HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Molodezhnaya Hokkeinaya Liga (MHL) - Part II

View Poll Results: Does the MHL need a NEW thread for the 2013/2014 season?
Yes, it would be more convinient 1 25.00%
No, lets keep everything in one place 3 75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-28-2013, 02:54 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

vCash: 500
Jokerit will need MHL team, right?

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:10 PM
seeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
why ? they have teams in finland junior leagues ...

seeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:36 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Usually new KHL teams can stay out of the MHL for a year...

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 07:42 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Usually new KHL teams can stay out of the MHL for a year...
Non-russian KHL team does not have to join MHL, ever. On the other hand it is good for these teams to have MHL team, because juniors used to better league/travelling etc.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:49 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
why was the "wasting talent in the CHL" closed? and no explanation in the thread?
anyhow, Tolchinksiy, Dikushin, Vorob'ev - before leaving to NA - cream of the crop of Russian juniors born in 95, arguably top-5 forwards and top-3 d-man (Vorob'ev was rated higher than Zadorov) end up not even being drafted.....

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:07 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
why was the "wasting talent in the CHL" closed? and no explanation in the thread?
anyhow, Tolchinksiy, Dikushin, Vorob'ev - before leaving to NA - cream of the crop of Russian juniors born in 95, arguably top-5 forwards and top-3 d-man (Vorob'ev was rated higher than Zadorov) end up not even being drafted.....
Not sure about Vorobyov, but both forwards you mention are really small. :/ And as long as they continue development who cares whether they are or are not drafted.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:39 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
There is no doubt in some cases they haven't progressed as expected, but the NHL draft shouldn't be used as a measurement of progression for the vast majority of Russian prospects. The NHL draft is heavily biased against Russian prospects. Look at how many Russian based prospects were drafted this year and where they went.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:47 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
There is no doubt in some cases they haven't progressed as expected, but the NHL draft shouldn't be used as a measurement of progression for the vast majority of Russian prospects. The NHL draft is heavily biased against Russian prospects. Look at how many Russian based prospects were drafted this year and where they went.
well, it's not only NHL draft, but also the NT stopped calling them up as well (even though Vorobiev was called up the last time if I am not mistaken)...They have clearly regressed, imho.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:56 AM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
I agree that going to NA isn't the best route, in fact I have good evidence from Holland -GM of DRW who have had best track record of developing Euros in past 20 years. He also says this...

Regardless, it is funny to see guys like Slepyshev and Yakimov who didn't go to NA go so high in the draft. Some scouting services who polled NHL scouts didnt even have these guys ranked (cough -Mckenzie)!

However, Tolchinsky was immediately given an invite to the Rangers camp after the draft... If you recall, Makarov had the same situation happen to him last year. He was passed up in draft, but then earned a contract through a camp invite (already 4 months after the draft he was in a better position with NHL team than 90% of the drafted players). So as people say, camp invites can be seen as the 8th round to the draft.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:57 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
IMO, Russians should follow Swedish path and say that players going for NA youth leagues won't be picked for international tournaments. That should keep a fair bunch at home.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:03 AM
malkinfan

Quote:
well, it's not only NHL draft, but also the NT stopped calling them up as well (even though Vorobiev was called up the last time if I am not mistaken)...They have clearly regressed, imho.
Vorobiev I blame on bad agent work. He played for Portland, the most stacked team in junior hockey besides Halifax. Same team that had Seth Jones, by the end of the year Vorobiev wasn't even dressing...

Old
07-01-2013, 11:03 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

IMO Russians (FHR after is under KHL control) will ban transfers of russians outside Russian until the kid is 18yrs. Hockey Canada has such rule and nobody has problem with it.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:13 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Vorobiev I blame on bad agent work. He played for Portland, the most stacked team in junior hockey besides Halifax. Same team that had Seth Jones, by the end of the year Vorobiev wasn't even dressing...
ok, why should a possibly best Russian project on D be inferior to Seth Jones (in theory?) I think it's on the player, agent, and the move.

As for "vzhik" I wish him all the best...Loved him for Red Army and the NT before he had moved.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:14 AM
malkinfan

Quote:
IMO Russians (FHR after is under KHL control) will ban transfers of russians outside Russian until the kid is 18yrs. Hockey Canada has such rule and nobody has problem with it.
How is the law enforced? Simple banishment from NT? I dont know if that would have a huge effect.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:36 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
How is the law enforced? Simple banishment from NT? I dont know if that would have a huge effect.
Something like in Canada, but it is just my opinion .. I would do it if I were FHR/KHL.

Quote:
INTERNATIONAL TRANSFER PROCEDURES 18.
No player of Minor hockey age shall be transferred from Hockey Canada to any other member of the International Ice Hockey Federation except as provided by Regulation H.8 (b). Players that wish to transfer without their parents must make application to Hockey
Canada.
Quote:
H.8.
Notwithstanding Regulations H.1 to H.7 inclusive, a player shall not require a written release under the following conditions:

b)
When a player is of Junior hockey age or under and resides with his parent and the parent changes his place of residence and the player continues to reside with his parent. When a release under this regulation involves a Branch-to-Branch transfer, it shall be the responsibility of the registrar of the player’s new Branch to ensure, by statement or otherwise, that the player is qualified under this exemptio
Quote:
A. DEFINITIONS

“Minor Hockey” - only includes the following Divisions: Juvenile, Midget, Bantam, Pee Wee, Atom, Novice, Initiation and the Divisions created under Regulation B.2. (See Regulations B.1 and B.2)

B. COMPETITION

1. This Association governs competition in amateur hockey in various Divisions, including:

c)Juvenile Male and Female Open to players twenty (20) years of age and younger in the current playing season

i) Initiation Male and Female Open to players six (6) years of age and younger in the current playing season
https://www.hockeycalgary.ca/assets/...013_Bylaws.pdf (page 92 and later)

I think my english is good enough to understand it.
It is very simple, Hockey Canada does not sign such IIHF ITC

Old
07-01-2013, 01:02 PM
cska78

I want to congratulate M. Vasiliev with becoming the Head Coach of the Red Army team, and CSKA with ridding themselves from Mr. Uvaev.

Last edited by cska78: 07-01-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old
07-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Excellent points! The tell-all case is that of Nichushkin. You can construct a good argument that he is the best player in the draft, at times dominating as a 17-year old in the KHL while skating a regular shift for a top-flight team, and he ends up drafted 10th by the NHL. Ironically, he has no valid KHL contract binding him, and he is expected to show up at the Stars Developmental camp. They may have gotten a steal!

Yakushev72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
ok, why should a possibly best Russian project on D be inferior to Seth Jones (in theory?) I think it's on the player, agent, and the move.

As for "vzhik" I wish him all the best...Loved him for Red Army and the NT before he had moved.
I totally agree with your point about Seth Jones. But even if you were to allow for the premise that Jones is the best thing since canned beer, there are still 5 other D slots where Vorobiev could and should have been assigned. How many huge career setbacks before promising kids start getting the point?

Old
07-02-2013, 05:44 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
I totally agree with your point about Seth Jones. But even if you were to allow for the premise that Jones is the best thing since canned beer, there are still 5 other D slots where Vorobiev could and should have been assigned. How many huge career setbacks before promising kids start getting the point?
the mentality of a teenager, that everyone before and after me can fail, but I will succeed in spite of statistics.

Old
07-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
the mentality of a teenager, that everyone before and after me can fail, but I will succeed in spite of statistics.
Exactly! You have to wonder about the mentality of kids standing no taller than 168 cm. that come over convinced that they are NHL prospects. You have to be highly gifted, and hopefully weigh at least 85 kg to have an outside chance of making it.

Old
07-02-2013, 09:57 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Exactly! You have to wonder about the mentality of kids standing no taller than 168 cm. that come over convinced that they are NHL prospects. You have to be highly gifted, and hopefully weigh at least 85 kg to have an outside chance of making it.
Therefore must IIHF or national hockey federations ban/restrict movement of players under 18 yrs (like FIFA/FIBA or Hockey Canada did)

Old
07-02-2013, 10:50 AM
cska78

Quote:
Therefore must IIHF or national hockey federations ban/restrict movement of players under 18 yrs (like FIFA/FIBA or Hockey Canada did)
no argument here

Old
07-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
I agree with you and CSKA.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:58 PM
cska78

i think 15 russians are drafted in the CHL import draft already, couple of Latv players, Belorussian too....disaster...

Old
07-03-2013, 05:35 PM
malkinfan

Quote:
i think 15 russians are drafted in the CHL import draft already, couple of Latv players, Belorussian too....disaster...
and whats worse is it has grown over past 3 seasons... And guys are actually reporting, last year there were only maybe 2 guys who did not report (Vasilevsky, some other lower rated prospect). Some of the guys who didn't make the cut even opted to play in lower NA leagues rather than return home... These numbers don't even include guys going to other leagues like USHL NAHL etc.. Id guess around 40 top to good ranked players not in MHL but in NA instead.