HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Walker's comments re: NHLPA meeting

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2004, 06:07 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
what he said was maybe contraction was something they would have to look at or something along those lines, it was in the city paper. Walker is an idiot for even bringing it up and will more than likely be booed when he returns to the ice here.

I like dulzhok's idea, problem is, it ties revenue to salaries so the NHLPA defines it as a cap.

Old
11-04-2004, 07:21 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Speaking of the resolve of the NHLPA I would say that Zholtok dieing will only add to that resolve.

Old
11-04-2004, 09:41 AM
PredsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang
Speaking of the resolve of the NHLPA I would say that Zholtok dieing will only add to that resolve.
I would think it would have the opposite effect...

meaning, it puts things into perspective.

Old
11-04-2004, 10:23 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I was thinking more along the lines of "we can die doing this stuff, there is no way we'll accept an artificial cap".

Old
11-04-2004, 08:02 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
How does a salary cap of $35m help the preds? It makes players salaries more affordable for us and enables a small budget team to compete with the "big dogs" like the red wings.

Old
11-04-2004, 08:12 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
I like dulzhok's idea, problem is, it ties revenue to salaries so the NHLPA defines it as a cap.
The way I see it, the NHLPA has about 2 months left to offer something serious to the NHL. If not, the season will be gone. If that's the case, though the league denies it, I have little doubt that the season will start up in Oct. 2005 on the NHL's terms (their last offer to the NHLPA). They are being silent about it right now because if they "threaten" that option, it could be classified as unfair labor practices. But if the season is lost, come August or September, the NHL will announce that they will be open for business in October. Those that want to come back may come back. Those that don't can strike if they want, but they will void any previously signed contract. Replacement players will fill the rest of the holes.

The NHLPA is in a position of weakness. I suggest that they start making some serious offers to the NHL, or they won't have ANY say in the new CBA. A 10% tax on spending over 50 million won't do anything to fix the problems in the league. If the NHL doens't like the NHLPA's offers (they aren't even close at this point), they have no incentive to give in. They'll just start up in October on their terms.

Last edited by dulzhok: 11-04-2004 at 08:16 PM.
Old
11-04-2004, 08:15 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
How does a salary cap of $35m help the preds? It makes players salaries more affordable for us and enables a small budget team to compete with the "big dogs" like the red wings.
Well, it certainly helps us from a competiton perspective, but whether or not it helps from an economic perspective is in question. *Assuming* that our ticket sales remain the same, we will still lose money on a payroll of 25 million. Supposedly, the league's proposal has some form of revenue sharing, but I haven't heard how it's laid out.

Old
11-04-2004, 08:27 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
Yeah, it drives me nuts. How does a cap well lower than most costs help the Preds? The same way it helps the Titans compete and win against the likes of the Jets, Patriots, and Giants.

Old
11-04-2004, 08:56 PM
PredsFan77*

Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
Isn't he real high in the NHLPA? What do you expect him to say?

Old
11-05-2004, 03:56 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
what he said was maybe contraction was something they would have to look at or something along those lines, it was in the city paper. Walker is an idiot for even bringing it up and will more than likely be booed when he returns to the ice here.
I just hope Modano and Chelios (since one or both specifically named nashville, and non-traditional markets) face the full brunt of Nashville fans when they come back here to play....whenever the next season is. By the way mr.modano, Dallas isn't exactly a traditional market either, but I guess since it's a relocated franchise that won a cup, and that also employs you, it shouldn't be mentioned for contraction.

Last edited by sparkle twin: 11-10-2004 at 02:03 AM.
Old
11-05-2004, 08:51 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
Well, it certainly helps us from a competiton perspective, but whether or not it helps from an economic perspective is in question. *Assuming* that our ticket sales remain the same, we will still lose money on a payroll of 25 million. Supposedly, the league's proposal has some form of revenue sharing, but I haven't heard how it's laid out.
I'd like to think that with a salary cap and less inflated salaries that Nashville could sign some "second tier" talent and become a legit contender. I'd like to think that this would help ticket sales. I mean, everyone likes a good team and a winner, don't they? I do see what you mean, though.

Old
11-05-2004, 07:05 PM
belle

Last Feb, Walker indicated if his contracted wasn't extended by x date he probably wouldn't be a Pred the next season. A week later he was back-pedaling, trying to soften his comments. His contract was eventually extended, but it was after the x date.

Walker talks off-the-cuff like he plays the game - with emotion, passion, and a little reckless. I imagine if he were in Nashville, he would be back-pedaling now.

Yesterday I heard (Greg) Johnson on 104.5 discussing the lockout, the NHLPA meeting, etc. It was the best explanation/discussion I've heard from a players perspective. Just like Johnson plays - his remarks were analytical, cautious, measured.

What Walker said is maddening for a frustrated fan. At the same time, when the puck drops, I want to see that passion for the game.

Closed Thread