HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Short interview with Jagr/Kubina for czech TV Nova

Old
03-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Madik77

vCash: 500
Short interview with Jagr/Kubina for czech TV Nova

Just saw short interview with Jagr and Kubina for the biggest commercial TV here in Czech rep. (TV Nova). Here is short summary for those interested:

Jagr about his scoring slump
He basically said that it doesn´t matter if he scores a goal when the team is winning and while there is fun in the locker room.

About his own team Rytiri Kladno
He said it was a pitty that the team faced hot team from Brno in playoffs. (note: Jags team lost 0:3 in playoffs but the pre-season expectations were low)

About his next season
He said that he wants to play next year too and that he sees no reason why it should not be the best league - NHL. He did not mention namely Flyers.

Kubina talked only about Jagr and his trainnig drills with young players on the team. He said that after training Jagr takes 10 kilograms waist and goes on the ice again with young players to practise specific tasks like shooting etc.

Madik77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:56 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks for the info

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:43 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

There is another interview with Jagr (and also some Kubina's quotes) in todays newspaper MF Dnes. I'll try to translate it

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:39 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Questions in bold, Jagr's answers in italics

"We met Jagr after a match where he hit the post, broke two sticks and Florida scored a game winning goal while he was penalized. But it was also a match in which he had shown that there's still something he can show to the NHL. He prepared chances for others, directed powerplays, fought at the boards. Yet he said humbly 'I didn't come back to the NHL to play for myself or prove something to myself. I'm very happy with the guys I play with.' "

But you're feeling good, aren't you? I can't make any conclusion before the play offs. To judge after the regular season is like play for nothing. When the play offs begins, it's like starting the season again. And the biggest difference between success and failure is what the players give to their team in the play offs.

Aren't you a bit too humble? I don't feel bad, that's true. Things should be better for me in the NHL now. But in front of all, I'm glad that the team itself is thriving. The guys in here are great, I haven't been amongst such great bunch of people for a long time, a lot of them young guys. We're enjoying it and it's fun in here. And by now I already know pretty well that the best thing that can happen to a player is being amongst great people, having fun and also be winning at the same time.

You need to be healthy for that too. Any news on your groin injury? It was good at the beginning of the season, then I got hurt and perhaps returned too soon. But I wanted back and not to skip a lot of games. Then I got hurt twice more times in the same spot. Now it seems to be ok and I feel better and better.

The rumour is that your style of practicing is responsible for how good you feel. Do you do more overnight practices just like in Omsk again? It's not about whether it's overnights... My aim is to practice intensively. I returned to the style of practice I was doing 15 years ago and I'm enjoying it again.

What does that mean? I'm having a minute of full power practice, then a minute of rest because that's how I used to play. Nowadays I'm not so often on ice, but it doesn't matter really.

Is hockey in America that much different from Russia? You can't compare that. I say in both cases it's hockey but each one is a different sport. You have the same rules but the system is completely different. Here in America, you have much less time for everything, it's faster. You have to cease a lot of duels - on the other hand on the big rink in Russia you have to skate much more. You have to play your position because when you turn the puck over, there is nearly no chance of getting it back in the same shift. In the NHL, the chance is much bigger.

Do you keep an eye on your personal statistics? It's been a month now since you moved to the 8th all time scoring spot. We could have been talking about something else now if I hadn't gone to Russia for three years. Maybe I'd be 2nd all time and we wouldn't have to count every single point right now. But that's just 'if, if, if....' I decided to leave and I don't want to talk about whether the decision was right or wrong. Right now I'm trying to play as if the matches were my last ones and we shall see. Maybe I'll be in the NHL for one or two more years.

What's the situation on your new contract? I'll wait until the end of the post-season, there's no need to rush.

Do you have a passion to stay? I have no intention to retire and whether I'll play here, in Russia or in the Czech republic doesn't matter that much - I still have to keep practicing. And when I'm practicing, why not stay here, in the best league possible - if there'll be interest in my services.

Can your body still master the NHL? Don't you feel much more 'broken' after the big 40? Not at all! You gotta understand - I've never been smoking, I've never been drinking, I'never took any 'vitamins', which helps me a lot. I believe that my body is in better shape than by some players in their 30s because they didn't adhere the same rules I did. Of course, everyone has a different body, different constitution. But that's given to you by your parents. My father always said that if I inherit anything from his physical capabilities I'll be mostly strong in my 40s.

Does it really work that way? I'm not sure, but I don't feel bad.

Any news on hockey in Kladno? Guys are resting, right? (Jagr's team, Kladno, was kicked out of the play offs about two weeks ago)

And you as a manager? So am I. The team is on vacation for about a month.

What do you think about how did the team do? It's a shame that they lost their last match in the regular season and therefore couldn't start the play offs home. They also faced Brno - that team is on fire right now. (keeps talking about the play offs in the Czech league for a while...)

How strong are you and Philadelphia before the play offs? It's strange but whatever happens, in the 1st round we might face either Rangers or Pittsburgh. It's a bit unfair because we have more points than other teams in front of us, but that's given by the system when the division winners automatically make it to the top three spots. It's a shame that the 4 best teams from the conference are in our division, New Jersey included. It's gonna be dodgeball in the first round. (?? )

From Kubina, there's in front of all how did he make it to Philly. He said that it was Yzerman and Jagr who got him to the Flyers, saying that Jagr also phoned him. "Making a decision is very easy when you get a call from such a legend. Playing with Jagr in one team is also a big challenge."
About his reaction to the trade "I've been very surprised by the trade because I'm not one of those guys managers or coaches would want for the play offs. But it's also an honour that such team wanted me. They've got great mix of players, many young guys with Giroux and Jagr. Hopefully they'll show something in the play offs."
About why Jagr asked him about coming to Philly "Jagr always said that he hated playing against me and that it's better to have me on his side than against him. He even remembers that in one match I knocked out two of his teeth... I hoped he wouldn't remember that, we were both young and unexperienced." (laughing) "He likes to talk about the times we met on ice. His aim was to score a goal, my was to stop him from achieving that. He is really huge, we're both over 235 pounds so it was like an earthquake when we met. I'm glad I don't have to stand on guard against him anymore."

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:47 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Thanks a lot for posting^^

I've done a complete 180 on Jagr, and I never thought I'd say that.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:14 AM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudymen View Post
How strong are you and Philadelphia before the play offs? It's strange but whatever happens, in the 1st round we might face either Rangers or Pittsburgh. It's a bit unfair because we have more points than other teams in front of us, but that's given by the system when the division winners automatically make it to the top three spots. It's a shame that the 4 best teams from the conference are in our division, New Jersey included. It's gonna be dodgeball in the first round. (?? )
Haha, wow. Don't disrespect the B's like that, Jags. They are a legitimate power, and the Devils are not.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:26 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Haha, wow. Don't disrespect the B's like that, Jags. They are a legitimate power, and the Devils are not.
Well, I'm guessing he was going by the standings, and considering the Devils have more games against tougher opponents, i.e. us, the Pens and the Rangers, he might not have been that far off, as counter-intuitive as it may seem.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Well, I'm guessing he was going by the standings, and considering the Devils have more games against tougher opponents, i.e. us, the Pens and the Rangers, he might not have been that far off, as counter-intuitive as it may seem.
I know the Devils have overtaken the Bruins in points during their slump, but the Bruins have a +57 goals differential compared to the Devils +9. The Bruins have the ability to dominate, whereas the Devils simply do not.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote