HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Hemsky signs 2 year, $10million ($5million AAV)

Old
02-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Billy Barou

vCash: 500
Wow. Great signing. I thought Hemmer was gone for sure, with the dearth of top 6 UFA's he could have easily landed a 5x5 or greater. Thank you Hemmer!!! And thank you Tambo. Perhaps management of this team isn't as bad as HFOil thinks? =P

Billy Barou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:13 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Its cuz he wants to play with Hall (and Horcoff - but mostly Hall lol)

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Soundwave

The trolls are out, but it is a bit of a risk for the Oilers.

Hemsky better produce at a higher PPG next season than this year and he better play at least 50-60 games next year.

Yes, I am glad he took less term. But he also is getting a pay raise for an overall mediocre season. So I hope Ales takes it upon himself to bring his game up a notch. I like what I've seen the last 15 games or so, but I need to see more of it.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Asher

The thought just hit me: he still makes less than Horcoff!

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Lowball
Re-rebuilding...

Wow! What a great deal! Kudos to Tambo for getting it done. Thank you Hemmer for loving the Oilers as much as us fans.

So happy!

Lowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:15 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

Hemsky better produce at a higher PPG next season than this year and he better play at least 50-60 games next year.

Yes, I am glad he took less term. But he also is getting a pay raise for an overall mediocre season. So I hope Ales takes it upon himself to bring his game up a notch. I like what I've seen the last 15 games or so, but I need to see more of it.
yeah, but who really cares it he doesn't produce more? (other than the team not doing as well because of it of course) .... the cap hit is not a problem in any way, even if it was 7 million/year

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessikaLovejoy View Post
hopefully hemsky gets a huge cheer from the fans tomorrow when he first touches the puck
No doubt about it. That will occur. Might be a standing O at some point just to applaud his longer and continuing service to the team and with fans also being in a good mood and buoyed with the team right at the moment.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
metallicat
@metallicat51

Twitter from S Horcov, K for the Oilers:

"So ****ing* drinking Komrades whoooooo! #myfriendales #isstaying"

I love that twitter account.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLocus View Post
Happily surprised to see such positivity around this deal here.
Fleeting at best.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Perfect_Drug

I was in the 'trade Hemsky' camp, because I thought he wanted a 5-year deal.

I actually kinda like the terms and length. Hope he proves us how much he's REALLY worth on his next contract.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:17 PM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

Hope this opens the floodgates for his production. He's played well the last couple weeks, maybe he can pot a few now.

ToeDrag83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:

He better. His play is down right pathetic at times.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:18 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

This is best case scenario for the Oilers, great signing!

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DousedInOil

Man, Gregor totally called it. Love the term and who cares about the cap hit.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
yeah, but who really cares it he doesn't produce more? (other than the team not doing as well because of it of course) .... the cap hit is not a problem in any way, even if it was 7 million/year
It makes me worry a little about what Eberle or Hall's agents may ask for once their deals are up though if they're both outperforming Hemsky (and lol, of course Horcoff) by large margins.

Of course there are term issues, but ugh. I hope they are willing to both accept Tavares-like deals.

I almost can't believe how bad the Horcoff deal is sometimes. I have to look at Gomez' contract to cheer up.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Man, Gregor totally called it. Love the term and who cares about the cap hit.
Gregor called it and Spec looks like a jackass shouting from the rooftops that there was NO CHANCE. Gregor managed to eventually talk him up to "25% chance". Gregor FTW!

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
It makes me worry a little about what Eberle or Hall's agents may ask for once their deals are up though if they're both outperforming Hemsky (and lol, of course Horcoff) by large margins.

Of course there are term issues, but ugh. I hope they are willing to both accept Tavares-like deals.

I almost can't believe how bad the Horcoff deal is sometimes. I have to look at Gomez' contract to cheer up.
ELC->RFA->UFA

Is it really fair to compare? Most players acknowledge and agents comprehend that UFA is the time to score the bigger contract and that your time will come.

Pretty sure the young guys will still be OK on a Ferrari and Champage budget. Probably even money left to feed the dogs.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:24 PM
oilers99

I think it is a good signing mainly because of term. Smyth will be taking a paycut so the net dollars probably even out over the next couple of years. If Hemsky is doing alright next year and we need to fill a need (i.e. defenseman/goalie), we could offer him up at the trade deadline next year and won't have the "UFA rental" stigma attached to him. If it really goes sideways, we could also bury him in the minors (I don't believe that it will happen) and eat his short, albeit large, contract (we did it with Souray)...still better than what the Rangers have with Redden...

oilers99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:25 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Gregor called it and Spec looks like a jackass shouting from the rooftops that there was NO CHANCE. Gregor managed to eventually talk him up to "25% chance". Gregor FTW!
Hahaha its so true. I think it was Rishaug who also doubted him saying "I'm not questioning your sources but their is no chance he signs for 2 years."

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Rawg
CEM

I can for sure deal with this, Good money for him at good years for us made it fair, We know some GM would have made a ridiculous offer like connoly or traded for meh draft picks/meh prospect because his values low. Its a win for us and for him,

Feels good when players want to play here especially when that player sacrifices 3 or 4 years to do it

Rawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wheatking

It just feels good to finally see a pending UFA decide to re-sign here. There has been a lot of talk about Hemsky not wanting to be here. I contributed to it. That's obviously not the case. He passed up 2 years of UFA eligibility to sign long term 6 years ago and today he sacrificed the long term security he definitely would have got on the open market to stay here.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
tv14

vCash: 50
Great signing. Love the guy. Glad its done and finalized!

tv14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelusionOIL View Post
Listening to Tambo speak I find it interesting that Tambo said "I know our players will be very happy, and maybe that's the most important thing". Personally I think the dressing room made it known that they wanted Ales signed... I think for once the Oiler's really are a "team"... I know that's one of the MAJOR changes Ive noticed this season.
This is a good story in many different ways.

It shows a player who is willing to give up security and term to show loyalty to his team, team mates and his adopted city.

It shows team mates who are loyal to a player who they obviously hold in high regard and went to the player, management and the press to offer their support for a deal.

It shows a team showing loyalty to a long serving player who was brought up through the organization. This is an especially important detail that can't be stated enough.

This type of action will do nothing but good when the team approaches others coming up for new contracts and even possible incoming free agents.

Make no mistake this is more than a hockey move. Even if management didn't mean it to be (and by the looks of things they just lucked into it) this is dazzlingly good PR.

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:30 PM
oilers99

When the Nucks started winning and the team bought in to what Gillis/Coach V was feeding them, they saw the light and many of them took hometown discounts...the team just needs to start heading up the standings (starting now) and if there is a winning culture and it's time to sign the Halls, Eberles and RHNs of the world, it won't be as big of a stretch to get them to sign for a little bit less...it will still be difficult but better than trying to envision it as a 29th place team...

oilers99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:30 PM
clayton magnet
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 70
Hey Stratedge! I am calling you out. You mocked me after I questioned your 'fact' that Hemsky would never re-sign with the Oilers because he is a selfish hockey player unlike Whitney. Apparently you cannot predict the future like you thought! And I am Mr. Perceptive for thinking Hemmer would re-sign. *****.

clayton magnet is offline   Reply With Quote