HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part IX

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2012, 08:55 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Stastny would be nice, but I don't see a hockey trade there, nor do I see the Avs selling. Keeping in mind that they're quite close to the floor, I'd say there's no fit for Stastny.

The options at C look slim. Plekanec, who would be my top choice, has a NTC and don't think he'd waive for WSH. Roy is undersized and injury-prone. Brassard is not that good or experienced.

Suter will cost too much to acquire for a playoff push. Same with Nash.

My personal wish list, somewhat ignoring availability:
MTL C Tomas Plekanec
COL C Ryan O'Reilly
CHI C/W Patrick Sharp
COL D Shane O'Brien
BUF D Robyn Regehr
DAL C Mike Ribeiro
CBJ D Fedor Tyutin
COL C/W T.J. Galiardi

Last edited by ChibiPooky: 02-27-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old
02-27-2012, 08:56 AM
ColincampbellOscopy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Stastny...man...I don't like his game for the salary he brings. Just me tho as he does (outside of this year and perhaps last) put up good points. $6.6 is awful steep for a player trending down like he has. Just not a fan so probably biased here.
Yeah, if you were going to pay for Stastny, you should have paid for Jeff Carter, because he's better and has a better cap number.

Old
02-27-2012, 08:56 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
dale aint playing knuble. trade him and were up to almost $9m in annual cap room.

if he isnt going to play, move him. if schultz is playing and hamrlik not, trade him for the cap space.

unprorated with backstrom allows 6.7m, hamrlik 3.5m and knuble 2m. thats a lot space to bring in a real player. of course a real player is going to cost
Cost it will. I don't want to move our picks. George's moves today, even Steven - no mortgaging the future for future GM's. Move out players for assets then parlayed into players.

Again, I keep Knuble over a 2013 3rd if we are seriously making a cup run. If we NEED his 2M in cap room, obviously move him.

Old
02-27-2012, 08:59 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColincampbellOscopy View Post
Yeah, if you were going to pay for Stastny, you should have paid for Jeff Carter, because he's better and has a better cap number.
For sure. I'd much rather would have Carter than Stastny on my team even if they made the same amount.

Besides like someone else said...doubt Col is selling at this point. They'd want roster players back in trades like that.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I'm likely to be as productive as Jay Onrait today.

Here's the TSN stream: http://veetle.com/index.php/channel/view#4f4b28dbab3fa

Old
02-27-2012, 09:03 AM
txpd

wouldnt you really rather trade knuble for a player that would play? for example knuble to boston for a 3rd pick. then mcphee trades a pick or prospect for sammy pahlsson.
pahlsson gets 15 minutes of ice per game while knuble would be watching and fuming.

if knuble were playing, i would agree with you. i thnk he should be playing. but dale isnt going to use him. its clear.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:03 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Cost it will. I don't want to move our picks. George's moves today, even Steven - no mortgaging the future for future GM's. Move out players for assets then parlayed into players.

Again, I keep Knuble over a 2013 3rd if we are seriously making a cup run. If we NEED his 2M in cap room, obviously move him.
I'd prefer to get any assets for a player who the coach doesn't use to be honest. But I can see a case being made that Knuble as insurance>2013 3rd rounder.

Altho I'd like to actually add futures while addressing needs (by moving Wideman, Knuble, Hamrlik and using some of those assets to get a 2c and vet dman) I realize that it probably isn't possible.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:06 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

I thought we suddenly sat Knuble because he was all but traded - based on timing WRT the deadline approaching. To make sure he stayed healthy of course, and we were tanking with him playing. It was quite a few games admittedly, so am warming to the idea that Dale just doesn't want him around. Dale's excuses that he wasnt scoring whatever rang shallow because he was not being used to score and he had said a month before he was getting quality chances IIRC.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Capsman

Hmmm, putting Backstrom on LTIR and filling his cap space for the remainder of the regular season wouldn't preclude him from coming back for the playoffs, correct?

Old
02-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

McKenzie saying the rumor this morning is that A. Kostitsyn will indeed end up going to Nashville later on today. Unconfirmed.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:13 AM
txpd

Quote:
I thought we suddenly sat Knuble because he was all but traded - based on timing WRT the deadline approaching. To make sure he stayed healthy of course, and we were tanking with him playing. It was quite a few games admittedly, so am warming to the idea that Dale just doesn't want him around. Dale's excuses that he wasnt scoring whatever rang shallow because he was not being used to score and he had said a month before he was getting quality chances IIRC.
the caps had to win those two games. if dale wants to coach in the nhl next season, he needed to win those two games. i doubt seriously that knuble or hamrlik or erskine were scratched to be saved for a trade or that schultz or whoeever else was playing to be showcased for a trade.

hunter put the lineup he wanted on the ice. vokoun getting yanked two games in a row and then benched for the next two didnt do anything for his trade value.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:14 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Hmmm, putting Backstrom on LTIR and filling his cap space for the remainder of the regular season wouldn't preclude him from coming back for the playoffs, correct?
correct, no salary cap in the playoffs

Old
02-27-2012, 09:15 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post

Ok, you just killed my productivity today.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Stastny would be nice, but I don't see a hockey trade there, nor do I see the Avs selling. Keeping in mind that they're quite close to the floor, I'd say there's no fit for Stastny.

The options at C look slim. Plekanec, who would be my top choice, has a NTC and don't think he'd waive for WSH. Roy is undersized and injury-prone. Brassard is not that good or experienced.

Suter will cost too much to acquire for a playoff push. Same with Nash.

My personal wish list, somewhat ignoring availability:
MTL C Tomas Plekanec
COL C Ryan O'Reilly
CHI C/W Patrick Sharp
COL D Shane O'Brien
BUF D Robyn Regehr
DAL C Mike Ribeiro
CBJ D Fedor Tyutin
COL C/W T.J. Galiardi
Who knows, Bob Mckenzie seems to think MTL is the place to keep an eye on.

https://twitter.com/tsnbobmckenzie/s...35964707463168

Last edited by Vladiator16: 02-27-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old
02-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...in-on-the-move

ESPN Cross Checks Blog

Semin on the move?
February, 27, 2012
Feb 27
9:53

From ESPN The Magazine's Craig Custance: I'm hearing that Caps sniper Alexander Semin is as good as gone after this season, so if Caps don't want to let him walk for nothing, they have to at least consider moving him today. Don't think it's likely though.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Sarcasm meter going off - so consensus is Neuvy and Holtby weren't ready to be our tenders this year as George had planned. I thought they were ready personally but thanks for the input. Neuvy demoted this year I think had a hand in his inconsistencies. Same with Holtby, confidence shot from the start when the GM brings in a G ahead of them.

So there is no deal out there that could lure TVo from George. Ok. Let's roll with him then, not Neuvirth, from here on out.
if competition rattles them like that then I have little hope that either are the long term answer.....

to be clear, I dont agree with you that bringing a proven starter is what has caused inconsistant play from the young G's.....I think its just the same thing we have seen over the history of the the NHL....young players are generally less consistant. Which is exactly the reason teams looking to play deep into the spring want vets

Old
02-27-2012, 09:20 AM
tycoonheart

lol, when ISN'T Semin on the move? Personally I think we resign him.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:21 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Renaud P Lavoie |‏ @renhockey | Andrei Kostitsyn learned he's traded to Nashville, but is waiting for official words by #predators or #canadiens

Old
02-27-2012, 09:27 AM
txpd

when a media member says "I'm hearing..." and attaches the capitals to it, i stop paying attention. where is he/she hearing that semin isnt resigning? based on that he throws a hanging slider that he might be traded?

please.

Old
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post

****, Iím sucked in now... and i had such a busy day...

Old
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Im gonna say it, ya gonna make a bold prediction

We will trade for Nash

Im prob wrong but I have a hunch in the back of my mind
I said the same thing a few days back.....just seems like the kind of guy GMGM likes.....word at the draft that year was he was looking to move all three of the Caps 1st rounders to move up to the top of the draft

he is young, good size, and under contract....not saying I want that move, just saying it seems like something he might be kicking the tires on

Old
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
if competition rattles them like that then I have little hope that either are the long term answer.....

to be clear, I dont agree with you that bringing a proven starter is what has caused inconsistant play from the young G's.....I think its just the same thing we have seen over the history of the the NHL....young players are generally less consistant. Which is exactly the reason teams looking to play deep into the spring want vets
Fair enough. I respect your opinion, and agree vet Gs are preferred in the playoffs. And on D too, right? Sometimes a GM has to roll the dice, as George has been doing rolling our young defense. And in the past 3 years of the playoffs, the young G's almost exclusively. Trying a vet G is worth a shot, but I just feel he is as inconsistent as our young G's. Inexcusable if its all about age and experience.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:29 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
when a media member says "I'm hearing..." and attaches the capitals to it, i stop paying attention. where is he/she hearing that semin isnt resigning? based on that he throws a hanging slider that he might be traded?

please.
Agree 100%. There is really zero track record for any rumor about interal Caps front office decisions being leaked. Any time any Caps trade info gets floated, it's coming from the other side, which is why it rarely verifies.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:29 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
I said the same thing a few days back.....just seems like the kind of guy GMGM likes.....word at the draft that year was he was looking to move all three of the Caps 1st rounders to move up to the top of the draft

he is young, good size, and under contract....not saying I want that move, just saying it seems like something he might be kicking the tires on
Nash (or his agent) came out and said they'd veto any move to a team that's not on their list, and the Caps weren't on their list at the time.

Not saying things can't change, and I've learned never to be shocked by anything, but still...

Old
02-27-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
lol, when ISN'T Semin on the move? Personally I think we resign him.
Can't trade him without a scorer coming back. He accounts for too large a percentage of our offense.

I'm not sure what makes the most sense come seasons end about an extension but I guess that will be based upon how far we go (or not) and who the coach (or maybe GM) will be.

Ov has influence in this too, be certain of that. Id also add it probably wouldn't hurt to have him with Kuyza coming over (hopefully) .... Not as a mentor but just a fellow countryman.

Closed Thread