HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Computer repair in Ottawa

Old
02-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

vCash: 500
Computer repair in Ottawa

So last night, in an unprecedented display of stupidity, I fried my computer's registry and need to take it in somewhere to get my mess cleaned up by someone who knows what he's doing.

I used to go to PC Cyber for such things, but they've since gone under. Can anyone recommend someplace else that I can check out, preferably close to Tunney's Pasture so I can swing by on my lunch break today?

Thanks!

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Fusbolito

There are a number of places you can go to get it repaired. None that are really close to Westboro or Tunney's pasture, that I know of, but there's a Canada Computers on Rideau, or one in Kanata, or one on Merivale, Gamepower Systems (Inside the Brittons' Smoke shop) in the Glebe, and also a number more that I have no personal experience with.

I used to work at Gamepower in the Glebe, way back in 2005, and I know Tim, the owner, does very good work, and works personally on the majority of the computers that pass through the shop. He also doesn't charge near as much as pretty much anyone else I know.

Gamepower will likely be cheaper, Canada Computers will likely be faster. Whichever you take your computer to will do a good job.

Fusbolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:16 AM
kohlmanator

Canada Computers is a good alternative to PC Cyber.

You say you fried the reg, but depending on how bad, try booting the system in safe mode. (Power on the system and tap F8 - then choose safe mode). Once in to Windows (assuming Win 7), go to Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > System Protection Tab > System Restore Button. You can restore the system to a previous state. Most likely before the last Windows update.

Good luck.

kohlmanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusbolito View Post
There are a number of places you can go to get it repaired. None that are really close to Westboro or Tunney's pasture, that I know of, but there's a Canada Computers on Rideau, or one in Kanata, or one on Merivale, Gamepower Systems (Inside the Brittons' Smoke shop) in the Glebe, and also a number more that I have no personal experience with.

I used to work at Gamepower in the Glebe, way back in 2005, and I know Tim, the owner, does very good work, and works personally on the majority of the computers that pass through the shop. He also doesn't charge near as much as pretty much anyone else I know.

Gamepower will likely be cheaper, Canada Computers will likely be faster. Whichever you take your computer to will do a good job.
Thanks for the tip .. I'm more than happy to go out of my way to a place that gets a strong recommendation, especially from someone who used to work there and knows how things go down there. Speed isn't a factor, since I can destroy my girlfriend's computer in the meantime. I'll pass by Gamepower tonight

Old
02-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlmanator View Post
You say you fried the reg, but depending on how bad, try booting the system in safe mode. (Power on the system and tap F8 - then choose safe mode). Once in to Windows (assuming Win 7), go to Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > System Protection Tab > System Restore Button. You can restore the system to a previous state. Most likely before the last Windows update.
You're a lifesaver.

I had tried booting in safe mode, but it was just as unresponsive as normal mode. I just tried it again using F8, and when you go that way you get an extra option called "Fix my Computer" (when you turn off you computer without shutting down and then turn it back on, that option isn't available - you have to hit F8 to get it), and I was able to do a system restore that took me back to a restore point that took my back to last Saturday.

On which corner would you like me to erect a statue in your honour?

Old
02-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Herc Man
AmandaHugincis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post

As long as its only a statue you are erecting, any corner should do.

Herc Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Stick To Your Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc Man View Post
hahahaha

Stick To Your Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc Man View Post
You saved my computer, not my life

Old
02-28-2012, 01:14 PM
kohlmanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
You're a lifesaver.

I had tried booting in safe mode, but it was just as unresponsive as normal mode. I just tried it again using F8, and when you go that way you get an extra option called "Fix my Computer" (when you turn off you computer without shutting down and then turn it back on, that option isn't available - you have to hit F8 to get it), and I was able to do a system restore that took me back to a restore point that took my back to last Saturday.

Glad to hear it. Next time back up your registry before editing!

kohlmanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:33 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

I used to work with the owners of this place and they do great work. Very low rates, quick work and easy to arrange appointments at your convenience. Highly recommend you going to them. Check out their site. Good Luck!

http://www.billanddave.ca/contact.php

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

The way you did is best if it works but also on most computers registry files are routinely backed up so it's a simple task to manually restore the registry and many other system files. Using a simple boot disc of any OS you can access the hdd and manually move the originals, recopy the backup registry files from another session or any other corrupted system file and then just reboot. You might lose a few of the most recent entries but in most situations that's minor.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote