HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Esche: "They're being led by a mad man."

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2004, 10:26 PM
quat
winsome, loathsome

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ
But it is fun being rediculously side tracked and so I'll continue.

Since team owners are only interested in the collective health of the NHL. In order that each team be able to survive what they might want to consider is to incorporate. I'm not well versed in incorporation terminology so cut me some slack.
The corporation would be the NHL Inc. Each owner would give up their team and accept shares in lieu based on valuations. Anaheim since it values the organization as O on it's books would be the team you could start with and alot them 1 share. I'm sure Levitt could come up with a fair valuation for shares. Then instead of working against each other the owner's would have incentive to work together. They could offer it on the open market and we could all buy shares through our ethical pension funds.

The scope of this idea is a bit bigger than I have energy to think thru right now but I think it may have merit :lol

Continuing along the yacht guy's idea to keep things as equal as possible- you could only have two players over 6'4. Every team would have to have a player under 5'8". One would have to be a D in either category. 1/3 of players must be under the age of 25, the next third 25-31 and the balance 32 +. Preference would be given to a player able to speak another language besides english. Bonus points for... You get my point? Nuts No response required.

heh you're kind of scary.

When someone uses a metaphor, why not try and see how it fits? Hey!!! Duh boat is on waater and duh skater guy is on ice. It's soooo different, he's ssooo stupid!!

The analogy goes like this: Setting limits to keep a field of competitors equal has proven interest for participants and fans. Setting a limit to the amount a team may spend on it's roster evens a league where there is disparity in market size and value.

I suppose just keeping things simple might be easier for posters ... but it get's a bit tired after a while.

Gee... you thought up weird revenue sharing on your own... wow.

Old
11-08-2004, 02:09 AM
PecaFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Benjamin
And you don't think broadcast revenues hit $30 million?
No, I still don't. First of all, it's 2 million Canadian from the CBC deal, not US. Second, you don't get to toss in radio money into a "tv thread". Sportsnet is on a five year deal, and I don't belive they're paying any more this year than last year, just because their viewership went up. I haven't seen any sort of news reports that that's how they deal works. Extra PPV added a couple million tops, and the new US deal has pretty much taken all those gains away.

When you threw out the $30 million figure, I challenged it because I thought you were talking US funds. Pretty much all figures tossed around here are US.

Old
11-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Tom_Benjamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
No, I still don't. First of all, it's 2 million Canadian from the CBC deal, not US. Second, you don't get to toss in radio money into a "tv thread".
The CBC-TSN TV contract is $80 million Canadian.

Quote:
Sportsnet is on a five year deal, and I don't belive they're paying any more this year than last year, just because their viewership went up. I haven't seen any sort of news reports that that's how they deal works. Extra PPV added a couple million tops, and the new US deal has pretty much taken all those gains away.
The new US TV contract starts this year, not last year. Just because you haven't heard of it, makes it untrue? That's a laugh.

Quote:
When you threw out the $30 million figure, I challenged it because I thought you were talking US funds. Pretty much all figures tossed around here are US.
I thought everybody in Canada knew Canadian teams took their revenues in Canadian dollars.

Tom

Old
11-08-2004, 04:01 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Benjamin
The new US TV contract starts this year, not last year. Just because you haven't heard of it, makes it untrue? That's a laugh.
I know the new deal starts this year, that's why I called it "new". You get to point out increases in revenue, I get to point out drops. They were approaching $30 million canadian, and now they're much less again.

No, just because I've not heard of something doesn't make it untrue, but similarly, just claiming something doesn't make it true. You claim the Sportsnet deal pays them more now, yet every published article about it says they pay $10-$12 million. The onus is on the person making the claim to back it up.

Quote:
I thought everybody in Canada knew Canadian teams took their revenues in Canadian dollars.
Yet you reported the Canadian deal in US funds above.

Closed Thread