If we're going to succeed in the playoffs, it won't be because of Carkner, he's been outplayed by Lee, and he's a penalty liability who might cost us a goal or a game. He can definitely be traded. His truculence will only be useful in maybe 1-2 games. Let's not kid ourselves. We're first round chum in the playoff waters.
Having said that, if we trade one defenseman, we'll need another. Even if we get a tremendous return for Carkner, we'll just need to trade whatever we get for him for another NHL ready defenseman because we're still in the playoffs and we can't be certain we'll be in this situation again in the near future. 7 NHL ready defensemen are a necessity.
Even if it's a better player than Carkner, there will be downside of familiarization, etc.. which will probably make it a lateral move. The absolute best case scenario I can imagine is Murray packaging Konopka, Carkner, Butler, Regin, or some other combination of those players into a defenseman who will be around next season, which I don't anticipate will happen.
- Quiet day.
- Happy with the team right now.
- Getting some calls, but not a lot.
- Not interested in rentals, only players who can come in for a few years.
- Think we need a to 6 forwards, but doesn't know where to find one.
- Talked about Bishop with St. Louis before Andy got hurt.
- Doesn't know who the backup will be.
- Lehner playing tomorrow night.
- Not doing anything with D.
- Think we have a chance to do well.
- Extremely happy with McStache. (obviously)
- When asked if he like them having nothing to talk about he said "Well, we're trying to be creative to give you something to talk about."
Thanks for the update, saved me from having to watch the abortion that is the Sportsnet Panel.
With Ottawa and Colorado scouting each other lots lately, you'd have to believe Murray and Sherman will be talking today IMO. Jones, Mueller, Galiardi are some interesting names especially if we're looking for a forward.