HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Out of tri-state Rangers fans

Old
02-15-2012, 11:26 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
Out of tri-state Rangers fans

I'm curious which of our members are out of state and how you cope with being a Rangers fan. How do you get your Rangers fix?

Reason I ask this is there's a good chance that I'll be moving to Cali because of business.

I'm assuming obviously most of the out of staters have center ice and that's a must. Outside of that how do you get your fix? I'm afraid I won't be able to experience my Rangers the same way being across the country but maybe it's not that bad and i'm overreacting.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:31 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Living in Florida, have DirecTV with a NY service address, get NY RSNs/locals.

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Tawnos

In NC. This year I just started with NHL GameCenter Live streaming through my either my AppleTV or Playstation 3. The only problem with this route, and I'll warn you, is that the Rangers probably get shown on a combination of NBCSN, NBC and NHL Network more than any other team. Unfortunately, the NHL has decided to blackout even the games where NBCSN and NHL Network are simply re-broadcasting the MSG broadcast.

And as such, most likely sometime in March I will be using some of my tax return to (temporarily) sign up to Time Warner (my only real option here in Charlotte) for the playoffs. I'll cancel it after the playoffs are over.

I had Center Ice for each of the last 5 seasons before this one. Aside from the cost, the only thing that the GameCenter option has over Center Ice is that you can always get the MSG feed and it's always in near-HD to HD quality. Center Ice exposed me to a lot of the horrible announcers around the league and was usually in SD. (and the cost difference is simply that I only pay for internet service as the base when I'd be paying for internet no matter what. The subscription fee is about the same. With Center Ice, I'd have to get a TV package on top of the internet.)

As for my non-watching fixes... well, I spend a lot of time on these boards, lol. I also have long conversations with my family, still in NY, about this team.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Cresto
Much .500

Pretty much just streams and this board
Although lately, I've noticed a lot of streams are now either European streams or GameCenter streams which really doesn't offer all that much intermission and pregame, post game coverage and some days on some wins, it's a real turn off. I usually resort to MSG.com where they post most of the post game stuff within an hour or so.

I've looked into somehow, somehow getting MSG through legitimate means but in Vancouver, my hands are pretty much tied

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:47 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post
Living in Florida, have DirecTV with a NY service address, get NY RSNs/locals.
Hmmm how do you do this? I was thinking about something like this.

Old
02-15-2012, 11:50 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

In Atlanta.
DirecTV+Sports Package+NHL Center Ice+HD+DVR+HF Boards

If you can't get your rangers fix with that, you're even more insane than i am.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:52 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
In Atlanta.
DirecTV+Sports Package+NHL Center Ice+HD+DVR+HF Boards

If you can't get your rangers fix with that, you're even more insane than i am.
I might be. Do you do the same NY service address thing with direct TV?

And another plus with the realignment hopefully the rangers comes to the west more.

Old
02-15-2012, 11:54 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Live in Burlington, VT, surrounded by all the bandwagon Bruins fans (seriously, the bandwagoning here is ridiculous). I have Game Center Live that I stream through the PS3. First time using it this year, I like it. Moving to FL for grad school in October, same plan.

Oh and of course HF.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:30 AM
mti79

Was in Buffalo and now CT. Center Ice, these boards, and finding people who can discuss hockey in general... although, in CT I've found a few Ranger fans to talk to and have even started converting some of my new friends.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:29 AM
Zuuuuc

Living in Toronto. I watch almost every Rangers game on Gamecentre. Find it better than Centre Ice because I can stream it from anywhere, weather I'm home or at work. I've taken my laptop to an Open House I was conducting (I'm a realtor) and watched a game during the downtime

Zuuuuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:53 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Live in Holland and I get my Rangers feed online. I have to resort to streams since I don't have the possibility to get any channels broadcasting the NHL. If I could, I would definitely buy a dish and all.

Oh well, the streams are good enough, with a slight delay of 20 seconds, and sometimes even in HD. I am considering a NHL.com membership for next season

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:11 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb1985 View Post
Living in Toronto. I watch almost every Rangers game on Gamecentre. Find it better than Centre Ice because I can stream it from anywhere, weather I'm home or at work. I've taken my laptop to an Open House I was conducting (I'm a realtor) and watched a game during the downtime
How is the quality and any delays, stutter? Does it show pregame too? post game?

Old
02-16-2012, 02:11 AM
Deric

I live in Orlando, FL. Watch all the games on PS3 or tv if they're national. Local when they play Tampa, and I'm shut out when they play the Panthers unless I go to a bar or get a live stream.
Use the Internet for discussion and at work I use stitcher to listen to WFAG for the occasional caller who talks about hockey.

Deric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:16 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

I live in California.

I have NHL network + Center Ice at Home and also at the studio. (I'm a composer)

Additionally i subscribe to Hs just in case.

Thats about 500/season ;(

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:20 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
I live in California.

I have NHL network + Center Ice at Home and also at the studio. (I'm a composer)

Additionally i subscribe to Hs just in case.

Thats about 500/season ;(
whats Hs?

Old
02-16-2012, 02:22 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

hockeystreams.com

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:40 AM
skymachine

I'm also a Ranger fan in California. As everyone says here, center ice + nbc sports network gets the job done. Honestly, that's all one really needs unless you really care about watching MSG pre and postgames (or MSG in HD).

The toughest part is the time difference. I personally have a fairly "normal" work schedule (I get out of work between 5:30-6:30), which means I'm lucky to catch the 3rd period of a weekday game. As a result, I currently don't get center ice (I did when I was in grad school and my schedule was way more flexible). I solely rely on NBC sports network, NHL network, and live streams. Surprisingly, between NBC, NBC sportsnet, and NHL net, that's nearly 1/4 of the season. I definitely watch less Ranger hockey then I did growing up in NJ, but that's okay for me personally (and with the Sharks and the aforementioned channels, there is plenty of hockey to watch to get some fix).

The other tough part is not getting to go to MSG ever, but its definitely fun when the Rangers come visit. Too bad they don't every year.

skymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:09 AM
blueshirtbolt

does Ireland count as out of tri-state?

blueshirtbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:09 AM
BackBayNYR

I live in Boston and the center ice package plus the NHL network is the way i've gone the past few seasons. I just want to know when they are finally going to be able to have every game in HD. I'd say that at least 30-40 percent of the games I watch I'm stuck watching in SD and about 20 percent of the games I have to watch with the visiting teams feed. Also no MSG pre or post game which sucks. It seems that every time we play the Devils I get stuck watching Chico and Doc call the games which makes me almost not want to watch at all saying they take homerdom to the highest level.

BackBayNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:01 AM
truebluegoalie

I live in VA, just outside of DC, and this season I have decided to go with gamecenter which I usually watch on my laptop hooked up to my tv. Gamecenter for me is nice because I work shift work and will often have to work nights/weekends so when I am at work, and not busy, I can watch the game. As already mentioned the downside is when the game is on the NHLN (like tonight when I will be working )or NBCSN it is blacked out, which is really bad for me at work because we don't get either one of those networks (we do get espn and espn2 though. just sayin.) I hadn't really thought about what I am going to do when the playoffs start if the games are on those two networks, or any of the other NBC networks. We do get MSNBC and CNBC which I think will also be covering some games, but I am screwed if the games are on USA or some obscure NBC owned network.

I used to have center ice with direct tv and I liked it, but there are some downsides there as well. Direct tv wasn't bad but this past summer I switched to fios and they are awful for sports. I don't know how it is with hockey (I assume it is worse because it is hockey) but when I signed up for the baseball package I was expecting more. There were 1-2 games a night in HD, almost never the Yankees and unlike direct tv which gave you the choice of either the home or away feed with fios you were stuck with whatever they gave you, almost always the away feed. That was why for the Rangers I decided to go with gamecenter. I like the option to always be able to watch MSG, and the quality isn't bad either.

Something to consider as already mentioned is the time difference. With gamecenter you can watch the games whenever you want. When I work days I am up at 3 so watching a game the night before isn't happening, but I can watch it the next morning at work. Also instead of watching the game at night when my family is around to bug me I will sometimes watch it the next day when my wife is at work, daughter at school and it is just me and the baby home, no interruptions. So you could come home from work get some dinner and start the game up right at 7 like a normal game, then skip all the commercials, actually kind of nice. If you choose to go the center ice route, I would definitely invest in a dvr and do the same thing. Honestly, if you have the money I wouldn't go the stream route, too unreliable imo.

other ways to get rangers fix? The internet: hf boards, a couple of other ranger boards, reporter blogs, and ny newspapers online.

good luck, lots to consider.

Last edited by truebluegoalie: 02-16-2012 at 07:18 AM.
truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:18 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I'm curious which of our members are out of state and how you cope with being a Rangers fan. How do you get your Rangers fix?

Reason I ask this is there's a good chance that I'll be moving to Cali because of business.

I'm assuming obviously most of the out of staters have center ice and that's a must. Outside of that how do you get your fix? I'm afraid I won't be able to experience my Rangers the same way being across the country but maybe it's not that bad and i'm overreacting.
Former Staten Islander living in New Hampshire. I have Center Ice and I read the online versions of the Post and Daily News daily during the season. I'll occasionaly catch a Rangers/Bruins game in Boston and try to catch as many Whale games as possible when they come to New Hampshire to play the Manchester Monarchs (LA Kings affiliate).

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:23 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBayNYR View Post
I live in Boston and the center ice package plus the NHL network is the way i've gone the past few seasons. I just want to know when they are finally going to be able to have every game in HD. I'd say that at least 30-40 percent of the games I watch I'm stuck watching in SD and about 20 percent of the games I have to watch with the visiting teams feed. Also no MSG pre or post game which sucks. It seems that every time we play the Devils I get stuck watching Chico and Doc call the games which makes me almost not want to watch at all saying they take homerdom to the highest level.
The lack of HD is your cable provider not Center Ice, I have CI through DirecTV and 99.9% of games are in HD for both home and away feeds.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:36 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

Im in Central PA, so im ALMOST in the tri state area. Not quite. :-) My cable provider doesnt carry the NHL Network, and i dont understand how. It definitely makes the games on NBCSN a whole lot sweeter. Thats for sure.

How i get my fix is basically Gamecenter. If the game is shown on the NHLN and is blacked out on GCL, ill try to catch a stream somewhere online, but im really picky with it. If the stream is too blurry, choppy, whatever, ill keep refreshing the score on my phone as im doing something else.

When i move to Carolina, itll be Center Ice for sure, but for now, its temporary, ao its GameCenter and HFBoards. Gets the job done.

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:37 AM
emodwarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
The lack of HD is your cable provider not Center Ice, I have CI through DirecTV and 99.9% of games are in HD for both home and away feeds.
Edited- sorry for double post

Last edited by emodwarf: 02-16-2012 at 06:44 AM.
emodwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:43 AM
emodwarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
It's a bandwidth issue for cable providers like Comcast, Fios, etc. They can only fit so much data (picture quality) in the coaxial cables so if you have Center Ice through a cable tv provider you're going to get boned with mostly SD feeds.

Satellite providers like direct tv send everything through the air, so they're not limited by what fits in a cable. So they can offer as many HD feeds as they want with center ice or their own sports package.

emodwarf is offline   Reply With Quote