HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Game #63| Bruins vs Senators| February 25th @ 7:00PM | CBC

Old
02-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberboy682 View Post
Thank you.

I see no need to disrupt a winning line-up when said player has been out performing the player who is being put in. Toughness really is being over-rated on here, IMO.
Yes, but do you really think Carkner has been THAT bad?

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:41 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyManked View Post
Yes, but do you really think Carkner has been THAT bad?
He's better than how he has been playing this season, or at least has the ability to. But he really has been arguably the worst D-man on our side whenever he's played. I don't believe this is a situation of my opinion on Carkner, but rather my opinion of how Brian Lee has been playing.

You know that I have always defended Brian Lee, and he's been very steady and solid on the back end this season and I would feel a lot more comfortable with him on the back end than Carkner. I understand the argument surrounding "toughness" and it's necessity in games against teams like the Bruins, but it isn't the be all and end all like some are claiming.

If Carkner can play positionally sound tonight, agitate and not take stupid penalties because of his poor skating in comparison to others, then great. But I find it unlikely.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:43 PM
starling

Unless Thomas pulls a Thomas tonight it's an easy win.

starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Quote:
He's better than how he has been playing this season, or at least has the ability to. But he really has been arguably the worst D-man on our side whenever he's played. I don't believe this is a situation of my opinion on Carkner, but rather my opinion of how Brian Lee has been playing.

You know that I have always defended Brian Lee, and he's been very steady and solid on the back end this season and I would feel a lot more comfortable with him on the back end than Carkner. I understand the argument surrounding "toughness" and it's necessity in games against teams like the Bruins, but it isn't the be all and end all like some are claiming.

If Carkner can play positionally sound tonight, agitate and not take stupid penalties because of his poor skating in comparison to others, then great. But I find it unlikely.
I actually agree with.....MartyStraka??...toughness isn't really that important against the Bruins.

Old
02-25-2012, 01:53 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Dissapointing... A young player is building confidence, playing well, team is winning with him in the lineup... Lets scratch him!! That will do wonders for him... Lee is our most physical dman so lets scratch him for a pylon who cant skate or pass...

Solid strategy
Carkner can skate or pass just as well as Lee really. Lee has certainly played better and doesn't deserve this, but never go full retard.

It's a game against the Bruins, not even a surprise.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:55 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Quote:
I actually agree with.....MartyStraka??...toughness isn't really that important against the Bruins.
Let me take a wild guess. You live in Vancouver right?

Tundraman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:55 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Then your predictions are as bad as your player analysis. You just described Carkner in 0ver 95% of the games he's played.

Old
02-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
Let me take a wild guess. You live in Vancouver right?
By "toughness", I mean "fighters". Every team needs to play tough every game, but not neccessarily a bunch of fighters.

See what I mean?

Old
02-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Quote:
By "toughness", I mean "fighters". Every team needs to play tough every game, but not neccessarily a bunch of fighters.

See what I mean?
Unfortunately the Bruins have at least 3 players who force you to fight depending on how the game goes. They don't ask "would you like to" like our guys do they start throwing and you either fight or dive. Carkner can handle himself with anyone except Chara but Chara won't usually start trouble on his own. I don't think Lee deserves to be out and a better puck mover may be more useful but Stache decided he wants to keep the Bruins honest around the net so what can I say. You can't fault him for that.

Tundraman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:21 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
What I understand is that I'd prefer a player who can play positionally sound and be a part of an 11-0-1 team when playing rather than one who is sought after for just toughness.
You literally just described Carkner's game, just as well as Lee's.

So perfect/typical hf, the land of 5 game memories.

Old
02-25-2012, 02:23 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
You literally just described Carkner's game, just as well as Lee's.

So perfect/typical hf, the land of 5 game memories.
Except the whole Carkner NOT being positionally sound as of late and being beat more than he should be.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:29 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
LMAO at all of you thinking you're better at taking decisions than Maclean.

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:36 PM
PKC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
LMAO at all of you thinking you're better at taking decisions than Maclean.
The Sens forum has been populated by former, current and future Jack Adams winners since its' inception.

PKC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Lee is a lot better than Carkner, but perhaps McLean is inserting him because of the "toughness" factor? I don't really get it though.

I kinda like the Bruins, but I'm sick of all the cheap-shots by them. Hopefully, they play clean tonight. Expecting a 5-2 loss though.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:41 PM
DukeNukem

Lee's game is better as of late, but not good enough to pull him out of the number 6 spot. Carkner gets paid to play a role that Lee cannot do, therefore, Carkner get to earn his paycheck. Personally, I hope he pounds the living crap out of someone tonight.

DukeNukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:43 PM
topshelfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
Lee is a lot better than Carkner, but perhaps McLean is inserting him because of the "toughness" factor? I don't really get it though.

I kinda like the Bruins, but I'm sick of all the cheap-shots by them. Hopefully, they play clean tonight. Expecting a 5-2 loss though.
This. When we lost to the Bruins Nov 1st, much of the blame was on our lack of toughness, especilly on defence.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:43 PM
bacon25

I think Auld will play well, but it will be scoring on Thomas that worries me the most, beating the Bruins will get another monkey off the Sens back this season and there is no better time to do than tonight.

bacon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:44 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKC View Post
The Sens forum has been populated by former, current and future Jack Adams winners since its' inception.
I'm pretty sure that the Sens board has a rule where if you want to post here, you have to choose between:

1) calling coaches and GMs idiots for the decisions they make,
or
2) calling posters idiots for expressing their personal opinions.

You only get to choose from those two options, according to the board rules. It's a tough choice, I know. I wish there was a third option...

...do you really need me to add the sarcasm guy? Really?

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Homer SENSson

I can't believe some of the comments in this thread so far.

Maclean was interviewed earlier today and said 'when you play that kind of team you need a certain element of toughness on your team. Matt Carkner provides us with that toughness'.

As a Sens fan if Lucic takes a run at Spez, Turris, Alffy, or Karlsson I'd much rather have Carks dressed then Lee. The Bruins are a physical team and you need someone to keep them in check. Also, who else will drop the mittens with Lucic? In my opinion Carkner in the box for 5:00 minutes while Lucic in the box for 5:00 minutes is a win for us. We get a very good top line player out of the game for what a 3rd pairing dman.

Sounds good to me.

I still think we loose 4-1 tonight but I'm a pessimist.

Homer SENSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:09 PM
DukeNukem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
I'm pretty sure that the Sens board has a rule where if you want to post here, you have to choose between:

1) calling coaches and GMs idiots for the decisions they make,
or
2) calling posters idiots for expressing their personal opinions.

You only get to choose from those two options, according to the board rules. It's a tough choice, I know. I wish there was a third option...

...do you really need me to add the sarcasm guy? Really?
3) calling posters idiots for calling coaches idiots

DukeNukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:10 PM
SensFan1955

3 hours for puck drop !!!!!!! GO SENS GO, lets prove everybody wrong!!

SensFan1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Carrie Underwood

I sure am hoping to see Carkner kick the **** out of someone lol

Carrie Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:25 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
Unfortunately the Bruins have at least 3 players who force you to fight depending on how the game goes. They don't ask "would you like to" like our guys do they start throwing and you either fight or dive. Carkner can handle himself with anyone except Chara but Chara won't usually start trouble on his own. I don't think Lee deserves to be out and a better puck mover may be more useful but Stache decided he wants to keep the Bruins honest around the net so what can I say. You can't fault him for that.
Chara's fights don't last long enough for him to do any damage because he has terrible balance on his feet when it comes to fighting.

Unless you are dumb enough to stand in front of him and exchange blows without staying active and getting him turning.

I have seen Neil fight him and had Chara in a vulnerable spot as he was falling with Neil still holding his coral with a corked fist over him and let up. It was the game after Neil dummied Siedenberg their last game.

Chara is not a fighter unless he has to. He will kill you with his reach if you let him that is all. But if you jostle around with him and try to get your shots off he will fall down quickly.

Everyone should have the utmost respect for this dude however, a superstar that will standup for anyone oh his team.

I still remember the damage he did to Evanans when ratboi Begin and him took a run at Alfiy and ratboi ran away in the Moslon Center back in 05.

Last edited by 4thliner*: 02-25-2012 at 03:39 PM.
4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:27 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

I think Maclean has earned it so far to do whatever he wants without being questioned, so im for whatever Maclean is for.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:28 PM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

dis gun b gud

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote