HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals: Part XXIV

View Poll Results: Michalek for Nash
Yes 51 66.23%
No 26 33.77%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Asquaredx2

vCash: 500
In retrospect you think how it might have been a good idea to pay a lot to move up to get him in but you have to be pretty happy with Cowen, Silfverberg and Lehner as a haul in '09.

Old
05-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Laoghaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asquaredx2 View Post
In retrospect you think how it might have been a good idea to pay a lot to move up to get him in but you have to be pretty happy with Cowen, Silfverberg and Lehner as a haul in '09.
He went sixth though. He wasn't anywhere near even the top 30 for most of the year. The player ranked above him that year was Jacob Josefson who went 20th. I think they expected him to be there to be honest.

Old
05-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Tampa fans like Shannon and a lot expect him to be back.

Old
05-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Ya, there is no chance Shannon would sign a two-way deal with us, especially if we plan on keeping him in the AHL. He will get a one-way deal with somebody.

Old
05-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Kid Canesten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoghaire View Post
He went sixth though. He wasn't anywhere near even the top 30 for most of the year. The player ranked above him that year was Jacob Josefson who went 20th. I think they expected him to be there to be honest.
as much as i think OEL is going to dominate this league for years to come, i am very happy with cowen. with some more experience, this kid is just going to be a monster.

Old
05-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Damn, just saw his stats and earlier in the year heard he was struggling... assumed it wasn't working.

Old
05-05-2012, 01:26 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Says No View Post
nah, offer sheets are not the way to build a team.
Agreed. Edmonton would not be in the pretty position they are in right now with their stacked prospects if they had been locked into 7 years of Thomas Vanek.

Old
05-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Kid Canesten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
Agreed. Edmonton would not be in the pretty position they are in right now with their stacked prospects if they had been locked into 7 years of Thomas Vanek.
while things obviously would change, just imagine for a second that those 4 first round picks turned out to be sam gagner, tyler myers, magnus paajarvi-svensson and taylor hall.

(if im mistaken and it started in the 2008 draft and not the 2007 draft, replace gagner with nugent-hopkins which makes it look even worse)

Old
05-05-2012, 09:04 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

I don't think Edmonton is in a very good position at all even with all their 1st rd picks. My guess is that they are still a number of yrs away.

1. They are way too small at the forward position & drafting Yakopov doesn't make them any bigger.
2. They need to get better on defence & that will take some time to accumulate, yrs in fact.
3. Nicolai Khabiboulin is my favourite name in hockey, it just rolls off the tongue but he is way past his prime & they don't have elite goaltending to replace him.

Ottawa on the other hand is young everywhere too but has some good sized skilled forwards with toughness. They also have a number of very talented forwards & two good young defencemen. They have a starting goaltender & two good young prospects behind him. Ottawa also has 4 or 5 excellent young forward prospects coming in the next few yrs & Murray should improve their defence starting at this yr's draft.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

I sometimes wonder if every team is young now. It just seems to be a young player's league.

Old
05-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblad the Impaler View Post
I sometimes wonder if every team is young now. It just seems to be a young player's league.
Result of the cap. Teams need to bring in young guys on small salaries to produce to get the most out of their payroll.

Old
05-06-2012, 08:59 PM
bacon25

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I don't think Edmonton is in a very good position at all even with all their 1st rd picks. My guess is that they are still a number of yrs away.

1. They are way too small at the forward position & drafting Yakopov doesn't make them any bigger.
2. They need to get better on defence & that will take some time to accumulate, yrs in fact.
3. Nicolai Khabiboulin is my favourite name in hockey, it just rolls off the tongue but he is way past his prime & they don't have elite goaltending to replace him.

Ottawa on the other hand is young everywhere too but has some good sized skilled forwards with toughness. They also have a number of very talented forwards & two good young defencemen. They have a starting goaltender & two good young prospects behind him. Ottawa also has 4 or 5 excellent young forward prospects coming in the next few yrs & Murray should improve their defence starting at this yr's draft.
I think your pretty much right on this, but with one stellar goaltender they could be pretty competitive, I mean if Quick was goaltending this team they would have made the playoffs, they just dont' get enough consistent goaltending, but good on them for not throwing thier goaltenders under the bus like *cough* Toronto.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:08 PM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

What about Keaton Ellerby? Sounds like if Garrison stays he may be the odd man out according to some Florida fans, seems like the perfect fit for what Murray said he was looking for this summer and his age fits our rebuild mold.

Have no idea what his value would be however..

Old
05-09-2012, 05:18 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
Result of the cap. Teams need to bring in young guys on small salaries to produce to get the most out of their payroll.
False. Are you saying that there are bunch 30+ year old UFAs out there that are not playing in the league because they are demanding too much money? Doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMacSen View Post
What about Keaton Ellerby? Sounds like if Garrison stays he may be the odd man out according to some Florida fans, seems like the perfect fit for what Murray said he was looking for this summer and his age fits our rebuild mold.

Have no idea what his value would be however..
Meh. He'd be fine as a depth guy, but if this team is going anywhere next year they need a top 4 D, not a depth guy.

Old
05-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
False. Are you saying that there are bunch 30+ year old UFAs out there that are not playing in the league because they are demanding too much money? Doubt it.
It isn't false, and you completely put those words in my mouth. Teams are playing more kids on ELC's and hoping they play at a high level, maximizing their cap.

Old
05-09-2012, 05:57 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
It isn't false, and you completely put those words in my mouth. Teams are playing more kids on ELC's and hoping they play at a high level, maximizing their cap.
If teams are playing cheap youngsters (assuming instead more expensive veterans to save cap space), then there are more unemployed expensive veterans right?

I doubt that's true. Guys aren't being kicked out of the league just because teams favor young guys on ELC. At least not more than they would be if the cap wasn't around. If the cap is a reason for a younger league, then there must be old guys demanding more money than youngsters.

Old
05-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
If teams are playing cheap youngsters (assuming instead more expensive veterans to save cap space), then there are more unemployed expensive veterans right?

I doubt that's true. Guys aren't being kicked out of the league just because teams favor young guys on ELC. At least not more than they would be if the cap wasn't around. If the cap is a reason for a younger league, then there must be old guys demanding more money than youngsters.
When you are near the cap, you need to dress younger guys on ELC's to fill your roster and stay under the cap. You can either sign older guys who have limited skills at a very small salary, or play your young guys at a similar salary and hope they play at a higher level.

Just look at the average age of teams the last 3 years, and the average age 3 years before the cap came in.

Old
05-09-2012, 06:15 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
The thing is you can get older guys for cheap.

Old
05-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
I think he means brining in young 20 goal scorers like Seguin and Hall for 3 million vs paying a guy like Vanek 7 million.

After their entry level contracts and the Halls and Seguins demand 6-7 million, you put in a couple new young guns on entry level to balance it out.

He wasnt saying players 30+ are garbage.

Old
05-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
The thing is you can get older guys for cheap.
Who would most teams choose. Sean Donovan at 1,000,000 playing 7 mins a game, where you know what you are getting, or a NHL capable 22 year old making 700,000 playing 7 mins who is capable of bringing something else to the table.

You use to be able to fill your team with UFA's, now with the cap and price of UFA's rising, teams must promote from within.

Old
05-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
I think he means brining in young 20 goal scorers like Seguin and Hall for 3 million vs paying a guy like Vanek 7 million.

After their entry level contracts and the Halls and Seguins demand 6-7 million, you put in a couple new young guns on entry level to balance it out.

He wasnt saying players 30+ are garbage.
Yes exactly, to stay competitive teams need to dress younger players on ELC's to afford their true star players who are not on the ELC salaries.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:00 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Continue here.