HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Bishop traded to Ottawa for 2nd round pick in 2013

Old
02-26-2012, 03:53 PM
River City Rumble
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
So, the 2nd round pick will be in 2013 when Ottawa (most likely) finishes worst than this year and the draft will be deep, all of this when it was most likely that Bishop would only return maybe a 3rd in this year's draft. Doug Armstrong you're so cool

River City Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 03:57 PM
kittensmasher
moe.ron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIE RAY BLUES View Post
Would much rather have seen Bishop packaged with some other futures for a forward with sniping ability. This ownership thing is killing our ability to make a serious move....Ho Hum trade deadline...Hate to be the downer here but without a move at forward we are destined for a 2nd round exit barring an act of God.
I'm as frustrated with the ownership situation as anybody. But seriously dude, if you've followed this team through thick and thin since the lockout, would you honestly be that disappointed with a second round exit? And I don't mean "disappointed" as in "Well ****...season's over, no Cup this year," I'm talking disappointed as in "We should have done much better and we blew it." I sure wouldn't.

Say this young team can't catch Detroit and ends up going to war with Nashville/Chicago in the first round and wins, then falls to the Wings or Canucks in the second. All things considered, I'm pretty damn happy with that season. I'd rather stand pat at the deadline or shore up the defense with a minor acquisition than overreact with a premature "This could be the year!!" mentality and give up assets that we shouldn't be giving up trying to land that "sniper" who's supposed to be the missing piece up front (especially with Tarasenko/Schwartz on the horizon).

Last edited by kittensmasher: 02-26-2012 at 04:06 PM.
kittensmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 03:59 PM
dao256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
hey just wodering who is going to be backing up or starting if jake allen isn't for the riverman? any blues fans know? the blues only have 3 goalies under contract now and the riverman's site doesn't list any other goalie besides jake allen
David McKee, of Quad City in the CHL

dao256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Falco Lombardi
LET'S GO BLUES

Really interesting to see how Jake Allen responds to this trade.

Falco Lombardi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Sniper
It's learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dany View Post
David McKee, of Quad City in the CHL
Congrats to that guy... whoever he is.

Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
you DO know that rundblad got us turris, right?
So you're saying you were on the losing end of a deal involving David Rundblad twice?

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Robb_K

He was with Peoria at the beginning of the season. Had he signed with them and was loaned to Quad Cities? Or did he just get a tryout then, and was signed after the Bishop trade?

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Congrats to that guy... whoever he is.
McKee will likely not see a minute in the nets for Peoria other than in the pre-game warmups.

Allen will carry the load until Clarkson University's season is done, which it should be sometime prior to St. Patrick's Day... at which time Paul Karpowich will be signed and brought in to AwesomeTown to be Allen's backup.

Old
02-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
He was with Peoria at the beginning of the season. Had he signed with them and was loaned to Quad Cities? Or did he just get a tryout then, and was signed after the Bishop trade?
McKee's been the "go-to" guy for Peoria whenever they've needed an emergency backup this year... mainly because Quad Cities (Moline) is only about an hour's drive from Peoria (Bloomington is too, but the ex-Prairie Thunder, now Blaze, are the worst team in pro hockey this year).

As far as I know, he's not under contract to either the Blues or Peoria, and is just there on a PTO contract until they can get Karpowich to P-Town.

Old
02-26-2012, 05:48 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
McKee will likely not see a minute in the nets for Peoria other than in the pre-game warmups.

Allen will carry the load until Clarkson University's season is done, which it should be sometime prior to St. Patrick's Day... at which time Paul Karpowich will be signed and brought in to AwesomeTown to be Allen's backup.
How has Karpowich been playing in the second half of the season? I read a month or so ago that he was close to breaking Clarkson's all-time saves record.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:49 PM
SirPaste

Good for Ben, I hope he gets the chance to play, wish him the best. Im very happy with a 2nd in return, was expecting less

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:54 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post

According to their schedule, it looks like Clarkson plays a best of three next weekend in the first round of the ECAC tournament. If they lose that, maybe Karpowich is available after next weekend.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Spektre

I thought we'd trade Bishop. I just thought we'd get more for him in a bigger package deal. I was thinking Bishop, and one of our draft picks for a veteran D.

Spektre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:08 PM
letowskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektre View Post
I thought we'd trade Bishop. I just thought we'd get more for him in a bigger package deal. I was thinking Bishop, and one of our draft picks for a veteran D.
Why don't you just package up this 2nd, plus a 3rd in 12 or 13, and add a prospect like McRae or Fairchild to get something worthwhile.

letowskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:24 PM
jerrywally23*

Thomas is in his golden years of his Hockey Career. So why would Boston trade I young superstar Goalie Rask who has a GAA 2.05 and a save percentage .929 and keep a Goalie that will probably retire in 2 years.

jerrywally23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:24 PM
BlueBeard

I wish nothing but the best of luck to Bishop. He worked hard to improve his game and now he gets his shot.

Does anyone wanna take a stab at how long it takes before Bishop is grossly overhyped on the main boards? I'm guessing five weeks. God help us if he puts up a shutout in the first start....

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:37 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
I wish nothing but the best of luck to Bishop. He worked hard to improve his game and now he gets his shot.

Does anyone wanna take a stab at how long it takes before Bishop is grossly overhyped on the main boards? I'm guessing five weeks. God help us if he puts up a shutout in the first start....
Already happening. Didn't you know that he is the best goalie not currently in the NHL?

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Spektre

Quote:
Originally Posted by letowskie View Post
Why don't you just package up this 2nd, plus a 3rd in 12 or 13, and add a prospect like McRae or Fairchild to get something worthwhile.
Well, to be honest, I'm not Doug Armstrong

Seriously they could I guess. You just never know what Army will pull off.

To the guy complaining about ownership and the Blues being destined for a 2nd round bounce: I'd be happy with the Blues season if they do get to the 2nd round and then lose. In case you hadn't noticed "ownership" is still up in the air so I'm not sure who you're frustrated with exactly.

I'll just be happy to see ownership get resolved.

Spektre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:47 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

can't wait to watch his first start with the Sens

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:48 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Already happening. Didn't you know that he is the best goalie not currently in the NHL?
Meh I can kind of see that. I'm sure there is a goalie or two in Europe that might be better but might not ever come over. In terms of goalie currently not playing in the NHL that wants to play in the NHL ASAP then yeah I think that's a fair assessment.

I've only caught two Riv's games this year(and the all star game) but there is a pretty big difference between Bishop now and when I saw him his first couple years in Peoria. He's controlling his rebounds better, glove hand is better, lateral movement is better with him overshooting his angles less frequently. He's ready for NHL competition.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:57 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Reading through the 11-page thread on the Asylum is hilarious. It has now become gospel that "Bishop outplayed Elliott" in camp.

This is fiction. Elliott had the better numbers and by all accounts they played even. I followed this closely at the time, it really doesn't matter what Bob McKenzie is saying in the past few days, he's wrong, it's putting a spin that I'm sure Blues folks were all too happy to whisper so the value could be driven up. They had a flat tie in camp and tie goes to the guy who had 100+ NHL games, not the one who'd been unreliable and bad in his limited NHL time. That's a no-brainer.

On top of which, that decision is leader in the running for NHL Best Camp Decision of the 11-12 season. It's not even debatable. Elliott covered the teams' ass while Halak was diarrhetically ******** himself in October and posting a .843 over a seven game span. Elliott flat out stole the early season game in San Jose and was stellar and calm every time in net.

Lot of Elliott bashing going on in that thread. Pretty pathetic. A 2d round pick is a huge win for the Blues. Bishop would not have re-signed with the Blues as UFA, he was determined to play in the NHL. I feel a million times more confident with Elliott than I do Bishop. Honestly, good luck to Ben Bishop, but there have been tons of goalies who have played a stellar AHL year and been nothing.
Blues fans have always just been enamored with the fact Bishop was 6'7" and from St. Louis, so this year's AHL all-star campaign just furthered their belief that Bishop was the next coming of Patrick Roy. It's ridiculous. Who was tearing it up in the AHL as a early/mid 20's prospect last year and where are they now? Brad Theissen has an .885 SV% in the AHL this year. Mark Dekanich failed to win the backup job in Columbus before getting hurt for the year. Richard Bachman has done alright as the backup in Dallas, but his AHL numbers were bad this year.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:08 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
They may be right that the best goalie not currently in the NHL is a Blues draft pick, but it isn't Bishop.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 07:16 PM
letowskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektre View Post
Well, to be honest, I'm not Doug Armstrong

Seriously they could I guess. You just never know what Army will pull off.

To the guy complaining about ownership and the Blues being destined for a 2nd round bounce: I'd be happy with the Blues season if they do get to the 2nd round and then lose. In case you hadn't noticed "ownership" is still up in the air so I'm not sure who you're frustrated with exactly.

I'll just be happy to see ownership get resolved.
I'm not frustrated by anything actually hockey related; just that the Blues' fans are still complaining while they got a pretty good pick for a guy that they likely would have lost for nothing. I just don't understand so much whining and negativity.

letowskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:29 PM
actionhank1786

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
I think this is a great deal for both teams.

You guys got a very nice (albeit delayed) pick, and we got a dependable NHL-caliber backup for the next while, and we ca let Lehner develop properly, without rushing him to the NHL and risk spoiling his high upside.

Well done, gents. A deal both sides can agree to? A rare occurrence in today's NHL.
I hope he kills for you guys. Guess i will have to start watching some Ottawa games now, i've always liked Bishop.
Good luck to you guys the rest of the season.

actionhank1786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:48 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Reading through the 11-page thread on the Asylum is hilarious. It has now become gospel that "Bishop outplayed Elliott" in camp.

This is fiction. Elliott had the better numbers and by all accounts they played even. I followed this closely at the time, it really doesn't matter what Bob McKenzie is saying in the past few days, he's wrong, it's putting a spin that I'm sure Blues folks were all too happy to whisper so the value could be driven up. They had a flat tie in camp and tie goes to the guy who had 100+ NHL games, not the one who'd been unreliable and bad in his limited NHL time. That's a no-brainer.

On top of which, that decision is leader in the running for NHL Best Camp Decision of the 11-12 season. It's not even debatable. Elliott covered the teams' ass while Halak was diarrhetically ******** himself in October and posting a .843 over a seven game span. Elliott flat out stole the early season game in San Jose and was stellar and calm every time in net.

Lot of Elliott bashing going on in that thread. Pretty pathetic. A 2d round pick is a huge win for the Blues. Bishop would not have re-signed with the Blues as UFA, he was determined to play in the NHL. I feel a million times more confident with Elliott than I do Bishop. Honestly, good luck to Ben Bishop, but there have been tons of goalies who have played a stellar AHL year and been nothing.
Yeah, I agree...there is some re-writing of history going on here.

I wish Bishop well, but I was not surprised Elliott won the job. Armstrong created a situation in camp with some competition, and I think it benefited all 3 goalies (including Halak).

It remains to be seen whether Bishop can play consistently well at the NHL level. Good luck to him.

Sens fans, I think you're getting a slightly emotionally tainted favorable review of Bishop. He's shown shaky composure at times in the NHL (as a rookie) and made gaffes, but most of that is just inexperience and nerves.

I think his biggest positive attribute is that he's been working hard the past 3-4 years to make himself a better player. I don't follow him closely in Peoria, but his positioning seems to be improved in the few chances I've had to see him.

I'll be watching with great curiosity to see how he does. Sometimes rookie goalies can do well for a few months until the scouting reports get around. I won't be surprised if he shines for the end of this season, and then looks a lot more human next year. Either way, he deserves and is good enough for a permanent NHL spot.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote