HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa interested in Ben Bishop

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Pilgore88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Bruce Garrioch ‏ @SunGarrioch
League sources say Senators closing in on deal for Ben Bishop from STL Blues. Could be done today. #Sens #SNTrade

Not sure I follow...isn't Anderson only going to miss a week or two?

Doesn't Bishop have to play something like 17 games to avoid being a UFA?
St. Louis is allowing the sens to negotiate a deal before the trade is made, likely a 1-year deal

Old
02-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser

Lehner and Bishop would be an awesome tandem going into the future.

Old
02-26-2012, 10:00 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Bruce Garrioch ‏ @SunGarrioch
League sources say Senators closing in on deal for Ben Bishop from STL Blues. Could be done today. #Sens #SNTrade

Not sure I follow...isn't Anderson only going to miss a week or two?

Doesn't Bishop have to play something like 17 games to avoid being a UFA?
They need a good solid back up for Anderson i think this deal would fix that.

Old
02-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Yes, it would. Auld stinks and Lehner as a backup is a waste.

Just thought Bishop would try to get a #1 gig, or at least a 50-50 split, somewhere via the UFA market.

Old
oilersrule14

Quote:
So Bishop is content with being a backup for a few years?
He hasn't proven anything. It's a process to become an NHL starter, no team is going to hand a guy with 7 games of poor NHL performance as experience a starting job. Look at the guy who took his backup spot, Elliot was signed to be a backup and has launched himself into a co-starting role with good play. I imagine that's what Bishop's goal is too, sign as Anderson's backup, and work hard and play well in order to steal starts from Anderson.

Old
Comely

If they trade for him they will likely be waiving Auld I think.

Old
02-26-2012, 10:03 AM
The Hulk

Quote:
So Bishop is content with being a backup for a few years?
if it gets him in the show.. he might be. Because he's relatively unproven, it will take time as a backup before he can be a starter

Old
02-26-2012, 10:04 AM
mkearney913
Bob Ross

Based on his performance with Binghamton in the AHL playoffs (14-4, 2.10 GAA, .939 SV%), Lehner looked ready to be an NHL player. This season, after Bingo's championship team was more or less gutted, his numbers (and his conduct) haven't been quite as stellar (8-16-1, 3.38 GAA, .905 SV%).

Lehner's only 20-years old, and with the Sens playing competitive hockey with Anderson as our number 1, I don't think it makes sense for his development to sit him on the bench, just so he can experience NHL life and coaching. Murray wants him to be a starter, work a starter's workload and get that confidence and mentality about him.

That said though, Anderson's a 1A at best. He's played above his calibre since December for the Sens, and who knows how that'll change once he returns from injury. Furthermore, the Sens can't make the playoffs with Alex Auld in net for 10 games (or however long it takes for Anderson to return).

I think it makes perfect sense to acquire Bishop, sign him for 2 more years and play a 1A, 1B in net while Bishop develops his NHL game. Anderson has a reasonable cap number ($3.18 million) for this scenario too.

Ultimately though, it depends on what it costs to acquire Bishop. I don't want Murray sending a reasonable prospect to St. Louis for this guy. If the price is right though, bring him in.

TL;DR: Lehner needs to develop further, Anderson's playing above his calibre, therefore spend a 3rd on Bishop.

Old
02-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Market Street Heroes

Bishop to the Senators close...

@andystickland:Ottawa closing in on deal to land Ben Bishop from St. Louis...#Sens making sure they can sign him beofre the deal gets completed #Blues

@andystickland:Both sides appear ok with #Sens speaking with Bishop before trade is made. Likely to agree on 1 yr. extension #Blues

Old
02-26-2012, 10:14 AM
The Hulk

Oilers or Senators?

Old
ZetterBurger

What does this have to do with the Oilers?

Old
Saabman0508
Harb Quote Count: 9

Ummmmmmmm...

Old
02-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Street Heroes View Post
@andystickland:Ottawa closing in on deal to land Ben Bishop from St. Louis...#Sens making sure they can sign him beofre the deal gets completed #Blues

@andystickland:Both sides appear ok with #Sens speaking with Bishop before trade is made. Likely to agree on 1 yr. extension #Blues
Ummm...the Ottawa Oilers???

Old
joe89

So I guess they wanna let Lehner percolate some more in the minors? Not too good numbers this season for him, and he doesn't seem to play as much as you think a playoff MVP would.

Old
Market Street Heroes

Early morning typo sorry, you guys are quick, replied before I could edit.

Old
trentmccleary

Shots against: NHL rank

St.Louis = 1st = 26.3
Ottawa = 30th = 32.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
Not getting any of this...

Anderson is 25th in NHL in save percentage. Just because he has 3 years left on his deal does not mean another goalie cannot start to challenge him for starts and take over the #1 job! Anderson's deal is not that expensive(just over $3) so if he starts to split time with another goalie, its not like Ottawa is wasting their money.
07-08 Gerber = 57 / (82 gp), 2.72, .910
08-09 A.Auld = 43 / (82 gp), 2.47, .911
11-12 Anderson = 56 / (63 gp), 2.85, .913

Do you know what is the same about these 3 seasons? ... N-O-T-H-I-N-G!

- Anderson is keeping that SV% up playing every single game against the best competition in the league. Those guys could only muster short streaks of good play, had to be benched for long periods and occasionally had to be sheltered.
- Those guys played on teams at the cap with high priced veteran talent. Anderson is playing on a team that's what? $12M under the cap? It also full of numerous youngsters who've never played a full season before.
- Heck, the year that Gerber started there... he was playing in front of the Stanley Cup Finalists from the previous season. The year Auld played so many games, played under a notoriously defensive coach.

You should go back and look up threads about those goalies during those seasons and Anderson this season... see what "those homer Sens fans" thought about their goaltending back then and how many wanted those goalies back as #1.

Anderson is keeping a young, cheap, offensive, underdog team in games while being an absolute workhorse for us. He's in no danger of losing his #1 position right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball8992 View Post
He's not a great goalie, but anyone simply pointing to his stats don't realize how bad his numbers were pre-december, and clearly don't watch the Sens. He's been great since the new year (was even pretty good when the Sens lost 7 straight). Not saying he's a top 10 goalie, but he's definitely better than his stats suggest. Most consistent goalie Ottawa has had since Hasek.
He and the team turned around well before then. The first 6 games of the season were a cluster**** all over the ice (Anderson played 5 of those).

Full season = 56, 2.85, 0.913
Last 51 games = 51, 2.65, 0.918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
I know at least as much about Anderson as you know about Ben Bishop, hoss... I've seen more than enough of Craig Anderson over the years - including this year - to know that he's nothing special.

He's a third-tier NHL goaltender... he'll win you some games, but he's two big notches below the Luongos and Lundqvists and Rinnes of the league, and a big notch below the Halaks and Quicks and Millers.
You have no idea what you're talking about. He's played almost every game for one of the worst defensive teams in the league and has been of the top-3 reasons they're in a playoff spot right now.

Oh btw, Miller and Halak don't belong in the same tier... not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Your management traded Brian Elliott to acquire Anderson; think they'd like to have that one back, judging by the season Elliott's having?
Nobody who has watched Elliott's first 3 seasons in Ottawa would ever look back. He's a big, slow blocker who doesn't have the talent to be an elite goalie in the league. When he loses confidence he sits deep in his net, while getting picked apart from everywhere in the offensive zone. When he's on, he does an average job of blocking the first shot by challenging the shooter. But he doesn't have great reflexes, technique or determination. It was clear a long time ago that he was going to be decent back up goalie. St.Louis is giving up the least amount of shots in the league, your goalies are benefiting very heavily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
I actually think this would be real good for the Sens who are lacking goalie depth but I don't see them moving a pick for Bishop.

I'd say a straight swap of Bishop for Wiercioch makes the most sense. The Blues aren't aching for more young defensemen but with so many of them on the cusp of the NHL (Cole, Fairchild, etc...) adding a still developing offensive guy could be attractive for them.
Ottawa is aching for young prospect D-men. We'd need to deal from forward now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
While this would make sense from a value standpoint, it does not make much sense for the sens. Although Wiercioch has regressed somewhat, he is our only real PMD prospect left. All our other prospects seem to be rugged, shutdown types. (Wideman, Aneloski and the college guys I do not believe will be able to make the jump)

Although I do realize we have a bigger hole in goal then we do on defense in our system.
Aneloski is an offensive D-man too.

Old
02-26-2012, 10:18 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
So I guess they wanna let Lehner percolate some more in the minors? Not too good numbers this season for him, and he doesn't seem to play as much as you think a playoff MVP would.
Two injuries that I can think of bothered him this year and he never could get into the groove properly at all, I guess the Sens organization wants him to have another year to develop.

Old
02-26-2012, 10:23 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
It would be real smart to get another talented young goalie. While Lehner is very talented, he's still really young and you never know with goalies. The Sens have no one else beside him either. More time in the AHL would not hurt him.

Old
02-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Twist and Shout

This would be a GREAT move for Ottawa. Bishop is a gem.

Old
02-26-2012, 10:27 AM
ARS

According to Garrioch, the deal is done.

Old
02-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Super Six
The Future has CLASS

Quote:
Bruce Garrioch ‏ @SunGarrioch Reply Retweet Favorite Open
Senators gave up a draft pick for Ben Bishop. #Sens #NHL

ohn Shannon ‏ @JSportsnet Reply Retweet Favorite Open
As per @SunGarrioch, the Blues have indeed traded Ben Bishop to Ottawa #SNTrade
3rd rounder probably

Old
02-26-2012, 10:29 AM
guyzeur

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
It would be real smart to get another talented young goalie. While Lehner is very talented, he's still really young and you never know with goalies. The Sens have no one else beside him either. More time in the AHL would not hurt him.

Old
02-26-2012, 10:29 AM
SpezDispenser

Nashville's 3rd rounder is my guess...

Old
02-26-2012, 10:31 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Good pickup for the Sens

Old
02-26-2012, 10:31 AM