HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

The NHL is evil: The union is good

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-02-2004, 01:23 PM
  #1
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 62,898
vCash: 500
The NHL is evil: The union is good

http://www.nypost.com/sports/33013.htm

Quote:
This is a union prepared to fight for its collective bargaining rights. This is a fight to the finish, and there is only one side with which to stand here.
lol.......Larry Brooks, what a chump.

Jaysfanatic* is offline  
Old
11-02-2004, 01:54 PM
  #2
oilers_guy_eddie
Registered User
 
oilers_guy_eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Intolerable climate
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 10,696
vCash: 500
Is "Slap Shots" Larry Brooks? When he says "Slap Shots has learned that..." does he really mean "I heard that..."? If not, to whom does "Slap Shots" refer? If so, isn't it kind of weird to talk about yourself in the third person? Isn't it even weirder to refer to yourself as "Slap Shots"? What is the origin of this name? Is that what Mrs Brooks calls him? Considering the content of most of his articles, would "Slap Nutz" be a better nickname? I always find myself wondering these things when I read a Larry Brooks article.

Larry Brooks... international man of mystery.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline  
Old
11-02-2004, 02:01 PM
  #3
chara
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic
http://www.nypost.com/sports/33013.htm



lol.......Larry Brooks, what a chump.

Agreed.

This union is not the same as the Steelworker union, for example, where the average guy makes just enought to pay the bills and maybe puts something aside for their kids education.

This should not be confused with a member of the NHLPA, who made $1.8M last year, put filet mignon on the table and sent his kids to private schools.

Brooks is nothing but a butt kisser. Kiss butt now, get better interviews later. What a gutless jerk.

chara is offline  
Old
11-02-2004, 02:04 PM
  #4
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,458
vCash: 500
ya know what...

I'd rather watch SCABS!

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
11-02-2004, 02:53 PM
  #5
Onion Boy
Registered User
 
Onion Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: Japan
Posts: 2,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Is "Slap Shots" Larry Brooks? When he says "Slap Shots has learned that..." does he really mean "I heard that..."? If not, to whom does "Slap Shots" refer? If so, isn't it kind of weird to talk about yourself in the third person? Isn't it even weirder to refer to yourself as "Slap Shots"? What is the origin of this name? Is that what Mrs Brooks calls him? Considering the content of most of his articles, would "Slap Nutz" be a better nickname? I always find myself wondering these things when I read a Larry Brooks article.

Larry Brooks... international man of mystery.
I believe Slap Shots is the title of his column. Very creative with the "Slap Nutz" though.......

Onion Boy is offline  
Old
11-02-2004, 03:34 PM
  #6
YellHockey*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chara
Brooks is nothing but a butt kisser. Kiss butt now, get better interviews later. What a gutless jerk.
Actually Brooks is the only hockey writer in North America courageous enough to stand up to the owners and expose them for what they are doing right now.

The rest of the hockey media are a bunch of cronies for the owners. They're too scared to lose their jobs to speak the truth. Remember a lot of the media knew about Allen Eagleson but were afraid to say anything. He might still be leading the PA if not for a guy in a small paper in New England who showed the courage to expose him for the criminal that he is.

I find it ironic that the misled masses feel that players like Commodore and Daganais are couragous because they are going against public opinion while a writer like Brooks is vilified because he's telling it like it is.

YellHockey* is offline  
Old
11-02-2004, 03:51 PM
  #7
Boilers*
 
Boilers*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold
Actually Brooks is the only hockey writer in North America courageous enough to stand up to the owners and expose them for what they are doing right now.

The rest of the hockey media are a bunch of cronies for the owners. They're too scared to lose their jobs to speak the truth. Remember a lot of the media knew about Allen Eagleson but were afraid to say anything. He might still be leading the PA if not for a guy in a small paper in New England who showed the courage to expose him for the criminal that he is.

I find it ironic that the misled masses feel that players like Commodore and Daganais are couragous because they are going against public opinion while a writer like Brooks is vilified because he's telling it like it is.

Just keep smokin' that Black red, and gold . If you don't understand that a salary cap is the way to keep the poor sisters in the game, then maybe you've already lost too much brainpower to effectively convey the reason why you want these poor teams to fold, 'cuz effectively that's what's going to happen.

Boilers* is offline  
Old
11-02-2004, 03:53 PM
  #8
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold
Actually Brooks is the only hockey writer in North America courageous enough to stand up to the owners and expose them for what they are doing right now.

The rest of the hockey media are a bunch of cronies for the owners. They're too scared to lose their jobs to speak the truth. Remember a lot of the media knew about Allen Eagleson but were afraid to say anything. He might still be leading the PA if not for a guy in a small paper in New England who showed the courage to expose him for the criminal that he is.

I find it ironic that the misled masses feel that players like Commodore and Daganais are couragous because they are going against public opinion while a writer like Brooks is vilified because he's telling it like it is.
You know, at this point I dont really care who's in the right, who's in the wrong. For the sake of your argument, lets say the owners are greedy, lying, looking to royally screw the players over. You know what? I want that same bunch of greedy, conniving, manipulative, filthy rich group of owners to destroy utterly the age of the NHLPA. Because its vital for the welfare of the The Game. The Game cannot handle an NHLPA win here. You cannot have the patients running the Asylum.

windowlicker is offline  
Old
11-02-2004, 04:01 PM
  #9
YellHockey*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodsport
If you don't understand that a salary cap is the way to keep the poor sisters in the game
Which poor sisters?

According to reports the Rangers, Capitals, Blues are the teams losing the most money. Do you really think any of those franchises are going to fold?

YellHockey* is offline  
Old
11-02-2004, 04:04 PM
  #10
YellHockey*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Because its vital for the welfare of the The Game. The Game cannot handle an NHLPA win here. You cannot have the patients running the Asylum.
Here's a simple equation for you:

The Game != The NHL

Major league hockey is a multiBILLION dollar industry. An industry that size isn't going away any time soon.

Would it really be a bad thing for the game if guys like Bill Wirtz and Jeremy Jacobs were no longer involved in it?

YellHockey* is offline  
Old
11-02-2004, 04:08 PM
  #11
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold
Here's a simple equation for you:

The Game != The NHL

Major league hockey is a multiBILLION dollar industry. An industry that size isn't going away any time soon.

Would it really be a bad thing for the game if guys like Bill Wirtz and Jeremy Jacobs were no longer involved in it?
Fair enough.
Now, since you are so firmly in the NHLPA's corner, can you submit a quick list of all the benefits and positive outcomes that will come to the game of hockey in North America (meaning NHL), if the NHLPA clearly walks away with a win here?

windowlicker is offline  
Old
11-02-2004, 04:27 PM
  #12
Boilers*
 
Boilers*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold
Which poor sisters?

According to reports the Rangers, Capitals, Blues are the teams losing the most money. Do you really think any of those franchises are going to fold?
If your not Detroit,Toronto,Boston,Philly,Rangers,Blues or Minny. Then you're at risk of losing your team due to contraction,especially if your in a non-traditional market.The Capitals could fold quite easily. I still want a better answer as to why you feel that you alone seem to be informed about such matters when the rest of the hockey world sees the truth being reflected via the owners strong,united,and common sense approach.

Boilers* is offline  
Old
11-02-2004, 04:41 PM
  #13
Pepper
Registered User
 
Pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
This is a union prepared to fight for its collective bargaining rights. This is a fight to the finish, and there is only one side with which to stand here.
lmao, looks like another prediction gone horriby wrong by Brooks.

Really, it should be obvious now that Brooks & Strachan were the only 2 journalists dumb enough to swallow NHLPA's propaganda line.

Pepper is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.