HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part IX

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Capitlols

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Not a fan of Gagner--unless you're getting Kane and Kostitsyn along with him.

If Plekanec or Getzlaf aren't possible, I think I like Hodgson the best among center targets going forward.
Agreed, I'd add Roy to your list.

I also think Gagner would be very expensive considering his youth and him being Edmonton's only top 6 center.

Old
02-26-2012, 12:49 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Agreed, I'd add Roy to your list.

I also think Gagner would be very expensive considering his youth and him being Edmonton's only top 6 center.
Only? RNH is already better than him

Old
02-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilYoung View Post
Only? RNH is already better than him
lol whoops forgot about him.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:11 PM
CrashTheNet9

RNH needs to bulk up so he doesn't continue to get hurt.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:14 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Yes, and he played very well for Dale.
Which is why he went 6th overall in 2007.
Patrick Kane is why he went 6th overall.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:31 PM
HOLDITHERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Ummmm... why?

And Alzner is definitely more untouchable than Green..
Nothing to do with him on the ice, I just can't stand to look at the guy.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Thoughts on putting in a claim on Clitsome? Would provide added depth in order to move Wideman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Accoin sent down....

Is it finally happening?

Aucoin gets sent down any time we're not playing. After he spends 30 days on the active roster, he has to clear waivers to be demoted. So they send him down on off days. Nothing to see here.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:25 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsoph View Post
I don't understand why you guys feel half the roster is untouchable. Seems like Caps fans get a little soft on their players. I think the only guys that shouldn't even be options are Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green, and Neuv. Carlson, Alzner, Orlov? Untouchable? Really? For a young, solid 1/2C I'd let any one of them go.

Here's hoping we resign Semin and Wideman and get rid of Vokoun, Hammer, Eakin, and Knubes in the next 24
I'm with you. What most of these guys who wanted to sell the farm 2 days ago can't let go Of is the shiny new toys. Orlovs value couldnt be much higher now for the right C.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:00 PM
artilector

Gagner does not seem like a good target to me. Fairly unproven/young, softish, not clear how much of a long term upgrade over Johansson.

If we're gonna part with a top young D, I'd rather it be for a more well-rounded, established guy like Plekanec.. Don't think we want any more projects for the 2C spot.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:04 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Gagner is not a project, nor is he due 25 mil over the next 5 years.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Gagner does not seem like a good target to me. Fairly unproven/young, softish, not clear how much of a long term upgrade over Johansson.

If we're gonna part with a top young D, I'd rather it be for a more well-rounded, established guy like Plekanec.. Don't think we want any more projects for the 2C spot.

I agree though I'd strongly consider Mojo for Gagner straight up.

I wouldn't trade Green, Alzner, Carlson or Orlov. There's no reason to. A good team needs those players.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:16 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:

This. Plekanec is a proven commodity that brings more, and I have a feeling the asking price would be less than Gagner.

Gagner has been a 40 pt guy every yr, has 0 playoff experience, and an RFA.

You take Plekanec if it is an option.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:18 PM
artilector

If Gagner is a proven 2C, then:
a) it makes very little sense for Edmonton to trade him
b) he'll ask for a 2C salary, anyway

..in any case, I'm not convinced that he's a good 2C fit for the Caps.

Old
GrinningBuddha

Hi guys, I just wanted to contribute a bit on Gagner from an Oiler fan perspective. Sam has struggled until recently with the role the Oilers have put him in due to lack of other options. He's been playing in the NHL since he was 19 and has turned a corner in his play style and effectiveness since January 1st. I'm not even referencing the Chicago game specifically, though that gives you a glimpse at the potential that is in this 22 year old kid.

Sam seems to have been able to learn a lot from Horcoff (yeah, I know, save the laughter) and Nugent-Hopkins this season and is making smarter plays with and without the puck. If you were to look at game film from January 2011 and compare it to game film from this January, you'd notice a marked difference in his play. The changes that he's made bode well for the future, as even we as Oiler fans were starting to wonder if his development had become stunted due to the pressure of playing with the big club since day 1.

If you're looking for a smart, fast, hard-working 2C, you could do a LOT worse than Gagner. That said, my feeling is that Edmonton will not trade him for anything less than a starting top-4 D man under the age of 28. Talented centers are hard to come by, as both of our teams have come to realize.

Personally, I'd be happy with a Gagner-Orlov swap, but it's not ideal for us. Losing Gagner creates a big hole, which is why I don't think he goes anywhere unless it's a no-brainer offer.

Old
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Gagner is not a project, nor is he due 25 mil over the next 5 years.
Gagner's never hit 50 points in a season. And he'll likely get at least $3.5M going forward.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:20 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrinningBuddha View Post
Hi guys, I just wanted to contribute a bit on Gagner from an Oiler fan perspective. Sam has struggled until recently with the role the Oilers have put him in due to lack of other options. He's been playing in the NHL since he was 19 and has turned a corner in his play style and effectiveness since January 1st. I'm not even referencing the Chicago game specifically, though that gives you a glimpse at the potential that is in this 22 year old kid.

Sam seems to have been able to learn a lot from Horcoff (yeah, I know, save the laughter) and Nugent-Hopkins this season and is making smarter plays with and without the puck. If you were to look at game film from January 2011 and compare it to game film from this January, you'd notice a marked difference in his play. The changes that he's made bode well for the future, as even we as Oiler fans were starting to wonder if his development had become stunted due to the pressure of playing with the big club since day 1.

If you're looking for a smart, fast, hard-working 2C, you could do a LOT worse than Gagner. That said, my feeling is that Edmonton will not trade him for anything less than a starting top-4 D man under the age of 28. Talented centers are hard to come by, as both of our teams have come to realize.

Personally, I'd be happy with a Gagner-Orlov swap, but it's not ideal for us. Losing Gagner creates a big hole, which is why I don't think he goes anywhere unless it's a no-brainer offer.
No way on a Gagner-Orlov swap.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, take out his fluke game, and Gagner's got two fewer points than Johansson.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:22 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
This. Plekanec is a proven commodity that brings more, and I have a feeling the asking price would be less than Gagner.

Gagner has been a 40 pt guy every yr, has 0 playoff experience, and an RFA.

You take Plekanec if it is an option.
Plakanec would cost you a hell of a lot more.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:22 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I agree though I'd strongly consider Mojo for Gagner straight up.
I guess.. though it's not clear why the Oilers would want to do it..

Old
02-26-2012, 03:26 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Mojo for Gagner straight up? Seriously?

They're likely to offer similar production, but Mojo's better defensively and will make a lot less.

Old
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Plakanec would cost you a hell of a lot more.
I doubt it, you are paying for a 6th overall pick, 8 pt game, potential and age in Gagner.

Plekanec is at his ceiling, 29, and signed long term. Not something people look for at the deadline. Which is why I'd be surprised if they trade him at it.

Old
Atlas

Quote:
I guess.. though it's not clear why the Oilers would want to do it..

Agree. And Oilers fans don't seem too concerned about losing Gagner. That's a red flag.

I have Mojo pegged as a 3rd line winger long-term. I'd be happy to be wrong but that's what I see. That's about in line with where he was drafted.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:27 PM
GrinningBuddha

Quote:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, take out his fluke game, and Gagner's got two fewer points than Johansson.
Gagner GP (minus Chicago game as you insist): 53
Johansson GP: 60

Old
02-26-2012, 03:28 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrinningBuddha View Post
Gagner GP (minus Chicago game as you insist): 53
Johansson GP: 60
Sure, so what? Assume he produces at that same rate, and it puts him at 36 points in 60 games. 2 more than Johansson. Difference is, Gagner's a 5th year player and Johansson's a second year player.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:35 PM
artilector

Quote:

It's tough to argue against that. But playing devil's advocate a bit, the Caps do need a center that can elevate the play of Ovechkin and Semin -- and based on what we saw from Johansson this season, this is still a big question mark. It's possible that Gagner's playmaking skills could be enough of an upgrade to make a significant difference there..

Old
02-26-2012, 03:36 PM
GrinningBuddha

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that Gagner is way better than Johansson, I'm just saying that going on Gagner's stats up to this point can be a bit misleading. I'm perfectly happy to keep him around and see him develop even more. If most GMs share the same thoughts as most of the Caps fans, Gagner will continue to be an important piece of the Oiler rebuild.

That said, let's see who gets more points for the rest of the season. MoJo is your #1C now, yes?

Closed Thread