HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moen's going nowhere. WHIIICKKET!!!

Old
02-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
According to Dreger, contract talks haven't started yet. Wow.
For the sake of talking, you hope that it's not true. And if it is, the only reason why he'd be untouchable is that he's hurt for the rest of the season. To which you wonder....why the heck don't we know about it?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Andy

If he isn't being offered much for Moen, I'd rather the habs keep him.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:06 PM
SID87BORG

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I'm not stupid, I understand he plays a role.

But we have one of the worst teams in the league and yet people want to bring back these same players. Why? He's a 3rd liner. People act like he's the difference between a win and a loss. Trade him while he has value and find someone else to replace him in the summer.
This. And frankly as far as 3rd liners go, I'm not that impressed by him, though he plays with heart, I'll give him that.

SID87BORG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:51 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID87BORG View Post
This. And frankly as far as 3rd liners go, I'm not that impressed by him, though he plays with heart, I'll give him that.
Lets take a look at the Boston Bruins, reigning Stanley Cup Champions.

3rd Line (before Peverley injury)

Peverley 9 Goals
Kelly 15 Goals
Pouliot 9 Goals

4th Line

Gregory Campbell 6 Goals
Shawn Thornton 4 Goals
Daniel Paille 9 Goals

Travis Moen 9 Goals

Who are you going to get that is better than Moen for the third line when the Bruins only have one player on their 3rd line with more goals....Chris Kelly. And unlike Kelly, Peverley, Pouliot and Paille, Moen has the ability to stand up for his teammates and drop the gloves.

So who do you want? Tom Pyatt?

And with regards to the post saying that Gauthier has not even begun negotiations.........if true.........this is another reason to fire the idiot. Only a clueless idiot would let the other GMs know that Moen is not available for trade and has not begun the negotiations to sign him before he walks as a UFA.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Moen did very well this year.

That said, he didnt do all that good last year, granted he was paired with Gomez and Gionta for a while (you know your team has it hard when been paired with a 12M duo forwards is consider a bad thing for a 4th liner...)

I am always reluctant to re-ink a forward who's putting 1.5 more goals in less games than the year before when in a contract year.

Dont count me against resigning Moen automaticly, but count me in as someone who's not willing to risk loosing him for nothing.

Either trade him, either sign him right now. Not trading him in hopes of signing him later on is absolutly unnaceptable imo.

The same apply to Kostitsyn btw.

How could a GM that is in a position to add picks and prospects accept to let the trade deadline pass without contracts or picks in his back pocket for his players to beyond stupid. There is no need to take any risk when you are 15th in your conference... that's what teams in the playoffs race can do and we arent this year.

Sign them, trade them, fine by me... But do it now, either way.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:55 PM
Forsead

Seeing the price Smithson was let go by Nash I wonder if offer were pretty bad for Moen and that's could also made the choice easy.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:50 PM
larek

Either sign him before Monday or trade him--- its not that complicated

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:24 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Man I really cannot stand Moen. He's the sort of guy I really don't want on our third and fourth. He's afraid of his own shadow, fights because he has to but he's scared everytime and tries to survive them rather than win them. Never defends any teamates. He's good on the PK and that's it. Habs should dump him and Darche as far away from this team.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:35 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
Either sign him before Monday or trade him--- its not that complicated
Exactly, I fail to see how there could be any other option.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:42 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Lets take a look at the Boston Bruins, reigning Stanley Cup Champions.

3rd Line (before Peverley injury)

Peverley 9 Goals
Kelly 15 Goals
Pouliot 9 Goals

4th Line

Gregory Campbell 6 Goals
Shawn Thornton 4 Goals
Daniel Paille 9 Goals

Travis Moen 9 Goals

Who are you going to get that is better than Moen for the third line when the Bruins only have one player on their 3rd line with more goals....Chris Kelly. And unlike Kelly, Peverley, Pouliot and Paille, Moen has the ability to stand up for his teammates and drop the gloves.

So who do you want? Tom Pyatt?

And with regards to the post saying that Gauthier has not even begun negotiations.........if true.........this is another reason to fire the idiot. Only a clueless idiot would let the other GMs know that Moen is not available for trade and has not begun the negotiations to sign him before he walks as a UFA.
Moen scores a bunch early in the regular season then does nothing the rest of the year. Pretty much what happened season before this one too if I recall. He went on a huge tear that isn't really indicative of much.

I like Moen, but he's insanely overrated on these boards. Like Gorges is. Their mysterious leadership qualities have led a decent team to the bottom of the eastern conferences so not like they got some incredible and mysterious intangibles.

He's a decent 3rd/4th liner but nothing extraordinary and we're missing way more than Moen to be good next year, and if he can garner a Gill like return than we ought to give Timmins those picks. If we were a contender I'd want to hold unto a perfectly decent 3rd/4th liner, but since we're not, he's worth more in some deadline deal overpayment.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
Yes... Build around players like Moen and Gorges while letting go natural talent like Kostitsyn...

What a good way to win games... They better not give Moen 3 million a year
That post made me laugh out loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
According to Dreger, contract talks haven't started yet. Wow.
I don't see the problem. It's Travis Moen we're talking about, right? There were no contract talks at the deadline with Tomas Plekanec, or with Andrei Markov (twice when becoming a UFA) and they still sign with the team.

What's to say that both sides didn't have an informal meeting? What's to say that Moen said that he wanted to remain a Canadien?

I find that people panic too quickly without knowing the truth of what's really going on. Relax folks.

I still think that if they don't trade Moen, there are two reasons:
  1. They will re-sign him (in due time); or
  2. His value has dropped too much with his injury that it's worth the gamble of trying to convince him to re-sign

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:38 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
That post made me laugh out loud.

I don't see the problem. It's Travis Moen we're talking about, right? There were no contract talks at the deadline with Tomas Plekanec, or with Andrei Markov (twice when becoming a UFA) and they still sign with the team.

What's to say that both sides didn't have an informal meeting? What's to say that Moen said that he wanted to remain a Canadien?

I find that people panic too quickly without knowing the truth of what's really going on. Relax folks.

I still think that if they don't trade Moen, there are two reasons:
  1. They will re-sign him (in due time); or
  2. His value has dropped too much with his injury that it's worth the gamble of trying to convince him to re-sign
I hope you're right, because if he's not re-signed I'd be pissed. Either trade him or sign him....I don't care how poor the return is. Get something.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I hope you're right, because if he's not re-signed I'd be pissed. Either trade him or sign him....I don't care how poor the return is. Get something.
I disagree. If the offer is a 4th rounder for him (due to his injury), I'd gamble and keep him to try to re-sign him.

Old
02-25-2012, 09:43 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Great news. WOuld have been IDIOTIC to trade him. This team needs more like him, not less.
NO NO NO!!!!

It would be IDIOTIC NOT TO TRADE him, gain at least a decent pick and/or prospect, have a talk with him that we would be interested in signing him in the off-season.

If he truly wants to come back and sign he will.

IDIOTIC is not getting assets for a team that is going nowhere!!!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
NO NO NO!!!!

It would be IDIOTIC NOT TO TRADE him, gain at least a decent pick and/or prospect, have a talk with him that we would be interested in signing him in the off-season.

IDIOTIC is not getting assets for a team that is going nowhere!!!
That's fantasy land talk. The idea of trading a player and re-signing him. It's not unheard of, but it rarely happens.

If we want to go forward with Moen, and personally i do, then i think its quite simple. PG gets on the phone with his agent today and offers him another 3 years at $4.5 with a deadline of tomorrow at noon to accept the deal. If he's willing to stay here at a reasonable contract then we keep him and both parties are happy.

If he refuses that deal, or indicates that he wants to test the market, then we move him for whatever we can get on Monday.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Andy

Quote:
I disagree. If the offer is a 4th rounder for him (due to his injury), I'd gamble and keep him to try to re-sign him.
This.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
NO NO NO!!!!

With his injury, the offer may not be that though and that's where it's worth the gamble to keep him, to try re-signing him while you still own his rights.

Quote:
Someone would have to check, but didn't the NHL pass a rule a couple of years ago preventing that from happening? Or am I thinking of something else?

Old
02-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
I'd ship him out for a 4th.

Anyways, guys like Moen can be had a few days prior to free agency for 4th-5th rounders. There are way to be a bit creative to land a Moen type of player.

Keeping him in hope of resigning him without actually knowing you can is wrong imo, given the habs position.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Someone would have to check, but didn't the NHL pass a rule a couple of years ago preventing that from happening? Or am I thinking of something else?
I believe you're thinking about the mechanics of the waiver system, where they make sure that a released player is made available to every other team first before possibly re-joining the team that waived them. I'm not sure, but it may even be impossible for a waived player to rejoin that same team in the same season. Yeah, we could use a double check on this.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:22 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun View Post
I'd ship him out for a 4th.

Anyways, guys like Moen can be had a few days prior to free agency for 4th-5th rounders. There are way to be a bit creative to land a Moen type of player.

Keeping him in hope of resigning him without actually knowing you can is wrong imo, given the habs position.
really... that's your logic ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
If he isn't being offered much for Moen, I'd rather the habs keep him.
Not if we don't intend on re-signing him. We are not making the POs, there's no point in keeping any player that won't be re-signed. There's also no point in risking losing te ones you want to keep, so contract talks should be into works With both sides being optimistic about agreeing on a deal.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I believe you're thinking about the mechanics of the waiver system, where they make sure that a released player is made available to every other team first before possibly re-joining the team that waived them. I'm not sure, but it may even be impossible for a waived player to rejoin that same team in the same season. Yeah, we could use a double check on this.
Yes, you're right, the rule about European players, right? But I still think that there was one about the UFA's... but I could be wrong on that. It wouldn't be the first time, just ask my wife.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:51 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Moen scores a bunch early in the regular season then does nothing the rest of the year. Pretty much what happened season before this one too if I recall. He went on a huge tear that isn't really indicative of much.

I like Moen, but he's insanely overrated on these boards. Like Gorges is. Their mysterious leadership qualities have led a decent team to the bottom of the eastern conferences so not like they got some incredible and mysterious intangibles.

He's a decent 3rd/4th liner but nothing extraordinary and we're missing way more than Moen to be good next year, and if he can garner a Gill like return than we ought to give Timmins those picks. If we were a contender I'd want to hold unto a perfectly decent 3rd/4th liner, but since we're not, he's worth more in some deadline deal overpayment.
I hate to tell you this but the reason we are at the bottom of the Conference has NOTHING to do with Moen. Moen is a 4th line player who has been put in roles that do not fit his talent level.

The reasons we are at the bottom is a weak and soft D and four lines of exactly similar players. This team does not have role players. Roll three lines and put the scrub of the day on the 4th line and lets go win.

Moen is a perfect 4th liner as he can fight, play on the PK and chip in a few timely goals.

Do we overpay for him? No. Do we trade him for a middle round pick (4th or lower)? No. Do we let him walk as a UFA? No, but probably will happen.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:15 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
If the guy is injured for most or all of the remaining season, he cannot be traded.

Then, Gauthier or the next GM will have to find out if he wants to re-sign or not with the team.

Hopefully he will. But I would not be surprised if we loose him on the UFA market for nothing (again....)

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:48 PM
DrunkenHabz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
If he re-signs at a good price, it could ok I guess. It'd be nice to go out and sign Gaustad and finally have an identity on the bottom 6, mainly on the 4th line :

Patches - DD - Cole
XXX - Plekanec - Gionta
Bourque - Eller - Leblanc
Moen - Gaustad - White

It's not bad. Could be better though.
Could be way better indeed. 2nd line would be nicknamed the Dwraves Line or Let's Get Destroyed. And would XXX be our beloved Scott...

DrunkenHabz is offline   Reply With Quote