HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline Deal/Rumor Discussion--Mods will create thread for Wild Trade(s)

Old
02-27-2012, 10:45 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
"The veteran, Jared Spurgeon."

The biggest point that can be made about the whole debate. Assuming Zanon and Foster are gone next season, Spurgeon becomes the most experienced defenseman other than Schultz.
Sure, that's viable. And yes, you absolutely do not want to continue to have a blue line headlined by Spurgeon. But really, it is what it is at this point. And frankly if you look at the two, Spurgeon plays much more like the poised vet anyway. If you really need a vet presence, that'll be out there to be had.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:47 AM
El Nino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
If they whiff? In all honestly, so what? What are they losing that isn't easily obtainable from any number of players that they can plug in? Whether it be call-ups or low risk players on the FA market. It isn't as if Schultz is a viable cog in this blue line.

At a certain point, there just needs to be some sort of change. Especially when you have a number of younger players who Yeo seems to favor.
This I do agree with you on 100%. It has become very apparent that Yeo isn't all that high on Schultz. His minutes have not been what I would have expected. Even in the last 5 games there has been twice he was under 17 mins.

El Nino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:53 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
I feel like we're talking in circles.

So you want to dump Schultz, for very little if necessary, because of his bad play and high contract, even though we don't really have anybody in the system who would likely play better and his contract isn't hindering us doing anything? I just don't see what the point would be, unless the return is substantial.
As I've continued to say, I want Schultz gone because he's redundant in an otherwise poor corps. It's really as simple as that. Contract is a very minor concern. If they can get anything of value for him, it should absolutely be done. He's not making or breaking this blue line, he's just an insignificant piece that's holding a spot that needs to be upgraded. Whether it's via trade, call-up, or FA. Don't care. Moving him out creates a hole that needs to be addressed. That's the point. If they strike out in that regards in year #1, well, keep maneuvering to find a way to get it done. Schultz isn't a good enough player to hold off this organization's #6-8 guys anyway. Let alone anyone they'd pick up for cheap off the scrap heap.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:57 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 50
I heard that PHI offered JVR to San Jose for Niemi and the Sharks said no thanks. I would love JVR in Minnesota, with the Lats situation uncertain I think he would be a good pick up. Could he be had for Harding +?

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Allen, Spacek have left ice. Other four D still out taking shots. Meaning? Maybe nothing.
https://twitter.com/#!/ice_chip/stat...75048389763072

Hmm...

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:58 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
As I've continued to say, I want Schultz gone because he's redundant in an otherwise poor corps. It's really as simple as that. Contract is a very minor concern. If they can get anything of value for him, it should absolutely be done. He's not making or breaking this blue line, he's just an insignificant piece that's holding a spot that needs to be upgraded. Whether it's via trade, call-up, or FA. Don't care. Moving him out creates a hole that needs to be addressed. That's the point. If they strike out in that regards in year #1, well, keep maneuvering to find a way to get it done. Schultz isn't a good enough player to hold off this organization's #6-8 guys anyway. Let alone anyone they'd pick up for cheap off the scrap heap.
Yes. We need to move Schultz so we can call up Fredheim.

That's where we're at in defensive depth right now. I wonder how many people around here realize that. We have 7 healthy defensemen with the team, and our next guy in line in Houston is the AHL guy we desperately signed to a contract so that we could have 6 defensemen for a game. But yeah, we better trade Schultz so we can call him up. That's a great idea.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:59 AM
El Nino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
I heard that PHI offered JVR to San Jose for Niemi and the Sharks said no thanks. I would love JVR in Minnesota, with the Lats situation uncertain I think he would be a good pick up. Could he be had for Harding +?
I think that was the other way around. Sharks offered Niemi for JVR and Philly said no. JVR's price tag is going to be quite high. If it was Harding that + would have to be something huge. Remember there was talks of JVR for Schenn+

El Nino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:59 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
If they strike out in that regards in year #1, well, keep maneuvering to find a way to get it done.
How many more years does this team have to throw away?

Wasn't this year supposed to be the "transition year"? Transition into what? A fifth straight year of missing the playoffs because of an inability to fill holes?

I agree with most of the people here that, while Schultz isn't a star, he's better than whatever back-up plan we have. Remember, we wouldn't be replacing him with Falk; we'd be replacing him with whomever in Houston was unable to compete with Falk for a roster spot. Someone who wasn't good enough to play on the worst blue line in the league.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:00 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
If the + is Granlund, sure he could be had for that. I can't see a realistic scenario where the Wild could pick up JVR.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:01 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Yes. We need to move Schultz so we can call up Fredheim.

Yes, sure, at this very moment with this franchise. With injuries and other factors not wanting to rush some players, sure. That wouldn't/shouldn't be the case moving into next season, however. Trading Schultz would have ZERO to do with this season.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:03 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:

Yes, sure, at this very moment with this franchise. With injuries and other factors not wanting to rush some players, sure. That wouldn't/shouldn't be the case moving into next season, however. Trading Schultz would have ZERO to do with this season.
Which means it makes ZERO sense to trade him at this trade deadline. I'm glad we agree on this.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:03 AM
forthewild

stauby gone to mtl

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well next year you have to move at least one of Schultz, Scandella, Spurgeon, Brodin, Falk, or Prosser if you want to upgrade the defense.

Personally I think Schultz is just above Falk, about equal to Prosser overall, and worse than the rest. He's just a "meh" defenseman.

I do think Wild fans have gotten so used to crappy talent that we cling to the mediocre as if it were something special. Schultz is mediocre. We shouldn't be afraid to wave goodbye to mediocre players.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

It's 11 CST so yeah, waivers are through. Bye bye Stauby.

Old
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
stauby gone to mtl
Outstanding, frees up a contract spot

Best of luck to him in Monty. Class act.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:05 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
stauby gone to mtl
Stocking up on bodies for the firesale?

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
forthewild

best of luck to sawdust in MTL

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Which means it makes ZERO sense to trade him at this trade deadline. I'm glad we agree on this.

Value is to be had at the deadline over the offseason. More options are to be had over an offseason which limits value placed on a marginal player like Schultz. Especially with available FA's. So ya, absolutely disagree.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
No need to move him at the deadline, but if there's a good return, why not?

And then package some picks/prospects for a defensive upgrade this summer.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:07 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Well next year you have to move at least one of Schultz, Scandella, Spurgeon, Brodin, Falk, or Prosser if you want to upgrade the defense.

Personally I think Schultz is just above Falk, about equal to Prosser overall, and worse than the rest. He's just a "meh" defenseman.

I do think Wild fans have gotten so used to crappy talent that we cling to the mediocre as if it were something special. Schultz is mediocre. We shouldn't be afraid to wave goodbye to mediocre players.
No, you don't. Also, you're missing a step. You need to find an upgrade to upgrade the defense.

Right now, we can do this, without moving a single player:

UFA-Brodin
Scandella-Spurgeon
Schultz-Prosser
Falk

Well, that was easy, and didn't involve me trading any defensemen for peanuts. If you move Schultz and somehow manage to sign a quality defenseman (good luck with that one) you're completely ****ed if Brodin isn't ready. If Brodin doesn't win a spot out of camp, you're needing Genoway or Cuma or Medvec to secure a position.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:08 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetCluttered View Post
I think that was the other way around. Sharks offered Niemi for JVR and Philly said no. JVR's price tag is going to be quite high. If it was Harding that + would have to be something huge. Remember there was talks of JVR for Schenn+
You got it. My mistake. It was the other way around. Thanks.

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:09 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:

Value is to be had at the deadline over the offseason. More options are to be had over an offseason which limits value placed on a marginal player like Schultz. Especially with available FA's. So ya, absolutely disagree.
You've got that horribly backwards.

Value is far far far higher in the offseason. Why? Because at the deadline, you're lucky if there are two teams that can take his contract. Deadline day is for deadline deals. You don't move a guy with two more years on his contract at the deadline unless you have absolutely no other option.

The idea that Schultz could even remotely come close to having more value today than at the draft is so ludicrous, it's difficult to even reply to that claim.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1100
Montreal.

What are you doing?

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
No, you don't. Also, you're missing a step. You need to find an upgrade to upgrade the defense.

Right now, we can do this, without moving a single player:

UFA-Brodin
Scandella-Spurgeon
Schultz-Prosser
Falk

Well, that was easy, and didn't involve me trading any defensemen for peanuts. If you move Schultz and somehow manage to sign a quality defenseman (good luck with that one) you're completely ****ed if Brodin isn't ready. If Brodin doesn't win a spot out of camp, you're needing Genoway or Cuma or Medvec to secure a position.
We're not putting a rookie on the top pairing off the bat, but is Schultz over Falk really going to be that much of an upgrade on the third pairing?

Old
02-27-2012, 11:10 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Comical.