HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League XLI

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2012, 12:15 AM
  #1
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 500
Around the League XLI

Oilers re-signing Hemsky to a 2yr $10M ($5M AAV) contract instead of trading him is baffling to say the least.

Outside99* is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 12:19 AM
  #2
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,839
vCash: 500
10 mil over the next two years for Hemsky is craziness, especially with Hall and Eberle in line for huge contracts after next season. I wonder what the **** Tambellini and Lowe are thinking.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 12:19 AM
  #3
BoHorvatFan
Registered User
 
BoHorvatFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Oilers re-signing Hemsky to a 2yr $10M ($5M AAV) contract instead of trading him is baffling to say the least.
Not really, his value is so low right now as a rental having an awful season they wouldn't get much for him. Then they'd have 5 million open and nobody to spend it on since free agents don't sign there.

The best situation for them is Hemsky bouncing back next year so they can trade him for a lot more than they'd get now.

BoHorvatFan is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 12:20 AM
  #4
metric
Registered User
 
metric's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
10 mil over the next two years for Hemsky is craziness, especially with Hall and Eberle in line for huge contracts after next season. I wonder what the **** Tambellini and Lowe are thinking.
They're not.

metric is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 12:23 AM
  #5
AvantiCanada*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,407
vCash: 500
How the heck did Hemsky get that deal?

Brutal deal for Edmonton.

AvantiCanada* is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 12:28 AM
  #6
Canucker
Go Hawks!
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 19,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Not really, his value is so low right now as a rental having an awful season they wouldn't get much for him. Then they'd have 5 million open and nobody to spend it on since free agents don't sign there.

The best situation for them is Hemsky bouncing back next year so they can trade him for a lot more than they'd get now.
They've been hoping for more from Hemsky for years now. Every year its the same thing from Oilers fans..."You watch, this year he's going to break out". Nope, still waiting. Anyone in their right mind believe he deserves more money than Shane Doan? Or Teemu Selanne? Or even Alex Tanguay? I sure don't. Very bad signing.

Canucker is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 12:30 AM
  #7
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 17,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinka Dene View Post
How the heck did Hemsky get that deal?

Brutal deal for Edmonton.
Because he's a 70-75 point per 80 game player - offensive production is what drives contracts...

The only concern with Hemsky is his durability. He's a risky guy to commit to but no riskier than relying on free agency to fill holes, especially for a horrible team in an even worse city.

The Oilers need to try and take steps forward. That will be much easier to do with Hemsky around. If he wasn't garnering significant interest, this move is a no-brainer IMO.

Drop the Sopel is online now  
Old
02-25-2012, 12:32 AM
  #8
BoHorvatFan
Registered User
 
BoHorvatFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
They've been hoping for more from Hemsky for years now. Every year its the same thing from Oilers fans..."You watch, this year he's going to break out". Nope, still waiting. Anyone in their right mind believe he deserves more money than Shane Doan? Or Teemu Selanne? Or even Alex Tanguay? I sure don't. Very bad signing.
With he's healthy his numbers are VERY good and totally worth 5 million. The problem is the injuries he has. This year is by far his worst and there's reason to think he can't bounce back and be a 70 point player next season.


The whole contract argument is a tough one because of the inflated UFA prices. A healthy and producing Hemsky is worth more than Booth but less than Kesler who is on a steal of a contract for what he brings, so really 5 mil isn't far off IMO.

BoHorvatFan is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 12:34 AM
  #9
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 17,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
They've been hoping for more from Hemsky for years now. Every year its the same thing from Oilers fans..."You watch, this year he's going to break out". Nope, still waiting. Anyone in their right mind believe he deserves more money than Shane Doan? Or Teemu Selanne? Or even Alex Tanguay? I sure don't. Very bad signing.
Hemsky has produced outstanding offense every year for the Oilers. He's been close to a PPG every year for 6 consecutive seasons before this one. Not sure why he needs to 'break out'? Nothing wrong with 70'ish points...

What's the alternative? Ben Eager and Cam Barker are considered big free agent signings in that market...

Drop the Sopel is online now  
Old
02-25-2012, 12:36 AM
  #10
VinnyC
trust in linden CREW
 
VinnyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 新香
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Hemsky has produced outstanding offense every year for the Oilers. He's been close to a PPG every year for 6 consecutive seasons before this one. Not sure why he needs to 'break out'? Nothing wrong with 70'ish points...

What's the alternative? Ben Eager and Cam Barker are considered big free agent signings in that market...
Some people haven't caught on the fact that with contract terms being longer than the usual and NMC/NTC being commonplace, there are less FA's on the market at any given moment, which makes teams want to rely less on FA and focus on the draft and keeping their players instead, which further contributes to the staleness of the market. So those who are still available on July 1st are most likely in for a big pay day.

VinnyC is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 12:41 AM
  #11
Canucker
Go Hawks!
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 19,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
With he's healthy his numbers are VERY good and totally worth 5 million. The problem is the injuries he has. This year is by far his worst and there's reason to think he can't bounce back and be a 70 point player next season.


The whole contract argument is a tough one because of the inflated UFA prices. A healthy and producing Hemsky is worth more than Booth but less than Kesler who is on a steal of a contract for what he brings, so really 5 mil isn't far off IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Hemsky has produced outstanding offense every year for the Oilers. He's been close to a PPG every year for 6 consecutive seasons before this one. Not sure why he needs to 'break out'? Nothing wrong with 70'ish points...

What's the alternative? Ben Eager and Cam Barker are considered big free agent signings in that market...
So...whats his excuse this season? Is this a season in which he's deserved a fat new contract? Was last season? Or the season before that? How much money per game are they going to end up paying him? He'll probably be one of the top paid players in the league if they go by that count. Any way you slice it, he's overpaid and didn't deserve that much money. Period.

Canucker is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 12:49 AM
  #12
BoHorvatFan
Registered User
 
BoHorvatFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
So...whats his excuse this season? Is this a season in which he's deserved a fat new contract? Was last season? Or the season before that? How much money per game are they going to end up paying him? He'll probably be one of the top paid players in the league if they go by that count. Any way you slice it, he's overpaid and didn't deserve that much money. Period.
He's having a terrible season no doubt about it.

But you have to look at it from the Oilers point of view. If they trade him for a 2nd rounder or let him walk as a UFA they're in worse shape than signing him for 5 million. Cap space means nothing to them since no decent free agent will sign there.

BoHorvatFan is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 12:51 AM
  #13
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
They've been hoping for more from Hemsky for years now. Every year its the same thing from Oilers fans..."You watch, this year he's going to break out". Nope, still waiting. Anyone in their right mind believe he deserves more money than Shane Doan? Or Teemu Selanne? Or even Alex Tanguay? I sure don't. Very bad signing.
He's not worth that contract but Hemsky has broke out... 42 pts last season in 47 games, that's not good production? or being a point a game the season before that and it keeps on going.... you need to watch other teams before talking about players like you know what your talking about. Hemsky has been a great player in the past and has already broken out, you need to catch up.

BLAME CANADA* is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 12:54 AM
  #14
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 17,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
So...whats his excuse this season? Is this a season in which he's deserved a fat new contract? Was last season? Or the season before that? How much money per game are they going to end up paying him? He'll probably be one of the top paid players in the league if they go by that count. Any way you slice it, he's overpaid and didn't deserve that much money. Period.
That's wrong. The only way you can say he's not worth that contract is for durability reasons. From a pure production and skill standpoint, Hemsky is absolutely worth $5mil. This guy flat out produces, on a poor team with a poor PP.

This season is the outlier production wise. I would put a lot more stock in him putting up 6 consecutive years of close to a PPG than think he'll be a 40 point player going forward. Tanguay had an outlier seaon as well with 37 points in 80 games - look where he's back to...

This is a no-brainer for Edmonton IMO. They aren't going to replace Hemsky in free agency and can't finish dead last every single year.

Drop the Sopel is online now  
Old
02-25-2012, 12:58 AM
  #15
OgoBoHo
FIRE BENNING
 
OgoBoHo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,062
vCash: 53


LOL, I was watching some Canucks videos from inside the dressing room last year, and stumbled upon this. This is hilarious.



(Didn't know where it should be posted, but thought some people could use a laugh)

OgoBoHo is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 01:01 AM
  #16
Canucker
Go Hawks!
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 19,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAME CANADA View Post
He's not worth that contract but Hemsky has broke out... 42 pts last season in 47 games, that's not good production? or being a point a game the season before that and it keeps on going.... you need to watch other teams before talking about players like you know what your talking about. Hemsky has been a great player in the past and has already broken out, you need to catch up.
Wow....a 42 point "breakout" season. I figured you might want to use his career year of 77 points as his breakout season. But I'll take your advice under consideration and try to sit through more Oilers games so I can have a deeper understanding of what a "breakout" season is. Thanks guy.


Canucker is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 01:04 AM
  #17
Canucker
Go Hawks!
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 19,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
That's wrong. The only way you can say he's not worth that contract is for durability reasons. From a pure production and skill standpoint, Hemsky is absolutely worth $5mil. This guy flat out produces, on a poor team with a poor PP.

This season is the outlier production wise. I would put a lot more stock in him putting up 6 consecutive years of close to a PPG than think he'll be a 40 point player going forward. Tanguay had an outlier seaon as well with 37 points in 80 games - look where he's back to...

This is a no-brainer for Edmonton IMO. They aren't going to replace Hemsky in free agency and can't finish dead last every single year.
Yes, for durability reasons he's not worth that much....in addition, this season is also a reason he's not worth $5m. Also, Tanguay makes $1.5m less than Hemsky...and doesn't have nearly the same durability issues.

Canucker is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 01:13 AM
  #18
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Wow....a 42 point "breakout" season. I figured you might want to use his career year of 77 points as his breakout season. But I'll take your advice under consideration and try to sit through more Oilers games so I can have a deeper understanding of what a "breakout" season is. Thanks guy.

I was using more recent seasons, cause I know if I used later ones you'd find a way to ***** about it. 42 points in 47 games is a 73 point pace... that's a pretty solid point production but I guess you'll have a comment on that too. You have no idea what you talk about, Hemsky is a proven player, he is the Salo version of a top 6 player. You saying Hemsky hasn't broken out yet is just so off and wrong and watching you trying to defend that topic is laughable. Good luck with it, I'm not getting into an argument with you cause it'll be a waste of time and pointless, go ahead and say and think Hemsky hasn't broken out yet. The only thing I agree with you on is that is contract sucks and overpaid but saying Hemsky hasn't had a breakout season yet is a joke.

BLAME CANADA* is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 01:23 AM
  #19
Canucker
Go Hawks!
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 19,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAME CANADA View Post
I was using more recent seasons, cause I know if I used later ones you'd find a way to ***** about it. 42 points in 47 games is a 73 point pace... that's a pretty solid point production but I guess you'll have a comment on that too. You have no idea what you talk about, Hemsky is a proven player, he is the Salo version of a top 6 player. You saying Hemsky hasn't broken out yet is just so off and wrong and watching you trying to defend that topic is laughable. Good luck with it, I'm not getting into an argument with you cause it'll be a waste of time and pointless, go ahead and say and think Hemsky hasn't broken out yet. The only thing I agree with you on is that is contract sucks and overpaid but saying Hemsky hasn't had a breakout season yet is a joke.
Perhaps I should clarify...I never said he hasn't broken out, I meant he hasn't broken out the way Oilers fans claim he's going to break out, year after year, and become an elite player in the league. I'm not saying Hemsky is a bad player, I like Hemsky, he's one of the only Oilers I like...but he's overpaid for his last 3 years of service to the team, and especially compared to other players around the league. I'm not sure how long you've been around here but for years Oilers fans have been saying how Hemsky was going to breakout and become an elite player in the league...predictions of 100 point seasons were thrown around...for years. Didn't happen, not going to happen. That is what I meant.

Canucker is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 01:25 AM
  #20
VanEric
Registered User
 
VanEric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,344
vCash: 500
The fact that Hemsky chose to stay in Edmonton tells you all you need to know about his priorities at this stage of his career.

VanEric is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 01:30 AM
  #21
Canucker
Go Hawks!
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 19,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
The fact that Hemsky chose to stay in Edmonton tells you all you need to know about his priorities at this stage of his career.
I wonder why he didn't ask for a NTC?

Canucker is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 01:34 AM
  #22
ahmon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 7,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
That's wrong. The only way you can say he's not worth that contract is for durability reasons. From a pure production and skill standpoint, Hemsky is absolutely worth $5mil. This guy flat out produces, on a poor team with a poor PP.

This season is the outlier production wise. I would put a lot more stock in him putting up 6 consecutive years of close to a PPG than think he'll be a 40 point player going forward. Tanguay had an outlier seaon as well with 37 points in 80 games - look where he's back to...

This is a no-brainer for Edmonton IMO. They aren't going to replace Hemsky in free agency and can't finish dead last every single year.
Isn't that why Tanguay made a lot less money after that poor season?

On talent alone hemsky is worth $ 5 million, but injury issues should have factored in and lowered the salary. In addition, looking at it from the perspective of the oilers, Eberle is the #1 rw. Hemsky is going to get 2nd line minutes and likely 2nd unit pp minutes.

Is he still going to put up ppg numbers in this environment, considering his past ppg seasons were when he was the main offensive weapon?

ahmon is online now  
Old
02-25-2012, 01:35 AM
  #23
AvantiCanada*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,407
vCash: 500
Even if Hemsky does bounce back next next year, what contending cap strapped team will trade for an injury prone player you can't count on who's signed for another 5 million the next season?

Yikes.

AvantiCanada* is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 01:47 AM
  #24
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 22,622
vCash: 50
If he was breaking out an putting up 100 points he be a 7.5m+ player. He's fairly paid if he can stay healthy. Edmonton is not going to be able to attract anyone nearly as good if they offered 6m.

I like the move for them, they now have 4 genuinely good top 6 forwards plus Gagner who is finally starting to look like one. Chuck in a stud from this years draft and that should be one of the best top 6 in the NHL within 3 years. rnh gags horcroft, those are NHL level centres at 1 2 3 spots.

OK the rest of the team sucks, but once the top six starts destroying team RA should start wanting to sign.


Last edited by me2: 02-25-2012 at 02:11 AM.
me2 is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 01:56 AM
  #25
Canucker
Go Hawks!
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 19,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
If he was breaking out an putting up 100 points he be a 7.5m+ player. He's fairly paid if he can stay healthy. Edmonton is not going to be able to attract anyone nearly as good if they offered 6m.

I like the move for them, they now have 4 genuinely good top 6 forwards plus Gather who is starting to look like one. Chuck in a stud from this years draft and that should be one of the best top 6 in the NHL within 3 years. rnh gags horcroft, those are NHL level centres at 1 2 3 spots.

OK the rest of the team sucks, but once the top six starts destroying team RA should start wanting to sign.
Except Edmonton will always be Edmonton.

Canucker is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.