HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part IX

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2012, 06:51 PM
amjay13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
I look at the list of guys moved today, and see a bunch that wouldn't help our team.

Gaustad got a 1st. What do you think it would have taken to get Gagner, Pleks, or Stastny? More than anyone here would want to give up.

Backstrom comes back, and we are a contender. He doesn't, and I don't think Pleks or Gagner would have put us in contention.

I think they know Backstrom is done, so no point in moving guys.

Knuble wouldn't have fetched much. Hamrlik would be nice off the books, but I bet teams all balked at that extra year as much as we do.

He stayed put, I'm fine with it.
If they know Backstrom is done, why wouldn't they trade Wideman?

Old
02-27-2012, 06:52 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
Because Ted raised ticket prices.

Old
02-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBjoern View Post
So is the trade deadline day over as far as Caps are concerned? Did we really do nothing at all?
Thats correct. The management didn't want to spoil chemistry of the team.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Langway
Intangibles

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-day-rumblings
Quote:
Similarly, kudos to Washington Capitals GM George McPhee. I know what youíre saying, why exactly? Because he took a knee. Thatís why. This just isnít their year. One big trade isnít going to put the Caps over the top and make them contenders. One big trade isnít going to clear star center Nicklas Backstrom of his concussion symptoms. McPhee did the hardest thing of all, resist the short-term fix. That takes guts.

Sure, McPhee took calls on veteran blueliner Roman Hamrlik, but couldnít find the right fit. He wanted a young forward in return. The teams that were interested in Hamrlik couldnít afford him that. He wasnít interested in just getting futures for Hamrlik because he didnít want to just get rid of a salary. He was trying to make a hockey deal, player for player. He toed the line of a team that hasnít given up on the season because the playoffs are a possibility, and that of a team that wasnít a move or two away from winning the Cup.

In other words, McPhee made the right call to stay quiet.
Ugh.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:01 PM
SpringfieldSkins

Followed this thread from my phone most of the day while I was at work hoping that I'd see an awesome move from GMGM. Hoping that we'd pick up a good 2C or even 1C since Backstrom is gone (at least until the playoffs, but I don't expect him back this season at all).

We didn't make any moves.

Honestly though, it didn't look like there were any moves made that left me with the feeling of "Damn, I wish GMGM pulled the trigger on that one".

I'm glad that we didn't make a move for the sake of making a move although I wish that we picked up a decent C.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:03 PM
Capitlols

Oh I agree its not the year to go for broke, but get something for the healthy scratches(Knuble, Hamrlik). Mind boggling that they're still here.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:11 PM
IceBjoern

I don't get it... The season is all but over, Caps won't be successful in the playoffs, if they reach it that is, and we do nothing at all?

I'm not a GM, but this just doesn't make any sense...

Old
02-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
no thats not what im saying at all, there would obviously be additions to chimera
who? and again....just throwing "additions" doesnt make it a better trade for Van. Sounds like a quantity for quality trade you are talking about.

Clearly they wanted a young, skilled, physical player....not a well paid 3rd liner and a 2nd tier prospect

Old
02-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Capitlols

Neil Greenberg ‏ @ngreenberg Close
"teams interested in Hamrlik couldn’t afford [GMGM a young fwd]."

Wow a 2nd would of sufficed.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:14 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

The one deal I would have liked to see the Caps in on that they didn't get was Carter, and I know I might be in the minority given what he returned. I don't know what the Caps' version of JJ is (Carlson is better value but not as hyped) but I would have paid quite a lot to get that strength at center, even despite his warts.

I might have paid what ended up being the price for Vermette or Kostitsyn, as well, just to add some punch. But neither of those guys are "the answer" (Kostitsyn especially, being a UFA) and I don't blame GMGM for not being the highest bidder in any of those cases, I think.

I'd like to have had Hodgson but the Caps don't have the players to match that package (unless you're looking at, what, Brouwer+Orlov? No thanks). And he wouldn't be "the answer" either.

Would have liked to see Hamrlik moved but can trust GMGM that the offers weren't good enough or whatever. Whatever the market for him is now, it's probably not going to be much worse in the summer hopefully.

Would have liked to see Knuble moved, if only for his sake, but the return would have been pretty minimal and with the expanded rosters from here on he's not blocking anyone.

I personally would have moved Wideman but can't blame GMGM for not pulling the trigger and weakening the offense without bolstering it elsewhere.

I guess I figure this team needs a pretty large makeover to really be solid (or a time machine) so wait til the summer, burn it to the ground, and see what you can bring back up from the ashes. Or something. Just please stop being so boring.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:23 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Okay I got one ******* rant in me.

It's not my job to know if backstrom is done. And while concussions are mostly an unknown, there has been little indication that he'll be back soon. So..... Don't give me that "if nick comes back we compete with anyone in east" BS! Cause if you think strongly he will, you buy some depth offense.

If you think no.... There is no way on god's green earth you'll compete for the ecf.

Soooooo you sell SOMETHING you have as value.... Heck you know what the prices are! You know who's out there buying.

Such a -******* inept manager and broad thinker. I've said it time and time again about him. His vision is for crap. He's not a coward....

He's a moron.... and a coward.

Everyone on this team.... From Ted, to gmgm, to bb, to the players are all about themselves. (not enough info on 1yr hunter). Yeah they'll show what's best for the org. But push comes to shove.... The org (and fans) loses every time.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:24 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
isnt that awful? these media people dont know anything because they arent in the sport...eh?

Old
02-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Capitlols

Carter would have been my ideal choice. Kings essentially traded a protected 1st and puck moving d-man(terrible defensively); that's the equivalent of our 2012/2013 1st + Carlson/Orlov and maybe another small piece(Eakin?).

Old
02-27-2012, 07:40 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post

It's not my job to know if backstrom is done. And while concussions are mostly an unknown, there has been little indication that he'll be back soon. So..... Don't give me that "if nick comes back we compete with anyone in east" BS! Cause if you think strongly he will, you buy some depth offense.

If you think no.... There is no way on god's green earth you'll compete for the ecf.

Soooooo you sell SOMETHING you have as value.... Heck you know what the prices are! You know who's out there buying.

Such a -******* inept manager and broad thinker. I've said it time and time again about him. His vision is for crap. He's not a coward....

Everyone on this team.... From Ted, to gmgm, to bb, to the players are all about themselves. (not enough info on 1yr hunter). Yeah they'll show what's best for the org. But push comes to shove.... The org (and fans) loses every time.
Good stuff...

Old
02-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Ovechkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I like how George McPhee is just above "this just isn't their year" which sums up ever year under his leadership.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

If it's not our year, why didn't we trade that PIECE OF **** WIDEMAN!?

Old
Ovechkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post

I think the problem is that Ted is like the guy who just got a bunch of money and wants to buy his way into high society. He doesn't know sports based on the face that he's kept both of Abe's failed general managers. He wants more than anything for people to think he knows what he's doing, but it looks like he basically just takes their word for it and lets them do whatever they want. That is why both of his teams are in a bad spot.

Old
Mothra

There are posters that just hate GMGM....its that simple. Im convinced, short of highway robbery type of trade anything he does/doesnt do today would be bashed...

"no moves, what a coward"

"he traded player X for player Y! what a terrible move....he would have been better off doing nothing"

people seriously said in this thread he should be "fired on the spot" for not making trades today. Someone with that outlook will never agree with anything he does short of getting 99 in his prime for a 5th round pick......even then im not convinced they would like that move.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:48 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
Because it is a business. If they don't make the playoffs they lose a lot of money. Wideman on the team helps them make it.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:49 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Wait, GMGM wouldn't take futures for Hamrlik? WTF?

I honestly don't know how anyone could support his inactivity today. Have you not been watching for the past 3 months? This team has been in badly need of a change. Some shuffling of the chemistry.

As many of you know, I've historically been a vocal GMGM supporter and defender on here, and I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, because he still had time to do something.

But not now. Not anymore. He blew it. He did nothing to help this team right now or in the future. I've spent a metric ****-ton of time and money on this team, and the GM sits in his Kettler perch with his thumb up his ass while teams offer him futures for a terrible over 35 contract of a player that's now at odds with the coach? **** that. I am, for the first time, seriously considering not renewing my season tickets.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:49 PM
G3 LesPaul

See I think we go far this year, if we make the playoffs. Just my feeling

I believe in this team

Old
02-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
If it's not our year, why didn't we trade that PIECE OF **** WIDEMAN!?
what kind of return is a "PIECE OF ****" getting these days? just curious....sounds like you want a nice return for a player you think stinks

more HF nitwittery

Old
02-27-2012, 07:52 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Yeah. Having multiple picks is a bad idea. Like 2004. Or 2006.

But, I guess your point stands. McPhee had a ****** draft in 2007.
04- OV was a 1st pick which we won't have, Schultz hasn't exactly been a slam dunk, Green worked out

06- Backstrom was a top 4 slam dunk which we won't get. Varly isn't on the team and we got extremely lucky getting a 1st back for him.

07- nothing

My point is, the 1st round isn't suppose to be deep. Draft picks can take years or never work out. Wideman is an all-star. We should keep him if we can fit him on the books.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:53 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Whyno: "gmgm decided this team wasn't worth gambling on."

Have to see exact quotes from gmgm.... But standing still IS the biggest gamble. Doing nothing is a gamble unless you've spent the last 3 months prep'n your inept boss on you list of excuses.... And you didn't want to change.

Ted: so george, what's your root cause failure analysis for this season and what are the root and contributing factors.

Gmgm: shows Ted this nice picture his kid drew of zombies wearing 52, 19, 8, 28, and 22...

Ted pauses.... And what's your 3 step plan for mitigating these circumstances?

Gmgm: 1. I'm going to propose that Gary outlaw injuries next cba.
2. That Gary implements "female co-Ed rules" for caps and all of our goals are worth 2.

Ted.... And???

Gmgm: 3. AOL discs to all season tickets holders..

Ted: we don't do that anymore...

Gmgm: and their friends on Facebook....

Ted: bravo!!!!!!! George.... Way to think web2.0! Tell AGM he's now koko and soup for you!

Old
02-27-2012, 07:56 PM
bonzaibondra12

I didn't hear that GMGM was offered futures for Hamrlik. That changes my mind. WTF was he thinking. That salary off the books for a body? Dumb.

Closed Thread