HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Nash Rumours VIII: Nash-ing out the final details

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Believe me, I think if Dubinsky, Thomas, Erixon, 1st was the price, Nash would have been playing against Buffalo last night, not against Pittsburgh today.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Dubinsky, Erixon (preferably McIlrath), Thomas, and a 1st.

Is that really that hard?
I think this would be over if Thomas was substituted. Just doesn't wet my whistle if I'm Howson, you never know, but lacks the size to be a real impact player at the NHL level. If a deal gets done I could see something like this..

NYR - Nash

Col - Dubi, Miller, Erixon, 1st, Conditional 2nd (turns to a #1 should we win the SC)

Old
02-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Believe me, I think if Dubinsky, Thomas, Erixon, 1st was the price, Nash would have been playing against Buffalo last night, not against Pittsburgh today.
Don't most players of Nash's caliber get traded usually on deadline day?

Old
02-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
I think this would be over if Thomas was substituted. Just doesn't wet my whistle if I'm Howson, you never know, but lacks the size to be a real impact player at the NHL level. If a deal gets done I could see something like this..

NYR - Nash

Col - Dubi, Miller, Erixon, 1st, Conditional 2nd (turns to a #1 should we win the SC)
The 2nd pick is not neccesary. But I wouldnt do both miller and erixon, 1 or other.

Old
NYR1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post

NYR - Nash

I hope that's not the case. Seems like overpayment to me.

Old
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Possibly. But at the same time Howson may be taking this down to the wire (that being today) hoping someone budges with a better offer

Old
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Erixon will not be traded. I say this again, not after how he got here.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
If it is Dubinsky, Erixon, Thomas, and a 1st, just pull the God damn trigger already.
The absurd appetite for a trade (literally, just any trade sometimes) and the misled thinking that Howson absolutely must unload Nash before tomorrow at 3pm is what leads to posts like this.

The trigger hasnt been pulled because Columbus wants more, which they ain't getting.

This is going to end in a lot of disappointment and wasted time for a lot of people.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Brolov View Post
Don't most players of Nash's caliber get traded usually on deadline day?
Im pretty sure Kovalchuk was traded before deadline day, as was Richards and Heatley was traded in the summer.

Old
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Link?
http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...nash-1.3557699

Old
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

I'd rather keep Dubi and Erixon at this point. Look for a MDZ like rebound season for Dubi, Erixon jumps into the line-up, maybe Thomas contributes during fill in work and becomes a regular or has enough of an impact to be trade bait next deadline, and who knows what happens with that 1st…

Kovalchuk enticed me to really going crazy with offers. Nash doesn't. I don't even think he turns into a perennial 65 pt guy in Tort's system.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
So I was at work all day, what did the drunk say during the Devils game?

Old
02-26-2012, 03:04 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
They definitely need a whole team to really compete, but do you think they can really sell the BJ fans on coming back to a team that never finished it's first rebuild, and is entering a second?

It doesn't take a whole team to get into the playoffs. Year after year 7th and 8th seeds are pretty massively flawed hockey clubs, with goaltending that got hot, or key injuries to some other teams in their division letting them win a bunch of games.

Yakupov is not guaranteed, but with two guys like that, they can claw into 7th or 8th if they can grab a goalie and a pair of defenseman this offseason. I mean half this board is saying Nash could be an 80pt guy with talent on his line, so why shouldn't Howson feel the same way? And with talent incoming, he just might. This is all predicated on the fact that the legions of scouts that have reported on Yakupov are right about him being absolutely NHL ready and looking to be a real contributor right out of camp.
7/8 seed teams very rarely win it all in any sport ... not smart for business (if your business is to win)

Old
02-26-2012, 03:04 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1967 View Post
I hope that's not the case. Seems like overpayment to me.
There has to be compromise, That's the only kind of deal IMO that gets it done without losing more than 1 current roster player, a player who has what, 6 goals. I know we'd like to just take Nash and his crappy contract off their hands, but in business you have to bend without breaking. I know some might consider it breaking, but to get Nash and only lose 1 current roster player is going to require giving up a few decent prospects...

Old
02-26-2012, 03:05 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Steve Zipay ‏
so nothing new ...

Old
Nyrvana

You've got to respect Sather and Rangers' management here if we do not trade for Nash. Holding on to your top prospects and believing in the system is not always easy. I think Erixon, Miller, and Kreider will all be very good players for the Rangers in the next couple of years.

I do hope Sather can get someone that will help the team this year tomorrow.

Old
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
That may not be asking price, but that maybe the best offer. The rest is playing chicken. Both sides waiting the other out.

I think it's hard not to trade Nash now. And if Nash wants to be traded, the Rangers are amazingy appealing — first place team, in the East and has an elite playmaker. If Nash wants the Rangers, then Cbus doesn't have a whole lot of other options.

02-26-2012, 03:06 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I'd rather keep Dubi and Erixon at this point. Look for a MDZ like rebound season for Dubi, Erixon jumps into the line-up, maybe Thomas contributes during fill in work and becomes a regular or has enough of an impact to be trade bait next deadline, and who knows what happens with that 1st…

Kovalchuk enticed me to really going crazy with offers. Nash doesn't. I don't even think he turns into a perennial 65 pt guy in Tort's system.
I agree. Let's stick with what we've got. Take a shot at Parise (if available.) See what Kreider looks like in camp. There's always guys to be had later. Personally I'd rather hold on to Erixon and deal Dubinsky and a pick for a 25 goal scorer anyway. We don't need to swing for the fences every time. As I've said before, this team needs another top 6 forward, not another top 6 contract.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:06 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
7/8 seed teams very rarely win it all in any sport ... not smart for business (if your business is to win)
True, but the Business of hockey is to sell tickets, merchandise, and tv time. Shipping out your best player, when he has actual help coming from free agency signings or the draft, is not going to go over well with Columbus fans. Imagine years building, culmuniating to one playoff birth, and then an even deeper rebuild. yeeesh

Plus: there's not really much value going to Columbus if the offer really is Dubi + Thomas + McIlrath + 1st. That offer is not going to turn that ship around unless the Undertaker makes the NHL jump a year earlier than predicted, and Dubi has a massive bounce-back season… on a team with less offensive help than the NYR. If we really believe Dubi goes back to a 60pt player (which is what we keep telling Clbs fans), then adding 3.8m or whatever in extra cap for Nash is ludicrous for 5-8 more pts per season.

Erixon is a non-starter. Across the board scouts have him still listed as a stud, he's young, inconsistent and all, but there's too many reputable people (HF staff included) saying this guy will make a real impact on a team looking for a slick defenseman.

Last edited by SlingshotVv: 02-26-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old
02-26-2012, 03:08 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
And more importantly, this approach isn't sustainable. They'd be playing catch up as far as developing a supporting cast and would feel a ton of pressure to rush that. By the time they developed one, Nash would be a free agent and Yakupov would be eligible to leave. It would be pretty shortsighted to aim for this quick turnaround.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I agree. Let's stick with what we've got. Take a shot at Parise (if available.) See what Kreider looks like in camp. There's always guys to be had later. Personally I'd rather hold on to Erixon and deal Dubinsky and a pick for a 25 goal scorer anyway. We don't need to swing for the fences every time. As I've said before, this team needs another top 6 forward, not another top 6 contract.

I think Dubinsly is a 25 goal scorer who's having a bad year.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

First, what is Dubinsky's true offensive upside? He's a 40-50 point guy. Second, I don't see a rebound as he likely won't crack the top six or get PP time.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:10 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
True, but the Business of hockey is to sell tickets, merchandise, and tv time. Shipping out your best player, when he has actual help coming from free agency signings or the draft, is not going to go over well with Columbus fans. Imagine years building, culmuniating to one playoff birth, and then an even deeper rebuild. yeeesh
But the alternative is equally as bad. They are in this spot because Howson has been so awful. The thing to do is to admit the failures and then try again without repeating them. They need a reboot in the worst way.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:12 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
I think Dubinsly is a 25 goal scorer who's having a bad year.
He's only scored 25 goals once in his career (including juniors).

Old
02-26-2012, 03:12 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Perhaps but you are really rolling the dice ... it's smarter to just rebuild than hope what you have pans out and one player turns them into a top 4 team in the west (serious long shot)

And yes business is to sell sell sell ... HOWEVER know what REALLY sells? A hot team ... a winning team ... a competitive team year in and year out even if you don't win it all (ie: SJ, WAS, PHI, etc)

Closed Thread