HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part IX

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2012, 03:42 PM
  #101
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 21,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrinningBuddha View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that Gagner is way better than Johansson, I'm just saying that going on Gagner's stats up to this point can be a bit misleading. I'm perfectly happy to keep him around and see him develop even more. If most GMs share the same thoughts as most of the Caps fans, Gagner will continue to be an important piece of the Oiler rebuild.

That said, let's see who gets more points for the rest of the season. MoJo is your #1C now, yes?
Oh, I agree. Gagner's point totals are very misleading. 17 of his points were in one five game stretch. 23 points in the other 48 games.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 03:47 PM
  #102
MW6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Halland
Country: Sweden
Posts: 922
vCash: 500
I'd rather go after Brassard than Gagner. His value is probably not as high as Gagner now either which probably makes him cheaper.
He's bigger than Plekanec, Gagner and Roy and has 90-some hits. Not good at the dot though, and not as many points as the above mentioned. But he's a great playmaker and doesn't shy away from driving the net.

MW6 is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 03:53 PM
  #103
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust
 
Raikkonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Russia
Posts: 4,088
vCash: 500
Adding another top-6 player (Gagner, Roy, Plekanec, Brassard or whoever) will help the team automatically.

We just need to trade something that IS NOT IN TOP-6 already.

For example:

Hamrlik + #1 for Gagner

Raikkonen is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 04:11 PM
  #104
bonzaibondra12
Registered User
 
bonzaibondra12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 1,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Adding another top-6 player (Gagner, Roy, Plekanec, Brassard or whoever) will help the team automatically.

We just need to trade something that IS NOT IN TOP-6 already.

For example:

Hamrlik + #1 for Gagner
No way EDM does that.

bonzaibondra12 is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 04:11 PM
  #105
Halpysback*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,927
vCash: 500
Agreed on preferring Brassard to Gagner, but his value must be pretty high right now considering him and Johansen are the only 2 nhl caliber centers left in CLB.

Really not sold on Gagner despite the 8 point game. Too decidedly average too much of the time.

Halpysback* is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 04:17 PM
  #106
Bure
Registered User
 
Bure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,563
vCash: 500
There's no reason for edm to add a 35+ contract.

Bure is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 04:20 PM
  #107
Langway
Death/Taxes/Choking
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,162
vCash: 50
I wouldn't move Johansson in a deal for a more establishing scoring-line center but I believe it would be him and not Perreault that would be impacted positionally by a center acquisition. Johansson has done pretty well on the wing anyway in limited duty and that switch would boost the top six skill further.

Since 1/20 in 17 games with more regular TOI Perreault has a stat line of 7+5=12, +8. In 26 games with >10 min. TOI this season he has a line of 10+8=18, +13. Long-term it should be a matter of refining the spark he has shown. Becoming a bit of a better skater would be helpful. In terms of raw skills and instincts, he stepped it up lately quite nicely.

</chsb>

Langway is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 04:22 PM
  #108
edamer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
as the oiler fan wrote, they will at least be asking for orlov. "hamrlik + draft pick" is not realistic. you have to give to get, and you have to see what needs the other team has as well as you own team. i'd say gagner for orlov is fair, but that doesn't mean i would take it. i really hope gmgm is going nuts on the phone looking for a center upgrade.

edamer is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 04:26 PM
  #109
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
I wonder what the price is for Brassard. I really hope McPhee is considering it; there's a lot of potential there.

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 04:27 PM
  #110
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 16,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I wouldn't move Johansson in a deal for a more establishing scoring-line center but I believe it would be him and not Perreault that would be impacted positionally by a center acquisition. Johansson has done pretty well on the wing anyway in limited duty and that switch would boost the top six skill further.

Since 1/20 in 17 games with more regular TOI Perreault has a stat line of 7+5=12, +8. In 26 games with >10 min. TOI this season he has a line of 10+8=18, +13. Long-term it should be a matter of refining the spark he has shown. Becoming a bit of a better skater would be helpful. In terms of raw skills and instincts, he stepped it up lately quite nicely.

</chsb>
I've been pretty damn impressed with Perreault and would actively like to not trade him. And Perreault has definitely shown a lot more at C than Johansson. The kid has moxie. I don't know if I like him long term as C, but I've been pretty damn impressed. He's one of the very few players who have taken this season's crisis as an opportunity to step up and show something.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 04:30 PM
  #111
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I've been pretty damn impressed with Perreault and would actively like to not trade him. And Perreault has definitely shown a lot more at C than Johansson. The kid has moxie. I don't know if I like him long term as C, but I've been pretty damn impressed. He's one of the very few players who have taken this season's crisis as an opportunity to step up and show something.

Agree. I don't take Perreault as the long-term answer at 2C but he's the best we have and could be a depth C for the long-term. I mean, he's tradable but there's no reason to give him away for nothing.

Atlas is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 04:45 PM
  #112
MW6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Halland
Country: Sweden
Posts: 922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Agreed on preferring Brassard to Gagner, but his value must be pretty high right now considering him and Johansen are the only 2 nhl caliber centers left in CLB.

Really not sold on Gagner despite the 8 point game. Too decidedly average too much of the time.
True, didn't think of that. They do have Umberger that can play C though. And Letestu, Pahlsson, MacKenzie for the bottom-6.

What do you think it'd take? MoJo+? Something around Nuevy?

MW6 is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 05:35 PM
  #113
sunnydaycrash
Registered User
 
sunnydaycrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW6 View Post
True, didn't think of that. They do have Umberger that can play C though. And Letestu, Pahlsson, MacKenzie for the bottom-6.

What do you think it'd take? MoJo+? Something around Nuevy?
I think Eakin and a pick would do it

sunnydaycrash is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 05:45 PM
  #114
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 29,051
vCash: 500
Gagner is better than Brassard and a lot younger.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 05:48 PM
  #115
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
I think Eakin and a pick would do it

What does Eakin project as?

I know he struggled to keep up early this year. He skates well and plays hard, right? What does he have to improve on? Will he be a good, defensively sound 3rd liner? Is he a C or a winger?

I have Eakin ahead of Perreault as far as long-term value for the Caps (and I like Perrault). But I might be mistaken.

I am even higher on Galiev. I have heard rave reviews about him from various sources. I hope he gets every chance to play in Hershey and Washington.

Atlas is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 05:51 PM
  #116
MW6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Halland
Country: Sweden
Posts: 922
vCash: 500
How's this for a trade deadline day?

Knuble + Hamrlik - Bickell + 3rd

Vokoun + Ward - Kulemin

B's 2nd - Jarret Stoll

Johansson + Chi's 3rd - Brassard

Wideman - Rome + 1st

Play out the rest of this season with (ideally)

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kulemin
Laich-Brassard-Semin
Chimera-Stoll-Brouwer
Hendricks-Halpern-Bickell
Perreault-Beagle

If Backstrom is out, Brassard moves up and MP takes the 2C spot.

Alzner-Carlson
Schultz-Green
Rome-Orlov
Marshall/Kundratek

Neuvirth - Holtby

Move Schultz at the draft and use the capspace to go after a shutdown D-man to pair with Green, either from FA (Suter, Stuart etc.) or use one some of the picks/prospects and trade for one.

Wsh 1st, Col 1st, Van 1st, Eakin, Kuznetsov, Galiev should get you something.


Last edited by MW6: 02-26-2012 at 06:17 PM.
MW6 is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 05:57 PM
  #117
sunnydaycrash
Registered User
 
sunnydaycrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
What does Eakin project as?

I know he struggled to keep up early this year. He skates well and plays hard, right? What does he have to improve on? Will he be a good, defensively sound 3rd liner? Is he a C or a winger?

I have Eakin ahead of Perreault as far as long-term value for the Caps (and I like Perrault). But I might be mistaken.

I am even higher on Galiev. I have heard rave reviews about him from various sources. I hope he gets every chance to play in Hershey and Washington.
Not really sure where he projects but my guess without knowing where Brassard would be on a decent team is that Eakin will be better in the long run..... That's what worries me..... The desperation for a 2c could bite us in the rear in the long run .....as for Galiev, he may be a diamond in the rough and it wouldn't surprise me if he turns into a 30 goal winger in the 2-3 years.

sunnydaycrash is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 05:59 PM
  #118
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I've been pretty damn impressed with Perreault and would actively like to not trade him. And Perreault has definitely shown a lot more at C than Johansson. The kid has moxie. I don't know if I like him long term as C, but I've been pretty damn impressed. He's one of the very few players who have taken this season's crisis as an opportunity to step up and show something.
All true. I was solidly on the No to Perreault ticket until Backs went down. But he has shown so much determination. I'm converted.

If they trade Johanson as part if a deal for Brassard or Gagner, so long as 19 is out, Matty has a spot on a top line.

If they feel there's no room for him after Nick comes back, then he's looked good, proven himself in the bigs and is a tradeable asset at that point.

californiacapsfan is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 06:01 PM
  #119
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 12,214
vCash: 500
At a minimum, trade Hamrlik and Knuble for futures.

Capitlols is online now  
Old
02-26-2012, 06:06 PM
  #120
sunnydaycrash
Registered User
 
sunnydaycrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,725
vCash: 500
If Mojo is traded for Gagner or Brassard then Mafki should be slapped.....even though he's had his off nights , I think the kid's been great filling in for Nicky especially with all that pressure with only bein 21.....the Caps need center depth, if they want Gagner or Brassard then unfortunately the deal has to be for Eakin

sunnydaycrash is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 06:06 PM
  #121
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Not really sure where he projects but my guess without knowing where Brassard would be on a decent team is that Eakin will be better in the long run..... That's what worries me..... The desperation for a 2c could bite us in the rear in the long run .....as for Galiev, he may be a diamond in the rough and it wouldn't surprise me if he turns into a 30 goal winger in the 2-3 years.

I agree totally.

It seems like the way trades are made is totally different these days. Probably due to the CBA. It used to be you could trade 2-3 blue chip prospects for one known-quantity 1st line stud but the salary cap structure doesn't allow for that today. It's harder for GM's to gamble now.

The CBA today is ****. The NHL had the players saying "Uncle" and they still ****ed it up.

Atlas is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 06:11 PM
  #122
amjay13
HFBoards Sponsor
 
amjay13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW6 View Post
How's this for a trade deadline day?

Knuble + Hamrlik - Bickell + 3rd

Vokoun + Ward - Kulemin

B's 2nd - Jarret Stoll

Johansson + Chi's 3rd - Brassard

Wideman - Rome + 1st

Play out the rest of this season with (ideally)

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kulemin
Laich-Brassard-Semin
Chimera-Stoll-Brouwer
Hendricks-Halpern-Bickell
Perreault-Beagle

If Backstrom is out, Brassard moves up and MP takes the 2C spot.

Alzner-Carlson
Schultz-Green
Rome-Orlov
Marshall/Kundratek

Neuvirth - Holtby

Move Schultz at the draft and use the capspace to go after a shutdown D-man to pair with Green, either from FA (Suter, Stuart etc.) or use one some of the picks/prospects and trade for one.
Why in the world would you trade MJ and a pick for Brassard? I wouldn't even consider that deal straight up. I'd be open to moving MJ in a bigger deal, but not for a 28 point center.

amjay13 is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 06:12 PM
  #123
Carlzner
Registered User
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 11,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW6 View Post

Johansson + Chi's 3rd - Brassard

You can't be serious...

Carlzner is online now  
Old
02-26-2012, 06:18 PM
  #124
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 29,051
vCash: 500
I'm amazed at how many people think:

We can trade our crap for prospects and top picks.

We can trade for NHL roster players with junk. Especially more laughable when they're top 6 players.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 06:22 PM
  #125
MW6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Halland
Country: Sweden
Posts: 922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
Why in the world would you trade MJ and a pick for Brassard? I wouldn't even consider that deal straight up. I'd be open to moving MJ in a bigger deal, but not for a 28 point center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
You can't be serious...
I asked up top what it would take, but didn't get any feedback. MaJo has more points this year, but Brassards ceiling is higher. And I like Brassards physicallity and playmaking ability.

I hardly think CBJ trades away a 3rd C in two weeks without a C coming back though.
What do you think would be fair?

What about the other trades?

MW6 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.