HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Flames will miss the playoffs anyways so....

Old
03-24-2012, 06:44 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
You guys are completely out to lunch if you believe Olli Jokinen was trade able at the deadline.

There is absolutely no way he would have waived his NTC in the thick of a playoff race, it just would not happen.

I would have moved Jackman, as there was numerous teams interested in him.
I would have looked to move one of Sarich/Hannan but we have no clue if there was a market large enough to return a good enough asset to warrant moving them in the first place.

Those two trades would have helped slightly but keeping them is in no way a huge detriment to our future.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 06:49 PM
mjw22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB47 View Post
You are quiet the enthusiast aren't ya...While I dont share your mindset tanking to be better aint always proven either. Right now its 50/50 in the NHL. As a matter of fact only 3 teams won a championship via rebuild in the past decade. Pittsburg, Chicago, and the Bruins. How many teams have been at the bottom have drafted high yet failed to make that next major step are plenty. Columbus, Atlanta, NYI, FLA, TOR are ones who have had high picks and no success. One more point, now lets put together teams who have had succefull seasons because of good drafting after tanking for 5-6 years but the end result a Cup never landed in there town. Those teams would be Wash, LA, Rangers, to some extent TB since after lockout, STL, VAN to certain extent.. So until those up north Bottom fOILERS win something I am not sure I agree to them. I am not saying that calgary won`t tank in the next few seasons..they may but Chances of success are still 50-50 after the lottery pick
Unless more than cosmetic changes are made this team will continue to flounder for years to come as fan favs grow older and less productive. Sven will arrive much as Iggy did surrounded by aging declining talent few top end prospects and sadly a good chance of spending his first 8 years out of the play offs. Ownership did little to help Iggy because they had a mistaken belief the team he came to was better than it was sort of what they are doing now .

mjw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 06:59 PM
SB47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw22 View Post
Unless more than cosmetic changes are made this team will continue to flounder for years to come as fan favs grow older and less productive. Sven will arrive much as Iggy did surrounded by aging declining talent few top end prospects and sadly a good chance of spending his first 8 years out of the play offs. Ownership did little to help Iggy because they had a mistaken belief the team he came to was better than it was sort of what they are doing now .
Well I did write a detailed post about that in the GDT thread that losing culture will not be good for the future prospects but I have faith in Feaster for now to make the right decissions for the betterment of our clubs future.

SB47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 07:33 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
They look like idiots now with lack of prospects and picks. People should not get attacked in this thread for saying they should have went into rebuild mode months/year ago.
They are not saying they should have went into rebuild mode, they are saying they should trade our best centerman during a playoff race. But thanks for your input bud.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 08:50 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
You guys are completely out to lunch if you believe Olli Jokinen was trade able at the deadline.

There is absolutely no way he would have waived his NTC in the thick of a playoff race, it just would not happen.

I would have moved Jackman, as there was numerous teams interested in him.
I would have looked to move one of Sarich/Hannan but we have no clue if there was a market large enough to return a good enough asset to warrant moving them in the first place.

Those two trades would have helped slightly but keeping them is in no way a huge detriment to our future.
This. I would assume that injuries or the thought of further injuries prevented Feaster from selling anybody.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:58 PM
AimForTopCheddar
04 Bolts/Flames!

vCash: 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw22 View Post
ya our future is so much brighter than the ones who wipped our ass 6-1
ya Wahl Byron Baertschi Nemisz are so much better than RNH Hall Eberle etc Hell our top line isnt as good
Besides those 3 players, they don't have ****. Klefblom needs a lot of work.

AimForTopCheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:02 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
They are not saying they should have went into rebuild mode, they are saying they should trade our best centerman during a playoff race. But thanks for your input bud.
Our "best centerman" is pointless in his last 7 games and a -7, go figure he should disappear during such a crucial stretch of games. Also his 58 points figure to be 0.76 PPG which is 26th among all centers in the league AND he is a -5 on the season currently.

Maybe he needs a waffle? Again the Flames (and myself) were tricked into thinking we were a playoff team and Jokinen/Jbo actually being a difference makers. thank god we don't pay BOTH of them 6million+.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 06:14 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimForTopCheddar View Post
Besides those 3 players, they don't have ****. Klefblom needs a lot of work.
Untrue. Hemsky is still quite good, hes been getting back into form the last couple weeks. Jones continues to impress fans around here. Glad we hung onto him and didnt let him go ala GlenX.

Smid has become a top pairing shutdown D this season and Petry has taken a massive step forward this season. In a recent game against Florida Petry played 28:50. Hes been leading the team in TOI for some time now.

While our goalies suck, Dubnyk has been playing well the last month or so.

Its true Klefbom needs work, but some recent good news is that hes scored 2 goals thus far in the SEL playoffs and his team moved on to round 2.

We also have some good young D prospects in Marincin and Gernat, who combined for the top pairing on the Czech WJC team.

Dont underestimate Paajarvi, Lander and Pitlick either.

Oh and Ryan Murray.

Last edited by TheBusDriver: 03-26-2012 at 09:14 AM.
TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:50 AM
steveott

you sissy pumpkin big head mac F***KK. this just isnt time for luongo - emulation. you go burger king instead and after that go see your shrink

you guys go take efedrine or ANYTHING illegal.

steveott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Svensational
THANK YOU IGGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveott View Post
you sissy pumpkin big head mac F***KK. this just isnt time for luongo - emulation. you go burger king instead and after that go see your shrink

you guys go take efedrine or ANYTHING illegal.
????

I wish you were the real steve ott to tell you how much I would want to bash your head.

Svensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy

vCash: 240
I think the real Steve Ott at least speaks comprehensible English...

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:09 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
Untrue. Hemsky is still quite good, hes been getting back into form the last couple weeks. Jones continues to impress fans around here. Glad we hung onto him and didnt let him go ala GlenX.

Smid has become a top pairing shutdown D this season and Petry has taken a massive step forward this season. In a recent game against Florida Petry played 28:50. Hes been leading the team in TOI for some time now.

While our goalies suck, Dubnyk has been playing well the last month or so.

Its true Klefbom needs work, but some recent good news is that hes scored 2 goals thus far in the SEL playoffs and his team moved on to round 2.

We also have some good young D prospects in Marincin and Gernat, who combined for the top pairing on the Czech WJC team.

Dont underestimate Paajarvi, Lander and Pitlick either.

Oh and Ryan Murray.
I like Smid and all but he isn't a top shutdown defender. On a good team he is a 3/4 maybe #2 when paired with a very good dman. The oil still need a #1 dman before I would consider them to have a good defense. Petry might have the potential down the road.

Old
03-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
I like Smid and all but he isn't a top shutdown defender. On a good team he is a 3/4 maybe #2 when paired with a very good dman. The oil still need a #1 dman before I would consider them to have a good defense. Petry might have the potential down the road.
Smid is at best a #4. At the very best. Giordano and JBo are good #2's. Smid can't hold their jockstraps.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:01 PM
tfong

Heh Well Peca says Jbo can't hold anyones jockstraps:p

Old
03-26-2012, 01:14 PM
steveott

just frustration.. OJ can do so much better..

steveott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 04:02 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Our "best centerman" is pointless in his last 7 games and a -7, go figure he should disappear during such a crucial stretch of games. Also his 58 points figure to be 0.76 PPG which is 26th among all centers in the league AND he is a -5 on the season currently.

Maybe he needs a waffle? Again the Flames (and myself) were tricked into thinking we were a playoff team and Jokinen/Jbo actually being a difference makers. thank god we don't pay BOTH of them 6million+.
I think Jokinen is distracted by contract negotiations. Fortunately for us (upon resigning him) he's lowing his contract value. The unfortunate, however, is that he's disappeared down this critical stretch.

Old
03-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Oillio*
OMB god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
Smid is at best a #4. At the very best. Giordano and JBo are good #2's. Smid can't hold their jockstraps.
you sir give a whole new meaning to the word homer. jbo is overpaid and overrated and giordano is pretty much equal to smid. although smid is better defensively.

Oillio* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 05:12 PM
OrrwastheBeatles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oillio2pointOh View Post
you sir give a whole new meaning to the word homer. jbo is overpaid and overrated and giordano is pretty much equal to smid. although smid is better defensively.
yes he's the homer!

OrrwastheBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Oillio*
OMB god

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrwastheBeatles View Post
yes he's the homer!
look at some stats why dont'cha

Old
03-26-2012, 05:19 PM
nogger
#wemissyoubutler

Quote:
look at some stats why dont'cha
lol @ Smid better than Giordano

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Oillio*
OMB god

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
lol @ Smid better than Giordano
smid is better defensively, which is true. giordano is better offensively.
basically theyre both solid 3/4 guys on good teams.

Old
03-26-2012, 06:26 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
This is wrong Jbo is a number one defenseman Gio is a number 2, Smid ideally is a number 3 but doesn't look terrible as a number 2 and would be great with Jbo.

Quote:
smid is better defensively, which is true. giordano is better offensively.
basically theyre both solid 3/4 guys on good teams.
Gio is a number two defenseman Smid and Gio are equal defensively and Gio is much better at offense than Smid is. Smid is a number 3, Gio is a number 2.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 07:45 PM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
This is wrong Jbo is a number one defenseman Gio is a number 2, Smid ideally is a number 3 but doesn't look terrible as a number 2 and would be great with Jbo.

Gio is a number two defenseman Smid and Gio are equal defensively and Gio is much better at offense than Smid is. Smid is a number 3, Gio is a number 2.
You are underrating Smid, hes taken a real step forward this season.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 07:48 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
You are underrating Smid, hes taken a real step forward this season.
Do you believe he is better than Gio? I think Gio is the definition of a great number 2 defenseman maybe Smid is a low end number 2 but no way is he as good as Gio.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:38 PM
MarkGio

Smid is badass. Really physical and blocks shots, but he doesn't see the ice Giordano does