HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Call up Zuccarello (RECALLED - 3/11)

Old
03-11-2012, 10:11 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
He's not one of our better players defensively, but that doesn't make him a bad player defensively. Your hyperbole is simply outstanding. Very entertaining.

Sometimes I read these posts and wonder if we're even watching the same game. Or maybe it's that some people's expectations are flawed. He does things slightly differently than your standard muck and grind type players. Sometimes that means an extra move instead of making the easy play like you seem to think he always should. How does that make him better or worse than Rupp or Prust or Boyle or Fedotenko who just keep the puck along the boards forever and ever and ever? It doesn't. It just means he plays things a little differently.

And why this is a Zuccarello vs Mitchell discussion is beyond me.
I never said he was bad defensively. He's not GOOD defensively though.

And it's not really hyperbole when everything I described him doing he's done at least once in the past 4 games.

It's a MZA v. Mitchell debate because I think MZA is the better NHL player.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 50
Just funny:

@NYDNRangersPat Leonard
I ask Richards what he thought of "Mats." He goes, "Who? Oh, Zucc. I don't know him as Mats. That's like calling me Brad." #BroadwayHathumor

and nice:

@RMcDonagh27Ryan McDonagh
Feels great to get a win again tonight. A lot of great plays by everyone. Happy to see good buddy Mats Zuccarello back up #norwaysuperstar

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Zuccarello looked good on the PP.

Maybe that's enough to keep him around for the rest of the season. Anything is better than Scott being in the lineup.

When Callahan returns, sit Fedotenko.

Hagelin. Richards. Gaborik
Anisimov. Stepan. Callahan
Zuccarello. Dubinsky. Mitchell
Rupp. Boyle. Prust

Or whatever combination, but those guys dressed. Scott and Fedotenko scratched.
Yes. This is what I'd like to see. I like Feds, but he's on his last legs. He's not the 2004 playoffs Feds.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Yes. This is what I'd like to see. I like Feds, but he's on his last legs. He's not the 2004 playoffs Feds.
I still would like Feds for the playoffs though, his experience and numerous clutch goals would help a bit.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Just funny:

@NYDNRangersPat Leonard
I ask Richards what he thought of "Mats." He goes, "Who? Oh, Zucc. I don't know him as Mats. That's like calling me Brad." #BroadwayHathumor

and nice:

Feels great to get a win again tonight. A lot of great plays by everyone. Happy to see good buddy Mats Zuccarello back up #norwaysuperstar
I like and liked MZA. I hope we keep him up. He has passing skill that we need on the PP and wont always make the easy play

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I never said he was bad defensively. He's not GOOD defensively though.

And it's not really hyperbole when everything I described him doing he's done at least once in the past 4 games.

It's a MZA v. Mitchell debate because I think MZA is the better NHL player.
That doesn't actually explain it, you know. Being a better player is not the same as being a better fit for the role needed.

What you described actually happened. It's the words you use to describe them that make it hyperbole. Passes that don't work are always bad. Trying, but failing, to make something actually happen in offensive zone turns into atrocious. Making a choice that's different than the easy play means he thinks he's an offensive dynamo. A game where he didn't make a number of outstanding plays makes him invisible. Like I said, highly entertaining.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
I still would like Feds for the playoffs though, his experience and numerous clutch goals would help a bit.
I can see this argument too. But I don't know if we've seen enough from Feds this season to say that he'll be better in the playoffs. If Zucc can help the PP, I want him to stay.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:19 PM
North Star

vCash: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Just funny:

@NYDNRangersPat Leonard

and nice:

Heh, I got surprised by an unsuspected LOL as I read the funny bit

Btw, do you or anyone for that matter know who that female journalist specializing in Zucc is or who she works for?

North Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:27 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I'd rather have Feds in the lineup than Mitchell.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post

Btw, do you or anyone for that matter know who that female journalist specializing in Zucc is or who she works for?
I think she works for NTB which is like freelance agency selling news to other media.
Like Reuters

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Crease

Well, he's certainly better than John Scott. Only question becomes who comes out when Callahan comes back. I would say either Mitchell or Feds but Torts absolutely loves both of them. Maybe Rupp, to let him heal up.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:35 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I'd rather have Feds in the lineup than Mitchell.
Why?

Fedotenko is a non factor. Mitchell is strong on the puck.

In 60 games Fedotenko is a -7 and has 16 points.

In 48 games Mitchell is a +14 and has 14 points. Only 8 PIM.

Mitchell is BY FAR a more effective player at this stage in their careers.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:37 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Keep zucc and give him some better ice time maybe 13 mins and not with Rupp

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:37 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Well, he's certainly better than John Scott. Only question becomes who comes out when Callahan comes back. I would say either Mitchell or Feds but Torts absolutely loves both of them. Maybe Rupp, to let him heal up.
See above.

Fedotenko is washed up.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:46 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
That doesn't actually explain it, you know. Being a better player is not the same as being a better fit for the role needed.

What you described actually happened. It's the words you use to describe them that make it hyperbole. Passes that don't work are always bad. Trying, but failing, to make something actually happen in offensive zone turns into atrocious. Making a choice that's different than the easy play means he thinks he's an offensive dynamo. A game where he didn't make a number of outstanding plays makes him invisible. Like I said, highly entertaining.
Really, the only thing that's highly entertaining is you trying to defend John Malkin when you basically are saying that he is a subpar player.

I guess to you, making no plays at all is the same as me saying not making any outstanding plays.

And yes, making a bad choice that goes against the easy play is a bad choice. Because he forces it and it never ends up well. And when you have a lack of offensive talent, trying to force low percentage plays that go back for a scoring chance against IS atrocious.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Really, the only thing that's highly entertaining is you trying to defend John Malkin when you basically are saying that he is a subpar player.

I guess to you, making no plays at all is the same as me saying not making any outstanding plays.

And yes, making a bad choice that goes against the easy play is a bad choice. Because he forces it and it never ends up well. And when you have a lack of offensive talent, trying to force low percentage plays that go back for a scoring chance against IS atrocious.
Except that rarely happens. Or at least goals are rarely scored as a result, which amounts to the same thing. +/- is a pretty limited stat... but in this case I think it's telling that he's a +14 while only playing about 10 minutes at even strength per game. His 5v5 Corsi number is the best on the team, as well. He definitely gets sheltered minutes, there's no doubt about that, but he's a positive impact on the ice during those sheltered minutes. And he never makes no plays. There are plenty of times where players who aren't noticeable, but are still effective.

I'm not claiming him to be anything more than somewhere between a borderline 3rd liner and a 13th forward. But my expectations of him don't run awfully high either.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:24 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
See above.

Fedotenko is washed up.
I agree with you somewhat. I don't really think he is washed up - more banged up.
I think Zucc should replace him until the playoffs, and then when the playoffs come along sit whoever is underperforming for Feds. I think Feds can be an asset during a playoff run but not when hurt...

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:28 AM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

Quote:
See above.

Fedotenko is washed up.
i agree.

MZA needs to stay up.

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:38 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Fed has been terrible. He brings nothing at all.

His defense is average, his physical play is below average, his offense is below average. He brings nothing anymore. I'm not sure why he is even in the lineup. I was sure Zucc was going to be on that 3rd line in the 3rd period but he wasn't.

As for Zucc, i listened to Torts in the post game and he was very, very happy with him. Stated something like Zucc made the PP much better because he was very good with the little and simple things in the corners and made the right plays. He said his passing creates a different look on the PP and it improved it.

Zucc will definitly be in the lineup on Tuesday again. With Callahan or not. So either Feds or Mitchell is getting the press box.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:56 AM
TigerJack

Zuccarello has a lot of PK minutes in Whale. Would he even play PK if he was so BAD defensivly?

Zuccarello barely ever has giveaways, despite his marginal play. To me Zuke looked really good in this game. Again we see some unbelievable passes. Torts even said after the game that he made passes they hadnīt seen this year(!) and that his team mates actually were surprised by his passing...

His skating seems to have improved a lot, his confidence obviously has grown tremendously. His long time dominance in the AHL seems to have done him good.

Really hope he hangs on to his spot this time, and stays where he belongs. There is no doubt in my mind that he could be a top 6 player with 18-20 minutes pr. game. But will it be for the Rangers?

TigerJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:58 AM
Fanned On It

Well, I do like Feds' forecheck. I think that's his best attribute. That being said, I would DEFINITELY rather have Zucc in line-up instead of him. It's also hard not to take Mitchell over him because it just seems like Mitchell might have more of a jump in his step and he's definitely got the better hands out of the two. Feds does have his moments though.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:48 AM
anofsti

vCash: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post

Either NTB freelance journalist as the other guy said, but as likely a foreign correnspodance from one of the major norwegian news outlets.

No wonder they just ask about Zuccarello either, they can sell that story to every local newspaper in Norway...

anofsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:43 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
Nice too see Zuccarelo doing great. Even tho he played in Modo he was a joy to watch. Fantastic vision who will make many great plays if he gets the chance

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:22 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin2112 View Post
And you forgot - not enough 'JAM'!!
That;s because he is still in CT

Amazing Kreiderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 06:36 AM
JimmyStart*

Great to see Zuke back and contributing. This thread kept popping up b/c it seemed so obvious they wouldn't just let his contract expire without ever trying him again at least for his offense. He was just doing too much in the A. If he hadn't gotten injured I think they'd have called him up before now but they obviously wanted him to continue to work on stuff which he couldn't do when he was ouit for so long.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote