HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs will keep tabs on Nabokov situation in NY.

Old
02-24-2012, 01:31 PM
BlueBaron

vCash: 500
Komi and a 3rd is win win.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:33 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMind View Post
I don't see how Nabokov gets you Aulie.... Are we really ready to give up a big young defensemen for a rental 38 year old Goalie.... Lets be real it'll take a 2nd and a prospect at most.
He's 36, and still has a couple good years left in him. You can tell from the way he plays, he just isn't getting tired. He seems like he can start every game for the rest of the season and not be tired.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
It's nice to see such enthusiasm from Islander fans and I know Leaf bashing is all the rage but don't sit here and tell us how much more attractive your team is to an impending FA. Yeah you have a lot centers but the leafs have many things going for them as well.

If you consider the many other circumstances there is the possibility Toronto might hold more appeal to Nabakov.

1. Toronto is a bit closer to being a playoff regular.

2. The Isles have a bit of instability with a colourful owner who has stated he is open to moving the Team.

3. The Depietro situation could see Nabakov forced to a backseat.

4. This year the Isles will for sure not make the playoffs, Toronto might and with Nabakov their chances improve even more.

5. The Islanders have greater difficulty attracting free agents and thus may improve more slowly through dependance on mainly internal developement.

6. Nabakov and Wilson's mutual respect.

The big negative is our Media vs the low profile the Islanders have which could well scare him off.
Leaf fan here

1. The Isles have more potential in their forwards, its their D that is much worse.

2. He wants to move to Queens, which is equivalent to moving down the street

3. if Nabby is re-signed DiPietro could bought out for a cap hit of 1.5M

4. NYI is 7 points behind Toronto with a game in hand, they aren't totally out

5. They don't really need free agents just a #2 D-man which they could get in Dumba

6. Neat.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:34 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
In what world? Komisarek sucks.

Old
02-24-2012, 01:38 PM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
In what world? Komisarek sucks.
He's played pretty well this year.

His cap hit means nothing to the Isles.

He is from the area and would be good PR.

He would give you a vetran presence in the dressing room.

Not bad for a guy you got on waivers and for the Leafs a guy who is blocking younger d-men.

He might even play better with less spot light and media pressure.

Old
02-24-2012, 01:50 PM
LeftCoast

vCash: 50
It's funny that the Isles and Leafs, two of the teams with the most messed up goalie situations (apologies to Philadelphia) may be the solution to each others problems.

With DiPietro a fixture on their salary cap for the next decade and an internal salary cap at least until Charles Wang can get the team new digs, the Isles can't really afford to pay Nabokov market value. Nabokov is easily worth Khabibulin type money. They also don't want to dump Montoya or Poulin as they can't have any confidence that DiPietro is still the future of the position in Long Island. They simply can't have $10M+ invested in goalies.

I'm just not really sure what the Isles need coming back to make this work. They are loaded with young talent at almost every position, but many of their young stars have suffered from a lack of veteran leadership and mentoring. Everyone criticizes their defense, but they are middle of the pack in goals against and shots against. Yet with all of the talent they have up front, they are still 28th in the league in goals per game.

Would something around Tim Connolly help the Isles?

I can't see the Isles wanting any of the Leafs goalies in return. They would have to waive gustavsson.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:55 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
He's played pretty well this year.

His cap hit means nothing to the Isles.

He is from the area and would be good PR.

He would give you a vetran presence in the dressing room.

Not bad for a guy you got on waivers and for the Leafs a guy who is blocking younger d-men.

He might even play better with less spot light and media pressure.
From what I heard he sucked.

Cap hit means plenty, because the NYI aren't going to pay him to suck.

PR what? That he sucks?

Veteran presence doesn't count when you suck, see Rolston.

I'd rather get Aulie than Komisarek if we're trading with the Leafs.

He played well in Montreal, where the media is swarming just as much as Toronto.

Last edited by SLAPSHOT723: 02-24-2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: forgot to answer last question
Old
02-24-2012, 01:59 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
It's funny that the Isles and Leafs, two of the teams with the most messed up goalie situations (apologies to Philadelphia) may be the solution to each others problems.

With DiPietro a fixture on their salary cap for the next decade and an internal salary cap at least until Charles Wang can get the team new digs, the Isles can't really afford to pay Nabokov market value. Nabokov is easily worth Khabibulin type money. They also don't want to dump Montoya or Poulin as they can't have any confidence that DiPietro is still the future of the position in Long Island. They simply can't have $10M+ invested in goalies.

I'm just not really sure what the Isles need coming back to make this work. They are loaded with young talent at almost every position, but many of their young stars have suffered from a lack of veteran leadership and mentoring. Everyone criticizes their defense, but they are middle of the pack in goals against and shots against. Yet with all of the talent they have up front, they are still 28th in the league in goals per game.

I can't see the Isles wanting any of the Leafs goalies in return. They would have to waive gustavsson.
isles need defense. Cody Franson, Carl Gunnarsson, Luke Schenn would be a must-have in a deal for Nabokov.

I don't think the Leafs would deal Gunnar or Schenn for Nabby and I'm not sure Franson gets it done.

If I'm Snow, I offer to take Armstrong's salary back, Gunnar and Frattin for Nabokov, Eaton and Parenteau.
Connolly makes sense too, since he'd be a good #2 C at $4MM salary ($4.7MM on the cap) next year. Isles will need to get to the cap floor.

Burke could use the extra cap space to add another key player.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:00 PM
BlueBaron

Whatever man, he must suck if you say so.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:01 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Yes, the Leafs get Nabokov and get rid of Komi. Win win for the Leafs.

The Isles didn't want to pay what the Leafs were offering for Komi three years ago. Why would they want to pay it now when his play has declined?

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:04 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
isles need defense. Cody Franson, Carl Gunnarsson, Luke Schenn would be a must-have in a deal for Nabokov.

I don't think the Leafs would deal Gunnar or Schenn for Nabby and I'm not sure Franson gets it done.

If I'm Snow, I offer to take Armstrong's salary back, Gunnar and Frattin for Nabokov, Eaton and Parenteau.
Connolly makes sense too, since he'd be a good #2 C at $4MM salary ($4.7MM on the cap) next year. Isles will need to get to the cap floor.

I would gladly take Armstrong in a deal, and Nino can have a 2nd line role next year.

Moulson-Tavares-Okposo
Grabner-Nielsen-Niederreiter
Martin-Bailey-Armstrong

Solid top-9, though I want a new 2nd line center.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:05 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Whatever man, he must suck if you say so.
Leafs fans have been trying to dump Komisarek on the Islanders for two and a half years now. If he's playing well just keep him, we don't want him.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:06 PM
sparxx87

Quote:

No.

Aulie, maybe... Franson, no.

Aulie and a 3rd is my proposal. You're not getting a young top 4 d man for a UFA goalie who likely won't resign.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:06 PM
kasper11

Quote:

You have to ignore DP. It is dead money, no different from a buyout cap hit. The Isles do not have any money invested in goaltending for next year. They have a liability in DP. Montoya is a UFA. Poulin is not ready.

And they can afford to give Nabokov pretty much anything. They are well under the cap floor with most of their key players locked up.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Boomhower

I don't understand why the leafs would be targeting a goaltender that will be 37 next year. Unless they can get him for a reasonable rental price for this years playoff push.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Johnny Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr016 View Post
Nabakov and Bailey for Schenn
No way Champ.

The ONLY way that Schenn is moved is for the Leafs' goalie for the future, not a 36 year old rental.

Johnny Bang Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:34 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:

An argument could be made for almost any position, but the Isles are 14th in shots against per game and 28th in goals for.

Connolly or Armstrong as others have mentioned would provide some veteran leadership that seems to be missing up front.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Noreaster96

Quote:
An argument could be made for almost any position, but the Isles are 14th in shots against per game and 28th in goals for.

Connolly or Armstrong as others have mentioned would provide some veteran leadership that seems to be missing up front.
The Isles are a young team up front, but they have a ton of potential firepower... the defense, on the other hand, is as potent as a wet noodle... Im more than sure the Isles would be looking for young Defensemen rather than forwards

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Jester9881

The Isles are so low scoring wise because the 3rd and 4th lines combined with their blueline is an offensive wasteland. Their 4th line has a combined ONE goal.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure that one goal was an empty netter

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Kulemon

Well atleast someone respects Ron Wilson.

Kulemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:17 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
The Isles are so low scoring wise because the 3rd and 4th lines combined with their blueline is an offensive wasteland. Their 4th line has a combined ONE goal.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure that one goal was an empty netter
No, Pandolfo scored a shortie.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
2nd and Aulie....But I hope we can resign Nabby

or

Blacker and Aulie....

Its not going to happen but would Leafs except Nino Nabby and PAP for Schenn and Aulie???
Blacker is a stud and Aulie is an NHL ready decent prospect. Why in the hell would the leafs give that up for a 38 yr old rental goalie?

Kulemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:21 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12 View Post
Keith Aulie for Nabokov

Evgeni Nabokov
NYI 3rd 2012

Keith Aulie
TOR 5th 2012

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:22 PM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Blacker is a stud and Aulie is an NHL ready decent prospect. Why in the hell would the leafs give that up for a 38 yr old rental goalie?
He's 36 and has two to three good years left in him and can be resigned!!! Leafs fans

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:27 PM
officialmark7*

Burke is going to pull a robbery, expect a Komisarek for Nabakov type deal.

officialmark7* is offline   Reply With Quote