Notices

Bos/min

Old
02-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

vCash: 500
Bos/min

What would it take to bring Zidlicky, and Clutterbuck to Boston ?

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:31 PM
El Nino22

I'm really not sure that these two teams are a good fit for a trade. If we traded Zids and Clutter we would want in return either a significant defensemen who is young or a scoring forward who is young and signed for some term. I don't think Boston has either of those who they would be willing to give up.

El Nino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:33 PM
forthewild

As above poster mentioned we need scorers and dman mostly puck movers, bos doesnt have either to give up.

For zidz alone tho we could work something out

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Zidlicky would be easy; adding Clutterbuck complicates things. All I know is your 2012 1st rounder would have to be involved. None of your defensive prospects (which is what we need) other than Hamilton (a non-starter on your part, I'm sure) impress me that much. Leaving the Clutterbuck 'fan favorite' aspect out, I would say something along the lines of...

2012 1st rounder
2012 3rd rounder
2013 2nd rounder

would be a start of a conversation.

Last edited by Dr Jan Itor: 02-24-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Zidlicky would be easy; adding Clutterbuck complicates things. All I know is your 2012 1st rounder would have to be involved. None of your defensive prospects (which is what we need) other than Hamilton (a non-starter on your part, I'm sure) impress me that much. Leaving the Clutterbuck 'fan favorite' aspect out, I would say something along the lines of...

2012 1st rounder
2012 3rd rounder
2013 2nd rounder

would be a start of a conversation.
How about just for Zidlicky then?

Old
02-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Dr Jan Itor

2012 2nd
2012 3rd

Old
02-24-2012, 03:04 PM
El Nino22

Quote:
2012 2nd
2012 3rd
Yea that would be ideal. I would also take a 2nd + 4th or 2 ND + solid prospect

Old
02-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetCluttered View Post
Yea that would be ideal. I would also take a 2nd + 4th or 2 ND + solid prospect
I'd push for the 3rd, maybe Zidlicky + our 4th for their 2nd and 3rd or something.

Outside of Hamilton, Boston's D prospects don't seem that much different than our lower level defensive prospects; I guess it adds depth, but I'd rather have the pick to add some flexibility during the draft.

Old
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupChamps2011 View Post
What would it take to bring Zidlicky, and Clutterbuck to Boston ?
Hamilton + 2nd + salary dump would be my counter

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ProfessorMcFatty

For Zidlicky? .... A ham sandwich?

ProfessorMcFatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
And you'd get hung up on very fast. Do you consider Clutterbuck that untouchable? I mean, I like him as a player, but he's not irreplaceable.

Old
02-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
R u serious? :O

Old
02-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

So Clutterbuck is basically untouchable?

Old
02-24-2012, 03:17 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
And you'd get hung up on very fast. Do you consider Clutterbuck that untouchable? I mean, I like him as a player, but he's not irreplaceable.
He's not irreplaceable, but he's damn near unique in the league. The biggest thing is we have no incentive to move Clutterbuck. He's the sort of player every team would love to have, but so few actually do. He's also in that age category where we're most weak. For a team with our lack of depth, we really can't give away a player like Clutterbuck.

Boston would probably hang up on that deal, but there's no reason to ask for less. If no one is willing to pay that for him, we'll gladly keep him ourselves.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:20 PM
El Nino22

Quote:
He isn't untouchable its more of we what we would want for him, you wouldn't give up and what you would offer we would most likely say no. Personally i don't want picks fot clutter

Old
02-24-2012, 03:20 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
He's not untouchable, he's just worth far more to this organization than any other team would likely offer for him.

Old
02-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
He's not irreplaceable, but he's damn near unique in the league. The biggest thing is we have no incentive to move Clutterbuck. He's the sort of player every team would love to have, but so few actually do. He's also in that age category where we're most weak. For a team with our lack of depth, we really can't give away a player like Clutterbuck.

Boston would probably hang up on that deal, but there's no reason to ask for less. If no one is willing to pay that for him, we'll gladly keep him ourselves.
I like Clutterbuck, and I wouldn't be looking to get rid of him, but aside from hits (which I'm not downplaying, although it may seem like it), couldn't a guy like Nick Johnson, or even potentially Bulmer fill his spot as 3rd RW? Our lack of depth is in the top 6, not 3rd line.

Let's say the deal goes through... Zidlicky + Clutterbuck for Boston's 2012 1st rounder, 2012 3rd rounder and 2013 2nd rounder. We finish and draft 9th overall and Boston finishes in the 22 - 25 range. Assuming Yakupov, Grigorenko, Dumba, Murray, Trouba, Galchenyuk and Forsberg are off the board, that leaves us with our choice of Reinhart, Ceci or Reilly (depending on who #8 takes). We could then use Boston's 1st rounder (maybe package it with their 3rd to move up) and grab a guy like Maatta or Skjei, maybe even Koekkoek or Pouliot if they fall. Add them to Brodin and Scandella, and our defense would be as stocked as our O.

I know it wouldn't be popular, but I think it would be something to consider.

Old
02-24-2012, 03:38 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I think it's a little humorous that some that watch this team quite often believe that Zid has no value. The reality of it is, I'm sure most GMs read this season as a bit of an outlier in an otherwise fairly productive career. He is what he is. He's a player that has a skill set and creativity that can be an asset if there's capable players around him. What comes along with that type of play is mistakes. And when you have a team like the Wild with, realistically, 1-2 actual quality NHL defenseman, mistakes are magnified. Even more so when you have a team that literally can be sunk with a single goal allowed.

Savy GMs will read into this situation for what it is. They'll see a guy who's a threat when he's not counted on to be one (like he is in MN, more or less). I think teams out there are trying to get in on the ground floor in terms of price with Zidlicky and that's why he's still here. There's no reason to move this guy for what amounts to nothing that some are calling for.

As for what I'd like to see in return, the Dr. was close. And I likely wouldn't be a fan of the team taking any less than that. I'd prefer to see the team ride this rough patch with him out, however. As there really is no hope, at this point in time, to get any sort of offense from the backend for several years.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:42 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I think it's a little humorous that some that watch this team quite often believe that Zid has no value. The reality of it is, I'm sure most GMs read this season as a bit of an outlier in an otherwise fairly productive career. He is what he is. He's a player that has a skill set and creativity that can be an asset if there's capable players around him. What comes along with that type of play is mistakes. And when you have a team like the Wild with, realistically, 1-2 actual quality NHL defenseman, mistakes are magnified. Even more so when you have a team that literally can be sunk with a single goal allowed.

Savy GMs will read into this situation for what it is. They'll see a guy who's a threat when he's not counted on to be one (like he is in MN, more or less). I think teams out there are trying to get in on the ground floor in terms of price with Zidlicky and that's why he's still here. There's no reason to move this guy for what amounts to nothing that some are calling for.

As for what I'd like to see in return, the Dr. was close. And I likely wouldn't be a fan of the team taking any less than that. I'd prefer to see the team ride this rough patch with him out, however. As there really is no hope, at this point in time, to get any sort of offense from the backend for several years.
Going to agree with this 100%.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:57 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
I like Clutterbuck, and I wouldn't be looking to get rid of him, but aside from hits (which I'm not downplaying, although it may seem like it), couldn't a guy like Nick Johnson, or even potentially Bulmer fill his spot as 3rd RW? Our lack of depth is in the top 6, not 3rd line.

Let's say the deal goes through... Zidlicky + Clutterbuck for Boston's 2012 1st rounder, 2012 3rd rounder and 2013 2nd rounder. We finish and draft 9th overall and Boston finishes in the 22 - 25 range. Assuming Yakupov, Grigorenko, Dumba, Murray, Trouba, Galchenyuk and Forsberg are off the board, that leaves us with our choice of Reinhart, Ceci or Reilly (depending on who #8 takes). We could then use Boston's 1st rounder (maybe package it with their 3rd to move up) and grab a guy like Maatta or Skjei, maybe even Koekkoek or Pouliot if they fall. Add them to Brodin and Scandella, and our defense would be as stocked as our O.

I know it wouldn't be popular, but I think it would be something to consider.
Could Bulmer fill Clutterbuck's 3RW spot? Probably. He'd be a body there that didn't do terrible, but he wouldn't be as good as Clutterbuck (at least next season). The depth reference is the fact that when we have short term injuries, Clutterbuck is more than able to fill in in the top 6. He's the most important type of depth in that he's fully experienced and ready to step in with his linemates. There's no unfamiliarity and learning period.

But trading someone like Clutterbuck for a late draft pick? Say we get Koekkoek or Maata. That means in 3-6 years we might get a top 4 defenseman. Clutterbuck's an RFA after the 2013 season, meaning we'll get at a minimum 2 more years out of him, and likely at least 4-5. We're planning on being a team that makes the playoffs with an early exit next season. We're looking to be a real contender while Clutterbuck is still on the right side of 30. Why would we sell him off when he's the age we'll be looking for?

If we move Clutterbuck, it needs to be for a person, not a pick. Late 1st round picks have something around a 35% chance of having a genuine NHL career. You don't move a quality young NHL player for a 35% chance to have a top 4 defenseman 5 years from now.

Old
02-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Could Bulmer fill Clutterbuck's 3RW spot? Probably. He'd be a body there that didn't do terrible, but he wouldn't be as good as Clutterbuck (at least next season). The depth reference is the fact that when we have short term injuries, Clutterbuck is more than able to fill in in the top 6. He's the most important type of depth in that he's fully experienced and ready to step in with his linemates. There's no unfamiliarity and learning period.

But trading someone like Clutterbuck for a late draft pick? Say we get Koekkoek or Maata. That means in 3-6 years we might get a top 4 defenseman. Clutterbuck's an RFA after the 2013 season, meaning we'll get at a minimum 2 more years out of him, and likely at least 4-5. We're planning on being a team that makes the playoffs with an early exit next season. We're looking to be a real contender while Clutterbuck is still on the right side of 30. Why would we sell him off when he's the age we'll be looking for?

If we move Clutterbuck, it needs to be for a person, not a pick. Late 1st round picks have something around a 35% chance of having a genuine NHL career. You don't move a quality young NHL player for a 35% chance to have a top 4 defenseman 5 years from now.
Yeah, but still...

Good points. Can't really argue against anything you said. I guess I don't consider Clutterbuck in as high of regard as some. Doesn't mean I want him gone, just considering possibilities.

Old
02-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
That was my counter. If you want to win now, you have to give up picks and prospects. Zidlicky and Clutter are each worth late 1sts, but the Wild don't want picks, they want young players, and Hamilton would be the target.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

vCash: 50
Seguin and 2012 2nd, for Clutter & Zids

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:30 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean