HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Bishop traded to Ottawa for 2nd round pick in 2013

Old
02-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Ched Brosky

vCash: 500
hey just wodering who is going to be backing up or starting if jake allen isn't for the riverman? any blues fans know? the blues only have 3 goalies under contract now and the riverman's site doesn't list any other goalie besides jake allen

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:39 AM
tvillewr4

COngrats Ben! Ready to see Allen carry the load in the AHL and in a year and a half battle for the NHL backup gig

tvillewr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Louie the Blue
Because it's a trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
Glad Big Ben gets a chance. We also got a nice return. Not too shabby. Now lets shore up the big club.
Amen.

Louie the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:43 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
I am glad I have a team I can root for to tank next year. Sorry Ottawa, nothing personal.
No offense taken, I can understand WHY you're rooting for us to tank, just don't EXPECT it.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

Good deal all around. 2nd ain't a bad return at all. I'm glad Bishop gets the shot he deserves.

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Stillflexin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Hey Blues fans, can anyone give me a scouting report on Bishop? We all know that he's very tall, but what are his strengths and weaknesses? Thanks.

Oh, and I don't think the Sens will be sucking next year. This is, much like St. Louis, a team on the rise.
From what we have seen from Bishop his only weakness is lack of NHL experience. Bishop has great movement and is very quick. The games he played during the NHL were in front of struggling Blues teams, although I do believe he tied or holds the records for most shots faced for a shutout for a rookie at 39.

If you can't already tell, everyone in STL loves Bishop and was actually expecting him to be the backup until this guy named Elliott came out of nowhere and decided to put up record breaking numbers. Bishop has the ability to be a starter on teams like Jakcets, Leafs, Tampa Bay, and Chicago. He also has the ability to be a backup challenging for starts on a team like Ottawa, Philly, NJD, and Edmonton.

Stillflexin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:26 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillflexin View Post
From what we have seen from Bishop his only weakness is lack of NHL experience. Bishop has great movement and is very quick. The games he played during the NHL were in front of struggling Blues teams, although I do believe he tied or holds the records for most shots faced for a shutout for a rookie at 39.

If you can't already tell, everyone in STL loves Bishop and was actually expecting him to be the backup until this guy named Elliott came out of nowhere and decided to put up record breaking numbers. Bishop has the ability to be a starter on teams like Jakcets, Leafs, Tampa Bay, and Chicago. He also has the ability to be a backup challenging for starts on a team like Ottawa, Philly, NJD, and Edmonton.
Thanks for the info. So his lateral movement is good, along with things like his positioning, coming out to challenge shooters, and rebound control? Good to hear. Just wondering though (not to doubt what you are saying) if he is so NHL ready, why wasn't he backing up Halak this year, instead of the Blues going out and signing Elliott in the offseason?

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:41 PM
ItsOnlytheRiver

Quote:
Thanks for the info. So his lateral movement is good, along with things like his positioning, coming out to challenge shooters, and rebound control? Good to hear. Just wondering though (not to doubt what you are saying) if he is so NHL ready, why wasn't he backing up Halak this year, instead of the Blues going out and signing Elliott in the offseason?
I don't think the Blues trusted him, and that was even more evident when he seemingly outplayed Elliott in the preseason and was still sent down.

His play this season is probably the reason why anyone would think he's NHL ready. He put in his time, and was the best AHL goalie this year. All this happened after we signed Elliott.

ItsOnlytheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:47 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

I like deals like that which are good for all involved parties

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Clay Squares

A 2nd round pick is a good return for Bishop. He's ready for the NHL and with us locking up Elliot for a few years you could see this one coming. Good luck to Ben.

Clay Squares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:55 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsOnlytheRiver View Post
I don't think the Blues trusted him, and that was even more evident when he seemingly outplayed Elliott in the preseason and was still sent down.

His play this season is probably the reason why anyone would think he's NHL ready. He put in his time, and was the best AHL goalie this year. All this happened after we signed Elliott.
Why didn't they trust him? It sounds like he played well in the preseason and deserved a roster spot.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:01 PM
frankielax

Quote:
Why didn't they trust him? It sounds like he played well in the preseason and deserved a roster spot.
Army really values experience, which Elliot had and Ben did not. That is the only reason Elliot got the backup job in the first place.

frankielax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Stillflexin*

Quote:
They wanted to go with Elliott's experience. Bishop (in my opinion) was the best goalie during the preseason as well. I think everyone was actually shocked after how well he did in camp and preseason he still didn't get the go ahead instead of Elliott. The one time they started Elliott he decided to play insane which has kept Bishop down this season.

Stillflexin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:34 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Quote:
Elliott and Bishop played equally well in camp and tie went to the guy with far more NHL experience to back up Halak. Then Elliott stole the show from Day 1. Bishop was disappointed, sucked it up, went down to Peoria determined and has had a great year down there, which tells you about his character.

Personally, I was in the group rooting for Elliott to get the backup job as I didn't trust Bishop. He'd been shaky in his time with the Blues and hadn't been particularly great in Peoria. Love the St. Louis angle and proud of his determination but this was easily his breakthrough year, as mainly it was the St. Louis angle and that he's a nice guy that had people wanting him to be part of the Blues' future, not his skill. Now, it seems he may be proving skeptics like me and others wrong. I hope he continues to do it and shines for Ottawa.

Good return in the trade. I'd been saying 3d a lot because I knew if I said a 2d the consensus would be that's too much to expect. Not sure he goes for a 2d if Anderson doesn't cut himself like Maggie Gyllenhaal in Secretary.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:49 PM
execwrite

A complete steal by the Blues. They had no leverage. Bishop walks away for nothing in about six weeks.

A second-round pick is a great return for an AHL goalie.

Rundblad for Tarasenko - Bishop for a 2nd round pick. Hey Ottawa - call anytime.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:55 PM
koreaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
A complete steal by the Blues. They had no leverage. Bishop walks away for nothing in about six weeks.

Rundblad for Tarasenko - Bishop for a 2nd round pick. Hey Ottawa - call anytime.
you DO know that rundblad got us turris, right?

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:56 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Thanks for the feedback, Blues fans. You are showing yourselves to be knowledgeable and classy fans. Hopefully you get a nice prospect with that pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post

I don't think the Rundblad - Tarasenko trade was a steal for the Blues at all. Rundblad is still a great prospect and should be a good Dman for Pheonix (or wherever they end up), and Ottawa parlayed him into Kyle Turris, a very good, young 2nd line center, who is only going to get stronger and better. As for this trade, if Bishop and Lehner end up being as good of a combo as they look like they can be, its a great deal for Ottawa. They could be like Thomas and Rask in a few years.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:00 PM
execwrite

[QUOTE=internetdotcom;44974517]Thanks for the feedback, Blues fans. You are showing yourselves to be knowledgeable and classy fans. Hopefully you get a nice prospect with that pick.

I don't think the Rundblad - Tarasenko trade was a steal for the Blues at all. Rundblad is still a great prospect and should be a good Dman for Pheonix (or wherever they end up), and Ottawa parlayed him into Kyle Turris, a very good, young 2nd line center, who is only going to get stronger and better. As for this trade, if Bishop and Lehner end up being as good of a combo as they look like they can be, its a great deal for Ottawa. They could be like Thomas and Rask in a few years.[/QUOTE]

Great prospects don't get traded twice in two years.

Bishop is never going to be Thomas or Rask.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:10 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
turris' production has slowed down considerably

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:20 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

[QUOTE=execwrite;44974893]
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, Blues fans. You are showing yourselves to be knowledgeable and classy fans. Hopefully you get a nice prospect with that pick.

I don't think the Rundblad - Tarasenko trade was a steal for the Blues at all. Rundblad is still a great prospect and should be a good Dman for Pheonix (or wherever they end up), and Ottawa parlayed him into Kyle Turris, a very good, young 2nd line center, who is only going to get stronger and better. As for this trade, if Bishop and Lehner end up being as good of a combo as they look like they can be, its a great deal for Ottawa. They could be like Thomas and Rask in a few years.[/QUOTE]

Great prospects don't get traded twice in two years.

Bishop is never going to be Thomas or Rask.
You can't say that with any more certainty than I can say that they will. Say what you want about Rundblad, but he is a great prospect. You have to give to get, and Pheonix wouldn't have just handed Turris over to us without getting something great back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
turris' production has slowed down considerably
I don't know how much Sens hockey you've watched, but I watch every single Sens game, and I can tell you that even when Turris isn't putting up points , he's still creating chances and playing well defensively. And it doesn't help that his only legit linemate, Alfie, has slumped a bit lately.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:27 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

The reason the Blues had leverage is that multiple teams wanted Bishop AND that a team like Ottawa had an emergency situation in goal. Auld's performance last night against Boston sealed the deal.

I've probably said this ten times but the RFA/UFA thing was literally irrelevant if a team wanted him. Over and over and over I pointed out that Bishop would sign a one-year one way contract with his acquiring team for basically the league minimum. It had nothing to do with getting him 17 games or whatever. He wanted an NHL roster spot and would have signed with any team who wanted him badly enough to trade an asset for him. And lo and behold.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:21 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Yes. But I can't say he would be as happy to come to St. Louis as he would the Senators. It seems to me that his problem was he wanted to play somewhere where hockey is #1. That is not Phoenix. Nor St. Louis.

That said, the extra cost-controlled years of Tarasenko is a large factor in a small market like St. Louis.

Frankly, I never thought the Blues could get a second round pick for Bishop. I didn't think they would trade him to be honest. Just didn't think the return would be worth it.

Now hopefully Armstrong can go bargain shopping tomorrow for a little depth, I'd be thrilled. Just see what he can get for a third. All things equal, if I'm the GM of another team, I'd see the Blues third as more valuable than that of a top contender like Vancouver, New York, or Boston.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Alklha

Wish him nothing but the best in Ottawa.

The amazing season Elliott has had meant we had to sign him to an extension considering it was only costing $1.8m a year for a guy that had really proven himself. If Elliott had started the season like Halak did, the outcome might have been very different for Bishop here.

Disappointing that he didn't get a chance, but we didn't really have an option but to move him.

Quote:
I think his point is that the Blues are delighted about the return from both deals, which is true. Doesn't mean the Sens can't also be delighted with the return for both deals as well.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 03:45 PM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

Quote:

I don't think the Rundblad - Tarasenko trade was a steal for the Blues at all. Rundblad is still a great prospect and should be a good Dman for Pheonix (or wherever they end up), and Ottawa parlayed him into Kyle Turris, a very good, young 2nd line center, who is only going to get stronger and better. As for this trade, if Bishop and Lehner end up being as good of a combo as they look like they can be, its a great deal for Ottawa. They could be like Thomas and Rask in a few years.
Or Halak and Elliott

Meatwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 03:52 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Reading through the 11-page thread on the Asylum is hilarious. It has now become gospel that "Bishop outplayed Elliott" in camp.

This is fiction. Elliott had the better numbers and by all accounts they played even. I followed this closely at the time, it really doesn't matter what Bob McKenzie is saying in the past few days, he's wrong, it's putting a spin that I'm sure Blues folks were all too happy to whisper so the value could be driven up. They had a flat tie in camp and tie goes to the guy who had 100+ NHL games, not the one who'd been unreliable and bad in his limited NHL time. That's a no-brainer.

On top of which, that decision is leader in the running for NHL Best Camp Decision of the 11-12 season. It's not even debatable. Elliott covered the teams' ass while Halak was diarrhetically ******** himself in October and posting a .843 over a seven game span. Elliott flat out stole the early season game in San Jose and was stellar and calm every time in net.

Lot of Elliott bashing going on in that thread. Pretty pathetic. A 2d round pick is a huge win for the Blues. Bishop would not have re-signed with the Blues as UFA, he was determined to play in the NHL. I feel a million times more confident with Elliott than I do Bishop. Honestly, good luck to Ben Bishop, but there have been tons of goalies who have played a stellar AHL year and been nothing.