HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Aeneas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
From what the media is saying, Jim Nill isn't being held back by the Red Wings, he just chooses not to leave them.

How are we supposed to lure him? I'd love nothing but give him 100% autonomy, and let him bring his own team in.
I have no doubt they will be in contact with him, and i dont think we will ever find out his true feelings unless he receives the job. But i can see why he would feel comfortable in Detroit, being groomed to be a GM there, most stable franchise past decade, had helped the current team, wouldnt have to start fresh

But like the guys on TSN 990 were saying, Habs GM is a prestigious position/ upgrade over being GM of most teams, that could be filled by other current GM's ( Tallon, Lombardi, Wilson, Lamourello? )

Old
03-30-2012, 11:28 AM
habitue*

The next habs GM is someone who is already available or will be available in two weeks (because his team is eliminated) when the regular season is over.

Because there is no point firing Gauthier yesterday if it's not "rush", and if the next GM is available only in mid-June.

Another possible candidate: Denis Potvin. Broadcasting hockey games in Florida and now in Ottawa since the last 20 years almost. He knows the league. perfectly bilingual. Good communicator. A proven winner.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Aeneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Because there is no point firing Gauthier yesterday if it's not "rush", and if the next GM is available only in mid-June.

not necessarily, if they knew they were going to fire him after being eliminated why not get started right away, gives you more time to look

Old
03-30-2012, 11:35 AM
onice

vCash: 50
Quote:
Another possible candidate: Denis Potvin. Broadcasting hockey games in Florida and now in Ottawa since the last 20 years almost. He knows the league. perfectly bilingual. Good communicator. A proven winner.
Man, I don't want him anywhere near the Habs. He was a great d man but have you listened to him.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:37 AM
tiredman

I don't understand why almost nobody mentions André Savard.

The guy has done a very good job as GM of this team. He had to clean the mess left by Houle and started to rebuild a solid young team during his tenure...

Look at the draft between 2001 and 2003 included.

Plekanec
Komisarek
Higgins
Halak
Kostitsyn
Lapierre
O'Byrne
Perezhogin

That's pretty good in 3 years. And don't forget he's also the guy that decided to hire Trevor Timmins (that's one of the best thing to have happened for the habs in the last decade).

The team decided to replace him way too early...

I think bringing him back would be a very good decision for this team...

Old
03-30-2012, 11:39 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post

The guy has done a very good job as GM of this team. He had to clean the mess left by Houle and started to rebuild a solid young team during his tenure...

Plekanec
Komisarek
Higgins
Halak
Kostitsyn
Lapierre
O'Byrne
Perezhogin

That's pretty good in 3 years. And don't forget he's also the guy that decided to hire Trevor Timmins (that's one of the best thing to have happened for the habs in the last decade).

Savard is a very competent hockey mind. But certainly not the best communicator. He would be a great asst-GM in charge of Player development and drafting.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:39 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
I dont see why Brisson would become GM.

Could he be Agent and GM?
unless he want something new.
Nope. There would be a conflict of interest doing that. Mike Gillis is no longer a player agent in Vancouver.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
Old
03-30-2012, 11:41 AM
habitue*

Brisson won't come over. He has great businesses in South cal, is rich, and so on...

If they want a player agent and ex-hab, why not try Gilles Lupien ?

Old
03-30-2012, 11:41 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Yeah really, what is this all of a sudden? Is Damphousse paying people to talk him up? What credentials does he have outside of his RDS gig?
Seems to me that it is the French media that work with Damphousse on RDS that are pushing for his candidacy. As a result, some Quebecois viewers who actually view the RDS crew as experts have supported the notion of Damphousse as a GM but no one else in the hockey world thinks he would be a good GM. To me it seems like certain journalists (ie Francois Gagnon) who are pushing for him as GM want someone they have a personal relationship with in order to have easy access to information. That's the only thing I can think of becasue Damphousse has absolutely no experience in this capacity other than giving his 2 cents here and there on RDS.

And as we know, Francois Gagnon has a tendency to back his friends in the Habs organization (see Jacques Martin) which, to me, shows a total lack of credibility in his reporting.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:42 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Seems to me that it is the French media that work with Damphousse on RDS that are pushing for his candidacy. As a result, some Quebecois viewers who actually view the RDS crew as experts have supported the notion of Damphousse as a GM but no one else in the hockey world thinks he would be a good GM. To me it seems like certain journalists (ie Francois Gagnon) who are pushing for him as GM want someone they have a personal relationship with in order to have easy access to information. That's the only thing I can think of becasue Damphousse has absolutely no experience in this capacity other than giving his 2 cents here and there on RDS.

And as we know, Francois Gagnon has a tendency to back his friends in the Habs organization (see Jacques Martin) which, to me, shows a total lack of credibility in his reporting.
Reporters and journalists won't choose the next GM. None of us, too.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:48 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post

Plekanec
Komisarek
Higgins
Halak
Kostitsyn
Lapierre
O'Byrne
Perezhogin

All the players you've listed (other than Pleks) are no longer with the organization and most with good reason. Other than Pleks and Halak, I don't see anyone phenomenal in that draft list. I mean if André Savard was as good as you say he is he would've drafted Jeff Carter; Dustin Brown; Zach Parise; Ryan Kesler; Mike Richards; or Corey Perry all before Andrei Kostitsyn. Also Komisarek can't even crack the Leafs line up on most nights. O'Byrne? Really? Higgins is good but unfortunately he partied too hard while he was here. Lapierre is a third line grinder at best.

Molson wants to go in a "new" direction. You don't go in a new direction by bringing back former personnel.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Man, I don't want him anywhere near the Habs. He was a great d man but have you listened to him.
He wouldn't even make a quality HF boards poster.

Some of these names being thrown around are absolutely scary. Most of these people wouldn't get ANY consideration whatsoever from other teams. Quebec politics are so ******* annoying.

The game had passed Serge Savard by when he left eons ago, now he is a dinosaur trying to navigate through something that he could never understand. When Molson's took over this team we were in trouble......I just hope by some miracle that this team can avoid a repeat of the Houle era.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:58 AM
tiredman

Quote:
All the players you've listed (other than Pleks) are no longer with the organization and most with good reason. Other than Pleks and Halak, I don't see anyone phenomenal in that draft list. I mean if André Savard was as good as you say he is he would've drafted Jeff Carter; Dustin Brown; Zach Parise; Ryan Kesler; Mike Richards; or Corey Perry all before Andrei Kostitsyn. Also Komisarek can't even crack the Leafs line up on most nights. O'Byrne? Really? Higgins is good but unfortunately he partied too hard while he was here. Lapierre is a third line grinder at best.

Molson wants to go in a "new" direction. You don't go in a new direction by bringing back former personnel.
Yep. He would have drafted Carter instead of Kostitsyn. Savard said it himself but since he wasn't the GM anymore (was replaced a couple weeks before the draft but was still in charge of it), he went with his scouts decisions (he didn't have the authority anymore to tell them to go with Carter).

And not sure what you are trying to say with the other picks... Komisarek, O'Byrne, Lapierre and Higgins were all very good picks considering their draft year (Komisarek and Higgins) and the fact that they were not first round picks (O'Byrne and Lapierre).

Old
03-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
The next habs GM is someone who is already available or will be available in two weeks (because his team is eliminated) when the regular season is over.

Wow... Are you just looking for anybody that speaks french at this point? Or speaks french and knows the league?

What about Renaud Lavoie? He knows the league. perfectly bilingual. Good communicator.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:00 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
He wouldn't even make a quality HF boards poster.

Some of these names being thrown around are absolutely scary. Most of these people wouldn't get ANY consideration whatsoever from other teams. Quebec politics are so ******* annoying.

The game had passed Serge Savard by when he left eons ago, now he is a dinosaur trying to navigate through something that he could never understand. When Molson's took over this team we were in trouble......I just hope by some miracle that this team can avoid a repeat of the Houle era.
Politic has nothing to do with that. You're really in the left field about that.

When 80% of your clientele at the Bell is french-speaking 1st, and when this team was built ads a "French" Canadiens clube first and above all, you have to respect that.

And who the **** won these 24 Stanley Cups. teams with a majority of French speaking players.

DoN,t worry I have tremendous respect for all the Anglophones who carried the Torch with them, and made up amazing TEAMS.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:

This. And what's this "being a great communicator" BS now? What is it in Montreal that the standards aren't the same? Poile, Rutherford, Holland, Sheiro, not good "communicators, but good enough GM's. The more useless dumb attributes they will look for, the narrower the list will become. What will happen is that actual competence will be compromised for "communication". Ridiculous.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Oshawa General

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Yeah really, what is this all of a sudden? Is Damphousse paying people to talk him up? What credentials does he have outside of his RDS gig?
I really don't get either, what's he done since retiring, he took a secondary role in the PA, appears on RDS, hasn't taken any positions in Junior or the AHL to learn the ropes. He was also kinda of a soft player when he played, he wasn't really known as a leader, I just don't get it.
Very surprising that Guy Carbonneau's name hasn't popped up anywhere, love him or hate him, he was a leader when he played, has a good hockey mind and is a buddy of Patrick Roy

Old
03-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Politic has nothing to do with that. You're really in the left field about that.

When 80% of your clientele at the Bell is french-speaking 1st, and when this team was built ads a "French" Canadiens clube first and above all, you have to respect that.

And who the **** won these 24 Stanley Cups. teams with a majority of French speaking players.

DoN,t worry I have tremendous respect for all the Anglophones who carried the Torch with them, and made up amazing TEAMS.
This type of dinosaur mentality will hold you back. It can cause you to miss out on prospects, free agents and now coaches and GM's. You know there are many euro's in the league now? If you would rather lose in french than win in other languages, go ahead. Not saying you would lose, but you're limiting yourself.

Old
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Is Trevor Timmins a good communicator?

Old
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshawa General View Post
I really don't get either, what's he done since retiring, he took a secondary role in the PA, appears on RDS, hasn't taken any positions in Junior or the AHL to learn the ropes. He was also kinda of a soft player when he played, he wasn't really known as a leader, I just don't get it.
Very surprising that Guy Carbonneau's name hasn't popped up anywhere, love him or hate him, he was a leader when he played, has a good hockey mind and is a buddy of Patrick Roy
Carbonneau could be or should be an Assistant coach or assistant GM, no more. He doesn't have the top qualities required to be the main leader in these jobs. Communication is not his forte.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:20 PM
DDIHH

There is no way he'll be candidate, but I'd like Jarmo Kekäläinen to be the next GM.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:22 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDIHH View Post
There is no way he'll be candidate, but I'd like Jarmo Kekäläinen to be the next GM.
Yep. Would be great here.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
03-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDIHH View Post
Why is there no way he'd be a candidate?

Old
03-30-2012, 12:29 PM
DDIHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Why is there no way he'd be a candidate?
He don't speak french.
Not the greatest guy in front of the media.
Molson and Savard have probably no clue who he is.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Roy would be a great fit, and would be entertaing.

Closed Thread