HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

#62 | SABRES at RANGERS | SAT FEB 25 | 07:00PM ET

Old
02-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
#62 | SABRES at RANGERS | SAT FEB 25 | 07:00PM ET

GDT#62: SABRES (27-27-7) at RANGERS (38-15-6) – SAT FEB 25 – 07:00PM ET – MSG-B, MSG (Full Story)

(AP) – The last time the New York Rangers and the Buffalo Sabres met, Henrik Lundqvist outlasted Ryan Miller in a
dazzling display of goaltending.

The All-Star netminders will likely be starting opposite each other again Saturday night when the Rangers try to beat
the Sabres for the third time this season in their first matchup at Madison Square Garden.

New York (38-15-6) edged Buffalo 1-0 in a shootout Feb. 1, with Ryan Callahan beating Miller on the final attempt of
the tiebreaker. That game will be remembered for the outstanding play of Lundqvist and Miller, who had 34 and 29
saves, respectively, before combining for six more stops in the shootout.

"It was fun to be a part of," Miller said following that meeting. "To go up against Lundqvist, who's having a great
season, and have a night like this, where it kind of puts us in the spotlight at each end, it's nice to be a part of."

Miller's praise of Lundqvist is for good reason. He's enjoying the best season of his career, leading the league with
seven shutouts and ranking second with a 1.78 goals-against average while helping the Rangers to the top spot in the
Eastern Conference.
FIVE-POINT GAP IN RACE MORE THAN A STRETCH (Full Story)

(Buffalo News) – What's five points?

Five points was the difference between 11th place and eighth place in the Eastern Conference after the Sabres' 2-1
shootout win over the Bruins on Friday night in First Niagara Center. Do the math, and it's a few more victories for
Buffalo and a few more losses for the teams ahead of them over 61 games.

Five points didn't look like much with the NHL roaring into Turn Four and heading toward the finish line of the regular
season. Anaheim had a miserable start but made up 16 points during a 23-game span in the Western Conference. The
Sabres have made up five points and four conference spots over the past week, so another five over their final 21
games and a spot in the playoffs appears well within their grasp.

It's nothing until you take a closer look and examine what needs to happen for them to wiggle through heavy traffic and
come away without a dent while the others take turns crashing into the wall. And that's when the five-point deficit in the
standings starts looking like much more.

Forget about fans being optimistic vs. media being pessimistic and let's instead be realistic with a quarter of the season
remaining. Standing before the Sabres now is a much taller order than the challenge they treated like a speed bump a
year ago.
RANGERS COULD PUT AVERY ON WAIVERS SO HE CAN PLAY IN NHL (Full Story)

(NY Post) – The Rangers are discussing the possibility of placing Sean Avery on re-entry waivers at noon Saturday, the
deadline for doing so, in order for the exiled winger to play again in the NHL this season, The Post has learned.

According to NHL By-laws 12 and 28, players claimed on re-entry following the trade deadline are not eligible to play in
either the remainder of the regular season or in the playoffs.

With the NHL trade deadline Monday at 3 p.m., and the weekend waiver period lasting for 48 hours, the Rangers would
thus have to make their decision regarding Avery no later than Saturday morning so he would be eligible for claim by
noon Monday.

If Avery is claimed on re-entry, the Rangers would be hit with a $209,460 salary cap charge for the remainder of the
season. If Avery were to go unclaimed, the Rangers would simply put him back on waivers and re-assign him to the
AHL Whale after he clears.

The Rangers have approximately $6.63 million in cap space available that would project to just under $6.96 million for
Monday’s deadline, barring any roster moves.

The Rangers are attempting to move Wojtek Wolski, who has played three games since coming off injured reserve on
Jan. 6. Doing so (perhaps even through waivers if there are no deadline takers for the winger with the $3.8 million full-
season cap charge) would free an additional $860,000 of space.

BUFFALO SABRES

Lineup News & Notes (News)

Marc-Andre Gragnani was a healthy scratch in Buffalo's last game, a 2-1 shootout win over Boston on Friday. Brad
Boyes (upper body), Cody McCormick (upper body) and Jochen Hecht (concussion) were out Friday with injuries.
McCormick remains day-to-day with his injury. Boyes is close but remains out Saturday against the Rangers. Migraines
forced Patrick Kaleta to leave Friday's game briefly. Buffalo started Ryan Miller in goal Friday versus the Bruins, and will
start him again Saturday against the Rangers.

Weekly Transactions

Buffalo recalled Corey Tropp from AHL/Rochester Friday to cover for the injured Brad Boyes.

According to the Stats

Buffalo are: 23-3-2 when allowing two or fewer goals; 20-4-3 when scoring three or more; 17-4-4 when Derek Roy
records a point; 14-4-1 when Christian Ehrhoff records a point; and in his career, 33-9-6 when Tyler Ennis records a
point (6-1-2 this season).

Ryan Miller has allowed one goal or none in six of his last 13 games while going 8-2-2.

NEW YORK RANGERS

Lineup News & Notes (News)

Steve Eminger, Wojtek Wolski, and Jeff Woywitka were scratched in New York's last game, a 4-3 shootout loss to the
Islanders on Friday. Michael Sauer (concussion) remains sidelined with an injury. Last night on Long Island, New York
started backup Martin Biron in goal, so Henrik Lundqvist will get the start Saturday at Madison Square Garden.

Weekly Transactions

Earlier today, New York traded Wojtek Wolski to the Florida Panthers in return for defenceman Michael Vernace and a
third-round draft pick in 2013.

According to the Stats

New York are: 14-1-2 when leading after the first period, 24-0-2 after the second; and 7-1-1 (5-0-0 at home, 2-1-1 on
the road) in the second game of back-to-backs.

Henrik Lundqvist is 8-2-0 with a 1.29 GAA, 0.953 SV% and three shutouts in his last 10 games.

BUFFALO SABRES

1. The Official Trade Proposal Thread part IV (ALL TRADE PROPOSALS HERE) <1750 views>

2. The Official "WE WANT DRAFT POSITION!" Thread <1500 views>

3. Corey Tropp (2/24/12) <1250 views>

NEW YORK RANGERS (Forum)

1. Chris Botta on Chris Kreider <9500 views>

2. Trade Proposal Thread 10.0: "What Can Brown Do For You?" <5250 views>

3. Rangers talking contract with Marty Biron <1750 views>

A/V CLUB

02/24: John Tortorella talks to the media following New York's shootout loss to the Islanders. <2:50>

02/24: Marc Staal, Ryan Callahan and Martin Biron talk to the media following New York's shootout loss. <3:20>

02/24: Lindy Ruff speaks to the media following Buffalo's shootout win over the Bruins. <2:13>

02/24: Ryan Miller speaks to the media following Buffalo's shootout win. <3:44>

02/24: Andrej Sekera speaks to the media following Buffalo's shootout win. <3:13>

02/24: Derek Roy speaks to the media following Buffalo's shootout win. <2:13>

02/25: Lindy Ruff talks to the media before tonight's game. <4:41>

GAMEDAY CHAT

IRC Server: irc.esper.net ... Channel: #sabres ... If you have questions: FYI - Sabres Chat

GAMEDAY STREAMS

GameCenter Live (subscription required); FirstRowSports and Wiziwig (use discretion)

Last edited by Woodhouse: 02-25-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:21 PM
barcs

Woodhouse for president of the hockey related internet.

4-2 Rags.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:31 PM
LGB24

not liken our chances. If we find a win i think the post season isn't out of the question

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:33 PM
fing0rz

If they win I'm full on playoffs push.

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:49 PM
TheyAreGoodScaryGood

How are these guys 5-0-0 at home in the second game of back to backs. That's very impressive. I doubt we break the perfect record unless miller performs another miracle on ice

TheyAreGoodScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 12:05 AM
VaporTrail
GOODBYE D'arse !!!

vCash: 200

Last edited by VaporTrail: 02-25-2012 at 12:05 AM. Reason: wrong thread
VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 12:12 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Well I was wayyyy off about the Boston game

So I'll go the other way

5-2 Sabres

Myers, Roy, or Kaleta with a goal

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:43 AM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300

**** the standings.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:19 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Marty got the start last night vs the Isles, so I'm expecting Lundy in goal tonight for the Rags.

They'll need Miller to have a golden helmet worthy performance tonight if they want to get 2 points.....

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:41 AM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Expected to get killed last night and expect much the same tonight.

If they prove me wrong and we win we are what... routing to Carolina (BARF) to win and Washington/Toronto to finish in regulation (no 3 point game please). Even though we'd still be 4 points out we wouldn't lose any ground either if that happens if I'm looking at it right.

Are there any better scenarios if we somehow manage a win?

Mike McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:46 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post
Expected to get killed last night and expect much the same tonight.

If they prove me wrong and we win we are what... routing to Carolina (BARF) to win and Washington/Toronto to finish in regulation (no 3 point game please). Even though we'd still be 4 points out we wouldn't lose any ground either if that happens if I'm looking at it right.

Are there any better scenarios if we somehow manage a win?
First, we need to root for the Blues to beat the Jets as they are really the 8th place team right now.

Also want the Pens to beat the 'Ning.

Then you want Florida to lose in regulation to Carolina and the Caps-Leafs game to not get to OT.

Those are the 4 other games to scoreboard watch tonight.

Old
02-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
First, we need to root for the Blues to beat the Jets as they are really the 8th place team right now.

Then you want Florida to lose in regulation to Carolina and the Caps-Leafs game to not get to OT.

How are the Jets the 8th place team right now? Honestly wouldn't we want the Panthers/Capitals to lose in regulation and the Jets to win? That way they increase their division lead and keeps Florida/Washington close to us.

Old
02-25-2012, 08:02 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post

**** the standings.
We are... the forty-six point six six six percent!

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:06 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
How are the Jets the 8th place team right now? Honestly wouldn't we want the Panthers/Capitals to lose in regulation and the Jets to win? That way they increase their division lead and keeps Florida/Washington close to us.
The Jets have a worse record than the Panthers.

They are a point ahead of the Panthers, but Florida has played 4 fewer games.

So, while the Jets are currently ahead of Florida in the standings today, it's just because they've played more games and the Jets are really the team that the 9th and lower teams are chasing.

For instance, after 59 games played, Winnipeg had 60 pts and Florida is at 66 pts with 59 games played.

Old
02-25-2012, 08:22 AM
puckish66

Who's really in 8th?

Reminds me of the epic struggle between Schopp and the Darce Dog last night to define what .500 is.

I loves me some Krelboyne-on-Krelboyne violence.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:27 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
By any normal statistical measure the Panthers are ahead of the Jets. They are one back with four in hand. What position would you rather be in? When the NHL seasons ends with one team playing four less games those standings will mean something. Frankly Washington is ahead too because they are two back with two in hand and present pace is more than a point a game. They should use % like baseball.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:38 AM
WeWillWinTonight

Cool gdt really like the jerseys for te line ups. One of my buddies from college is a huge Sabres fan and well both be at the garden tn trying to come out on top. Good luck all

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:49 AM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

I get what you guys are saying about playing fewer games but you can't count on points not earned. I fully get and understand that Florida/Washington have a better point percentage right now but until they WIN and EARN those points... nothing can be counted on. Especially when you consider Florida and Washington are both under .500 in their last 10.

Who is to say they are going to win those games in hand?

Old
02-25-2012, 11:15 AM
fing0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post

I'd say we want the Leafs to win. Sabres have 2 games against them and control their destiny more vs. 1 game against the caps.

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Squantosawuss

Ya gotta love all the guessing and calculating and what-if-this and what-if-that discussions.

All for the sake of extending the season by 5 or so games.

Outside of the top 7, the rest are GARBAGE, all fighting for the right to have a few extra games in April.

Hey DARCY, you better not be caught up in this!

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:34 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
I get what you guys are saying about playing fewer games but you can't count on points not earned. I fully get and understand that Florida/Washington have a better point percentage right now but until they WIN and EARN those points... nothing can be counted on. Especially when you consider Florida and Washington are both under .500 in their last 10.

Who is to say they are going to win those games in hand?
To assume that Florida goes 0-4-0 is a far bigger stretch than anything. I prefer to look at it like Darcy, in terms of games over/under .500. Winnipeg and Washington are 4 over, we're even. Florida is 7 over. Regardless, we just want to win and hope the rest takes care of itself.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Dabs21Nike

3-1 Buffalo win

Dabs21Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 12:30 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fing0rz View Post
I'd say we want the Leafs to win. Sabres have 2 games against them and control their destiny more vs. 1 game against the caps.
**puke**

I cannot root for both the Hurricanes and the Leafs in the same night. That's just...wrong. On so many levels.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 12:39 PM
LGB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
**puke**

I cannot root for both the Hurricanes and the Leafs in the same night. That's just...wrong. On so many levels.
thinking the same thing over here

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
This is going to be a tough one. Did the rangers play last night, too? I hope so, because they're a hard working team. They need tired legs if we want a chance.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote