HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part IX

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2012, 09:32 AM
sk84fun_dc

vCash: 500
Semin doesn't have to be moved today even if the plan is to part ways this summer; it's an option to trade his rights or let another team speak to him and then trade his rights in the off-season (with all the caveats about the player, the KHL, etc.)

edit: To state the obvious.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:33 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Seeing Gaustad moved off Hack IncarceratedBobs twitter.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:35 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

**** Semin. Trade his ass.

How people hold on to this hope that his "awesome" secondary scoring is going to make a difference when it really matters is beyond my comprehension.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:35 AM
txpd

young players are inconsistant. its part of growing up. young players that only get to play on an inconsistant basis only makes it worse. even the better veteran goalies play better when they are the starter than only on occasion as a backup.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:37 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Ok we keep Vokoun no matter the offer, case closed.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:38 AM
Devil Dancer

Well, this has certainly been a slow start.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:40 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Wiki shows Andrei Kostitsyn playing for EDIT Nashville. I know they are quick to update their site so I am keeping a wiki eye out during slow times

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Kostitsyn

It did say Boston a moment ago. Damn hackers.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:41 AM
G3 LesPaul

I can see:

Out:
Knuble
Hammer
Vokoun
Erskine
Maybe sarge but doubt it
Maybe Wideman

In:
Roy or another 2nd line center
Another D man top 4 maybe
Another goalie

Old
02-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Fair enough. I respect your opinion, and agree vet Gs are preferred in the playoffs. And on D too, right? Sometimes a GM has to roll the dice, as George has been doing rolling our young defense. And in the past 3 years of the playoffs, the young G's almost exclusively. Trying a vet G is worth a shot, but I just feel he is as inconsistent as our young G's. Inexcusable if its all about age and experience.
of course.....to me saying that the 2 young G arent playing as well this season is because of bringing in Vokoun is not much different than blaming 74's stuggles on bringing in Hamrlik. These guys are young and trying to become solid NHL regulars....They have had to compete for roster spots on different teams since they were little kids...I just dont buy that it rattles them so much that they cant get it out of their heads and in turn dont play as well. Not saying thats never the case.....but when it is, that player isnt likely to make it anyway.

Vokoun having a poor season doesnt really factor into it IMO, thats a seperate issue. These guys (young G's) played poor from the start. Unless they are soothsayers how did they know Vokoun would have an off year all season...way back in October

Old
02-27-2012, 09:43 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
**** Semin. Trade his ass.

How people hold on to this hope that his "awesome" secondary scoring is going to make a difference when it really matters is beyond my comprehension.
Strung,

Please tell me how you REALLY feel about Sasha Semin? Can't decide who hates him more..you or Drake.

I totally disagree. I think he is highly underrated by Caps fans and even moreso by fans of other teams.

Sure he is streaky but so are most scorers. Guys that score 25+ goals for five years straight don't grow on trees.

Does he take some penalties? Sure. But 90% of them are penalties of agression where he is trying to get the puck away from an opposing player.

I think if/when he leaves it will be a case of "you don't know what you have until its gone"

Old
02-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Ryan Rishaug reports the Oilers are probably not trading Sam Gagner.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I think if/when he leaves it will be a case of "you don't know what you have until its gone"
Let me quantify that for you... $6.7M in cap space.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Devil Dancer

TSN now saying AK to Nashville, to be reunited with his brother. The move to Nashville did wonders for Sergei, so maybe Andre will see renaissance there as well.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

McKenzie, quoting LeBrun I think: Kostitsyn traded for 2013 second-rounder pick, returned the conditional pick from the Hal Gill deal.

Original tweet: Pierre LeBrun ‏| @Real_ESPNLeBrun | In return for Kostitsyn, Preds deal 2nd rd pick in 2013 plus return the conditional pick they got in Hal GIll trade

Old
02-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Wiki shows Andrei Kostitsyn playing for EDIT Nashville. I know they are quick to update their site so I am keeping a wiki eye out during slow times

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Kostitsyn

It did say Boston a moment ago. Damn hackers.
AK to Nashville i a done deal.

edit: late

Old
02-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Well, this has certainly been a slow start.
It's like this every year. Only two trades before noon last year.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:47 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
of course.....to me saying that the 2 young G arent playing as well this season is because of bringing in Vokoun is...r

What's your best guess of why both Nuevy and Holtby are struggling this year. Young still? They were younger last year. And even younger the years before when we became enamored with them.

Obviously you dispute my theory and that's fine, its just a hunch. Until I hear a more plausible explanation, I won't easily rule out my own thoughts.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:48 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Let me quantify that for you... $6.7M in cap space.
Hemsky (who's half the player) is gonna make $5 mil. Scorers are rare and are gonna get paid.

If you lose him then you use all that money to replace him and probably won't be getting a player as good.

With Kuznetsov uncertain I think the Caps really have to consider bringing him back.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:49 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

My final predictions:

Hamrlik to St. Louis for Colaiacovo

Wideman for a 1st and a forward (Galiardi or Frolik?). This can be spun as acquiring scoring depth up front rather than selling because we acquired Cola, an offensive dman.

Vokoun for Philly's first. Spin is that we're comfortable w Neuvirth as the starter.

Knuble to Boston or SJ for a pick or prospect.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:51 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
My final predictions:

Wideman for a 1st and a forward (Galiardi or Frolik?). This can be spun as acquiring scoring depth up front rather than selling because we acquired Cola, an offensive dman.

Vokoun for Philly's first. Spin is that we're comfortable w Neuvirth as the starter.

That wouldn't be bad at all (not optimal but we do seem to have a net gain of futures which I like) altho I don't think Philly is gonna give up their 1st and I don't think that 2 good games by Neuvirth means that we are trading Vokoun.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Strung,

Please tell me how you REALLY feel about Sasha Semin? Can't decide who hates him more..you or Drake.

I totally disagree. I think he is highly underrated by Caps fans and even moreso by fans of other teams.

Sure he is streaky but so are most scorers. Guys that score 25+ goals for five years straight don't grow on trees.

Does he take some penalties? Sure. But 90% of them are penalties of agression where he is trying to get the puck away from an opposing player.

Totally agree. Certain people have this prism on their TV screen that distorts his image, so when he plays hard they see lazy, when he takes a penalty of aggression, they see a lazy penalty, or when he initiates a play leading to a goal he disappears off the screen.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:58 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

We can't trade Semin you idiots. He has 1 more goal than Jason Chimera. Do you know how big a deal that is?????

Old
02-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
My final predictions:

I was thinking Wideman, Hamrlik, and Knuble all to the Blues for Tarasenko, Colaiacovo, and some bit part player like Sobotka.

And getting Tarasenko allows McPhee to feel ok about dealing one of the 1sts this year for a scoring line center.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Mothra

Quote:
What's your best guess of why both Nuevy and Holtby are struggling this year. Young still? They were younger last year. And even younger the years before when we became enamored with them.

Obviously you dispute my theory and that's fine, its just a hunch. Until I hear a more plausible explanation, I won't easily rule out my own thoughts.
youth is my guess....thats what history tells me. If its because they brought in Vokoun....thats a problem IMO.

and I agree that goalies (and all players) want more ice time/starts. Sure....easier to get into a groove and find your game. Problem is...it doesnt work that way. If youre Holtby you cant say "sorry im not very good in the AHL this season...but if you give me 25 NHL starts I'm sure I'll play better". Same with Nuevirth...."I know I havent stopped the puck consistantly but if you play me 50+ games I promise I'll do better"

Old
02-27-2012, 09:59 AM
txpd

eww, seriously, that is so gross......aaaahhhhh....anyway....everytime i see someone hoping and praying the caps dispatch semin as soon as possible, i think about how easy it is to find scoring in this league.

mcphee already gave away fleischmann, who most applauded after months and years of hoping mcphee would finally ditch boudreau's pet player. it may be worse with semin gone.

but only time will tell that story

Closed Thread