HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

New ISS Top 10 Rankings

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-03-2004, 02:14 PM
  #26
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 19,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Thompson
This year isn't as strong as 2003 - I would say it's not too far off, but not too close to it either.

Depth-wise, this draft I don't believe is much different than any others. However, the top 10 in this draft is going to be pretty darn good, even aside from Crosby & Brule.

I'd like to take issue with someone who said the WHL is having a bad year - are you nuts? This is a pretty solid year for the WHL. A huge prospect in Brule headlines an already strong group. You've got 3 other potential top 10 picks in Durand, Price, and Setoguchi, not to mention a ton of other prospects that will be taken likely within the top 2 rounds (Mikkelson, Macais, Wabbit, Gauthier, etc..)

No, no top defenseman, but Brule trumps that anyways. This will be a strong year for the WHL. As strong as 2004? My guess is yes.

No top defensemen in general, or just from the WHL? I don't think Johnson can be considered anything but a top defensive prospect. He's probably the next Brian Leetch (who hits!).

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
11-03-2004, 02:27 PM
  #27
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
No top defensemen in general, or just from the WHL? I don't think Johnson can be considered anything but a top defensive prospect. He's probably the next Brian Leetch (who hits!).
True. I dont think it is that bad.

Jack Johnson
Teemu Laakso
Marc Staal
Patrick McNeill
Mike Gauthier
Risto Korhonen
Jakub Vojta
Slava Buravchikov
Vitaly Anikeenko
Luc Bourdon
JP Paquet
Brendan Mikkelson
MA Gragnani
Dustin Kohn
Matt Lashoff
Dev Hesmatpour
Jakub Kindl
Andrew Andricopolous

Some other players should come out of the wood work and join Johnson, Staal, and Laakso as the top defensive plays. Maybe Lashoff can get back on track as a top 15 pick and Kindl can turn it on?

Anthony Mauro is offline  
Old
11-03-2004, 02:43 PM
  #28
Hab Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 163
vCash: 500
The REAL top 3 will be Crosby, Brule and Johnson. By the way, Johnson knocked Brule out in the 17's last years tourney. No disrespect to Brule, he's great! Question really is what a team needs at each draft position. Don't be suprised if Johnson goees 2! I am coming from a needs basis. I hope it's Montreal, but no way. They won't pick that high.

Hab Fan is offline  
Old
11-03-2004, 02:56 PM
  #29
X-SHARKIE
Registered User
 
X-SHARKIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Janesville Wisconsin
Posts: 9,362
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
True. I dont think it is that bad.

Jack Johnson
Teemu Laakso
Marc Staal
Patrick McNeill
Mike Gauthier
Risto Korhonen
Jakub Vojta
Slava Buravchikov
Vitaly Anikeenko
Luc Bourdon
JP Paquet
Brendan Mikkelson
MA Gragnani
Dustin Kohn
Matt Lashoff
Dev Hesmatpour
Jakub Kindl
Andrew Andricopolous

Some other players should come out of the wood work and join Johnson, Staal, and Laakso as the top defensive plays. Maybe Lashoff can get back on track as a top 15 pick and Kindl can turn it on?
JP Paquet is a great one who is very underated, I also really really like Marc Staal. Matt Lashoff is very good, Kindl and Johnson are both OOOZIng...but Johnson is the 3rd best player in the draft IMO. Teemu Laakso sounds like my kind of a player as well.

X-SHARKIE is offline  
Old
11-03-2004, 03:33 PM
  #30
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
JP Paquet is a great one who is very underated, I also really really like Marc Staal. Matt Lashoff is very good, Kindl and Johnson are both OOOZIng...but Johnson is the 3rd best player in the draft IMO. Teemu Laakso sounds like my kind of a player as well.
I heard, lol, more like saw in a picture...that Paquet is a big guy, both height and weight, and has good balance. Solid skater and someone who likes to mix it up. This from boxscores. Lol, it really does suck being in a place in the US that hardly knows NHL hockey, let alone juniors and the likes.

I think the defenseman in this draft get a bad rap because the guys that were highly touted have floundered and not played(in Lashoff's case) or not played well. Kindl, Anikeenko and Vojta were 3 of the top Euro defensemen and they have dropped significantly.

Guys like Paquet and Bourdon seem like they can turn out to be better than Andy Rogers/Mark Fistric, both of whom went in the first round.

Oh and whats the difference between Bradford and Cogliano. Bradford's been listed at 5'10'' 160-170 and Cogliano has been between 5'9'' and 5'10" at 180. But Cogliano has been rated higher on basically every list. People always knock Bradford for his size, but Cogliano is only 10-20 pounds heavier and possibly shorter by an inch, depending on who is right. Is weight that much of a big deal? Just curious.

Anthony Mauro is offline  
Old
11-03-2004, 06:14 PM
  #31
Boomhower
Registered User
 
Boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
Jack Johnson
Teemu Laakso
Marc Staal
Patrick McNeill
Mike Gauthier
Risto Korhonen
Jakub Vojta
Slava Buravchikov
Vitaly Anikeenko
Luc Bourdon
JP Paquet
Brendan Mikkelson
MA Gragnani
Dustin Kohn
Matt Lashoff
Dev Hesmatpour
Jakub Kindl
Andrew Andricopolous
You left out several notable OHL defenceman.
Ryan Wilson (Toronto)
Ryan Parent (Guelph)
Phil Oreskovic (Brampton)
Matt Pelech (Sarnia)
Adam Abraham (Missisauga)

Boomhower is offline  
Old
11-03-2004, 06:22 PM
  #32
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower
You left out several notable OHL defenceman.
Ryan Wilson (Toronto)
Ryan Parent (Guelph)
Phil Oreskovic (Brampton)
Matt Pelech (Sarnia)
Adam Abraham (Missisauga)
Thanks for catching that. Wilson and Parent definately have been on the radar...I'm not up to snuff with the other three.

Leaving them out, I must've been so flustered with the lack of respect for 2005 d-men, lol.

Anthony Mauro is offline  
Old
11-03-2004, 06:42 PM
  #33
Belarus Rocket
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,587
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
Where do you project Kostytsin brother to be picked,2 round, 3 round???.And anyone having Info on him would be appreciated.

Belarus Rocket is offline  
Old
11-03-2004, 06:52 PM
  #34
X-SHARKIE
Registered User
 
X-SHARKIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Janesville Wisconsin
Posts: 9,362
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future=Hossa
Where do you project Kostytsin brother to be picked,2 round, 3 round???.And anyone having Info on him would be appreciated.
Going by ear I put him at 57 on my list.

X-SHARKIE is offline  
Old
11-03-2004, 09:11 PM
  #35
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
I think Ryan Wilson may surprise some people. From what I've read and seen (limited), he can really throw his weight around and is having a decent season statistically.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
11-04-2004, 03:01 AM
  #36
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 12,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Thompson
This year isn't as strong as 2003 - I would say it's not too far off, but not too close to it either.

Depth-wise, this draft I don't believe is much different than any others. However, the top 10 in this draft is going to be pretty darn good, even aside from Crosby & Brule.

I'd like to take issue with someone who said the WHL is having a bad year - are you nuts? This is a pretty solid year for the WHL. A huge prospect in Brule headlines an already strong group. You've got 3 other potential top 10 picks in Durand, Price, and Setoguchi, not to mention a ton of other prospects that will be taken likely within the top 2 rounds (Mikkelson, Macais, Wabbit, Gauthier, etc..)

No, no top defenseman, but Brule trumps that anyways. This will be a strong year for the WHL. As strong as 2004? My guess is yes.
8 #1 picks last year from the WHL (and 14 in the first 2 rounds). I highly doubt there will be that many this year.

Brule makes it an OK year. Outside of him the forwards are average, and it's one of the worst defensive groups ever. When was the last time no WHL defenders were taken in the first round? Mikkelson might sneak in, but I don't see many other hopes.

Guys like Macias and Wabbit look like mid-rounders to me. There are guys like this every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sens(e)
Really MS? You're not high on Setoguchi, Durand and Price?
Sure they're good players. But Setoguchi and Durand are no better than Ladd and Chipchura last year, or Getzlaf and Fehr the year before, or Lupul and Upshall the year before that. The difference is that in those years there were loads of quality defenders to go along with a couple quality forwards. This year the defensive group stinks ... hence my comment that (outside of Brule) it's one of the worst WHL groups in recent memory.


Last edited by MS: 11-04-2004 at 03:05 AM.
MS is offline  
Old
11-04-2004, 03:14 AM
  #37
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 12,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
This draft is a crap shoot like 2004? WHOAAA..

Imo this is one of the better drafts in quite some time, the North AMerican class is just as good if not better then the one that 2003 had and that's saying somthing!
And the European class easily looks to be the worst in close to a decade.

And sorry, but it's not as good as 2003. The US has nowhere near the talent that was available that year because of the double class due to the removal of opt-in restrictions. The WHL is nowhere near their terrific 2003 class. The OHL seems to have a good group, but to compare it to the 2003 group is ridiculous. The only league that's doing better than 2003 is the Q.

MS is offline  
Old
11-04-2004, 08:29 AM
  #38
X-SHARKIE
Registered User
 
X-SHARKIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Janesville Wisconsin
Posts: 9,362
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS
And the European class easily looks to be the worst in close to a decade.

And sorry, but it's not as good as 2003. The US has nowhere near the talent that was available that year because of the double class due to the removal of opt-in restrictions. The WHL is nowhere near their terrific 2003 class. The OHL seems to have a good group, but to compare it to the 2003 group is ridiculous. The only league that's doing better than 2003 is the Q.
I guess I would agree that it isnít the 2003 draft, but I think itís a damn good one like 2001 was.

X-SHARKIE is offline  
Old
11-05-2004, 10:26 AM
  #39
markov`
Registered User
 
markov`'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Top 2 in the world
Posts: 3,647
vCash: 500
Zagrapan at 4 doesn't surprise me. He's putting up some real good stats this year, if he continues like that he could definitely be picked in the top 5.

markov` is offline  
Old
11-05-2004, 11:56 AM
  #40
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markov`
Zagrapan at 4 doesn't surprise me. He's putting up some real good stats this year, if he continues like that he could definitely be picked in the top 5.
All I hear about Zagrapan is that he's super talented, but that give him a few more months and teams will have the book on him. Questions about his hockey sense & the regular high-scoring QMJHL question mark stuff.

Mizral is offline  
Old
11-05-2004, 11:59 AM
  #41
markov`
Registered User
 
markov`'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Top 2 in the world
Posts: 3,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Thompson
All I hear about Zagrapan is that he's super talented, but that give him a few more months and teams will have the book on him. Questions about his hockey sense & the regular high-scoring QMJHL question mark stuff.
That won't happen, Jay. If teams start to book only him, they will get destroy by the Sags. Currently, Desharnais, Lascek and Boisclair are better offensive weapons than Zagrapan, but they're all older.

markov` is offline  
Old
11-06-2004, 01:31 PM
  #42
boby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
Alex Bourret in october was 24 th rank for ISS,now for november list he is 11 th,and if he keep a same beat, he will take a few more spot.

boby is offline  
Old
11-06-2004, 05:04 PM
  #43
Daniel_Tkaczuk
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Downtown Halifax
Posts: 421
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Daniel_Tkaczuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterovic
Zagrapan as number four - WOW!!
what a joke. there i said it.

Daniel_Tkaczuk is offline  
Old
11-06-2004, 06:01 PM
  #44
X-SHARKIE
Registered User
 
X-SHARKIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Janesville Wisconsin
Posts: 9,362
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
I have Zagrapan at 11th and Bourret at 10th because IMO Alex brings more to the table...I love his grit.

X-SHARKIE is offline  
Old
11-07-2004, 12:58 AM
  #45
borro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
JP Paquet is a great one who is very underated, I also really really like Marc Staal. Matt Lashoff is very good, Kindl and Johnson are both OOOZIng...but Johnson is the 3rd best player in the draft IMO. Teemu Laakso sounds like my kind of a player as well.
Everyone mentions Anikienko and nobody mentions Anton Belov. He is listed at 6'3 190 (an inch smaller than Vitaly) and is rated #3 Russian prospect vs #6. Any ideas why?

borro is offline  
Old
11-07-2004, 08:52 AM
  #46
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by borro
Everyone mentions Anikienko and nobody mentions Anton Belov. He is listed at 6'3 190 (an inch smaller than Vitaly) and is rated #3 Russian prospect vs #6. Any ideas why?
I think it is because he did not enter last years draft and is a year older, in terms of draft age.

Anthony Mauro is offline  
Old
11-07-2004, 09:42 AM
  #47
Hiishawk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Out there somewhere
Posts: 1,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
I think it is because he did not enter last years draft and is a year older, in terms of draft age.
And that's looking like a good move as he's playing like world-beater so far this season. Watch him closely at the WJCs.

Hiishawk is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.