HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals: Part XXIV

View Poll Results: Michalek for Nash
Yes 51 66.23%
No 26 33.77%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Benny FTW
[yt]M6PbdJiAK84[/yt]

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
Claude Giroux, Patrik Elias, Henrik Zetterberg, Craig Adams, Patrick Kane, Jamie Benn, Jussi Jokinen and Ville Leino. Well you may have a point with that last one.
Bold play Centre and the others are Centres that are playing wing, besides Kane.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Yokai

vCash: 1243
To anyone who wants to trade Ben Bishop at this point:

What if Lehner isn't ready to back up Craig Anderson considering we haven't ever see him play for a long period of time at the NHL level?

What if Anderson gets hurt and a young Lehner has to be "the guy"?

How about instead of rushing prospects into the league Ottawa just plays it safe and asks the 20 year old to spend a bit more time in the AHL. Not many goaltenders are stars at the NHL level at such a young age, so I think it is smart to just leave him be for the moment.

Having Bishop and Anderson in Ottawa next year hopefully means that we have a good goaltender even if one of the two is having some trouble.

If/when Lehner absolutely shows that he deserves/needs to be in the NHL do I even think Ottawa should think about moving a goaltender.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:10 PM
MAK19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roffler View Post
Bold play Centre and the others are Centres that are playing wing, besides Kane.
Point was all those guys are wingers converted to centre full time or part time. Some wingers can play centre.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:21 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Point was all those guys are wingers converted to centre full time or part time. Some wingers can play centre.
Yes but his point was you're almost entirely incorrect.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:24 PM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Yes but his point was you're almost entirely incorrect.
No he misunderstood my point. I knew that those guys play centre.

And I am not wrong. Those guys are natural wingers who play centre. Deal with it.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:35 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:

And I am not wrong. Those guys are natural wingers who play centre. Deal with it.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:39 PM
MAK19

Quote:
You didn't seem to be happy about it for some reason, glad to see you've turned the frown upside down

Old
05-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Benny FTW
[yt]M6PbdJiAK84[/yt]

vCash: 50
Quote:

i see what u mean now but still thats not many wingers that have converted to Centre.
There are way, way more centre's that convert to wing.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:49 PM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roffler View Post
i see what u mean now but still thats not many wingers that have converted to Centre.
There are way, way more centre's that convert to wing.
yeah agreed. The prospect pool also has more winger depth as it is, so if a forward were to be drafted a centre would be best. But this team really needs D. A #3 guy behind Karlsson and Cowen for years to come would be awesome.

Old
05-03-2012, 01:44 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

I would not at all mind if we picked up Jokinen. He's played wing decently, has he not? Obviously a better C but still, you can never have too many centres, nor can you have too many 50-60 pt guys.

Old
05-03-2012, 02:14 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
San Jose 2nd power play unit was still better than Columbus 1st unit, so I don't see how that really matters.

Even if I disagree he would be the focal point, he would be getting passes from Umberger/Brassard/Vermette/Prospal/Carter on the 1st unit. All of these players are a far cry from what he is accustomed to on other teams. Solid, but unspectacular passers.

Michalek has been aided a ton by the current team, sure he is a good player, but the reason he is in position to get alot of these goals is the amount of top end skill surrounding this team. Does anyone not remember that injury prone winger who was getting 40 points per season? Other teams sure do.
You're addressing intangible qualities of PP unit quality.

The tangible qualities say that 2 mins a game on SJ's 2nd unit is always worse than 4 mins a game on CLB's 1st unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N15H View Post
Did you ever play hockey trent?

You can't base everything solely on stats...
No doubt. So tell about the qualities that Rick Nash brings beyond his offensive stats.

Old
05-03-2012, 02:26 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
I would not at all mind if we picked up Jokinen. He's played wing decently, has he not? Obviously a better C but still, you can never have too many centres, nor can you have too many 50-60 pt guys.
I want Jokinen just for the photoshops. He might even do well in the top 6

A line of Greening-Jokinen-Zibanejad could do some damage.

Old
05-03-2012, 02:48 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
To anyone who wants to trade Ben Bishop at this point:

What if Lehner isn't ready to back up Craig Anderson considering we haven't ever see him play for a long period of time at the NHL level?

What if Anderson gets hurt and a young Lehner has to be "the guy"?

How about instead of rushing prospects into the league Ottawa just plays it safe and asks the 20 year old to spend a bit more time in the AHL. Not many goaltenders are stars at the NHL level at such a young age, so I think it is smart to just leave him be for the moment.

Having Bishop and Anderson in Ottawa next year hopefully means that we have a good goaltender even if one of the two is having some trouble.

If/when Lehner absolutely shows that he deserves/needs to be in the NHL do I even think Ottawa should think about moving a goaltender.
YES!

Someone else who can see sense in this forum!!

Old
05-03-2012, 06:26 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post

The tangible qualities say that 2 mins a game on SJ's 2nd unit is always worse than 4 mins a game on CLB's 1st unit.

No doubt. So tell about the qualities that Rick Nash brings beyond his offensive stats.
All due respect, Columbus powerplay is a trainwreck. And with Umberger, Brassard, Prospal, there is no guarantee he makes their first unit anyways. Michalek is not a top end player, he is not that good. If he was these proposals wouldn't exist. You can make the argument he isn't better than Umberger at the top of the net, really.

Nash is much better with the puck, is a better passer, has a better shot, has deceptively good speed using his size. Nash can dangle while Michalek is pure North-South with speed, which also has lead to injuries. Also, Nash has gotten better defensively from Hitch as well as on the PK. Michalek is a top six, Nash is a top line. Plain and simple.

Yea Michalek is a bit better two-way game and has more goals, but you're forgetting the most obvious of things. One plays on a great team, the other team is terrible. Michalek scores 20 goals or less on the Blue Jackets.

Old
05-03-2012, 09:39 AM
operasen

If we have to pay a guy that term and salary, would you not rather it be Parise.

And Parise will get the max from three or four teams and then pick where he wants to go. Even Carolina wants in the mix.

Nash is similar to Michalek. Not elite but flashes of brilliance. At least he's not in my Top 5. Ryan is but that ship has sailed.

I can see a Michalek trade, but not in the package mentionned above. Its taken 20 years to get the goaltending Depth of three deep. Let's play with it for a while and see who takes the No1 from Anderson, if anyone does. In two years you can trade one of them for a ransom if need be.

Spezza is a Senator, next Captain. Talk of trading him is strange to me. He is a top centre in the league and they are rare. He may not be Malkin, but he's ours. Best thing Yashin ever did for us.

Of more interest was the talk of attracting Hudler. He could seriously add to MacLean's system and the team depth and character. Would not cost us picks either.

What we really need, and for $$, is a Dman like Suter if he'd come, and failing that Jackman or Carle. Here is where Murray might target a stud he covets and deals a Michalek package. Bieksa might be interesting, but I'm sure Murray has a short list he'd consider.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:10 AM
N15H

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post

- Strong and can protect the puck very well
- Actually has finish unlike most of our wingers
- Can set up plays as well
- Knows where to be on the ice

All I ever see are ridiculous stat lines being compared.

also didn`t answer my question of if you`ve ever played before

Last edited by N15H: 05-03-2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: add
Old
05-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

And I believe Hudler would consider us purely because of Mac.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Jay Bouwmeester.

-Cap hit of 6.6, it's large but we need to spend money on someone considering we will be near the floor if we don't sign anyone. None of them really interest me, aside from Suter.
-Only 2 years left on deal, I don't see any of the UFA defensemen taking that short a deal
-Easily the second best available D men in comparison to UFA defensemen.
-Above average, potentially great defensively
-Average, potentially above average offensively. Can play on PP2, potentially PP1
-Plays every game
-Could potentially be had for cheap if we are willing to eat the caphit, which we very well may be.
-Has NTC but don't see why he wouldn't waive.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Jason Squirtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
Jay Bouwmeester.

-Cap hit of 6.6, it's large but we need to spend money on someone considering we will be near the floor if we don't sign anyone. None of them really interest me, aside from Suter.
-Only 2 years left on deal, I don't see any of the UFA defensemen taking that short a deal
-Average, potentially above average offensively. Can play on PP2, potentially PP1
-Plays every game
-Could potentially be had for cheap if we are willing to eat the caphit, which we very well may be.
I actually think that idea wouldn't be such a bad one. We'll have issues hitting the cap floor and realistically we aren't getting Suter (possibly Jackman or Stuart), nor do I think our 15th pick defenseman will be able to step in and play top 4 minutes.

If you swallow Jbo's cap hit he's somewhat of a more reliable Kuba in my opinion. Yes we can all go on about how well Kuba played this year but Jbo is only 28 and could probably grow with our team. Plus he can play on the PP, unlike Jackman and Stuart who are more shutdown players. Furthermore, he eats a ton of minutes.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:19 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 73
Quote:
Jay Bouwmeester.

-Plays every game
- 9 seasons in the NHL, never made the playoffs once
- His numbers have been on the decline the last 3 years, but perhaps that's just part of the team he's on.

I'd rather take a risk on Souray instead of taking on J-Bo for 2 more seasons. Would be a cheaper cap hit to swallow if it doesn't work out, and wouldn't cost us any assets in the process.

05-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Jay Bouwmeester.

-Plays every game

im waiting for Trent to throw things at you through his computer screen.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold View Post
- 9 seasons in the NHL, never made the playoffs once
- His numbers have been on the decline the last 3 years, but perhaps that's just part of the team he's on.

I'd rather take a risk on Souray instead of taking on J-Bo for 2 more seasons. Would be a cheaper cap hit to swallow if it doesn't work out, and wouldn't cost us any assets in the process.
It's like this.

Uh huh...I understand, I don't see how that matters but I understand...I agree, that is why he would be available...Souray? You ****ing kidding me? You talk about declining and you want us to pick up the guy who was in the minors a year ago?

Honestly, most of the other "options" are atrocious.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:32 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 73
Quote:
It's like this.

Uh huh...I understand, I don't see how that matters but I understand...I agree, that is why he would be available...Souray? You ****ing kidding me? You talk about declining and you want us to pick up the guy who was in the minors a year ago?
That would cost a third of the price of J-Bo, wouldn't cost us any picks/prospects to get and who had a better PPG pace this season?

Also no I don't want either J-Bo or Souray, I was just simply saying IF we were considering J-Bo at all, I would much rather go the Souray route.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Funny, I thought we were looking for a guy to replace Kuba and cover for Karlsson while having some semblance of offensive talent. Souray is abysmal defensively.

I honestly think the biggest problem with Bouwmeester is that his name is Bouwmeester. I call it Brian Lee-itis, you completely dismiss what they do contribute because they are/have been a disappointment. If you ask for Ferarri and get an Audi...you got an Audi.

Old
05-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Dionysus

Bouwmeester could be a very nice replacement for Kuba. Bringing in a more physical defensive d-man could round out the pairings pretty nicely.

Bouwmeester-Karlsson
Cowen-Jackman
Phillips-Gonchar
Boro/Carkner

Closed Thread