HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lowercases Vs The Rene Dorks - Verizon - 2-24-12 - 7pm

Old
02-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
Yeah Tyutin is quite good but that's a bit much.

In a market where Zidlicky got what he got no way in hell should we even contemplate buying a defenseman.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 04:45 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
And I'd even do a trade like you mentioned if the futures aren't sent on until draft day.

Even if 19 comes back, I don't have much confidence in this team's ability to make a run. Look toward next season.
I guess I just feel that a few wins can help a team get on a roll.....then who knows what happens. Im not counting on it but im not ignoring the chance of it either

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 04:57 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
I guess I just feel that a few wins can help a team get on a roll.....then who knows what happens. Im not counting on it but im not ignoring the chance of it either
Makes sense. Just a difference in our levels of optimism, I suppose.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Makes sense. Just a difference in our levels of optimism, I suppose.
I guess im more optimistic that it could happen than I am that whatever came back in a trade would be a skilled piece to the puzzle ready to help in the next year...or even two

I'll use Alzner as an example....IMO he didnt become a player until mid point of last season....4 years after being a very high draft pick. Thats not to say he stunk before or wasnt a very good prospect.....but good prospects arent the missing piece teams looking to play late into the spring need

The team already has two first rounders and a decent group of young players.....adding to that list doesnt seem like the direction I would take right now.....the status of 19, again, is the big variable there though

Old
02-25-2012, 05:20 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Well, my goal in acquiring any futures would be consolidating all but the very best of those into better assets.

Make a Brouwer-type deal or two, trade for the rights to pending UFAs, and/or move up in the draft for an elite prospect.

I think that strategy makes the Capitals on opening night of the 2012-13 season much better than they are now.

For example, let's say you want to target Tyutin. The Jackets aren't going to give him up for Wideman, Hamrlik, Knuble, etc. But They might sell him for the futures you get from contenders for those pieces.

Old
02-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Well, my goal in acquiring any futures would be consolidating all but the very best of those into better assets.

Make a Brouwer-type deal or two, trade for the rights to pending UFAs, and/or move up in the draft for an elite prospect.

I think that strategy makes the Capitals on opening night of the 2012-13 season much better than they are now.
maybe so.....but without knowing what these deals are its too cloudy.

Ive never been a big fan of trading for negotiation rights...I guess it works sometimes. Who is to say of course that if the player was willing to sign with you he wouldnt have signed a few weeks later anyway

trading multiple assests (none of which are likley elite) for an elite prospect (or very high pick) seems like a quantity for quaulity move.....and that doesnt happen a lot. I dont follow draft classes as closely as many do but if the top of the draft is as talented as some people here say....why would a team picking that high move out of those spots for quantity? Saying they could do that and finding a team willing to do that are different things

Old
02-25-2012, 05:56 PM
txpd

not a big fan of trading for rights either. bryzgalov and hamhuis are reasons why.

i am not sure what collecting secondary prospects and non sure hit draft picks does for the caps what their own group of prospects, draft picks and soon to be cleared cap space doesnt allow for them already.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:00 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
not a big fan of trading for rights either. bryzgalov and hamhuis are reasons why.

i am not sure what collecting secondary prospects and non sure hit draft picks does for the caps what their own group of prospects, draft picks and soon to be cleared cap space doesnt allow for them already.
Sigh. As I've said multiple times in this thread, and increased glut of prospects and picks allows you to trade prospects and picks for NHLers without as much risk.

Or we could just stand pat, and see the team fade into mediocrity.

Old
02-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Roughing

Quote:
George?

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:05 PM
txpd

Quote:
Sigh. As I've said multiple times in this thread, and increased glut of prospects and picks allows you to trade prospects and picks for NHLers without as much risk.

who's saying anything about standing pat. i just disagree with your point of view. i think you are creating a potential mess by selling and giving up on the playoffs.

i think you overvalue the picks and prospects. its maybe just my POV and maybe just the skill of mcphee in this area, but to date not a single caps traded prospect has become an nhl player to my knowledge.

btw...the glut of that stuff can also work against you.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:20 PM
Mothra

Quote:

the way you say that makes it sound like they either make these kind of trades...or fade into mediocrity....and thats the only two options/outcomes

I dont agree....and again, you also still have to find a team(s) willing to take non-bluechip assets for ready to go NHL players (that fit a need)

Not saying those trades cant be done.....but you really do make it sound like you just make the decsion to do it then just "do it".

If you were a team in the same situation as the Caps....who on the Caps would you trade for to help you right away (meaning next season). Now.....would you take picks/prospects for those players if you were the Caps?

Picks and prospects have value....High picks and blue chip's doubly so. That said....they still dont hold near the value many people on HF think they do. Not everyone is willing to trade a good NHL player for a good NHL prospect...actually I would guess most wouldnt.

Old
02-25-2012, 07:54 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
who's saying anything about standing pat. i just disagree with your point of view. i think you are creating a potential mess by selling and giving up on the playoffs.

i think you overvalue the picks and prospects. its maybe just my POV and maybe just the skill of mcphee in this area, but to date not a single caps traded prospect has become an nhl player to my knowledge.

btw...the glut of that stuff can also work against you.
I think the greater mess is created by keeping the majority of the current team and giving up futures for rentals.

Who cares what's happened to traded picks and prospects? That's completely irrelevant. The fact is, picks and prospects still have trade value league-wide.

And no, a glut of picks and prospects never works against you.

Old
02-25-2012, 07:56 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
the way you say that makes it sound like they either make these kind of trades...or fade into mediocrity....and thats the only two options/outcomes

I dont agree....and again, you also still have to find a team(s) willing to take non-bluechip assets for ready to go NHL players (that fit a need)

Not saying those trades cant be done.....but you really do make it sound like you just make the decsion to do it then just "do it".

If you were a team in the same situation as the Caps....who on the Caps would you trade for to help you right away (meaning next season). Now.....would you take picks/prospects for those players if you were the Caps?

Picks and prospects have value....High picks and blue chip's doubly so. That said....they still dont hold near the value many people on HF think they do. Not everyone is willing to trade a good NHL player for a good NHL prospect...actually I would guess most wouldnt.
See, I think you can make the decision to make those sort of trades and then just do it. There are always quality NHLers for sale for futures. Every summer and every deadline. There are deals to be had if you're willing to pay the price. It's about damn time that Caps management be bold with their asset management. They've been incredibly conservative in that area since the lockout.

Old
02-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Mothra

Quote:
See, I think you can make the decision to make those sort of trades and then just do it. There are always quality NHLers for sale for futures. Every summer and every deadline. There are deals to be had if you're willing to pay the price. It's about damn time that Caps management be bold with their asset management. They've been incredibly conservative in that area since the lockout.
I agree with the bold section......the rest, not really.

I dont think you just say "im making trades" as much as you target certain guys and try to get them