HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[MIN/NJD] Zidlicky for Foster, Veilleux, Palmieri, WSH 2012 2nd, Con. NJD 2013 3rd

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2012, 01:32 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
Well...that would then move the Bruins into...seventh...how exactly are you seeing us playing them in the first round cause I think I just confused myself...
This.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
we drafted a goalie?

vCash: 369
there's no reason the bruins can't finish 4th and us 5th or vice versa. stop looking at snapshots of today and switching teams. the standings are dynamic and fluid. positions will change right up to the final day of the season

Q: How do you think the unthinkable?
A: With an itheberg.
Old
03-09-2012, 01:35 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

It wouldn't be completely crazy if it turned out that the Bruins and Devils had the 4th & 5th seeds. This season has some bizarre possibilities.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
we drafted a goalie?

hell winnipeg could finish 3rd easily on their current 10 game trend and push Florida and Washington out of the playoffs completely with Buffalo replacing the 8th spot.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSeven View Post
I especially like the way Zids was able to look off that power play pass and blindly put it right in Kovy's wheelhouse.

Definitely some chemistry brewing there.
I like that they practiced that exact play, and then put it to use in the next game. If Zid can consistently set Kovy up for that look, our PP will be so much more dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Given the choice, I'd have to take Florida just for the poetic justice and knowing the team would rally hard for Pete to win that series.
I think we'd probably beat Florida in a series, but it wouldn't be easy by any means. We'd have to shut down their big line, and solve their goalies, and we haven't done either of those things in the games against them this season.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
we drafted a goalie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post

I think we'd probably beat Florida in a series, but it wouldn't be easy by any means. We'd have to shut down their big line, and solve their goalies, and we haven't done either of those things in the games against them this season.
Florida is floundering now though...

Old
03-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Florida is floundering now though...
If that's still the case in a month, great. If not, it's irrelevant. Same reason I want Kovy (and several other Devils) entering the playoffs on a hot streak.

Old
03-09-2012, 10:36 PM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:
He's played one BAD game, several decent games and now a Great game.

At no point has his average been anything less than far better than Foster. Either a few folks are only looking at the scoresheet, or they are fixated on only watching the puck during a play and ignore how plays develop. He keeps the puck in the offensive zone better than any other Dman and moves the puck to create passing lines as well as any other and then makes the accurate and crisp passes once that lane is open.

Foster had ONE phenomenal game scoring 2 goals thanks to 5 on 3 powerplay. He was a total failure at 5 on 5 hockey and COST this team wins. I have yet to see anything remotely close to Zidlicky costing this team a WIN. His worst play thus far was not stopping a bouncing puck tossed back to him on the extra attacker and that going into the empty net. Far cry from Foster's nightmare plays corkscrewing himself into the ice as he turned to find the puck and his check if he wasn't busy turning the puck over unforced behind our own net or in the corner attempting a basic stop and start.

If there isn't a vast difference in the quality of play between these two players already I don't know that there ever will be. Stop looking at the price on the menu and start enjoying the meal. Dinner has been served and Lou's paying the tab.
So wise, so true.

Old
03-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryGigantic View Post
So wise, so true.
Boo-urns.

Old
03-10-2012, 11:28 AM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
i like how rg got all smarterer once he became a mod. you go girl!

Old
03-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Yes, I will depart, lest your bad grammar rub off on me.

Old
03-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
we drafted a goalie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by åboriginal View Post
i like how rg got all smarterer once he became a mod. you go girl!

Old
03-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

People also need to realize his quick passes and movement is going to be huge against high forechecking teams.

Old
03-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

His work on the breakout is better than the Minnesota fans said it would be. I don't know if we run a breakout strategy that is more conducive to his skills, or what, but I'm pleasantly surprised at his ability to beat the forecheck and start the breakout.

Old
03-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
His work on the breakout is better than the Minnesota fans said it would be. I don't know if we run a breakout strategy that is more conducive to his skills, or what, but I'm pleasantly surprised at his ability to beat the forecheck and start the breakout.
Well Yeo did not like his offensive game.

Maybe he wouldnt let Zid skate up the ice, and join the rush

Old
03-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Devils Nick30

I believe it was Zidlicky that pretty much had a partial breakaway against the Isles, I wish he had just shot. He forced the pass and nothing came of it.

He still had a great game though.

Old
03-10-2012, 03:42 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
What I never understood out of certain coaches is the need to "force" certain players to change their entire game in order for them to fit a specific system. There's a difference between adjusting your play in order to become a team player (IK jumps to mind right away) and adjusting your play that cancels everything that led you to become a NHL player for the past decade+.

Zidlicky is a offensive minded d-men with average defensive skills. If you take away his offensive presence, you have a brutal d-men who won't bring anything of significance to the table. It's like saying to Volchenkov to stop throwing hits and concentrate on skating the puck up the ice when ever he has it.

I always thought that the best coaches I played for were able to bring out the best qualities out of his players and knowing a players strong suit is something every coach should know and utilise the best way he can.

With that said, I'm pretty happy that Yeo didn't see anything special in Zidlicky and we managed to give a ton of nothing for something we needed for the past 5+ years... a guy who has vision with the puck, can skate with it and has a hard shot from the point.

Old
03-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Nick30 View Post
I believe it was Zidlicky that pretty much had a partial breakaway against the Isles, I wish he had just shot. He forced the pass and nothing came of it.

He still had a great game though.
He was on the 2 on 1 with Kovalchuk, and Kovy didn't have the hatty yet. That's why he passed.

Old
03-10-2012, 03:43 PM
apice3*

Quote:
there's no reason the bruins can't finish 4th and us 5th or vice versa. stop looking at snapshots of today and switching teams. the standings are dynamic and fluid. positions will change right up to the final day of the season
I will eat glass if Ottawa passes Boston. Not gonna happen.

Old
03-10-2012, 03:47 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchbot 3000 View Post
People also need to realize his quick passes and movement is going to be huge against high forechecking teams.
Which is the type of team that has killed us the last few years. His breakout passing is going to be huge for us.

Old
03-10-2012, 03:55 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Getting pressed like we were fresh OJ is the MAJOR reason why we've been bounced in the 1st round all those years.

As "insignificant" as that move might be to the rest of the hockey world, it might be one of the biggest reasons why this team can actually think about getting past our 1st opponent.

Old
03-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Which is the type of team that has killed us the last few years. His breakout passing is going to be huge for us.
Same thing with Larsson's ability in the same department. We need them both consistently doing it.

Old
03-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Devils Nick30

Quote:
He was on the 2 on 1 with Kovalchuk, and Kovy didn't have the hatty yet. That's why he passed.
Yeah I know but I felt like the defenseman was practically just covering Kovalchuk and not Zidlicky at all. Would have been cool to see a goal by him

Not trying to nitpick, he had a great game.

Old
03-10-2012, 04:00 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Same thing with Larsson's ability in the same department. We need them both consistently doing it.
The opposition will cue on Larsson, I'm certain of that. He'll get runned at every chance they get and they'll finish every single one of their checks on our rookie d-men. If I had it my way, he'd be playing on our 3rd pairing with Sal. I don't want to rely on Larsson all that much in the post season. Not saying I don't want him to be a factor on our blueline but I wouldn't be all that comfortable giving him top minutes.

Old
03-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Nick30 View Post
Yeah I know but I felt like the defenseman was practically just covering Kovalchuk and not Zidlicky at all. Would have been cool to see a goal by him
I think so too, but passing to try to get Kovy the hat trick makes him seem like a better teammate to me, and I'm sure it got him credit in the room. Might be more important for team chemistry in the long run than another goal piled on in a blowout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
The opposition will cue on Larsson, I'm certain of that. He'll get runned at every chance they get and will finish every single one of their checks on our rookie d-men. If I had it my way, he'd be playing on our 3rd pairing with Sal instead of asking too much out of a 19 year old kid.
He'll definitely get tested. Another baptism by fire for the kid. I agree with you, Sal is a good partner for him.

Closed Thread