HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Trade Deadline | Who Stays? Who Goes?

Old
02-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
My favourite trade of the day is the Avs getting McGinn and Sgarbossa. McGinn is ready to breakout and now that he's not behind all those premier forwards in San Jose, I think he's going to do it in Colorado. And Sgarbossa is an unreal prospect. I think he's going to turn into an elite 3rd line player if he can be turned into a winger to play with O'Rielly.

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
He's right... Wayyyyy overhyped... should be on from 12-3
Agreed. I book the day off but don't wake up til at least noon because I can't drink before then and make it exciting.

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Manny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD19 View Post
Weircioch is a skinny weak kid that clearly isn't ready and Borowiecki clearly wasn't ready when he played vs LA, Lee was solid all season long and Claesson is a project
Wiercioch played very well for us last season. I was really impressed with his performance.

Borowiecki has played two games. In the first, he played a real safe game and in the second, he made a couple mistakes. It's to be expected. He'd be paired with Phillips, who essentially taught Brian Lee how to defend. By the end of the regular season, I'm sure Borocop would be more than adequate as a third-pairing player.

Again, this is the worst-case scenario. Gilroy is expected to play tomorrow, and both Murray and Maclean will give him an opportunity to earn a permanent spot on the team. Ottawa's system fits Gilroy's style of play like a glove. It's not crazy to think he could be an offensive contributor.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:32 PM
D0C

Quote:
Maybe cause I have difficulties expressing myself in english, but once you're in the playoffs anything can happen, I really think we can beat some teams in the east except Boston and if you don't believe it and act like a loser saying I ain't even mad, fine, your choice (if you do), I believe in the team we have and Gilroy is really not an upgrade on anybody we're gonna be stuck with Carkner in the line up come playoffs time
I just don't think we can compete with the top teams, not even close. Although we have seen worst scenarios. Anything can happen, but I wouldn't put my hopes up. We're rebuilding and people need to understand this.

As for saying Gilroy sucks and is worse than Lee, I strongly disagree. Might be less physical but is a lot better with the puck, is sound defensively and blocks more shots.

Let's give a chance before making any assumptions.

D0C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:34 PM
We Want the Cup 2010

Quote:
That's why I wrote that understand there maybe wasn't a lot of options but I absolutely hate the Lee deal
It has been pretty obvious that Lee had no future with the sens. They had been trying to give him away for 2 yrs now. I don't understand why people are upset, Lee is an average dman when he is on top of his game.

I'm not a fan of how Carkner is playing this year, but at least he brings toughness to the table. Let's hope Gilroy is an ugrade and move on from the disappointment of Brian Lee.

We Want the Cup 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:35 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

Howson let it slip that Nash asked to be traded. Way to give up any leverage you had there

SixthSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthSens View Post
Howson let it slip that Nash asked to be traded. Way to give up any leverage you had there
You seem to be under the impression that Howson is good at his job.

Protip: He's not.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Agreed, the day ends up really dragging and nothing happens before noon anyway. Most of the deals were actually after 2. So yeah they should think about making it from 12-3 or something for next year. It would still be fun, just not as big a hype job.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:40 PM
ILLESToO
Forever red & black

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0C View Post
I just don't think we can compete with the top teams, not even close. Although we have seen worst scenarios. Anything can happen, but I wouldn't put my hopes up. We're rebuilding and people need to understand this.

As for saying Gilroy sucks and is worse than Lee, I strongly disagree. Might be less physical but is a lot better with the puck, is sound defensively and blocks more shots.

Let's give a chance before making any assumptions.
Great point, I'll wait before saying anything on Gilroy as I haven't noticed he was +2 on a bad Tampa team, but when I saw him play he was really bad, the only aspect of the game where he's better than Lee is with the puck, in his own zone I don't like him and I just don't get the trade, he's an offensive d-man and we already have three

ILLESToO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:43 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
You seem to be under the impression that Howson is good at his job.

Protip: He's not.

Nope, he's terrible. No secret there.

SixthSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:44 PM
ILLESToO
Forever red & black

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Want the Cup 2010 View Post
It has been pretty obvious that Lee had no future with the sens. They had been trying to give him away for 2 yrs now. I don't understand why people are upset, Lee is an average dman when he is on top of his game.

I'm not a fan of how Carkner is playing this year, but at least he brings toughness to the table. Let's hope Gilroy is an ugrade and move on from the disappointment of Brian Lee.
Disagree on that one, nobody wants to drop the gloves this year it seems, also, Carkner got outmuscled vs Boston it was embarassing, he was the cause of 2 goals against and he just sucks, he got outmuscled by a 170 lbs rookie in front of the net, I don't think he brings toughness cause he is too slow, everytime he goes to hit someone he's out of position and 90% of the time he misses his chek, he also takes bad penalties

Old
02-27-2012, 04:45 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Yup, Gilroy deserves the chance. I think he could end up being a better fit than Lee ever was here. There is some potential there.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:02 PM
We Want the Cup 2010

Quote:
Disagree on that one, nobody wants to drop the gloves this year it seems, also, Carkner got outmuscled vs Boston it was embarassing, he was the cause of 2 goals against and he just sucks, he got outmuscled by a 170 lbs rookie in front of the net, I don't think he brings toughness cause he is too slow, everytime he goes to hit someone he's out of position and 90% of the time he misses his chek, he also takes bad penalties
If you disagree with Matt Carkner being tough, then there is no reasoning with you.

We Want the Cup 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 767
Quote:
If you disagree with Matt Carkner being tough, then there is no reasoning with you.
His toughness does nothing for the team. It always backfires with the other team gaining momentum and making him look like a complete moron.

Gil Gunderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:34 PM
ILLESToO
Forever red & black

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwan553 View Post
His toughness does nothing for the team. It always backfires with the other team gaining momentum and making him look like a complete moron.
This, also I have trouble expressing in english, he's tough but he's not tough this year, it doesn't help us! really not

Old
02-27-2012, 05:42 PM
JackBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthSens View Post
I can't see anything gained by doing what he did.

I thought the only possible explanation is that he was trying to be upfront with the media but then when someone asked him what the price was, he replied "really high" and didn't want to comment.

Hockey's version of Irsay/Manning, in 3, 2, 1...

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:43 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Great point, I'll wait before saying anything on Gilroy as I haven't noticed he was +2 on a bad Tampa team, but when I saw him play he was really bad, the only aspect of the game where he's better than Lee is with the puck, in his own zone I don't like him and I just don't get the trade, he's an offensive d-man and we already have three
This trade is about the playoffs & the future of the organization. It's quite likely that kuba may not be re-signed at the end of this yr & it's even more possible that Gonchar retires or moves on at the end of his contract next season. Therefore, there is a need for a puck moving defencemen & rather than slotting our young prospects into the fire we can ease them in as they become NHL ready on the 3rd pairing.

Gilroy is already developed, entering his prime, a right hand shot & is a puck moving defenceman almost ready to replace Gonchar & likely will when he retires. Boroweicki is NHL ready now & could replace Kuba on the roster but on the 3rd pairing, Cowen will move into Kuba's spot beside Karlsson. Wiercioch & Gryba should be NHL ready in the next yr or so. Murray also has the option of signing a UFA defenceman this summer. The defence has improved, the goaltending has improved & the forwards are all playing rather well.

Next Year:
Cowen - Karlsson
Phillips - Gonchar - when Gonchar retires Gilroy replaces him
Boroweicki - Gilroy/Carkner

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:55 PM
pt_mck

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
This trade is about the playoffs & the future of the organization. It's quite likely that kuba may not be re-signed at the end of this yr & it's even more possible that Gonchar retires or moves on at the end of his contract next season. Therefore, there is a need for a puck moving defencemen & rather than slotting our young prospects into the fire we can ease them in as they become NHL ready on the 3rd pairing.

Gilroy is already developed, entering his prime, a right hand shot & is a puck moving defenceman almost ready to replace Gonchar & likely will when he retires. Boroweicki is NHL ready now & could replace Kuba on the roster but on the 3rd pairing, Cowen will move into Kuba's spot beside Karlsson. Wiercioch & Gryba should be NHL ready in the next yr or so. Murray also has the option of signing a UFA defenceman this summer. The defence has improved, the goaltending has improved & the forwards are all playing rather well.

Next Year:
Cowen - Karlsson
Phillips - Gonchar - when Gonchar retires Gilroy replaces him
Boroweicki - Gilroy/Carkner
Gilroy is not a top 4 d on any other playoff team and he's 27 so his time to get there is running out.

He wasn't a top 4 D on Tampa who has one of the worst corps in the league. It is wishful thinking to try and project him into a top 4 role.

The sens need to sign a D of they don't resign Kuba or else they'll be in trouble. Gilroy isn't a guy who can chew up 25 minutes a game.

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:08 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt_mck View Post
Gilroy is not a top 4 d on any other playoff team and he's 27 so his time to get there is running out.

He wasn't a top 4 D on Tampa who has one of the worst corps in the league. It is wishful thinking to try and project him into a top 4 role.

The sens need to sign a D of they don't resign Kuba or else they'll be in trouble. Gilroy isn't a guy who can chew up 25 minutes a game.
Obviously there is lots of time to decide whether Gilroy will be a top 4 defenceman. Murray & his management team I believe differ from your view. Murray said on the radio that it has taken Gilroy a little while to develop into a NHL puck moving defenceman but he thinks he has done that this yr. He could be a late bloomer.

If it works out the Sens have a replacement for Gonchar when he retires, if it doesn't they grab a UFA this summer and/or next summer. They will also have all of next season to analyse & determine what else this team needs to move forward. They have a few defensive prospects that could eventual develop & there is always the possibility of trades. I guess we will see from now to the end of the season & playoffs what we have in Gilroy.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
He's not going to bring the kind of toughness we need against a team like Boston.

We don't need players who can drop the gloves. We need more of what Chris Neil was doing but from all the forwards and defense.

Loose Sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:41 PM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post

...yep, same as Brian Lee. Where is Brian's highlight tape for Tampa?

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
...yep, same as Brian Lee. Where is Brian's highlight tape for Tampa?
You can make a highlight video for anyone. It doesn't show his mistakes.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:27 PM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwan553 View Post
You can make a highlight video for anyone. It doesn't show his mistakes.
So, where are Brian Lee's highlights? We all know his highlights on offense...missing the net, cutely fluffing his slapper into the belly of the goalie. I am going to look for his highlight reel goals.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
So, where are Brian Lee's highlights? We all know his highlights on offense...missing the net, cutely fluffing his slapper into the belly of the goalie. I am going to look for his highlight reel goals.
There's videos of Picard and Campoli scoring nice goals too.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

I ain't even mad.

Does Gilroy play the left or right side?....I remember him being a fairly decent player when he was with the Rags...

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote