HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Hemsky signs 2 year, $10million ($5million AAV)

Old
02-24-2012, 08:53 PM
Alex87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
That's an interesting comment.
But why? I'm not sure what he's getting at there... am I missing something? 2 years at a nice round number seems pretty vanilla to me.

Alex87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Bizarre comment.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:54 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
How? Because he should be trying to get more? I don't get it, sounds like an unfounded comment from someone FAR away from the situation.
Yeah, I'm not sure how that guy connected those dots.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:55 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Wrote the Flames: "The tweet was meant to come from a personal account, which we do not condone either, but mistakenly made its way onto our timeline. It is an internal issue that will be dealt with and it does not reflect the thoughts and opinions of the Calgary Flames organization."

Someone's getting fiiiired.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Jmask83

LOL at the overreaction. I think what will lead to a work stoppage is those moronic 10 years albatross deals. Not a 2 year deal that has zero affect on our ability to sign the rest of our players.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Eddy Oiler*

And for everyone who doesn't think Oiler fans overvalue their players, I give you this:

2-3 years ago there was a rumour and some talk the Bruins wanted to get rid of Milan Lucic. Hemsky was brought up as a trade option. I remember getting into it with people here about Hemsky and how they would never trade hemsky straight up for Lucic. That is when I realized the people around here have rose colored glasses. In fact, I bet there's even one or two here who STILL think that!! And that's just insane ,and if you do, you need a new hobby. That is how Edmonton Oiler fans think. They hang on to losers like Schremp and Omark and PRV and think they will be something and never will.

Eddy Oiler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Yeah, I'm not sure how that guy connected those dots.
I am going to guess that the person thinks Hemsky is underpaid and that contract is too sweet a deal for the Oilers.

vcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Hemmer takes less to stay, good for us

Hey Nucks fan here lurking your boards...

Is this a 'hometown' discount?? yikes

vcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Oiler View Post
Tambellini has to go. $5 million for a guy with chronic shoulder problems and not even 10 goals. Horcoff is now the second worst contract in the league. Did anybody see how the rest of the league is laughing their heads off at this signing. A disgrace.

3 years at $10 million was more in line and even that too much. This will be a Horcoff like albatross. I hate this ****ing team.
While it's a severe overpayment for a medicore, one dimensional offensive player with major injury problems and an inability to learn how to play a team game, it's still no where near as bad as the Horcoff contract. There are just few contracts in NHL that will ever compare to the 6 year commitment(with a NMC) to plug like Horcoff.

But I understand what you feel man. It's like Horcoff's contract day all over again, the team commits to continuing with a player that doesn't cut it, and everyone is high fiving likes it's a wonderful thing.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CupofOil

Quote:
Well you are correct in the fact that a longer term with an injury prone player is much worse. I will give you that. $5 mill is way way eay too much for Ales Hemsky. Nobody will change my opinion. He's been a good Oiler only because we have sucked for many many years and nothing else to compare him to. Now he's a second line player and making way too much.
It's only for 2 years though so it's not like the contract will prevent the Oilers from re-signing their stars or prevent them from bringing in other players plus i don't believe that there is a NTC (correct me if i'm wrong) so they can move him next season or the season after if need be.
He likes playing here and gave up his unrestricted free agency to sign short term, i think that's big for a market like Edmonton.

Who would you have replaced Hemsky with if he was dealt? I asked this to a couple of other posters that wanted him traded and got no sensible answer.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
how so? i dont understand

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:01 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
But I understand what you feel man. It's like Horcoff's contract day all over again, the team commits to continuing with a player that doesn't cut it, and everyone is high fiving likes it's a wonderful thing.
What does this even mean? Horcoff signed a 6 year deal while Hemsky signed a 2 year deal. Also, Hemsky has always been a productive player when healthy and is really hitting his stride over the last 10 games or so. I don't see the parallel to Horcoff's contract at all.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:02 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
how so? i dont understand
Yeah, interesting was probably the wrong word.

I like ODH's "bizarre" better.

Old
Eddy Oiler*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
While it's a severe overpayment for a medicore, one dimensional offensive player with major injury problems and an inability to learn how to play a team game, it's still no where near as bad as the Horcoff contract. There are just few contracts in NHL that will ever compare to the 6 year commitment(with a NMC) to plug like Horcoff.

BINGO! and maybe it's more of the fact the Edmonton Oilers have to overpay average players (IE Horcoff, Whitney, Gilbert, now Hemsky) just to play in a crappy city.

Old
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcanuck View Post
Hey Nucks fan here lurking your boards...

Is this a 'hometown' discount?? yikes
Yes is it, he would have EASILY got the same dollars, or more, on the OPEN market for 4 to 6 years.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
BINGO! and maybe it's more of the fact the Edmonton Oilers have to overpay average players (IE Horcoff, Whitney, Gilbert, now Hemsky) just to play in a crappy city.
My favourite signing was Whitney, remember that one? Because I sure don't.

And you have Gilbert on the list, are you even watching the team anymore?

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yeah, interesting was probably the wrong word.

I like ODH's "bizarre" better.
Sorry for being unclear.
How could this signing affect CBA in the slgihtest?

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Eddy Oiler*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
It's only for 2 years though so it's not like the contract will prevent the Oilers from re-signing their stars or prevent them from bringing in other players plus i don't believe that there is a NTC (correct me if i'm wrong) so they can move him next season or the season after if need be.
He likes playing here and gave up his unrestricted free agency to sign short term, i think that's big for a market like Edmonton.

Who would you have replaced Hemsky with if he was dealt? I asked this to a couple of other posters that wanted him traded and got no sensible answer.
Im not an NHL GM but look around at who's making $5 million a year and there's probably 100 better players than an injury prone, one dimensional, second line player who has been whining lately that he is no longer the go to guy and is a second line player.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

I just won $ 1652.52 on sport select what a great day

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Ranfordrocks

now resign smyth 3 years 10 million

year 1 5 million
year 2 3 million
year 3 2 million

Ranfordrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranfordrocks View Post
now resign smyth 3 years 10 million

year 1 5 million
year 2 3 million
year 3 2 million
1 year deal or nothing.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CupofOil

Quote:
Im not an NHL GM but look around at who's making $5 million a year and there's probably 100 better players than an injury prone, one dimensional, second line player who has been whining lately that he is no longer the go to guy and is a second line player.
Ok, so you have no solution for the 2nd line RW replacement. Gotcha!!!
If Hemsky was whining so much about his role then why did he re-sign short term here when he could have gotten a more lucrative long term deal on the open market?

Old
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
Sorry for being unclear.
How could this signing affect CBA in the slgihtest?
I'm not really sure.

He's either implying that the Oilers severely overpaid or that they got a huge bargain, but I'm not sure which.

Old
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
What does this even mean? Horcoff signed a 6 year deal while Hemsky signed a 2 year deal. Also, Hemsky has always been a productive player when healthy and is really hitting his stride over the last 10 games or so. I don't see the parallel to Horcoff's contract at all.
You must not have been here when Horcoff signed the contract, it was mass jubliation. "Home town discount!", "He really likes edmonton!", and "we finally can keep our stars!".

I already said the contracts don't compare, but the response is certainly about the same considering Hemsky has as many red flags surrounding him as Horcoff did at the time.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Eddy Oiler*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
My favourite signing was Whitney, remember that one? Because I sure don't.

And you have Gilbert on the list, are you even watching the team anymore?
point is this is just another overpayment to keep or get a player to play in an undesirable market. This team is screwed. Almost like being down 2-0 every night at the national anthem. Always an uphill battle. And sorry but $5 million is a big cap hit. Hometown discount??? Not a chance. More like overpay by $2 million to keep him NO DISCOUNT

Oh forgot another one..Smytty makes what? $6,5? So now we have Horcoff, Hemsky, and Smyth making close to $20 million.