HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winners and Losers

Old
02-27-2012, 05:38 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Winners and Losers

So now that the dust has settled who exactly are the winners and losers from the past week or so?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:41 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 73
Fans were the winners in a round about way

All trades today were hockey trades--no salery dumps or trades done because a team has an internal cap

for those who listened to 20 hours of talking heads talking about nothing--they lost

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:42 PM
joestevens29

I have quite a few losers to be honest.

Carolina, doesn't move Spacek or Allen. Maybe they waited too long, but the d market was there and they didn't take advantage of it.

Washington does nothing is a loser for me.

I like Boston as a winner, maybe they got useless players in Rolston and Mottau, but all they were really looking for is depth and gave up little to get this. Add Zanon and I like their moves.

Detroit getting Quincey is a win for me.

Other teams such as NSH or Minny are a TBD for me. NSH made some bold moves and time will tell if they were worth it.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Halibut

vCash: 500
They're an easy target but Calgary. They didnt do anything to get them into the playoffs, they're slumping and falling out of the race and they didnt sell off anything to get pieces for the future. Chicago also didnt do enough to get a firm hold on a playoff spot, not sure that LA did enough either.

Buffalo look to be real winners. Hodgson is a real nice piece of the future to pick up and a 1st for Gaustad is a decent return. Cant say that their trading partners really lost those deals because what they got back could really help them in the short term.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

To me, Boston is a big winner. Clearly they didn't add top end help, but they added decent depth to their already dominant team. They're going to be tough this year in the East.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:49 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
They're an easy target but Calgary. They didnt do anything to get them into the playoffs, they're slumping and falling out of the race and they didnt sell off anything to get pieces for the future. Chicago also didnt do enough to get a firm hold on a playoff spot, not sure that LA did enough either.

Buffalo look to be real winners. Hodgson is a real nice piece of the future to pick up and a 1st for Gaustad is a decent return. Cant say that their trading partners really lost those deals because what they got back could really help them in the short term.
I was going to target the Flames, but they've been wasting picks for years and getting no where. I guess they could've gotten Zanon and Rolston for nothing though.

I like the pieces added to Buffalo. I just don't know that it makes them a better team anytime soon. Outside of Hodgson coming in and getting 60+ points their team is a lot easier to place against today.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

Nashville showed they are serious about competing this year with the additions of Gaustad, Kostitsyn and Gill. Lots of good moves although came at a pretty high price.

Buffalo won. Gaustad, Kassian and Gragnani for Hodgson and a 1st, great haul for them.

Vancouver scares the living hell out of me with Kassian if he develops so they win but giving up on Hodgson has to hurt although it is understandable having Kesler and Sedin down the middle already. Pahlsson was a solid playoff pick up as well.

Boston I think quietly was a winner as well, adding Greg Zanon was a great move and Rolston adds even more experience to the team. Along with some D depth in Matteau.

Happy Hallidays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Pennertration

Winners: Boston, Vancouver, Nashville, Detroit

Losers: Calgary, Chicago, Leafs

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:55 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
Winners: Boston, Vancouver, Nashville, Detroit

Losers: Calgary, Chicago, Leafs
I think the leafs are borderline winners- Carter Ashton will be good

Old
02-27-2012, 05:57 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
I think the leafs are borderline winners- Carter Ashton will be good
They had room to move Aulie. Burke probably pissed that he couldn't make a bigger move though.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:58 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
vancouver lost getting fleeced for hodgson

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:03 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

vCash: 50
Buffalo is definitely a winner. Getting a 1st and 4th for a guy worth about a 3rd as well as picking up Hodgson for Kassian(great trade for both teams IMO). Not bad...

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:07 PM
oilWILDcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Buffalo is definitely a winner. Getting a 1st and 4th for a guy worth about a 3rd as well as picking up Hodgson for Kassian(great trade for both teams IMO). Not bad...
It blew my mind how Gaustad was worth a 1st...

oilWILDcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:07 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
Meh. They're a better team because of it

Old
02-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Pennertration

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
I guess if that's what you think happened. The way I see it, they have a surplus of skill and were in major need of size and grit. Kassian has the potential to be a real beast and I doubt the Oilers will enjoy playing him more than Hodgson. Add in Gragnani and the Canucks did fine in that deal IMO.

I actually think with that trade and Pahlsson, the Canucks were the big winner on the day.

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:11 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilWILDcountry View Post
It blew my mind how Gaustad was worth a 1st...
I know eh! It's arguably worse than the Varlamov deal even because Gaustad is like a 4th line center on a good team

Old
02-27-2012, 06:12 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 4737
Winners= all the teams that had a chance to trade for Rick Nash and didn't.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:58 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

For those who are saying the nucks got hosed--

Klassen brings a meanness to the line up that can slide up and down lines--Hodgson is the better player point wise--but Klassen bring the Scott Hartness factor to things

Old
02-27-2012, 07:01 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
For those who are saying the nucks got hosed--

Klassen brings a meanness to the line up that can slide up and down lines--Hodgson is the better player point wise--but Klassen bring the Scott Hartness factor to things
Kassian*

Old
02-27-2012, 07:03 PM
CupofOil
Visualizing

Buffalo was a huge winner IMO. They essentially got Hodgson and a 1st rounder for Gaustad, Kassian and Gragnani. Nice job by them.

I think that Burke did well to get Ashton for a redundant defenseman.

Calgary is a big loser, how can Feaster look at that lineup and do virtually nothing? I would be fuming if i was a Calgary fan.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Winner:

Buffalo
Nashville
Philly

Losers:

Van
CBJ (by a massive amount)

02-27-2012, 07:09 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Winner:

Buffalo
Nashville
Philly

Losers:

Van
CBJ (by a massive amount)
I think Vancouver has made their team drastically better. They might not have got the best possible value for Hodgson, but I certainly wouldn't put them in the losers (just the fans...)

Old
02-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I think Vancouver has made their team drastically better. They might not have got the best possible value for Hodgson, but I certainly wouldn't put them in the losers (just the fans...)
While 33 points may not seem like a lot, but Hodgson represented depth scoring for the Canucks.

Remember last year in the playoffs when the Sedins were slowed down and Kesler had to carry that team on his back offensively.

Hodgson would've been a huge help for that team being able to have more scoring after the 2 lines. Guys like Malhotra and Pahlsson don't bring any appreciable offense and Kassian isn't ready to produce yet. He's raw and inconsistent, and he needs time to develop.

I don't think they got better at all. Maybe in the future we look back and say, yeah adding Kassian was a boss move for the Canucks, but in terms of trying to win this year, it wasn't a good move.

In terms of forwards, Hodgson was the Canucks 5th leading scorer in points and 4th in goals.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:56 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
While 33 points may not seem like a lot, but Hodgson represented depth scoring for the Canucks.

Remember last year in the playoffs when the Sedins were slowed down and Kesler had to carry that team on his back offensively.

Hodgson would've been a huge help for that team being able to have more scoring after the 2 lines. Guys like Malhotra and Pahlsson don't bring any appreciable offense and Kassian isn't ready to produce yet. He's raw and inconsistent, and he needs time to develop.

I don't think they got better at all. Maybe in the future we look back and say, yeah adding Kassian was a boss move for the Canucks, but in terms of trying to win this year, it wasn't a good move.

In terms of forwards, Hodgson was the Canucks 5th leading scorer in points and 4th in goals.
Call me crazy, but I'd rather have Kassian in the lineup. With him on the second line, they still have Raymond, Higgins, and Hansen in the bottom 6. All of which have produced well. Sure it means you have to play Lapierre, Pahlsson, or Malhotra on the 3rd line, but that's still crazy depth. Don't forget that they've also added Booth. They have tons of people that can score, they don't have physically dominant players that can score like Kassian