HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa interested in Ben Bishop

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2012, 11:05 PM
Prussian_Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
What a joke. I would assume you haven't watched Anderson the last few months?

For the record, I am 100% game for Bishop, but Anderson's poor stats come from a slow start. He may not be Brodeur, but don't pretend like you know anything about him if you don't watch the games.
I know at least as much about Anderson as you know about Ben Bishop, hoss... I've seen more than enough of Craig Anderson over the years - including this year - to know that he's nothing special.

He's a third-tier NHL goaltender... he'll win you some games, but he's two big notches below the Luongos and Lundqvists and Rinnes of the league, and a big notch below the Halaks and Quicks and Millers.

Your management traded Brian Elliott to acquire Anderson; think they'd like to have that one back, judging by the season Elliott's having?

Old
02-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post

AHL replacement for Lehner?
Yeah, I agree, that makes no sense whatsoever. Only makes any sense if Anderson is out long term with his cut hand. Even in that case, Lehner should be able to come in for Auld and hold the fort for the time being over the next couple of weeks.

I think Lehner and Bishop are pretty close in terms of NHL games played in their young careers.

Old
02-25-2012, 11:10 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

yes please:

- depending on how long andy takes, we might actually be able to get him 17 games
- we need a backup for next year anyways, so getting a head start on signing him would be nice
- lehner has struggled this year, clearly needs more time in the AHL
- andy needs to play less next year. His workload is insane.

take a 3rd. Done.

Old
02-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Clamshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Your management traded Brian Elliott to acquire Anderson; think they'd like to have that one back, judging by the season Elliott's having?
If you think Elliott would come even marginally close to the season he's having if he was still on Ottawa, I don't even know what to say...

Old
02-25-2012, 11:13 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Absolutely not.

I've been high on elliott for ages. Had to defend him in all those elliott vs schneider threads.

that said, he was broken last year. I've seen plenty of broken players before, and broken goalies too. They dont magically get better without major changes.

Elliott needed to go. I'm extremely happy for him that he did, and that he got another chance, and that it's worked out, but this would never have happened in Ottawa.

Old
02-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Stillflexin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamshells View Post
If you think Elliott would come even marginally close to the season he's having if he was still on Ottawa, I don't even know what to say...
Apparently you haven't watched Elliott that much this season, just because he hasn't faced that many shots doesn't mean he hasn't came up HUGE for us in games when he's needed to. Him and Halak are heroes to STL this season and it isn't just from their stats but how they have actually been playing.

Old
02-25-2012, 11:16 PM
FrontenacSens

If Bryan Murray traded a 3rd rounder for Filatov why wouldn't he trade a 3rd for Bishop.
It would be awesome to get Bishop, him and Auld split time until Anderson comes back and either waive or keep Auld as a 3rd goalie(hopefully for the playoffs)

Old
02-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillflexin View Post
Apparently you haven't watched Elliott that much this season, just because he hasn't faced that many shots doesn't mean he hasn't came up HUGE for us in games when he's needed to. Him and Halak are heroes to STL this season and it isn't just from their stats but how they have actually been playing.
We're not saying that Elliott isn't a good goalie. He's played great for St. Louis, but he was done in Ottawa. His confidence was shot. Elliott leaving was a good move for both sides. Had he stayed in Ottawa through to this year, he'd probably still be struggling.

Old
02-25-2012, 11:17 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
I know at least as much about Anderson as you know about Ben Bishop, hoss... I've seen more than enough of Craig Anderson over the years - including this year - to know that he's nothing special.

He's a third-tier NHL goaltender... he'll win you some games, but he's two big notches below the Luongos and Lundqvists and Rinnes of the league, and a big notch below the Halaks and Quicks and Millers.

Nope.

That's not to take anything away from what Elliott has done this year, but he was done here in Ottawa. Sometimes, players just need a change of scenery (or two in less than 5 months, in Elliott's case) in order to get their game straightened out. Goaltending seems to be half skill/ half mental sometimes, and he was psychologically gone as a Sen. Too much had gone on, between the team imploding, and Clouston messing with him, along with the rest of it. It was PAINFULLY obvious that he wasn't going to get over the hump here.

We moved him for a guy who can be a pretty good (not elite, though) goalie for us. I see the trade as a win for us, and an incredible stroke of luck for the Blues that he's been able to get out of the funk that he CLEARLY wasn't going to get out of here. I think most Sens fans are happy for him, but Anderson is a better goalie for us now than Elliott would have been, had he stayed.

Old
02-25-2012, 11:23 PM
HooliganX2

Wow this didn't need to turn into man Elliott vs Anderson thread. It doesn't need to be a Bishop vs anyone thread either. Bishop at worst is ready to be a quality NHL backup that can potentially challenge a starter. If the Sens want to give him a chance to play in the NHL that's good. If the Sens don't thats fine also.

No need for a flame fest. Everyone is entiltled to their one opinions. I think if given a chance Bishop can excell for a team.

Old
02-25-2012, 11:48 PM
Clamshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillflexin View Post
Elliott's confidence was shot, the team's confidence in him was shot. There was no way Elliott was ever going to succeed in a Sens uniform, so he got a fresh start and has taken it and ran with it. That's all I was trying to say.

Old
02-25-2012, 11:49 PM
Marky Mark

go get a goalie Murray...

Auld is not an alternative - that was painfully evident tonight. The only reason he wasn't pulled after he 3rd goal was to avoid subjecting Lehner to a bad period. GO GET GOALIE - Bishop - Harding - hell - I'll take Emery or Leclaire at this point - Auld is toast. Put him on waivers and be done with it.

Old
02-25-2012, 11:59 PM
Marky Mark

why does anyone want a guy thats "happy" seating on the bench in the first place - is that supposed to be a good quality for a back-up goalie or something. I want a guy thats "UNHAPPY" about sitting on the bench personally

Old
02-26-2012, 07:04 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky Mark View Post
why does anyone want a guy thats "happy" seating on the bench in the first place - is that supposed to be a good quality for a back-up goalie or something. I want a guy thats "UNHAPPY" about sitting on the bench personally
Like a 25 year old who wants desperately to GTFO of the AHL, a league he's clearly grown out of, and prove himself in the NHL?

If only a team like St. Louis had a goalie like that in their system somewhere that we could trade for....

Old
02-26-2012, 07:06 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

I think there's some interest possibly from Pittsburgh as well to become our new back-up net minder now that Johnson is horrid. Cost?

Old
02-26-2012, 07:34 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

I actually think this would be real good for the Sens who are lacking goalie depth but I don't see them moving a pick for Bishop.

I'd say a straight swap of Bishop for Wiercioch makes the most sense. The Blues aren't aching for more young defensemen but with so many of them on the cusp of the NHL (Cole, Fairchild, etc...) adding a still developing offensive guy could be attractive for them.

Old
02-26-2012, 08:03 AM
BadgersandBlues

I don't think the Blues will part with him for anything less then a 2nd or a quality prospect, or a combination of decent prospect and a 3rd.

We drafted him in the third round a few years ago, we've developed him over the course of that time, I don't think we'd be looking to net out another 3rd round pick for him, we'd want some return on our investment.

Also, for the first time in about 20 years of Blues history WE finally have legit goaltending depth, and that's something I think our GM is loathe to give away unless the deal really wows him.

I know Bishop can be had, as there have been many reports of interested teams, but I also know we have a price for him that no team has yet to be willing to match, and I don't think Doug Armstrong will lower his price b/t now and 3 tomorrow.

Old
02-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
I actually think this would be real good for the Sens who are lacking goalie depth but I don't see them moving a pick for Bishop.

I'd say a straight swap of Bishop for Wiercioch makes the most sense. The Blues aren't aching for more young defensemen but with so many of them on the cusp of the NHL (Cole, Fairchild, etc...) adding a still developing offensive guy could be attractive for them.
While this would make sense from a value standpoint, it does not make much sense for the sens. Although Wiercioch has regressed somewhat, he is our only real PMD prospect left. All our other prospects seem to be rugged, shutdown types. (Wideman, Aneloski and the college guys I do not believe will be able to make the jump)

Although I do realize we have a bigger hole in goal then we do on defense in our system.

Old
02-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgersandBlues View Post
I don't think the Blues will part with him for anything less then a 2nd or a quality prospect, or a combination of decent prospect and a 3rd.

We drafted him in the third round a few years ago, we've developed him over the course of that time, I don't think we'd be looking to net out another 3rd round pick for him, we'd want some return on our investment.

Also, for the first time in about 20 years of Blues history WE finally have legit goaltending depth, and that's something I think our GM is loathe to give away unless the deal really wows him.

I know Bishop can be had, as there have been many reports of interested teams, but I also know we have a price for him that no team has yet to be willing to match, and I don't think Doug Armstrong will lower his price b/t now and 3 tomorrow.
Now is pretty much his last chance to ever lower his price you know

Old
02-26-2012, 09:32 AM
Mark Effin Stone
Jävla grisapa!

I would welcome this addition to the Sens and let Lehner play in the AHL instead.

Old
02-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubbe View Post
I would welcome this addition to the Sens and let Lehner play in the AHL instead.
Deal just about done, blues gave ok to talk about an extension. Just a matter of who, or what's the return.

Old
02-26-2012, 09:52 AM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgersandBlues View Post

He's a UFA, so 2 options: either give it away for absolutely nothing July 1, or give it away for something, anything (thus most likely nothing better than a third) tomorrow.

Old
02-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Bruce Garrioch ‏ @SunGarrioch
League sources say Senators closing in on deal for Ben Bishop from STL Blues. Could be done today. #Sens #SNTrade

Not sure I follow...isn't Anderson only going to miss a week or two?

Doesn't Bishop have to play something like 17 games to avoid being a UFA?

Old
02-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Bruce Garrioch ‏ @SunGarrioch
League sources say Senators closing in on deal for Ben Bishop from STL Blues. Could be done today. #Sens #SNTrade

Not sure I follow...isn't Anderson only going to miss a week or two?

Doesn't Bishop have to play something like 17 games to avoid being a UFA?
Blues ok'd Sens talking to him about an extension

Old
02-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
So Bishop is content with being a backup for a few years?

Closed Thread