dimensional and highly overrated. Gio has more value IMO. The longer DD stays centering our 1st line, the more it will set this team back.

Gallagher is still a year or two away....yes he played well in the preseason by why rush him up?

Old
02-25-2012, 09:38 AM
HabsSlappy

The Smurf that has to go is either Plekanec or Desharnais. Gionta can still contribute and you need leadership while rebuilding.

We should only have two small players. Gionta and DD or Plekanec. I prefer to trade Plekanec since he would get us a decent return.
Trade Gionta when he is UFA and Gallagher is ready to take his spot.

Last edited by HabsSlappy: 02-25-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old
02-25-2012, 09:45 AM
couris

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
The Smurf that has to go is either Plekanec or Desharnais. Gionta can still contribute and you need leadership while rebuilding.

We should only have two small players. Gionta and DD or Plekanec. I prefer to trade Plekanec since he would get us a decent return.

Trade Gionta when he is UFA and Gallagher is feast to take his spot.
gionta with plekanec was a terrible duo when they played together. gionta looked like a 4th line player.

Old
02-25-2012, 09:48 AM
SeriousHabs

Gionta will assist the 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 tank modes. 2014-2015 is the earliest that the Habs can compete.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:54 AM
HabsSlappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
gionta with plekanec was a terrible duo when they played together. gionta looked like a 4th line player.
Where did I say they should play together?

Old
02-25-2012, 09:57 AM
couris

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
Where did I say they should play together?
they are terrible whether they play together or not.

Old
02-25-2012, 09:58 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Gionta leaves it all on the ice. Your hatred is blinding you.

He IS a playoff performer, period.

So 29 and 27 goals is bad in the NHL in a defensive minded system? Go try to find a 29-27 goal scorer on the open market and see how much it costs you.

Yea, he misses, but he SHOOTS THE FRIGGING PUCK...instead of dangling and losing it like every other Hab does besides Cole, Patches

Could care less if better captains have been traded.

DD is a centerman and is useless as a winger. He's one-dimensional and highly overrated. Gio has more value IMO. The longer DD stays centering our 1st line, the more it will set this team back.

Gallagher is still a year or two away....yes he played well in the preseason by why rush him up?
Lmao DD is overrated and one-dimentional but you're pimpin' Gallagher who hasn't even set foot in the NHL... good one

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:00 AM
habfaninvictoria

Gionta is not the problem. I'll happily have him on my team next year.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:02 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Lmao DD is overrated and one-dimentional but you're pimpin' Gallagher who hasn't even set foot in the NHL... good one
pimping? I said Gallagher was 1-2 years away. He also has a different skillset than DD. I also didn't say DD was overrated. Learn how to read.

DD is a CENTERMAN...Gallagher is a WINGER who can SCORE. They are completely different players. DD IS one dimensional. Deal with it.

Old
02-25-2012, 10:02 AM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
I failed to see where he was pimping Gallagher there. He said he wasn't ready yet.....

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:05 AM
couris

DD is unidimensional...he is only good in the offensive zone...we have many players like him in this team....

Old
02-25-2012, 10:07 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post

Lol you dismiss Gionta's accomplishments in this league and then pimp Gallagher that hasn't even scored in preseason

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:19 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Lol you dismiss Gionta's accomplishments in this league and then pimp Gallagher that hasn't even scored in preseason
I'm not pimping Gallagher. i said he's knocking on the door.

Also, I like Gionta but on the Bruins team or the Flyers or the Sharks but not on the Habs. We can't fully utilize a player like Gionta without a complete make over of the team and when the make over is complete, he'll be ready to retire.

And another thing. I'll keep repeating it: this year is a sign of things to come. Gionta is 33 and all the past years of being a small man playing big in a big man's game is catching up to him. The games he played with Habs:

31 maybe he'll hit 40 this year.

I would trade him while his stock is high - this thread proves many people still think he's a good hockey player. With the Habs - a soft, marshmallowy team - he'll quickly break down. think of it on most nights Gionta usually plays the hardest on the team. You can't ask a player of his physique to do that. On a strong team like Boston, they would ask him to go to the dirty areas butthey wouldn't ask him to provide the sole grit. On the Habs they do.

Old
02-25-2012, 11:26 AM
llamateizer

this is atrocious

trade Gionta, Cole
and why not PAcioretty, Price and Eller

lets get 12 AK instead
Talented players invisible on ice 80% of the time

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:26 AM
andy28

No one would want Gionta now. If you wanna move him, you would have to do it in the offseason, maybe before the draft.

I like Gio, but I would consider moving him. Not saying I would move him. But he is getting older, and if the return was right, why not?

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote