HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I think Backes is playing injured

Old
02-24-2012, 06:18 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

vCash: 500
I think Backes is playing injured

My guess is a shoulder injury and he's had it for a while. He hasn't been putting the classic Backes zip on passes or shots. He hasn't been hitting with near the power or frequency, and when he does hit, he tends to stumble a bit instead of running right over guys like in the past. He doesn't battle as fiercely in front of the net or even go to the net as much. And he doesn't appear to shove on guys with his hands or stick as much during the play.

If I'm correct and he's not sitting out to let it heal, it could be something that requires surgery and would end his season. I'm interested to see if it's just a funk he's in, if it gets worse, or if he has surgery immediately following the season's end.

Also on the injury front, with Russell's injury, I have to believe the Blues will pull the trigger on a veteran defenseman. Hamrlik or perhaps Bergeron.

rumrokh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 06:21 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
My guess is a shoulder injury and he's had it for a while. He hasn't been putting the classic Backes zip on passes or shots. He hasn't been hitting with near the power or frequency, and when he does hit, he tends to stumble a bit instead of running right over guys like in the past. He doesn't battle as fiercely in front of the net or even go to the net as much. And he doesn't appear to shove on guys with his hands or stick as much during the play.

If I'm correct and he's not sitting out to let it heal, it could be something that requires surgery and would end his season. I'm interested to see if it's just a funk he's in, if it gets worse, or if he has surgery immediately following the season's end.

Also on the injury front, with Russell's injury, I have to believe the Blues will pull the trigger on a veteran defenseman. Hamrlik or perhaps Bergeron.
Bergeron, as in Marc Andre Bergeron? Not a chance, we dont need a small offense first dman who looks lost in his own end.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:07 PM
nhlfan9191

All the things you named are the symptoms of a player not playing well. You can't just create an excuse that he has a shoulder injury that requires surgery with no facts man.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:13 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
All the things you named are the symptoms of a player not playing well. You can't just create an excuse that he has a shoulder injury that requires surgery with no facts man.
This and say it was a shoulder injury that required surgery, there is no way he could even play. Some things you can play through, but not a shoulder injury that is significant enough for surgery. He is just in one of his slumps that he is known to be in.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:26 PM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
This and say it was a shoulder injury that required surgery, there is no way he could even play. Some things you can play through, but not a shoulder injury that is significant enough for surgery. He is just in one of his slumps that he is known to be in.
So you don't think that if Backes was in a slump offensively that he wouldn't be hitting everything in sight as a way to keep his game at a high energy level, or at least set a physical tone for the rest of the team? Like rumrokh said, Backes isn't hitting nearly as much, and when he does it's a soft hit. I too think he's nursing an injury of some sort. A shoulder injury would explain the lack of offense AND physicality, but obviously we can't be sure.

I hope we're wrong though, obviously.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:38 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp82 View Post
So you don't think that if Backes was in a slump offensively that he wouldn't be hitting everything in sight as a way to keep his game at a high energy level, or at least set a physical tone for the rest of the team? Like rumrokh said, Backes isn't hitting nearly as much, and when he does it's a soft hit. I too think he's nursing an injury of some sort. A shoulder injury would explain the lack of offense AND physicality, but obviously we can't be sure.

I hope we're wrong though, obviously.
Say he's hurt, it isn't very significant IMO. It's not like a menisus, where you can play on it, like Jackman has in the past. If he does have a shoulder injury, it isn't a significant one because if it is, he couldn't play if he wanted to.

I'm sure he is banged up because pretty much everyone is banged up in a physical league at this point, especially the players that play with physicality.

Backes has known to be in slumps. When you are in slumps, everything seems to be a bit off. This is no different than the typical Backes slump. I have full confidence that he will bust out sometime soon.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
He hasnt looked the same since the cross check IMO

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:48 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Well before the cross check he wasn't playing at the level he established in the first half IMO.

I don't think there's any particular merit to him having a shoulder injury that would need surgery. Let's not be alarmist here. It's possible he's more banged up as a person who hits a lot would be, but his line hasn't gotten much space because in the second half the league usually picks up the pace and opponents know the top priority is the Backes line. Oshie hasn't been all that great either. They miss Steen.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Completely untrue. I had a tear in my shoulder that needed surgery, but it wasn't dire. I had problems with it locking up and with a big dip in strength at certain angles. The docs said I could keep playing the season and when I was in the offseason they would go ahead with surgery. So, it is possible.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:37 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 133
Let's be careful about starting completely unsubstantiated rumors like that.

I think with injuries Backes' line has been easy for other teams to focus on. Other than the 4th line, until recently no other line was creating much pressure regularly. I think the guy is probably just a bit worn down from carrying more of the load. Oshie looks this way, too, at times.

Berglund and Stewart showing some sparks (on different lines) is a positive sign. If those two lines start putting offensive pressure on opponents I think suddenly Backes will look much healthier.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
I always wondered if the Blues could maintain their physical, relentless style of play for an entire year. The body just isn't designed to pound and take a pounding night after night. Maybe they are letting off the gas a little to re-charge for the playoffs.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:05 AM
Oshie97

I said the same thing watching the Sharks game a couple weeks ago and think it may be true. Backes does go through scoring droughts but he always plays with intensity but the last month or so he has not looked like himself. I hope it's just a funk, cause if it's not were screwed. We need Backes playing at the top of his game if we hope to do anything in the playoffs.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:25 AM
BlueSinceBirth

I wouldn't have thought this were true if I hadn't seen him struggle even accepting passes. I'm not sure if it's an injury or just fatigue but something hasn't been quite right with him the last few games.

BlueSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 12:05 PM
h22prelude93

My Dad has been saying this for about the past dozen games or so. He mentioned Backes' facial expressions as sometimes looking like a guy who is dealing with some pain. IMO, he really hasn't looked the same since he crashed into the boards that one game against Buffalo. It could just be that he's banged up a bit, but I certainly wouldn't put it past a tough guy like Backes to play through an injury. If he is in fact nursing a small injury, then hopefully he takes it a little easy, and gets back to 100% before the playoffs. Here's that collision again courtesy of Spectr...pretty brutal stuff right there.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Market Street Heroes

He hasn't looked the same since the cross check to the ear.

Market Street Heroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 12:48 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

It was obvious watching that Chicago game that there was something wrong with him. He wasn't having a great month before that but the last three games he's been invisible.

Even when Backes goes through his slumps he's a player that can have an effect on the game in so many different ways and we haven't seen that happen.

The natural wear and tear over a long season is one thing but his play indicates it's something more significant.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote