HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs to show considerable interest in Dustin Brown and Steve Ott.

Old
02-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
I wouldn't move Schenn but I would easily do Franson + Frattin and even throw in a pick.

Schenn is not being moved unless we are getting a center back.
Agreed, if we are getting first line center, then schenn goes, if not, he stays.

02-24-2012, 11:36 AM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Agreed, if we are getting first line center, then schenn goes, if not, he stays.
How long are you willing to wait for someone to cough up a #1C for Schenn as a centrepiece?

I take the Schenn + Frattin for Brown deal. Brown is a signficant upgrade over anything that Frattin would do right now, and Schenn compensates the Kings for that forward downgrade. Then we can try and package MacArthur for help elsewhere. The net worth of this exchange allows Burke to add some serious skill and grit to our top 6.

Darryl Sutter on Dustin Brown:
Quote:
He's a straight-line, up-and-down, go-to-the-net, shoot-the-puck, run-over-people player.
Do you think that Burke would like that?

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:38 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Schenn for Brown would be terrible asset management. Brown has what, 2 years left on his deal? Then he goes unrestricted.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:39 AM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Should just be a stickied thread called "LEAFS INTERESTED IN EVERY PLAYER as per Dreger,Lebrun and any Toronto reporter looking for hits"
Normally I'd agree with you, but given our current situation I think Burke will absolutely be looking at both.

Aulie + Frattin for Ott + 2nd?

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:42 AM
JackJ

Not that I put too much stock in Dregers rumours but a young defenceman probably means a prospect. Holzer/Blacker/Aulie?

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:42 AM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpallday View Post
Brown brings leadership qualities apart from his offensive production and physicality.
No, he really doesn't, which is why he's on the trading block.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:44 AM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

Holzer + Frattin + 1st?

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopT View Post
And I am saying it today

not even close
LOL. Look at you trying to act like you've got inside knowledge.

Stop act like you know what's going on between the GM's. Until you can prove that you have some inside knowledge, other people's opinion are just as valid as yours.

Quote:
When did I say that? Dustin Brown was in some pretty good company with the numbers that he put up. He's a lot better than MacArthur, and Schenn would have be going back for a deal to work. Frattin might become something, but Leaf fans are overrating our own players as usual.

Burke is going to have to give to get if he wants to add some forwards with skill and physicality to the Leafs top 6.
You're using the two statistics, pts and hits to show how good of a player Brown is. On that list, Ruutu has better stats.

If you're using statistics to prove his worth, a guy with better stats has to be worth more.

I'm not saying that's what you said, but that's what I took from the post as well. Just throwing out stats and saying this is why X is worth more without any other explanation suggests that.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
No, he really doesn't, which is why he's on the trading block.
I wonder why he was made captain in the first place.

Old
JackJ

Aulie + MacArthur + Kulemin for Brown + <Salary Dump>

Old
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Aulie + MacArthur + Kulemin for Brown + <Salary Dump>

no way leafs do this

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:47 AM
MattVenca

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Schenn for Brown would be terrible asset management. Brown has what, 2 years left on his deal? Then he goes unrestricted.
Disagree. Schenn has 4 years left at $3.6, Brown has 2 years left at $3.175.

The Brown contract would actually expire at the same time as:

Phil Kessel, Dion Phaneuf, Jake Gardiner, James Reimer, Mike Komisarek, Mike Brown.

This positions the Leafs very well to re-align their roster, freeing up $23.2M cap space. And they get Dustin Brown in the prime years of his career just as they are starting to become a playoff team.

MattVenca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:47 AM
JackJ

Quote:
How long are you willing to wait for someone to cough up a #1C for Schenn as a centrepiece?

I take the Schenn + Frattin for Brown deal. Brown is a signficant upgrade over anything that Frattin would do right now, and Schenn compensates the Kings for that forward downgrade. Then we can try and package MacArthur for help elsewhere. The net worth of this exchange allows Burke to add some serious skill and grit to our top 6.

People are blinded by the fact that we need a centerman and seem to forget we have many other holes to fill. A power forward type being one of them.

Old
02-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:

Well then if no one is going to cough a first line center, then just wait and find the right offer. Yes we are need for a powerforward, but not at the price of an arm and a leg.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:50 AM
FlameChampion

Why are the kings even trying to get rid of Brown in the first place? I cant say I really understand. Are they that unhappy with him? I'm just confused.

FlameChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameChampion View Post
Why are the kings even trying to get rid of Brown in the first place? I cant say I really understand. Are they that unhappy with him? I'm just confused.
They're just looking to change things up, they think they can replace his scoring ability with whoever they get back in the trade. They want to mix up the chemistry, they're stale right now.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:54 AM
JackJ

Quote:
Well then if no one is going to cough a first line center, then just wait and find the right offer. Yes we are need for a powerforward, but not at the price of an arm and a leg.
Given our overall lack of toughness within the top six, it's equally as important.

Old
02-24-2012, 11:55 AM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
The answer is wait and find the right offer? We have won 1 of our last 8 games and have almost zero physicality in our top 6. We don't have any semblance of a cycle game, which is why we get hemmed in our own zone for long periods of time.

No one is looking to cough up a decent #1C for Luke Schenn right now. Losing Schenn and Frattin is not costing an arm and a leg unless both realize their potential, which wouldn't be in the present. The Leafs need to make the playoffs and if you have a chance to get a size/skill combo forward like Brown, you pull the trigger.

Old
02-24-2012, 11:56 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
People are blinded by the fact that we need a centerman and seem to forget we have many other holes to fill. A power forward type being one of them.
I get what you're saying.... But, if you're on a budget and don't have a home or a car... Do you spend all your money on the car you want? Or look for discounts until you save enough to buy a house; the most important need?

I'm torn on the issue... I'd love to see an upgrade like Brown, but it's hard to let young guys with upside go for another 2nd liner. (not a knock on Brown, but he isn't an elite talent)

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:57 AM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameChampion View Post
Apparantly him and Richards are fighting for dominance in the lockeroom. Leadership scuffle. Much like Richards was with Pronger. The bringing in of Carter basically solidifies the fact that LA wants to move forward with the Richards/Carter combo in the future giving way to Richards to take over captaincy. Bobby Mac thinks LA is going for an entire culture change.

Makes sense to me.

No one ask me for link - too lazy to find it, might be the top story on twitter or a Hockeybuzz article.

SarcazemKadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:57 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
I wonder why he was made captain in the first place.
I think his abilities were misread. Brown is a good player to have if he is second fiddle or third fiddle. He isn't a leader and a star player on the team, so its time to ship him out. He was responsible for getting this team back on track after Murray was canned, and he failed to rally the troops.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:58 AM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
I get what you're saying.... But, if you're on a budget and don't have a home or a car... Do you spend all your money on the car you want? Or look for discounts until you save enough to buy a house; the most important need?

I'm torn on the issue... I'd love to see an upgrade like Brown, but it's hard to let young guys with upside go for another 2nd liner. (not a knock on Brown, but he isn't an elite talent)
Brown fits the budget, cap wise.

SarcazemKadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
The answer is wait and find the right offer? We have won 1 of our last 8 games and have almost zero physicality in our top 6. We don't have any semblance of a cycle game, which is why we get hemmed in our own zone for long periods of time.

No one is looking to cough up a decent #1C for Luke Schenn right now. Losing Schenn and Frattin is not costing an arm and a leg unless both realize their potential, which wouldn't be in the present. The Leafs need to make the playoffs and if you have a chance to get a size/skill combo forward like Brown, you pull the trigger.
Majority of them has been losses by 1 goal, just one.

I agree with you fully that we lack a cycle game and the board works but I dont want to make a move for the sake of a move to make the playoffs. I dont want the price to be that premium, if brown is unavailable, we go for a younger player who has the potential to do the same, say carter ashton??

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:02 PM
93gilmour93

Just watched hockey central and kypreos said the leafs are in for sure on steve ott. Maclean said it's between the leafs and the Canucks.

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:02 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post

no way leafs do this
Nope, way to much going to LA.

Macarthur + Franson would be good.

They downgrade on Brown with Macarthur, but get Franson to make up for it, who can provide some offense for their backend.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote