HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Unofficial Trade Rumor/Proposal Thread: Trade Deadline Day

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
As Oilbleeder's lady friend would say, size isn't everything.
Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
This sounds crazy, but I have a funny feeling Nashville will make a big move tomorrow.
If it's true Plekanec is available, he is a guy I could see them trading for.

Plekanec-Fisher-Legwand down the middle is quite strong. Add in Erat, Hornqvist, S-Kost, Craig Smith and Colin Wilson on the wings and it's a forward corps that can roll three lines of scoring.

02-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Magnus

vCash: 500
Anyone think it would be worth taking a chance on Kyle Beach? Blackhawks seem to have lost faith in him as a prospect, but he has the potential to be the agitating, power forward type the team could really use going forward. The debate seems to be whether he is simply immature at this stage or has character issues. I wouldn't want to bring in a negative influence, but he has intriguing potential.
Any thoughts?

Old
02-26-2012, 01:10 PM
ales83fan

I'd like plekanec as well. I think he's a great 2nd like center. Would something around gagner work? If they're dying to move him, we should get in the conversation.
Don't overpay though, as forwards are not our problem.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:10 PM
ZedenoCiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
There's no point in trading for a Harding/Bishop/etc. unless they're able to move Khabibulin. I know there's a really good chance that most of them get signed in the mean time, but the 2013 UFA goalie class sure looks a lot better than the 2012 group.

Lehtonen
Quick
Howard
Backstrom
Smith
If this year is any indication most of those UFA's will be signed by their clubs before that season and their contract expires.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
Anyone think it would be worth taking a chance on Kyle Beach? Blackhawks seem to have lost faith in him as a prospect, but he has the potential to be the agitating, power forward type the team could really use going forward. The debate seems to be whether he is simply immature at this stage or has character issues. I wouldn't want to bring in a negative influence, but he has intriguing potential.
Any thoughts?
He suffered a very serious shoulder injury 8 games into the AHL season this year. He hasn't been back since.

His development has stagnated. I don't think his wheels will be good enough for the NHL in a Top-6 capacity. He could be a scarier Eager with less wheels and perhaps a bit more consistency to his physical game. If he's the return on a Khabibulin trade to Chicago, I'm pretty stoked.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:14 PM
ZedenoCiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Hey!

If it's true Plekanec is available, he is a guy I could see them trading for.

Plekanec-Fisher-Legwand down the middle is quite strong. Add in Erat, Hornqvist, S-Kost, Craig Smith and Colin Wilson on the wings and it's a forward corps that can roll three lines of scoring.
Kyper is saying that Plekanec never waived his NTC.

But if Nashville picked him up they would have 3 real good 2nd line centers. In fact aren't they pretty much all the same player?

Old
02-26-2012, 01:14 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedenoCiger View Post
If this year is any indication most of those UFA's will be signed by their clubs before that season and their contract expires.
Ya that's the thing. You can't look at UFA lists a year before. I can almost guarantee Howard and Quick are resigned.

Bakstrom interests me, however. Some Minny fans would prefer to sign Harding and use Bakstrom as trade bait. Would he interest the Oilers???

Pro's:

Good goalie with excellent numbers
Wouldn't have to play against him anymore.
Well established in this league.

Con's:

Maybe some injury troubles
Getting up there in age.
Salary, although it is only 6 million for 1 more year.

Do you think a trade could be made?? Obviously would be dependent on us getting rid of Khabby, but Minny wouldn't want him back as they feel Hackett is NHL ready.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Forsburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
Ya that's the thing. You can't look at UFA lists a year before. I can almost guarantee Howard and Quick are resigned.

Bakstrom interests me, however. Some Minny fans would prefer to sign Harding and use Bakstrom as trade bait. Would he interest the Oilers???

Pro's:

Good goalie with excellent numbers
Wouldn't have to play against him anymore.
Well established in this league.

Con's:

Maybe some injury troubles
Getting up there in age.
Salary, although it is only 6 million for 1 more year.

Do you think a trade could be made?? Obviously would be dependent on us getting rid of Khabby, but Minny wouldn't want him back as they feel Hackett is NHL ready.
I've had a feeling for a while now that Backstrom ends up in Columbus one way or another.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:37 PM
OilerFan4Life

Only comment I'll make on Bishop is that I believe Doug Armstrong and Bryan Murray area really good friends. So it's possible there were other offers on the table (maybe a 2nd for the 2012 draft) but St Louis took the Ottawa deal. Either way I don't believe Tambo was interested but you have to think Tampa could have traded one of their 4 2nds?

Old
02-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Koto

dont want backstrom

Old
02-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
Any thoughts?
Other than the character issues, he was quite bad in the AHL last season and has been out for almost this entire season with a shoulder injury. Unless the price was extremely low, he has too many question marks to be worth acquiring.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:15 PM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Only comment I'll make on Bishop is that I believe Doug Armstrong and Bryan Murray area really good friends. So it's possible there were other offers on the table (maybe a 2nd for the 2012 draft) but St Louis took the Ottawa deal. Either way I don't believe Tambo was interested but you have to think Tampa could have traded one of their 4 2nds?
Good point.

Tampa needs 2 goalies and not just one. It's quite common we see GMs all have their own sets of preferred trading partners.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
That's a whole lot of money to pay a 5 goal scorer who shows up when he feels like it.
You're right.

He's worth 5 million per year on a short term contract, not 2.5.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
And for the record, our current AHL goaltending is giving us numbers every bit as good. Putting up .920+ sv percentages in the AHL isn't a rare diamond.
True but there is a lot to consider, ie. quality of team defense, PK, etc. That said I'm not interested in moving the 32nd overall pick for Bishop, Bernier yes, Bishop? No thanks. Also if we move Khabibulin would it kill us to play Danis a bit? Is he exempt from waivers on the way back down? It'd be a huge blow to the Barons if he got claimed.

02-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
You're right.

Oh snap! That said, how many points does Penner have? I was a huge fan of his until his disappearing act before he was moved, now he can piss off as far as I'm concerned.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Hopkins to Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I think Edmonton would give him up for pratically anything at this point.
If we can get anything for him then great. Could always take a low risk chance on Clitsome who was waived by Columbus.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopkins to Hall View Post
If we can get anything for him then great. Could always take a low risk chance on Clitsome who was waived by Columbus.
Or claim him and waive Barker.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:39 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
There's no point in trading for a Harding/Bishop/etc. unless they're able to move Khabibulin. I know there's a really good chance that most of them get signed in the mean time, but the 2013 UFA goalie class sure looks a lot better than the 2012 group.

Lehtonen
Quick
Howard
Backstrom
Smith
We need Backstrom!!!!!!!!!

Old
02-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
You're right.

At least I'll give Hemsky some rope, coming back from serious injury problems and now playing much better. What can you give me for Penner?

Old
02-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
At least I'll give Hemsky some rope, coming back from serious injury problems and now playing much better. What can you give me for Penner?
His stove broke so no more pancakes?

Old
02-26-2012, 02:50 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dandyman View Post
I would take Bishop over Bernier any day. Bernier is overhyped at this point and probably not ready for prime for another 3 or 4 yrs. Bishop is more mature & ready next yr especially if he get some NHL action this yr.

Also 6'7 vs 6'0 makes a huge different for goalies. Look ar it this way, if they both struggle in a game, at least Bishop will get hit by the puck a few more times than Bernier.

Darn, we miss a shot at a potential star goalie. To be fair tho, STL would probably have asked us for more or not willing to move Bishop to us since we're in the same conference.
so you would say dubnyk > bernier?

bernier is the superior goalie, the only reason he isnt a starter is because of Jquick

Old
02-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Oh snap! That said, how many points does Penner have? I was a huge fan of his until his disappearing act before he was moved, now he can piss off as far as I'm concerned.
Agreed.

The Oilers need some size in their top 6, and players who can play the cycle game so they don't continue to be an easy win for teams that can defensively shut down off the rush offense. Penner may have the size, but his lack of effort and dedication is the last thing this team needs more of.

A team like Detroit that has the kind of veteran core capable of holding under performing players like Penner accountable for their poor play would be a better fit, something the Oilers won't be able to provide for a few more years yet. Doubt he ever lands there though, both because Detroit doesn't waste time on apathetic players, and I doubt Penner wants to push all that hard to be a good player anyways.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:56 PM
BowDangles

What is your guys opinion on trying to get Bernier? And what would you want the Oilers to give up?
Personally I wouldn't want to really give up anybody young with potential currently on the Oilers roster.

The worry with Bernier and every young unproven goalie is that it is a massive risk to try to throw him into a starter role and hope he thrives..

@treensoil on twitter (i know, not a good source) mentioned that it could be something centred around Omark + 2nd for Bernier.

Would you do this? Do you think LA would do this? I like the idea of centring a trade around Omark for him.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:56 PM
soothsayer

Does anyone know if Gilbert is injured? He is staying behind on the road trip for some reason.

What is interesting is that last week Stauffer was saying that he thinks Petry has passed Gilbert on the depth chart and that Gilbert is the odd man out. The thing with Stauffer is that he seems to sometimes speak cryptically in the sense that he says things that appear to be of his opinion, but later come about to be true; as if he is alluding to something going on that he knows about, but covering it as his opinion.

Just interesting to speculate, and if Gilbert is hurt then this is all for not.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:00 PM
misfit

Even if Petry has passed Gilbert on the depth chart (which I disagree with, at least not at this point), why on earth would that make Gilbert the odd man out? Last time I checked, a hockey team ices 6 defensemen (sometimes 7) for every game. Especially at RD, where are depth chart is Gilbert and Petry, then Potter, Teubert, Plante. Take away Gilbert and it's an absolute trainwreck.

I hadn't heard that Gilbert is staying behind, but if he is, I'd hope that it's because of injury and not a trade.