HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moen's going nowhere. WHIIICKKET!!!

Old
02-24-2012, 04:10 PM
MathMan

vCash: 500
What's Moen worth on the trade market, a second rounder a la Dominic Moore? Less?

A second round pick has at least 70% chance of not netting a significant NHL player.

That 30% chance of getting something is a heck of a lot better than getting nothing, which is why trading expiring UFAs you're not going to re-sign makes sense. But it probably isn't worth a real NHL player you're planning to keep for a few more years.

While the draft is vitally important, it's also important not to overestimate the value of individual draft picks either.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 04:17 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Moens a battered and bruised player whose skills are in decline.

In every fcking deal that Gauthier has made he's had a 3rd liner put in the deal, what was his plan? Stock up Hamilton? Seriously where is Schultz? Bournival? Geoffrion? One of these should be in the plan for next year.

Let the new GM sort it out, but Moen is definitely not an essential player or at the least not an irreplaceable player. Gauthier is a lame duck who shouldn't be allowed to make decisions that impact beyond this year.
He's not irreplacable, but he has to be replaced! if GM is banking on possible UFA signing and unproven rookies to take over the bottom 6, well you'r probably a bad GM! if you have not noticed, habs and teams in general want to have experienced players playing in their bottom 6. Especially if you'r bringing up rookies, you want to have the right experienced players in the lineup to help em develop. All your arguments are prefabricated to keep your illusion alive of PG being absolutly terrible to the teeth, and it shows in your lack of wanting to understand any given situation, in this case why would PG want to keep moen around. (who by no means is in his prime, but he's definatly still damn usefull, especially if Contenders are inquiering about him, should be enough of a reason to speculate that Moen is an important player to any team). If he's easly replacable, then there shouldnt be much demand for moen, thus a crappy return, which probably wont be the case if he does/would get traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
What's Moen worth on the trade market, a second rounder a la Dominic Moore? Less?

A second round pick has at least 70% chance of not netting a significant NHL player.

That 30% chance of getting something is a heck of a lot better than getting nothing, which is why trading expiring UFAs you're not going to re-sign makes sense. But it probably isn't worth a real NHL player you're planning to keep for a few more years.

While the draft is vitally important, it's also important not to overestimate the value of individual draft picks either.
If we don't sign him, then yea trade him. If we don't intend to sign and he's just here for the remainder of the season, then yea terrible move on part of PG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Not to mention, we only lost one game in regulation time in that entire series but won three in regulation. Bruins also had luck on their side. Who could forget the Cammalleri overtime shot that hit Chara's snow-shoe sized skate with Chara's back to the play. You need a few breaks to win and the Bruins got several in their championship run....the Cammy shot off Chara's foot (when he wasn't even looking) was a biggie.

Edit: Having said all that, if Habs don't already have an agreement with Moen, they should trade him. Teams like Detroit and Vancouver could really use him.
Ruins definatly indeed benifited from some luck, no doubt. Was interesting series and i'm sure a bunch of our rooks learned a lesson or two then.

Last edited by uiCk: 02-24-2012 at 04:27 PM.
uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 04:18 PM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
If he re-signs at a good price, it could ok I guess. It'd be nice to go out and sign Gaustad and finally have an identity on the bottom 6, mainly on the 4th line :

Patches - DD - Cole
Parise - Plekanec - Gionta
Bourque - Eller - Leblanc
Moen - Gaustad - White

It's not bad. Could be better though.
fixed

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 04:19 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Re-sign him before the deadline or trade. I don't want to risk losing him on "good faith".

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 04:19 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Am I the only one wondering what 'WHIIICKET!!!' means?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 04:20 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Am I the only one wondering what 'WHIIICKET!!!' means?
probably Wicked

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 04:29 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
probably Wicked

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
If Moen was healthy and still playing then it would've made more sense just to trade him and get a decent return, however I doubt team's are offering up anything significant at this point. Best case scenario we would've likely got a 2nd for him but if he indeed has a concussion which is holding him out I doubt team's would give up anything close to that. I'd rather re-sign him instead of trading him for something like a late third rounder..
Sometimes you have to wonder if players fake injuries around trade deadline time
just so they won't have to move during hockey season...just saying a lot of injuries
around this time of the year... not just habs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 04:54 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
You're speaking with way too much logic! Most on this board think Habs fans are entitled to the Stanley Cup championship every year even though there are 29 other teams who all work under the same CBA, the same salary cap, try to acquire from the same player pool etc. These same entitled posters are also in denial regarding all the disadvantages (taxes, language, idiot fans and media etc) that Habs management has to face. If only life was so easy...
After witnessing 18 (19) years of Canadiens futility, you come out with this winner.

Dumbest post ever on the Canadiens board.......and I have seen some really dumb ones.

Congrats.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

I haven't read this thread entirely, but has anyone thought that the reason the habs may not trade Moen is simply because he's injured?

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:02 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
mark this down in your calendat SH, im agreeing with you!
Gonna go buy a Mega Millions Lottery ticket now.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:04 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
I haven't read this thread entirely, but has anyone thought that the reason the habs may not trade Moen is simply because he's injured?
You're allowed to trade injured players.

pine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:09 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
i dont understand this argument

he's not meant to play a top 6 game.
He would be a 3rd/4th liner on any team

He was a 3rd/4th liner on anaheim and yes he was really vital to their success

maltby, draper, pahlson, carbo, gainey, keane, laperriere, claude lemieux all 3rd/4th liners all were vital to their teams and none would play in the top 6

just cause someone plays on the 3rd/4th does no mean they are useless, its their role.
I'm not stupid, I understand he plays a role.

But we have one of the worst teams in the league and yet people want to bring back these same players. Why? He's a 3rd liner. People act like he's the difference between a win and a loss. Trade him while he has value and find someone else to replace him in the summer.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:12 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I'm not stupid, I understand he plays a role.

But we have one of the worst teams in the league and yet people want to bring back these same players. Why? He's a 3rd liner. People act like he's the difference between a win and a loss. Trade him while he has value and find someone else to replace him in the summer.
Exactly.

He has no use for the current team other than being a tradeable asset.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:13 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Exactly.

Look at the Bruins. Their core players are all 2nd/3rd rounders. Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Marchand. I'll take a small chance at getting a player like that and replace Moen in the summer with a player that is just like him.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:14 PM
durojean

Yes... Build around players like Moen and Gorges while letting go natural talent like Kostitsyn...

What a good way to win games... They better not give Moen 3 million a year

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Exactly.

Bourque. Kaberle. Now the Moen and Kostistyn situations.

It's almost like Gauthier is flipping the bird to fans as his career as a GM comes to an end.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
You're allowed to trade injured players.
In some circumstances, yes. If you don't know the extend of the player injury, it's probably not that simple.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
After witnessing 18 (19) years of Canadiens futility, you come out with this winner.

Dumbest post ever on the Canadiens board.......and I have seen some really dumb ones.

Congrats.
So 18 or 19 years of "futility" (maybe the most overdramatic reference ever on this board) because we haven't won a Cup in a 30 team league and you're ready to go postal. You certainly fall into that "entitled" category.

This board used to be a great place to read good Habs insight but you've been a significant contributor to it going in the toilet recently and to us losing some great posters.

I would like to apologize to the many who have Southern Hab on their ignore list for quoting him.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:59 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
If he re-signs at a good price, it could ok I guess. It'd be nice to go out and sign Gaustad and finally have an identity on the bottom 6, mainly on the 4th line :

Patches - DD - Cole
XXX - Plekanec - Gionta
Bourque - Eller - Leblanc
Moen - Gaustad - White

It's not bad. Could be better though.
Yes please.

Add in Ray Whitney for the second line (nearly a PPG player and about 40% in the shootouts in the last 4-years).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Bourque. Kaberle. Now the Moen and Kostistyn situations.

It's almost like Gauthier is flipping the bird to fans as his career as a GM comes to an end.
I still love the Bourque trade.

I also don't hate the Kaberle trade. I'm not in love with it, but I see what he was trying to do when he made the trade. I hate the 3-years, but I also think that Kaberle will be even better with a healthy Markov, so we can use someone like Gorges to cover-up his mistakes (Markov-Subban, Kaberle-Gorges, Emelin-Diaz).

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 06:09 PM
FeelsLike93

Does anybody else get the feeling Gauthiers saying Moens unavailable so that hes getting other teams to want him more? I just think hes playing mind games and that Moen will go to the highest bigger when everythings said and done monday.

FeelsLike93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 06:12 PM
gusfring

According to Dreger, contract talks haven't started yet. Wow.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 06:22 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
I thought this was a perfect opportunity to get great value for him, but i guess he's a good player to have on the team. I assume this means its a fait accompli that he gets re-signed, but I'll be worried he won't until it happens all the same...
Moen has value to all teams, including us moving forward. If he ever gets to play his true role, 4th line energy, we'll be happy to have him. Good grit, Good PK, stand up guy, I'm happy

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 06:23 PM
tinyzombies

Great news. WOuld have been IDIOTIC to trade him. This team needs more like him, not less.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
So 18 or 19 years of "futility" (maybe the most overdramatic reference ever on this board) because we haven't won a Cup in a 30 team league and you're ready to go postal. You certainly fall into that "entitled" category.

This board used to be a great place to read good Habs insight but you've been a significant contributor to it going in the toilet recently and to us losing some great posters.

I would like to apologize to the many who have Southern Hab on their ignore list for quoting him.
Can't agree with you on that one. That's not about winning a cup. That's about 1 3rd round in 18 years. The upcoming draft will have kids who were NOT born when we won our last cup. Not about remembering it. Not being born. And less and less people have to refer to their grandad to remember how this team was once good. I'm 40, and do remember the late 70's, but have more in mind the 86's Cup, the 89's Finals and 93' Cup. That's about it. So it's not about being entitled to a Cup every year. It's about hoping we would have went the Wings route. Hoping we would have improved. Hoping we would have become a force to be reckon with. Hoping that we'd become more than just "another" team in a 30-team league. That's what the Habs are supposed to be about. Not winning the cup every year. But being relevant almost every year.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote