HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Trade Deadline Deal/Rumor Discussion--Mods will create thread for Wild Trade(s)

Old
02-27-2012, 09:23 AM
mnwildgophers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Realistically? Depends if the buyer believes he's still a #2 guy. Defensemen are extremely pricy right now, so I can't really imagine any teams that both want and can afford him though. Chicago would be a prime destination, but with the extra year left on his contract (which is a plus for him) I think he's worth more than a first. Fletcher would probably ask for Chicago's 1st plus Clendening, and Chicago would definitely say no to that.

If Lundin is potentially done for the year, I would think we could only really move one of Zanon, Stoner, and Schultz. I think Zanon's the #1 candidate there.
1st round pick would be a nice return, but I'm not sure if that's what I think this team needs. We need more defenseman in the system that can make an impact, but I'd prefer if we traded him, we could get a young defenseman with a higher upside than Schultz.

Chicago is one landing spot, but I would think many playoff teams would like to add depth on the blueline since that seems to lead to success lately. He has another 2 years at $3.5M which isn't terrible.

I think Zanon is going to be gone, wouldn't be surprised at all if that's all that is done for us.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:26 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Sounds like AK46 may be on his way to Nashville. Joke of the day so far:
Nashville wants to do something big, wonder what the return will be for MTL.

I think it may be pretty busy this deadline, or at least I'm hoping so.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:28 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
1st round pick would be a nice return, but I'm not sure if that's what I think this team needs. We need more defenseman in the system that can make an impact, but I'd prefer if we traded him, we could get a young defenseman with a higher upside than Schultz.

Chicago is one landing spot, but I would think many playoff teams would like to add depth on the blueline since that seems to lead to success lately. He has another 2 years at $3.5M which isn't terrible.

I think Zanon is going to be gone, wouldn't be surprised at all if that's all that is done for us.
Clendening would be the centerpiece of that deal. Young defenseman with very high upside. The problem is most teams that would like Schultz don't have that young defenseman prospect that they can part with.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:29 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
If you can trade Nick Schultz for a bag of pucks and get rid of the last two years of his contract, go ahead and do that today #mnwild
^From Mileski. Absolutely, 100% agree.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:30 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Done deal, AK to Nashville

Haven't seen return yet. It's rumored Radulov's NHL rights might be involved.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
^From Mileski. Absolutely, 100% agree.
Because his contract is preventing us from doing... what exactly?

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:33 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Because is contract is preventing us from doing... what exactly?
Nothing. He's just a poor piece to an overall poor back end. He's been stagnant for way too long, since coming into the league actually, and it's time to move on from a player like that. Nick Schultz is the poster boy for this organization. Middling, at best. Just cut ties already.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:36 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Clendening would be the centerpiece of that deal. Young defenseman with very high upside. The problem is most teams that would like Schultz don't have that young defenseman prospect that they can part with.
Yeah I get that, but getting rid of Schultz would leave our blueline very inexperienced, but I suppose it wouldn't be all that complicated to find someone who could be a "leader" for that group next year, not that Schultz is a great "leader" or anything. I'd like to see him moved because he should have plenty of value around the league.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:38 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Nothing. He's just a poor piece to an overall poor back end. He's been stagnant for way too long, since coming into the league actually, and it's time to move on from a player like that. Nick Schultz is the poster boy for this organization. Middling, at best. Just cut ties already.
Scandella - Spurgeon
Falk - Prosser
Stoner - Foster

That could be our defense next year, depending on whether Brodin makes the team or not. I agree, if you get a good offer, it's something to consider, but there is a large difference between Clendening + pick and a 'bag of pucks'

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:40 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Scandella - Spurgeon
Falk - Prosser
Stoner - Foster

That could be our defense next year, depending on whether Brodin makes the team or not. I agree, if you get a good offer, it's something to consider, but there is a large difference between Clendening + pick and a 'bag of pucks'
The thing is, regardless what you get back, Schultz doesn't have an impact one way or another on this defense moving forward. As long as you've got a guy like him playing anything more than #5-6 minutes, it's a lost cause. That blue line is poor whether he's there or not.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Look, just because he's playing decent on a terrible, terrible blue line doesn't mean he's worth keeping.

Frankly, he's making $3.5m and is a fringe 4/5 guy. If you can move him and then overpay for a defenseman at $5m who could be an upgrade, why not? You know what you have in Schultz...no offense, good against the rush, mediocre in his end.

Scandella, Spurgeon, Falk, and Prosser likely aren't going anywhere. That opens up only one spot for Brodin if Schultz is still around. If you can move Schultz, you can shoot for a bigger fish in UFA.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:44 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
The thing is, regardless what you get back, Schultz doesn't have an impact one way or another on this defense moving forward. As long as you've got a guy like him playing anything more than #5-6 minutes, it's a lost cause. That blue line is poor whether he's there or not.
Schultz would be a fantastic partner for Brodin if the kid can make the jump next season. A good steadying presence on the blue line. You need some of that veteran leadership (remember, Schultz does wear the A) to help settle the kids from their ups and downs.

Scandella-Spurgeon
Schultz-Brodin
Falk-Prosser

That's likely what we'll be working with next season.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:46 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Look, just because he's playing decent on a terrible, terrible blue line doesn't mean he's worth keeping.

Frankly, he's making $3.5m and is a fringe 4/5 guy. If you can move him and then overpay for a defenseman at $5m who could be an upgrade, why not? You know what you have in Schultz...no offense, good against the rush, mediocre in his end.

Scandella, Spurgeon, Falk, and Prosser likely aren't going anywhere. That opens up only one spot for Brodin if Schultz is still around. If you can move Schultz, you can shoot for a bigger fish in UFA.
The biggest question is whether you can overpay an upgrade. Suter, Carle, Wideman, and a whole lot of nothing is what's available in free agency this year. Suter's not going to make it to FA, so that leaves Carle and Wideman with 20+ teams looking to sign them.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:47 AM
forthewild

nashville gets kostytsyn for 2nd in 2013 and MTL conditional from hal gill trade

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:47 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Wearing an A means nothing to me. That has more to do with the time he's been here more than anything. Nothing he has ever done/been reported on would ever lead me to believe he's any sort of leader. Hell, not to long ago Russo even admitted as much as he's not at all a vocal guy in the locker room...

Old
02-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't know that he'd be fantastic...he'd be leaning on Brodin like crazy to help breakout the puck and I don't expect Brodin to be physical so that pairing would get shoved around like crazy. A big shutdown guy who has a decent set of hands and can log minutes would be a nice fit.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:52 AM
mnwildgophers

Interesting trade for the Habs, but they need to stockpile up some picks, but a guy like Kostitsyn that seems high considering his point totals (isn't he supposed to be a goal-scoring type?). It should be interesting to see how he pans out with Nashville.

Also, read that we're getting some calls on Harding, deciding whether we want to re-sign or deal him. I'm all for dealing him.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:52 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
nashville gets kostytsyn for 2nd in 2013 and MTL conditional from hal gill trade
So a 40 point, 20 goal scorer is worth a 2nd + 5th?

This leaves Nashville with plenty of ammunition if they want to go after another forward to help retain Suter.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Why would Chicago want Harding tho?
Because Crawford.

Also, here's a tweet about MTL/NSH trade:

Quote:
In return for Kostitsyn, Preds deal 2nd rd pick in 2013 plus return the conditional pick they got in Hal GIll trade
https://twitter.com/#!/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/174157821590511616

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
Rumors floating around saying that P.A. Parentau and Paul Gaustad are available... for 1st round picks.

Not sure that's fair value, especially since we just saw A.K. go for a 2nd.

Today's one of my favorite days of the year! I'll be glued to my computer all day.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:07 AM
El Nino22

Quote:
Wearing an A means nothing to me. That has more to do with the time he's been here more than anything. Nothing he has ever done/been reported on would ever lead me to believe he's any sort of leader. Hell, not to long ago Russo even admitted as much as he's not at all a vocal guy in the locker room...
Per Russo on the possibility of trading Schultz, "This is not an easy decision for the organization because he is one of the most popular teammates I’ve ever covered. As respected as can be, especially by the captain, Mikko Koivu."

I know of course that will mean nothing because you already have it dead set in your mind that you want him gone and dislike him as a player so spin it however you want.

El Nino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:10 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Rumors floating around saying that P.A. Parentau and Paul Gaustad are available... for 1st round picks.

Not sure that's fair value, especially since we just saw A.K. go for a 2nd.

Today's one of my favorite days of the year! I'll be glued to my computer all day.
Not just a 2nd, but a 2013 2nd. Montreal just is not coming out of this deadline as a winner. The price on forwards will go up as the deadline approaches, but I still doubt PAP or Gaustad could net a first.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:13 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

While being popular and respected in the room are important qualities, those aren't the main properties you look for in a leader. Especially when a player's performance on the ice is sub par. Again, he's viewed in that light primary because he's been a mainstay here on the blue line.

It's pretty easy to be steadfast in an opinion of wanting Schultz gone when you see what he provides game in, game out for much of his career.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:19 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
While being popular and respected in the room are important qualities, those aren't the main properties you look for in a leader. Especially when a player's performance on the ice is sub par. Again, he's viewed in that light primary because he's been a mainstay here on the blue line.

It's pretty easy to be steadfast in an opinion of wanting Schultz gone when you see what he provides game in, game out for much of his career.
You look at his contract far too much.

If he were being paid league minimum, you wouldn't have a single complaint about him. The fact of the matter is, we don't need his cap space. In fact, with the cap likely going to up $69MM (less any rollback from CBA changes, which would likely have an accompanying salary rollback) we might need him to be paid that much. We need to spend $10MM on 10 players just to reach the salary floor at this point. If you take away his $3.5MM, that increases to almost $14MM for 11 players. Without anyone of merit to spend on in free agency (if we miss on Parise, there's nothing much there) we'll just end up giving a bad contract to someone else just to make the floor.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Same for me, even more fun than July 1!

Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote